• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Why is the Pokemon anime getting unpopular?

I Agree with Linkachu..Besides if they took out Pikachu as the mascot that would seem really really odd to me. lol thats what im used to seeing and I hate changes are replacements XD. Though if Pikachu is like the biggest deal to them, why cant we get it in every game?? XD That would be so awesome! I was angry when you Couldnt get it in Gold/Silver without trading or doing all this extra evil hard to do stuff...
I guess it doesnt matter about Pokemons popularity because no matter how much people hate it, there will still always be fans. Plus the creators would never hate there own project so if everyone hated it, they wouldnt XD Pokemon will live for centuries.

I Agree with Linkachu..Besides if they took out Pikachu as the mascot that would seem really really odd to me. lol thats what im used to seeing and I hate changes are replacements XD. Though if Pikachu is like the biggest deal to them, why cant we get it in every game?? XD That would be so awesome!

When I played Yellow, I didn't really know much about the game and I hated starting off with Pikachu instead of the starters. And worse yet, a Pikachu that wouldn't evolve. At least we had the opportunity to get the other (better) starters. I've never been a big fan of Pikachu. I much prefer Pichu and Raichu more. But as Linkachu said. Pikachu isn't going anywhere. Instead I content myself with Ash's other Pokemon. But Pikachu still has his moments in the Anime early on.

Well the formula for an episode is usually:

Ash(Whoever) gets somewhere or is going somewhere.
Ash battles a person
Ash loses to person
Ash learns of a pokemon/object/something to defeat said person
Team Rocket shows up
Team Rocket ends up accidentally helping Ash somehow
Ash gains the thing to help him defeat the person while learning some life lesson or some other subtle thing.
Ash faces person and wins.
People go on for about 3 episodes after this about how loving you pokemon is the strongest thing in battle and pretty much something no one in their right mind would ever say..... ever.

Yeah every episode is pretty much the same..... They should change it a little..... Uh. Its for younger audiences I guess. But you also must view that theres not much more to pokemon then that

IN addition a thing that would make the show more appealing Is Ash catching A POKEMON FROM TIME TO TIME GOSH

Olek

Yeah every episode is pretty much the same..... They should change it a little..... Uh. Its for younger audiences I guess. But you also must view that theres not much more to pokemon then that

IN addition a thing that would make the show more appealing Is Ash catching A POKEMON FROM TIME TO TIME GOSH

Olek

He does catch new pokemon more rarely than would be hoped.The first season he caught much more than he used...he even brought some back for later battles

Muk anyone?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I must agree. He did a lot of switching around in Battle Frontier, too, but it doesn't change the fact that he barely caught anything new in Hoenn... which irks me. For the Indigo League, he had multiple Pokemon to shift between, all of 'em caught in Kanto.

While the Hoenn League was meant to be different from the Johto League - which had an uber amount of return-appearances from oldies - it still would've been better if Ash had caught more Hoenn Pokemon overall and sent a few to Oak's. Some people are against him doing that, but hey... it's what trainers do. As long as the reason for why the Pokemon went to Oak's isn't completely ridiculous, I don't mind it.

Still, none of these reasons really make the Anime seem 'worse' in my eyes, they're just stuff I'd like to see happen in the D/P season. D/P has already had so many awesome moments, though, that I'm rather content with what they've been giving us. Ash still needs to catch another few new Pokemon, but it'll happen sooner or later.

He does catch new pokemon more rarely than would be hoped.The first season he caught much more than he used...he even brought some back for later battles

Muk anyone?
It would be nice if ash caught more pokemon, but like others said, really The show needs atleast somewhat of a switch up. Every season is the exact same thing, exact same team rocket incedents, all those things. Pokemon the anime has grown to savagly bore me due to how predictable it is or how goofy it gets. Idk, the games I geuss feel diffrent because well, even though the goal is the same the adventure leading up to it is always so diffrent. They way they sit down for months on end thinking of new inovations and side quests, along with story such as kill the universe with team galactic, lol, the anime should get the same type of treatment. And also, Ash needs to get some hms, seriously, boats, trains, and other little things arent working for him. xD (that last part was a joke, dont go buck on me.)

It would be nice if ash caught more pokemon, but like others said, really The show needs atleast somewhat of a switch up. Every season is the exact same thing, exact same team rocket incedents, all those things. Pokemon the anime has grown to savagly bore me due to how predictable it is or how goofy it gets. Idk, the games I geuss feel diffrent because well, even though the goal is the same the adventure leading up to it is always so diffrent. They way they sit down for months on end thinking of new inovations and side quests, along with story such as kill the universe with team galactic, lol, the anime should get the same type of treatment. And also, Ash needs to get some hms, seriously, boats, trains, and other little things arent working for him. xD (that last part was a joke, dont go buck on me.)

Touche. I've grown somewhat tired of the anime but not of the games. I find myself succeeding and struggling with different things in the game. Team Galactic should be well developed because it would actually add some spice to the anime. Hmm...I just got an idea for a new thread. And it would be interesting to see Ash get HMs. Traveling around on Lapras' back in the Orange Islands was cool. It won't happen but it would be a good concept.

If there's something I have to vent about, it has to be how easily the Pokegang ALWAYS falls for Team Rocket's obvious desquises (sp.). Take the Pewter Gym episode.

Team Rocket Dress up in formal suits.
Max: Hey, there's someone at the door!
Brock: It's the Gym Designers!

I mean COME ON. Jessie's hair gives it away completely. After 800+ encounters, you'd think you would reconize what somebody looks like. What's more, how do they not notice Meowth's desquises?

Also, I too feel that Max was a pointless character. He just follows the gang and points out the obvious. I feel like he just dulls the group down completely.

I'm done.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
If there's something I have to vent about, it has to be how easily the Pokegang ALWAYS falls for Team Rocket's obvious desquises (sp.).

I call that "Magical Girl" syndrome. Ie. Sailor Moon-like shows. The characters transform, look EAXCTLY the same as before aside from the outfits, and nobody knows who the bloody hell they are. It happens in just about every Anime series to boot.

I blame Japan :p

I call that "Magical Girl" syndrome. Ie. Sailor Moon-like shows. The characters transform, look EAXCTLY the same as before aside from the outfits, and nobody knows who the bloody hell they are. It happens in just about every Anime series to boot.

I blame Japan :p
Lol, not even just in japan. The whole clark kent takes of his glasses and changes cloths so no one knows him thing is pretty much the same thing. For some reason they like to make animated people very blind.

Well, there's also the fact that the show's been on for 10 years and the children just don't know what the hecks going on (sorta like when my parents are watching their soaps and try to explain everything to me in a nutshell). But there IS a pokemon marathon going on right now that cartoon network is using to get the kids up to speed (actually a pretty smart move).

Plus, around the preview of D&P back in April, my Mom (who teaches a Pre-K class) said that the kids were starting to talk about pokemon again. I'm just hoping that they'll start selling merchendise again and help get pokemon back to popularity (call me nostalgic). Besides, in the end it's the kids who decide the outcome not just the hardcore fans like all of us.

i believe that our generation was the pokemon generation and, its possible, that the generation has finished
and have you seen the anime lately (i mean no offence when i say this) the girls are all weak and the men get all the adventure. May, for example, is weaker than Brock and Ash. and in the anime not much seems to happen any more team rocket is getting annoying and old.
May is weak and her story sends her to contests
Ash is strong and goes for badges
descrimination dont you think?
also pokemon is on pay tv
its possible that the weaker economy is costing the tv industry a lot
so maybe less people can afford pay tv
foxtel is like $40 a month thats a fair amount

i believe that our generation was the pokemon generation and, its possible, that the generation has finished
and have you seen the anime lately (i mean no offence when i say this) the girls are all weak and the men get all the adventure. May, for example, is weaker than Brock and Ash. and in the anime not much seems to happen any more team rocket is getting annoying and old.
May is weak and her story sends her to contests
Ash is strong and goes for badges
descrimination dont you think?
also pokemon is on pay tv
its possible that the weaker economy is costing the tv industry a lot
so maybe less people can afford pay tv
foxtel is like $40 a month thats a fair amount

I coulda sworn,but doesn't she decide to become a trainer at the end of the season?

i dont think they were trying to make women look weak,i think it was just May being little and having her grow up throughout her season

I Like Pokemon, but sometimes..its just stupid..Like they Ash Seem Retarted..

