• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Who was the hardest gym leader for you to beat?

I have a few:

Kanto: Misty in Red. I always started with Charmelion or Wartortle, and didn't have a Grass or Electric type, so I got beaten on numerous occasions. Easiest on this list, though.

Johto: Clair in SS. Grr! I hate Clair! In Silver, she was easy as hell, but in SS, I'm not sure why, but she was just ZETTA DIFFICULT!

Hoenn: Watson. His Magneton is a BEAST! All his others are really easy, but that Magneton, and it's stupid, never-missing Shock Wave!

Sinnoh: Fantina in Platinum. I just couldn't beat her. It took me around 10 goes to beat her. It was the Mismagious, and Psybeam

(Watson is the one I would say is the hardest for me!)

Johto- That Clair. I was all like, the last gym was a pushover, I'm gonna pwn a bitch. Well. I was wrong. That mofo seahorse...

Hoenn- Liza and Tate. I was a kid then, so it didn't seem like a moral debate to use a Wobbuffet to murdalize them. Heck, I was hardly familiar with how Counter and Mirror Coat were different, I was a young'n.

Sinnoh- Candice. Her Abomosnow was not anice person. And we all know it.

Isn't it funny how I completely destroyed Pryce with no effort, and Candice is the one to give me trouble?

A

Anonymous

LoN said:
Except for my current Soul Silver run, its always been Whitney. In my old Silver, Crystal and Soul Silver games, her Miltank has always given me grief. I never really saw why or how, it just did.

Roxanne tore me apart during my Emerald Nuzlocke Challenge too :(

yah, attract made me wish i had more female pokemon :-[

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck because my two best Pokemon Typhlosion and Meganium wouldnt listen to me due to the fact they were Traded
Clair same problem except Feraligatr had Ice Bite So it wasnt hard.

Hmm. I think the hardest gym for me was Sabrina in RBY. My Pokemon were always under leveled (me being probably eight) and my team was constantly changing.

Tate & Liza , Psychic experts , on Emerald Version .
It took me exactly 9 times to beat them .
My Pkemn Team :

1. Blaziken
2. Swellow
3. Lairon
4. Azumarill
5. Breloom

I can't remember what their levels were .

• Kanto - Sabrina or Giovanni maybe
  • Johto - Chuck (cause I don't like Flying-types)
  • Hoenn - Tate & Liza
  • Sinnoh - Gardenia probably, they were all pretty simple

I'm going to list the game and the gym leader in each that I had the worst time...

R/B/Y: Misty and Sabrina
G/S/C: Whitney and Claire
R/S/E: Father and Water gym (I forgot his name)
D/P/Pt: Fighting gym... forget her name...

Reason why Misty is because I always tried to raise the later ones I caught after Mt. Moon, so I was always having trouble beating Misty. Bubblebeam was just rediculous... she's slightly easier in Fire Red and Leaf Green only because they had her stop using the X Specials and healing. Only issue with her in the remakes would have to be the confusion status I would always get.

I would have more issues with the ghost gym leader in Sinnoh but the Graveler I caught hit her guys with roll out each time and he gained 3 levels from the battle alone, I couldn't believe my eyes, the Graveler I caught right before challenging her managed to survive, he was confused and paralyzed, he still hit with every shot and managed to get me the badge with his help alone, you can bet I kept him in my party for the rest of the game and evolved him as soon as I could.

Never really had any problems with any of them. Except for one.

Brawly.

That guy makes me cry just by looking at me. His Machop and Makuhita are tiny Bulk Up-spamming demons. In my Nuzlocke run of Sapphire my Grovyle couldn't even get to Makuhita. That run failed spectacularly.

In my current run of Sapphire I'm trying to train a Ground-type team, but I had to capture a Taillow just to be sure I can defeat that stupid emo... Hiding in a dark maze... *muttering angrily*

A

Anonymous

Whitney and that darn Miltank. And especially Tate and Liza. I managed to beat them first time but the battle took a good 10-15 mins and a tonne of Potions and healing moves. Solrock was going down just fine, but Lunatone just wouldn't die, darn it! >< No other gym battle I've had has taken that long.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
For each generation: Sabrina, Whitney, Norman and Candice.
Sabrina because there's just really nothing to stop psychics in Gen I and I always went up against her with a team of 6, each trained to about the same level... which means lower leveled than any of a gym leader's pokemon.
Whitney for reasons already specified in the thread - largely due to rollout and attract.
Norman was the only one who gave me trouble in gen III and it was purely because I didn't understand the mechanics of Focus Punch.
Candice because my teams always seem to have a glaring ice weakness [can't say why Pryce never gave me much trouble]

Definitely Winona in Pokemon Ruby. I started with Sceptile in my first ever game of Pokemon, and didn't train anything else, and probably taught it all the wrong moves and stuff. Skarmory. Was. A. NIGHTMARE.

Hands down Whitney for Pokemon Silver. My hardest battle for my 4th Gen games might've been Claire....Leveling up in the HG SS games was really hard I had to trade to get Boosted EXP.

I really had a hard time with Juan in my replay of Emerald.

My team is:

1. Blaziken
2. Aggron
3. Vileplume
4. Altaria
5. Absol
6. Gyarados

Whitney and Blue. My Crocanaw was never any match for Miltank,so I cheated to win. Blue's Exeggutor was just to beast for my Pokemon! lol It kept obliveratng my Espeon and Fraligatr like there was no tomorrow!

