• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Who's getting Gates To Infinity?

Is anyone from North America going to get the newest Mystery Dungeon game over the weekend? How about people from Europe and Australia, are you planning on buying it when it comes out in a couple months there?
I only played Red and Blue Rescue Teams, not the ones after it. Were Friend Zones kept around? How about the story, in terms of motivation? The Rescue Team games were all about, well, being a team that rescues Pokemon. Now Gates to Infinity seems from the demo to be more about adventuring.
Gates to Infinity looks fantastic on the 3DS, even in the demo. I plan on getting it via the 3DS Store as a download, one less cartridge.

I'm thinking about getting it when it comes out in Europe but there are other things that are more important so I may hold off for a little. Time and Darkness were incredible in terms of story and some people found it a really emotional story and was better written than Red and Blue. Also Friend Zones weren't kept around. I'd advise actually getting a cartridge for price reasons because Nintendo is extortionate when it comes to download prices.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
I'll likely pick it up at some point. If it had been released this weekend in Europe I'd have passed purely because we have Luigi's Mansion 2, and next month we have Fire Emblem, but being released in May doesn't clash with anything else I wanted so I'll likely pick it up fairly soon after its release.

I enjoyed the first games in the series, and to a point I enjoyed Explores of Time/Darkness, but having a 'third game' in the form of Explores of Sky kind of killed any feelings I had for the series. It's not a bad series of games though, and I'm interested to see what the plot will be this time around.

So, yeah. In short I'll likely pick it up a little while after release. xD

Coreysawrus said:
I'm thinking about getting it when it comes out in Europe but there are other things that are more important so I may hold off for a little. Time and Darkness were incredible in terms of story and some people found it a really emotional story and was better written than Red and Blue. Also Friend Zones weren't kept around. I'd advise actually getting a cartridge for price reasons because Nintendo is extortionate when it comes to download prices.
How, then, are Pokemon delegated to "join the team"?
For all the full-downloadable games I've seen in the 3DS Store, they're priced the same as a cartridge copy. Taxes, sure, but I prefer just having the game on my system and not forgetting it.

Well in Time and Darkness after you defeat a Pokemon and it wants to join you and you accept it gets sent to a roster, then you just pick and choose the members of the team from the roster

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm sure I'll get it at some point, I did enjoy Time and Darkness a great deal after all :) The 17th of May release date is enough time away to think my decision through either way xD

In terms of what Demelza said, Time and Darkness did suffer from only keeping my attention through one play through... it soon lost its appeal and I never bothered to get Sky. Hopefully though Gates of Infinity will have some nice novelty value and be enjoyable to play :)

Plus, I think the 3D will look really great with a game like this, based on the bits I've seen of the gameplay.

Something I just read in this article http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/33612 bothered me: there will only be around 150 Pokemon in Gates To Infinity. Coming from Red and Blue Rescue Team, that's nearly unacceptable. The Rescue Team games had every single Pokemon from the current generations. While I completely understand the difficulty and sheer about of space every single Pokemon would take up as a new 3D model, I bet I'm going to find it incredibly disappointing at the lack of diversity.
It does seem to include a good number of legendaries, but unlike Rescue Teams, you can't recruit bosses! (source: http://www.serebii.net/dungeoninfinity/legendaries.shtml) Again, very disappointing. I was looking forward to playing as Zekrom. This might be a job for an Action Replay sometime down the road... Full list of Pokemon included here: http://www.serebii.net/dungeoninfinity/pokemon.shtml
I certainly hope the game has enough redeeming qualities to let me look past these lacking ones.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
While I played through the demo and ended up buying the game upon release, I haven't played a considerable amount more since. I've enjoyed previous PMD games (particularly Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of Time, the two I most heavily played) for their plots, music, and simply being able to experience Pokemon in a different way, but I've never been a huge fan of the repetitive gameplay. I'll enjoy the games up until completing the main story but rarely do more beyond that point. I'm not expecting Gates of Infinity to be much different in that regard but that's alright. I'd rather play the game than not play it. :)

I ended up choosing Snivy as my playable character and Oshawott as my partner, but the lack of a personality quiz at the beginning of this game made me sad. :( I'll need to play more of the retail version before commenting further.

Ehhhh...the lack of a personality quiz kind of takes a lot of the fun out of it for me. I mean, that was part of the fun and the challenge, taking the quiz to see what you got and keep going until you were satisfied :> However I'll probably get it sometime down the road, and when they make a lot of Action Replay codes, I'll mess around with it.

All I've heard about it is that its a terrible step back from its predecessors, and that you have to pay extra for some DLC. I'll get it if I don't have to pay in some form, but I think its a no brainer.

I don't really remember the Rescue Team plots, so I can't compare them, but Gates' plot is still centered around friendship, teamwork, not giving up, etc., as well as the end of the world. The gameplay by definition must be repetitive, but there aren't any dungeons in the story that exceed 25 floors.
The quiz was just a small hindrance to getting the Pokémon you wanted, choosing is easier.
Paid DLC can be ignored, it isn't required. It's just extras for people who would choose to pay for it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
chickenmatt5 said:
The quiz was just a small hindrance to getting the Pokémon you wanted, choosing is easier.

Depends how you viewed the quiz. As someone who likes personality quizzes in general I found the idea of being matched with a Pokemon that best suited your personality really fun. I didn't constantly reset the game in order to receive my ideal choice or use answer guides, I typically took the first choice that was given to me. ^^

I told myself I would snatch this up as soon as possible when I first heard about it. Now I'm not so eager. Don't get me wrong, I still want it, I'm just not as hyped anymore. Maybe it's the fact that there are far less options for protagonists and partners, going from at least twenty to the lowly five in this game. It just feels like this game won't make me cry or shiver like the Rescue and Explorer generations, which was the selling point for me.

I still plan on getting Gates of Infinity, just probably not until June or July at the latest. I got the new Fire Emblem a few days ago, and given how Sacred Stones easily had me occupied for a month, I think I'll be fairly busy with Awakening anyhow.

Whilst I enjoyed the first two games in the series (by that I mean the first two AND the second two, as I only got one game per set), I am indifferent towards this. The plot kept me going against relatively fun but often frustrating gameplay, but if the plot is the same again? I can only take so much friendship! I don't want to play a game with frustrating gameplay, a rehashed story and a minute amount of Pokemon compared to the last two. Sorry,but I'm skipping this one.