Brock *the eps. when may gets skitty) Its The Armoatherpy Lab!"

Ash-"Aromatherpy??? Is thay a pokemon"

That is jusy plain wrong. And Max, he had good times, but just used him for info.

From What i seen for the new season..Dawn is Clueless...Every other added person knew how to throw, and make a pokeball big, but she didnt!

I would basically agree with all the other comments that it's just plain getting repetative. The first Pokemon episodes I watched were The Battling Eevee Brothers and then the Sabrina episodes. Quite honestly, nothing has compared to the first season for me. Ash actually gets his badges fairly quickly. (I think he finds Erika two episodes after Sabrina.) And quite honestly, in the fist season, I acutally felt like the characters were in real danger once in a while. (Getting turned into a doll is rather creepy, and in the Japanese version of the Pokemon movie, Mewtwo actually makes death threats.) With the suspence gone and the timing of every event in the episode predictable enough to brew tea to, it just feels pointless to watch unless a favorite Pokemon is appearing in the episode.

Just my opinion, anyway.

Same thing happens every single episode. A never-before seen Pokemon comes out of nowhere, TR appears and attempt to take Pikachu AND the other Pokemon. TR is sent flying. End episode.

Digimon is a better anime overall.

I'm different from most people in that I liked season three of Digimon the best. I still have't gotten over season two where every character except maybe two irratated the &!$@ out of me but I digress.

I saw the first episodes of Diamond and Pearl and I think I like Dawn a boatload more that I ever liked May.

I think Max was thrown in there to take Brocks space, and moving Brock up on the personality scale. If you rewatch the old episodes, Brock was only there for information about what was obviously taking place in whatever battle was happening, hit on women, and reading maps.

But when Max was introduced, he essentially does the same thing...Say what was going on, hit on Ash, and read maps.

I think Max really helped Brock develop character-wise. But that's just me.

Kanto saga had a great plot. It was a great season. The Orange League was pretty cool too, I wish a game came out of it. Team Rocket's first motto, the original one, worked for them. Now they have to keep adding lameness to the situation. I LOATHE Wobbufet. HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE! Technically, the boy stole Jessie's Lickitung. Lickitung was awesome and the way Jessie caught it during the princess day episode (it ate the food that Jessie bought for Giovanni) was funny. He was a strong pokemon. What does Wobbufet do? Pops up and says "Wobbufet" and you don't see him again. He used to fight but not anymore. And I was sad whenever Jesse and James released their Wheezing and Arbok to help the other Koffings and Ekans. Ekans was Jessie's birthday present!

And does anyone remember James' Growlithe? Where did the Mime Jr. (Absolutely love Mime Jr. so much!) come from? Why didn't James just catch the female Victrebel? Geez, all of this annoys me so much!

But I do like the Chronicles. Using the other characters like Tracy, Richie, Misty, and Team Rocket's Butch and Cassidy. Probably the better of the newer generations.

Also, just wanted to point out HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE Max.

Yeah, that disquise thing is getting kind of stupid. After about 400 adventures, you'd think that they would be able to figure out its team rocket by now.

And if they add people, why not add NEW VILLAINS? The show needs more than just ! Oo! look a pokemon! *gasp* Team Rocket just stole that pokemon AND Pikachu! Pikachu! Use Thunderbolt!
Hahaha, can't you see that out -insert name of item used to steal pokemon for the week- is shock-proof?
Darn! -throws out some other pokemon- Use -pokemon's move that he uses nearly every episode-! *destorys machine, Pikachu lands on ground* Use Thunder(bolt)! ZAP!!!!!! We're blasting off again!

Can we please get somebody that ACTUALLY has a chance to steal the pokemon? I preferred whenever Team Rocket Showed up, that they actually got away with it for once. Then, they go and find the hideout and sneakily steal back Pikachu.That wwas far more interesting than Pikachu zapping them, and they fly off.

That shock-proof thing gets kind of old, too. why does EVERYTHING they buy be shock-proof, but still penetrable by absolutely EVERYTHING else? Stupid. And yes, the show is dying cuz' it is WAY too repetitive.

