• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Who watched Kids WB Premiere? Or, who lives in the US? :-P

Well, how was the premiere of the infamous Kids WB preview of Destiny Deoxys for you?

I, for one thing, want to go over there and tape someone's mouth shut for mispronouncing all the Pokémon's names...not that that it's necessarily wrong but I think it sounds ridiculous! ray-KWAY-zuh! Har har.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Most of the Pokecharms Members don't actually live in the States - so you're unlikely to find too many who watched it.

I don't really want to watch it now, after reading up on the POINTLESS edits they did to the Japanese version... It just ruins the artistic point of it.

Stupid dubbers.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The mispronunciation that gets to me is "Rai-KU". In the Japanese version they call it "Rai-kO", and it's the same bloody spelling, so why the heck did the dubbers change it?!

I still want to see the dubbed version of the 7th movie (just for the sake of it), but at this point I'm extremely glad to have a subbed version as well. To think, they did such a great job with the 6th movie... Why screw everything up now?

I live in the US too, but we don't have WB down here. =( So unfortunatley I didn't get to see it.

However, I heard it was horribly dubbed like many of your mentioned above.

I saw it actually. Well bits and pieces anyhow. I really didn't like it. Looked to be the worse translation since maybe the 1st movie.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
[quote name='"StellarWind"]It should be technically pronounced 'Reh-ku-zah'' date=' but, I'd assume that in english it would be 'Ray-Kwah-Zah'. Or something like that. ^^;[/quote']

That's exactly how I pronounced it until seeing the Japanese movie (rhymed with Skyplaza ^^), now I'm not so sure. The English name is obviously trying to mimic the Japanese one, just with different letters... Bah. You think you know the English language until the dubbers pull a stupid pronunciation on you :p

Not a lot of positive feedback on this movie, considering it broke several records for the highest ratings in the history of KidsWB.

And, actually, considering the origin of Rayquaza's name, it makes sense that it would be pronounced "ray-qway-zah."

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
QuagsireQing said:
And, actually, considering the origin of Rayquaza's name, it makes sense that it would be pronounced "ray-qway-zah."

What do you mean by origin? If you mean the original name, that's not how it was pronouced.

People are extra hard on the movies, though... They act like they're so much worse than the TV series when all the series is is the same freakin' stuff all over again! How anyone could watch the series but not give a damn about the movies is beyond me... :?

Trainer_Yoshimitsu said:
...I thought Suicune was pronounced 'Sui-sine'

How do you get "sine" from "-cune?" Not many words have their 'u's pronounced like 'i's.

What I mean by origin of the name is the words that compose the name: Ryuuza (Japanese dragon constellation) and Quasar ("An extremely distant, and thus old, celestial object whose power output is several thousand times that of our entire galaxy").

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
QuagsireQing said:
What I mean by origin of the name is the words that compose the name: Ryuuza (Japanese dragon constellation) and Quasar ("An extremely distant, and thus old, celestial object whose power output is several thousand times that of our entire galaxy").

You know, when you put it that way it makes sense... Quasar is pronounced "QWAY"... I didn't realize the dubbers had put that much thought into the name when translating it o.o

The issue with Raikou still stands, though. Why keep the exact Japanese name if they aren't going to say it right? :p

*Doesn't really have much else to say. Still wants the 7th movie ^^*

*goes to HMV to pick up 2nd and 4th movies, only ones left to fill collection*

I still believe the official pronunciation of Raikou is "rye-koh," and nothing 4Kids says will convince me otherwise. "rye-koo" just doesn't make sense. I'd rather they say "rye-cow." -_-

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I haven't watched enough of the anime to make a complete list of mispronunciations that get on my nerves, but in what I've seen so far, the REALLY big annoyance is Gyarados being pronounced as "Gary-dose". It's just so wrong! It's like pronouncing nuclear as "nucular" or foliage as "foilage"!

Mind you, I am the pedant who would pronounce Pokemon as "Pock-eh-mon" because it's short for "Pocket Monsters" - but I've been mocked enough in my life without setting myself up for ridicule :p. So I pronounce it "Poke-eh-mon" when I'm talking about it to other people. The anime's "Poke-EE-mon" is stupid - an acute accent in French is pronounced "Eh" or "Ay" (e.g. cafe', entree'), not "ee".

*mumble* :roll: