• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Why Gen 4 remakes are going to be in Gen 7

Recently I have came up with many reasons and found many reasons why Gen remakes are going to happen and in Gen 7.

1. Remakes make money: All of the remakes has sold really well, with some selling better than the originals.
  2. Gen 4 sold a lot of copies: After Gen 1 pokemon sales declined, but began to rise again at Gen 4, indicating it was popular.
  3. Fans want a Gen 4 Remake: I have seen lots of fan outcry for Gen 4 remakes, almost like the outcry for Gen 3.
  4. 2 areas on map of Alola make Gen 4 reference: On the map they're two areas based on real places in Hawaii. Pearl Harbor and Diamond Peak. Both referencing the first 2 Gen 4 games.
  5. Gen 4's tenth anniversary is next year: The first Gen 4 games came out in 2007, meaning 2017, where no pokemon game is planned would be Gen 4 remakes. Other remakes follow a similar trend as well.
  6. Pokemon is remaking all older regions for 3d: Pokemon is really pushing 3d graphics , so it would make since to remake all their non 3d regions.
Thanks for reading and tell me what you think.

Last edited:
There's a couple of flaws in some of your reasoning that I'd like to bring up, provided my research into the subject is correct.

1. Remakes don't make more money than the originals. The Video Game Sales wiki lists the sales figures for each game (per million units) as follows: RGB (31.38 ), vs FRLG (12.00), GSC (23.10) vs HGSS (12.72), and RS (16.22) VS ORAS (11.84). So as you can see from the data, they don't sell as well (not to say that any of these are unimpressive sales figures, they're just less by comparison). Hell, even with how much we wanted ORAS, it still hasn't beaten the sales figures for XY (14.70). Looking at this, it just doesn't seem as profitable to make remakes for old games - the best selling are the first revealed at the start of each generation.

5. Only one set of previous remakes were released on their 10th anniversary - HGSS. FRLG was 8 or 6 years later, depending on which country you're looking at the release date from, and ORAS was 12 or 11 years, again, depending on the country. Calling something a trend when its only occurred once seems a little... well... that's not a trend. So as much as it would be nice, I'd say there is no guarantee of ten years equaling a remake.

6. Pokemon isn't remaking all the older regions for the 3DS - they've only remade one, ORAS. If they were, I would have expected a second remake of RBY to come out, given that its the 20th anniversary of the franchise as a whole. I'd be more tempted to say that a lot of the focus upon remakes was to ensure that all of the games were playable on the most recent console, which all of the Pokemon games currently are. This makes me a bit skeptical of how soon we'd get a remake for DPP, if at all.

I'm not saying here that I wouldn't like to see a remake of these games in general - if they were given the same amount of care and characterization that ORAS got, it would probably make me like that Gen a bit more, maybe even enough for it to not be my least favourite games in the series. More I'm just skeptical of how soon we'll get them - there just doesn't seem like much of a point to me right now, mainly because you can play in every single mainstream region in existence on the 3DS currently (yes, even Kanto), which is what I saw as being a large part of the point for remaking them.

Last edited:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Also reminding you that until now every generation/region had a third game that actually fixed a lot of the things that were broken about it.... and then Gen 5 decided to go the true-sequel route and X/Y didn't even get anything. Can't really rely on 'trends' anymore.

Also, I've seen plenty of fan outcry to bury Gen 4 and never speak of it again too, and there's been plenty of fan outcry for gen 3 remakes for ages before they've finally gone and made them. Wouldn't be surprised if a remake did pop up, but I wouldn't count on it being soon.

Also, Quite frankly, if they handle the story of a hypothetical Gen 4 remake the way they handled OR/AS' story, I'd rather that one stayed hypothetical. D/P and R/S have much in common: they both had an incredibly half-baked story that was given a definitive fix in their third game. OR/AS completely ignored that and opted to bring back all the nonsensical points of R/S instead to keep the story ridiculously split in two so they can sell two versions. Having the same happen to a D/P remake would entirely absorb. And I don't want to know what their new bullshit artist for humans will do to Gardenia. Bastards. ><

Also reminding you that until now every generation/region had a third game that actually fixed a lot of the things that were broken about it.... and then Gen 5 decided to go the true-sequel route and X/Y didn't even get anything. Can't really rely on 'trends' anymore.

Also, I've seen plenty of fan outcry to bury Gen 4 and never speak of it again too, and there's been plenty of fan outcry for gen 3 remakes for ages before they've finally gone and made them. Wouldn't be surprised if a remake did pop up, but I wouldn't count on it being soon.

Also, Quite frankly, if they handle the story of a hypothetical Gen 4 remake the way they handled OR/AS' story, I'd rather that one stayed hypothetical. D/P and R/S have much in common: they both had an incredibly half-baked story that was given a definitive fix in their third game. OR/AS completely ignored that and opted to bring back all the nonsensical points of R/S instead to keep the story ridiculously split in two so they can sell two versions. Having the same happen to a D/P remake would entirely absorb. And I don't want to know what their new bullshit artist for humans will do to Gardenia. Bastards. ><

Except remakes trend is still being followed, and yea I agree with you about ORAS, but since their getting rid of old trends, maybe they will just remake platinum, since it sold more.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I sincerely doubt it. Unlike HG/SS, where the Crystal-induced changes were minimal and so they could include them easily... Platinum, like Emerald, was a fairly significant change from the source material that actually made the story coherent and involve both legends. They're not going to do that because their business interest is to sell two versions. So it's far more likely they'd pull off some terrible OR/AS-like adaptation of D/P with some third bonus chapter like the Delta Episode surrounding Giratina.

Either way, it's all quite hypothetical at this point. *shrugs*

I sincerely doubt it. Unlike HG/SS, where the Crystal-induced changes were minimal and so they could include them easily... Platinum, like Emerald, was a fairly significant change from the source material that actually made the story coherent and involve both legends. They're not going to do that because their business interest is to sell two versions. So it's far more likely they'd pull off some terrible OR/AS-like adaptation of D/P with some third bonus chapter like the Delta Episode surrounding Giratina.

Either way, it's all quite hypothetical at this point. *shrugs*

I do have a idea actually on how they could make it work though, through the use of both legends. Depending on your version you would catch that pokemon to settle the other down, with the same setup to platinum, but with this change. Cyrus escapes and after beating the pokemon league they do a delta episode esque type deal with Cyrus trying to use the other legend, but accidently releases Giratina into Sinnoh. To stop Giratina, you summon Arceus to stop and capture him.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
... Yeah, they're not likely to make Arceus available in-game. Though who the hell knows. After the Deoxys nonsense, anything is possible...

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
See, Deoxys is one of my favorite legendaries, but even I thought that was a bit of a Giant Space Flea From Nowhere, almost literally.

But this is getting a bit too conversational and off-topic. Time to let other people weigh in on the subject matter, I'd say.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
You don't need reasons why a Gen IV remake is plausible. The key question for Game Freak and Nintendo is "would a Gen IV remake sell?" The obvious answer is yes, as despite Gen IV being a pile of ass it was still very popular, and since it's likely we'll eventually see remakes of every generation as time goes on a Gen IV remake seems more inevitable than possible.

How good it ends up being is another matter. They have a fair bit of work to do to improve the original Gen IV into anything that resembles a fun experience.

Rex

Resident Furry
I remember back in the day people used to claim that a Gen III remake would never happen. The logic was that it wasn't needed, since starting with Gen III all the games had been interconnected, you could transfer Pokemon from RSE all the way to BWB2W2. You couldn't do that with the first two generations. However, we got one anyway. KoL is right on the money, I'd say. Nintendo's interest is the bottom line. Would Gen IV remakes sell? The enduring market for them, even if they don't outsell their original counterparts, says they would. So we will see Gen IV remakes.

Also, I would caution using Gen V as a reference point for the series. As amazing as it is, Gen V was really just to fill the gap between Gen IV and Gen VI, as Gen VI was being developed for the 3DS at around the same time as Gen V was in the works. It was a filler gen, that's why it's so different.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
DPP is still playable on the 3DS so while I'm sure a Gen IV remake is inevitable, it probably won't become a reality until a handheld system comes along that can't play DS cartridges. While you could argue that RBY was playable on GBA, FRLG were necessary for completing the Gen III Pokedex. What I'm saying is we will see Gen IV remakes because there is a demand for them, but not anytime soon.

Truthfully, I haven't seen much outcry for it? Hoenn definitely had a lot of outcry for a remake, to the point where it became a meme, but with Sinnoh... I haven't seen quite the enthusiasm. Although I doubt they wouldn't do it, I don't think they'll do it until fans can't shut up about it--which is something I don't see happening soon, as D/P were games that, like said before, we all want to forget. A brush up on graphics and animation probably won't salvage much of the forgettable story. :(

It's very unlikely for Sinnoh remakes to be THIS next gen. Probably in the one after, after Nintendo makes a new handheld console. But I definitely think it's going to happen, but they're going to keep us waiting for it.

I'm really scared of what the character redesigns might end up like tho. I'm really not digging a lot of the redesigns in ORAS and the ones in DPPt were honestly fine, but that's another topic entirely.