While I'm on with the " crazy things" rant.... Why, when pikachu zaps them, does the lightning BLOW UP? The lightning always blows up for some reason. and don't say it's because they're in something that blows up, because there's been times they were next to nothing combustible, and yet it blows up, and they go flying. Lightning does not blow up.

Wow... I made it sound like I hate team rocket. I don't. They really do have the most character of any of them. I just really wish they would take a break once in awhile. They deserve it.

The Kanto region was better, because most of the episodes were like , if you missed the previous episode, you MIGHT have actually missed something. But in the Hoenn, if you missed anything other than a gym/contest episode, you didn't miss anything. Although, in the Hoenn episodes, I really did like the fact that Ash only got one starter. But you WILL notice that every starter is owned by SOMEONE in the party, yet isn't really owned by anyone else.

(hmm... I can't count how many times I got a bit off-topic, but it was also on-topic at the same time.Weird.)

-End Rant/My half of a cent-

And does anyone remember James' Growlithe? Where did the Mime Jr. (Absolutely love Mime Jr. so much!) come from? Why didn't James just catch the female Victrebel? Geez, all of this annoys me so much!

I forget the name of the episode, but the Mime Jr. came from James's Nana and Pop Pop. Chimecho got sick and they gave Mime Jr. to James to essensitally replace Chimecho. It was too sick to keep traveling with James. Don't worry; the Mime Jr. didn't come from nowhere like Victreebel. And that was a dubbing error.

well,I also heard/saw that James' parents die,and they leave him all their fortune,including a Carnivine (and we know what happens,look like grass pokemon are attracted to James

I always wondered,what happened to Ash's father? did he died,or something?

The Pokemon Anime has come a long, long, way since it's airing 10 years ago. Although now it's less like a train continuing on its course and more like a rubber band being pulled to its limits. If there is any merit to the show, its that it makes you want to play the game, only to console yourself for the lack of opponents as weak as Team Rocket and as ridiculously powerful as Ash.

A decade ago, I loved the series a lot. I'd even go to the point of fighting over my family just to watch it. Although what mostly appealed to me at the time was the concept of Pokemon, and not the story, there were some moments in which I liked the show simply for what it was. Episodes like the one in which Ash first meets his Charmander, which captivated me in a manner that would now make me puke. I especially enjoyed the First Movie, and even now, I can't help but be awed that a show so simple, whimsical and carefree could introduce mature concepts, such as Death and the price of war and violence. (which is a first for the series at the time)

Back then, Ash was simply a kid who wants to make his dreams come true, a simple and easily admirable trait, together with his friends and Pokemon, whose trust are gradually built as they spend more time with each other, they learned life lessons over amusing little skits and the occasional "defeating of the bad guys and proving good always triumphs in the end."

But now...well, we can pretty much summarize the series into this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v:pic-eGLctY4

It would be fine if Pokemon were a bit less mind-numbing but sometimes it sinks even lower than educational programs for toddlers with its repetitive lessons. (the whole lessons on friendship thing is 10 years past its expiration date) It fails to introduce new concepts for children, especially concepts that would be very helpful in a rapidly changing society.

Even the Movies lack depth, Simply put:
Ash meets legendary pokemon.
The Legendary Pokemon fights with other pokemon in fantastic but utterly pointless fight scenes
Ash leaves. end of movie.

I really don't see the series as anything else anymore other than a means of advertising the game.

And on the matter of new characters, I think a change is nice once in a while. Characters like Tracey and May were needed to introduce new views into the series, such as that of a POkemon Watcher and a POkemon Coordinator, and their perosnalities brought some sort of life into the series. The only character I don't understand is Max. What role does he play? He is an utterly useless character, whose only function is to annoy us with his incessant nagging. And than there's Dawn. I can't understand what the point of replacing May, and the female characters in general is. Misty was a lot better than any of them, she had a lot more personality and fans loved to go on about the budding romance between the 2 certain trainers. May on the other hand was most likely an attempt to show some maturity in Ash and the need for a newbie in the new series, to help answer the questions new viewers would ask. However, her journey as a Coordinator, and as a character was cut short and it would have been nice to see her further mature in a way Ash did.