Can't believe I forgot Wattson back in Sapphire. He wasn't that hard if you started with Mudkip (who was a Marshtomp before you reached him) or Torchic, but if you started with Treecko, it was a whole different ballgame. It was made even worse if you didn't catch a fighting type somewhere. Magneton was an absolute NIGHTMARE during my first run in Sapphire. My highest level Pokemon, Grovyle, was barely denting it. I'm pretty sure it took two or three tries to get a strategy together to take it down.

Not sure if I've posted here yet, but I've always had problems with Tate and Liza. I'm not that big of a double battler, so I didn't like it. On top of that, they have 4 (emerald) psychic type pokemon that know moves for dealing with more than one type. it was challenging, but irritating because I was losing team members faster than I could heal them.

Lucky that I usually train all of my Pokemon equally, otherwise Lairon (who evolved into Aggron right after :3) and Sableye couldn't of defeated them after losing Swellow, Manectric, and my fricken Swampert >:I Breloom didn't even have a chance D8.

well when i first started playing pokemon games my first game was pokemon saffire and before i even played it my mom took it away from me and started playing it herself she got as far as the second gym leader brawly and i started a new game and choose torchic because its 3rd evolution looked awsome and i got to brawly and lost 6 matches in a row DAMN he's hard with out catching a sableye. but i did manage to beat him with out one .
but that was just by luck i din't know why but my atacks where almost always critical hits i geuss some one finaly wanted me to win and continue on with my adventure NOT. that was when i ran into flanery her torcal was to much so i just started all over and choose mudkip and all my problimes were solved. luckly there were no grass type gym leaders in this game. well i did write alot maybe even more then i need to but i just wanted you guys how i felt when i first started pokemon games.

100% pure said:
well when i first started playing pokemon games my first game was pokemon saffire and before i even played it my mom took it away from me and started playing it herself she got as far as the second gym leader brawly and i started a new game and choose torchic because its 3rd evolution looked awsome and i got to brawly and lost 6 matches in a row DAMN he's hard with out catching a sableye. but i did manage to beat him with out one .
but that was just by luck i din't know why but my atacks where almost always critical hits i geuss some one finaly wanted me to win and continue on with my adventure NOT. that was when i ran into flanery her torcal was to much so i just started all over and choose mudkip and all my problimes were solved. luckly there were no grass type gym leaders in this game. well i did write alot maybe even more then i need to but i just wanted you guys how i felt when i first started pokemon games.

Actually, if your Combusken/Torchic knows Peck it isn't that hard :)

Tate and Liza from Emerald they are so annoying because back then I was not that good at pokemon but there pokemon are the reason I never beat Emerald. In Sapphire they were really easy compared to how strong in Emerald.

Will most probably be Sabrina in my current Yellow run, Still have to power level all my pokemon to around 48. (most of them are around 35-38)

Maylene is the only Gym Leader that has taken me more than one try to defeat. When I first played through Pearl, it took me about five tries before I finally bested her, and that was with training inbetween matches. That bloody Lucario...

The gyms leaders I had the most trouble with where (shamed to say it but) all the gym leaders from crystal, clair was the one I had trouble was clair. Ice punched worked for all the pure dragon types, but kingdra was a whole other story, whole teams whiped out by that beast...

Must not forget Geovanni from yellow, took down 4 of my pokemon before I got one of his down, was so glad the last two where blastouse and venasuar.

Jasmine from johto. my strongest poke was a pidgeot and i had no fire types. i had to borrow a fire type from a friend so i could finally beat it.

Whitney and Bugsy all the way. Bugsy's strategy is a good one. Strong damage with U-Turn, switch to Kakuna. When Kakuna dies, repeat with Metapod. At the time I had a Totodile Lv14, Sentret Lv14, Hoothoot Lv13, Mareep Lv14 and a Magikarp Lv12. Three turns before I beat him. Now Whitney; her Clefairy is a pushover, but Miltank spams Milk Drink. At the time I just didn't have the raw power to beat her, even though Furret knew Focus Blast. :-\

I agree with Carmen. Watson is a Shock Wave spammer. Even more so on a Nuzlocke run. When you started with Treeko. And you didn't have a Fighting or Fire type at the time.

Ummmm... I think it was Falkner on my Gold. I would always start with Chikorita and he would pwn me with his lvl 9 Pidgeotto. And I would ALWAYS USE MY POOR CHIKORITA BECAUSE MY ENGLISH WAS SO BAD I THOUGHT "WEAK" MEANS "STRONG" IN MY LANGUAGE!!!!!!! Though it was solved with DAYS of training to lvl 20 on Ratts, Pidgeys (they were an AWESOME way for revenge. Heh heh heh.), Unowns and yeah... This memory always haunts me *Shivers* :-\

the hardest gym leader for me to beat was misty on my firered because i had a charmeleon and it was so hard (i evolved my charmander before the first gym so i could use metal tail metal claw or iron tail i cant remember)

All right, I give. Whitney was hard as heck on my current run of Crystal. How can a friggin cow outspeed a Pidgeotto AND a Furret?! It just doesn't make sense! In the end the only way I could beat her was hoping that my Croconaw's Ice Punches would freeze it. And they did, thank Arceus. Still, it's sad when you have to resort to those kinds of techniques to win :(

my hadest gym leaders hmm
R\S\E it was wattson cause i had a grovyle and it was lvl 27 {it got that high from battling him 30 times} and i still didnt beat him
HG: Not Really Anyone
Ss:pryce cause my pokemon are underleved and i still cant beat him
Fr\Lg: No one
D\P\Pl: diamond: fantina Candice Platnium: no one