I've bet for a long time that we'll see a gen 1 remake before we see a gen 4 remake, but them not doing it for 20th anniversary seems a bit misplaced now, part of me says we won't get any more remakes for the 3DS. My theory being, FRLG only remakes for GBA, HGSS only remakes for DS, ORAS only remakes for 3DS (so far), so whatever replaces the 3DS will have the next remake.

Those games desperately need a remake. The original games were way too slow especially when you get to the snowy part of the game (hate those snow routes so much). It's a shame because there was a lot of cool ideas in these games. Entering the distortion world for example was really cool. I don't know when the remakes come out, but hopefully they'll fix most problems the original has.

There's a couple of flaws in some of your reasoning that I'd like to bring up, provided my research into the subject is correct.

1. Remakes don't make more money than the originals. The Video Game Sales wiki lists the sales figures for each game (per million units) as follows: RGB (31.38 ), vs FRLG (12.00), GSC (23.10) vs HGSS (12.72), and RS (16.22) VS ORAS (11.84). So as you can see from the data, they don't sell as well (not to say that any of these are unimpressive sales figures, they're just less by comparison). Hell, even with how much we wanted ORAS, it still hasn't beaten the sales figures for XY (14.70). Looking at this, it just doesn't seem as profitable to make remakes for old games - the best selling are the first revealed at the start of each generation.

5. Only one set of previous remakes were released on their 10th anniversary - HGSS. FRLG was 8 or 6 years later, depending on which country you're looking at the release date from, and ORAS was 12 or 11 years, again, depending on the country. Calling something a trend when its only occurred once seems a little... well... that's not a trend. So as much as it would be nice, I'd say there is no guarantee of ten years equaling a remake.

6. Pokemon isn't remaking all the older regions for the 3DS - they've only remade one, ORAS. If they were, I would have expected a second remake of RBY to come out, given that its the 20th anniversary of the franchise as a whole. I'd be more tempted to say that a lot of the focus upon remakes was to ensure that all of the games were playable on the most recent console, which all of the Pokemon games currently are. This makes me a bit skeptical of how soon we'd get a remake for DPP, if at all.

I'm not saying here that I wouldn't like to see a remake of these games in general - if they were given the same amount of care and characterization that ORAS got, it would probably make me like that Gen a bit more, maybe even enough for it to not be my least favourite games in the series. More I'm just skeptical of how soon we'll get them - there just doesn't seem like much of a point to me right now, mainly because you can play in every single mainstream region in existence on the 3DS currently (yes, even Kanto), which is what I saw as being a large part of the point for remaking them.
Since they made it where you can buy RBY in the Nintendo eshop there is really no point in making a remake of it! I really hope they do make remakes of DPP tho

I don't think we'll get a Diamond and Pearl remake because Gamefreak wants to surprise us with new games. For example everyone thought we were going to get Pokemon Grey but we got Pokemon Black and White II. Everyone is expecting a diamond and pearl remake, so that's why I don't think we'll get a remake in 2018.

I doubt we're going to see any sign of this on the horizon for at least another two years. Shigeru Omori from Game Freak said that Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon would be the last of the core series on the 3DS, simply because they have peaked with the given hardware. And we were promised that they'd work on something for the Switch at E3, so that is almost certainly the next addition to the franchise. Given the usual development cycle for Pokémon games, we'd likely get this currently unannounced game revealed in mid-2018 for a release at the end of the year. Granted, it's possible that the first game they do for the Switch may as well end up being D/P remakes, but why break new ground in hardware chalking up a remake? It's not only wasting potential, but it may also detriment the release of further games on the Switch, because people may decide to stick with the nostalgia, not everyone who bought X/Y bought ORAS and vice versa. Unless they were confident putting all their bets on the relative low that D/P was, it would make more sense to showcase new heights for the games with a new setting before re-treading old territory.

After that comes and goes though, it's very possible, and the timing would be just about right. Adding on another development cycle, and if D/P remakes came out as the second Switch games, then we're looking at late 2019 to early 2020.

gen 4 remakes in gen 8 on the switch do make sense. I was very critical back in gen 4 towards the poketch, and even more so at gen 7 for rotomdex, for how they handled the touch screen, and whilst i liked the step counter and having a quick view for my party (and thus a forever obsession with pickup began) DP could easily be without it (or i'll take an actual poketch like the pokewalker) and I stand by the fact Sun and Moon feel like they were made with single screen play as standard.
We know all future main series games will be on switch, and that when the full switch online service rolls out and we finally get a real virtual console on there, nintendo are likely to want something pokemon available (i'll accept stadium, but it's more likely snap) but i can't see a ds remake appearing on switch straight off the bat =(