I agree on most parts,but what i think Dawn is supposed to be is a paralell of life as a trainer.When you see Dawn in the episodes so far,she has a lot of the same mistakes that ash has,as well as fits in the needed answer to the question "How do all these people figure out how to do all this!?",Even ash seemed to know a lot more than could be expected at the start of the series at times.

Dawn has a lot of experiences that could be seen from Ash,she's late on her first day,she can't catch a pokemon (and then some),her first battle she doesn't know a thing about type advantages (but brock's explanation of that fight both confused me and made me wonder what the point of the shocked closeup was for),and she just literally doesn't know what she's doing.In fact at times you could consider Ash to be a lot like misty was,helping Dawn at with advice (or brock as well helps out)

I'm basing most of this on what i've seen so far,which isn't much ;/.I still think Kanto seasons will never be beaten,because it had a lot more depth and originality than the other seasons put together.But still DP doesn't look like it'll be too bad,the characters don't seem that way yet at least (but the trainer from the latest new episode made my ears bleed,and i seriously wanna know how he got beaten so bad after budew evolved when he was doing so good before that...DODGE IT!)

I forget the name of the episode, but the Mime Jr. came from James's Nana and Pop Pop. Chimecho got sick and they gave Mime Jr. to James to essensitally replace Chimecho. It was too sick to keep traveling with James. Don't worry; the Mime Jr. didn't come from nowhere like Victreebel. And that was a dubbing error.

I misrepresented myself.

I saw the end of the episode, and Mime Jr. caught itself (like how Misty's Psyduck caught itself), but I didn't see exactly where the Mime Jr. came from. And I missed the beginning of the D/P series, where did Carnivine come from?

It's kind of funny how Butch and Cassidy gave James his Victreebel.

James technically had Carnivine all along. He recently found its PokeBall in a box containing his old bottle cap collection at his family's alternate (I think) summer home in Sinnoh.

That brings to question exactly what a PokeBall does. Does it shrink a Pokemon, or store it as energy? Scotty from Star Trek stored himself in a transporter's pattern buffer for years to survive a crashed shuttlecraft. The PokeBall could also store the Pokemon in suspended animation some other way. Or Jame's butler simply fed it everyday before putting it back exactly where he found it. Such attention to detail is highly prized in a man servent.

It's apparently the same as sleeping i guess,while the luxery ball is like sleeping in the best of beds.Regardless based on both game and series it can't be anything negative since the pokemon never seem to have bad reactions to it (except pikachu,but he hasn't been in a pokeball for 3-4 years?)

When my dad catches me watching Pokemon, he starts yelling at the Pokemon and telling them to run away when they're let out. "Go Pikachu! Run away! You're free! You're free! Run!"

As for Pikachu not being in his ball, well, the games are copyright 1995, so I guess it's more like twelve years. Maybe a little less, since that Mewtwo movie, when Ash tried to recall him to keep him from being captured by Mewtwo.

When my dad catches me watching Pokemon, he starts yelling at the Pokemon and telling them to run away when they're let out. "Go Pikachu! Run away! You're free! You're free! Run!"

As for Pikachu not being in his ball, well, the games are copyright 1995, so I guess it's more like twelve years. Maybe a little less, since that Mewtwo movie, when Ash tried to recall him to keep him from being captured by Mewtwo.

incidentally, the movies don't keep time with the anime. at least, not the dub versions. also, you're not taking into account that ash's journey started 3 years ago. in his world, anyways.

I don't think Ash ages, although everyone else around him pretty much does. THat's also another point,, POkemon started out as an alternate reality, but the latest series seems to be growing farther from that, with cartoon cliches such as quick recovery form injuries, eternal youth amon others...If this keeps up, I have half a mind to stick to the japanese versions....

:/ I think it's just that, as has been mentioned so many times, the anime has just been watered down so, SO much in the dubbing process. If only it was easier to get subtitled Japanese episodes... And even so it's just getting repetitive.

Although... I liked May. Despite the fact that Misty is indeed one of the best characters on the show, May was kind of refreshing IMO. Misty was cool because she abused Psyduck; May was cool because she wasn't uber when she first started out. Plus the Contest episodes were cool.

But there were moments... Like I said I liked the contest episodes a lot. Hoenn also showed more of Ash's Pokémon evolving and (gasp!) staying on his team. The Orange Islands series and Battle Frontier series, as a whole, were pretty cool too (Hoenn made up for Johto IMO).

Though I don't like how the old characters just kinda disappear. I mean we BARELY see Misty, Tracey (who I also liked), Richie, etc., outside of CHronicles episodes. And it would depress me to no end if May, Drew, Harley, and Soledad never got another episode... I mean, showing an contest episode of them in Johto would be insanely cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
everyone but brock and ash has just flat-out left the show....that's what i think. it's just not the same...team rocket needed a new motto, and i can live with their voices. some of the episodes from bf are ok, some of them are just bad... i don't know...at this rate it's seems like they're getting rid of ash all together and putting in some other random character instead...it's really sad....oh, and another answer: peer pressure! if someone in your school finds out you watch pokemon, you're screwed. if you're in any particular clique, and you watch pokemon, you're screwed. if you read pokemon manga, you're screwed. you do pokemon anything (but the video game, some people are ok with the video games) you're screwed, and your reputation is shot. flat-out.

yeah, the series has ran a little too long and people are starting to get bored with it.... i'd like to see ash reunite with some pokemon he 'abandoned' so to speak... or at least remember them (like butterfree, primape, lapras, charizard, and squirtle) and i would like to see ash actually think about people from his past experiences once in a while (i only saw him think about misty once T_T*)

the peer pressure thing too. Whenever i see something that reminds me of pokemon, unless i say something along the lines of 'that reminds me of when one of my friends showed me a pokemon episode...' or 'it's just like that stupid pokemon crap...' people think of you as a kid or a loser... my boyfriend wasn't aware of this and said outright that he liked pokemon, and everyone started calling him a dork and a loser... the anime is so watered down that people nowadays think it's lame kiddy stuff...

i never had any problems with any characters (i personally liked max, he took over misty's ear tugging when brock flirted XD) except for the fact that james and meowth weren't truely evil, they just went with whatever jesse came up with... a few times, i though they'd quit team rocket right out after a sob scene about whatever... and jesse would yank them back...

I have to admit though the series still is nothing like it was in the beginning(it's still watered down/a shadow of its fomer self), it's already better than Hoenn or Battle Frontier in my opinion. Maybe it just seems that way because I like Dawn better. She doesn't replace Misty but that's all right. Maybe it's because Max isn't around to annoy me. Who knows.

Perhaps the ear-rending new dub voices have something to do with it. I personally can barely watch even a few minutes of an episode these days without my ears literally hurting. And yes, I know they had the voices in Battle Frontier too, but Dawn's voice doesn't really make up for anything.

I liked Battle Frontier and Hoenn quite a bit though, but mainly for the contest episodes. Oh, and because I'm such a fangirl of Drew (and Harley). XD

And about Max taking over Misty's tugging-Brock-by-the-ear duties, that was one of the main reasons I liked Max; it was rather humorous because Max was less than half Brock's height. ^_^ Croagunk does that now, apparently, and for some reason it's just not as funny...

Perhaps the ear-rending new dub voices have something to do with it. I personally can barely watch even a few minutes of an episode these days without my ears literally hurting. And yes, I know they had the voices in Battle Frontier too, but Dawn's voice doesn't really make up for anything.

I liked Battle Frontier and Hoenn quite a bit though, but mainly for the contest episodes. Oh, and because I'm such a fangirl of Drew (and Harley). XD

And about Max taking over Misty's tugging-Brock-by-the-ear duties, that was one of the main reasons I liked Max; it was rather humorous because Max was less than half Brock's height. ^_^ Croagunk does that now, apparently, and for some reason it's just not as funny...

huh.... doesn't really sound as bad to me, but then again, i'm somewhat easy to please ^^

hehe, i was rooting for may and drew too, even though he was a jerk sometimes >.>... though i wasn't really that enthusiastic with harley (mobbed by harley fangirls "DON'T HIT ME >_