• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Who is the chosen one? My problem with electrics.

Which electric pokemon?

• Raikou

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jolteon

• Electabuzz

• Another electric pokemon

• Total voters
I have been having a hard time deciding what electric pokemon I should pick for my *ahem* powerful and awesome team. I have the choice of:

a) Raiku:
(Magnet)
Thunder
Crunch
Iron tail
Hyper beam/Rain dance

b)Jolteon (I highly doubt Jolteon will survive. I'm beginning to think it isn't the right guy for the job.)
(black belt)
Thunder/Thunderbolt
Double Kick/Iron Tail
Pin Missile
Shadow Ball

c)Electabuzz
(Black Belt)
Thunder/Thunderbolt
-Any one of those awesome fighting moves!/Iron Tail
Psychic (A great surprise attack)
Toxic

In the end, I may decide to choose a whole other set of electric pokemon to choose from. I can't decide, I need your opinion. Don't just stand there! Post! :roll:

-Beepo

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Since I don't care much for legendaries I'll skip Raikou and Jolteon's move pool is pretty bad, but Electabuzz has A LOT of breeding potential. It can learn all three of the elemental punches, and with its already high Sp. Attack it'd be best to go with one of those then a less accurate fighting move.

Just think - Ice Punch to take care of Ground-types, Fire Punch to beat Grass. It's the perfect Electric-type IMO and could easily make an awesome sweeper (ie. Ice Punch, Fire Punch, T-Bolt, Psychic). In that case, I'd pick a Modest nature (Lowers Attack, Boosts Sp. Attack). It kinda depends on the rest of your team, though. Are the majority of them Special based or Attack based?

Anyways, that'd be my suggestion. If you really wanted Toxic left on I'd drop Fire Punch for it - Ice Punch is just to useful not to have.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
My Magneton was actually stronger than my Electabuzz was in terms of stats - which is why i chose it over Buzz to take on the Elite 4, even though it took me an hour to catch Electabuzz.

I dunno if it's always the case of if it was just a quirk of the natures but Magneton's stats were slightly better.

It's types are disastrous though - ever since it became a Steel type it's become nothing more than a furnace waiting to happen.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Let us compare, shall we? ^^

Magneton (neutral stats)
HP: 304
Attack: 229
Defence: 289
Sp. Attack: 339
Sp: Defence: 239
Speed: 239

Electabuzz (neutral stats)
HP: 334
Attack: 265
Defence: 213
Sp. Attack: 289
Sp: Defence: 269
Speed: 309

Nope, you were right in some ways Gary. Magneton's Sp. Attack pwnz Electabuzz's! If only they hadn't messed it up with the Steel element. It makes sense, yeah, but seriously kills all chances of its usefulness against Fast opponents :?

...but that Steel-type is what helps it be such an anti-Skarmory. There are pros and cons (much like at a jailhouse poetry convention, heh).

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've personally never needed the added defence against Skarmory. For the most part it goes down in one hit by any of my Electric-types ;)

No, I think Steel being there does more harm than good. Many people use Fire-types and that really gets it where it hurts :?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Both. Since Colosseum Pokemon tend to have as good or better stats than my own trained Pokemon, I'd say they count ;)

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Hmm. Horses for courses, is what I'm thinking (or some other utterly useless analogy, like "one man's meat is another man's poison"). I have a level 40+ Magneton in both my Sapphire and my Leaf Green games (along with a level 40+ Gyarados). Both those pkmn have a 4 x weakness, but I don't really find a problem with either of them. I wouldn't keep using them if I did!

Now, I've never used an Electabuzz, but up 'til now I've found that Magneton is the only Electric pkmn with any kind of useful defence. Not sure if I mean HP, Def or Sp Def in that. I just know it doesn't get knocked out every 5 minutes, unlike Pikachu, Raichu or Electrode. I'm pretty sure it's the Steel type that gives it protection.

Of course, I wouldn't send it out against someone with Flamethrower. That's what the Gyarados is for! :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ah, but what would you do in a tight situation when you didn't have the chance to switch out or the enemy surprised you? (ie. Colosseum) Sometimes you don't know if the opponent knows Fire attacks or not :wink:

I have to admit, I shouldn't knock on Magneton when I haven't trained one before. I've just noticed that every time I fight one it goes down fairly easily... Yet, I am a psychotic EQ user. I'm an Electabuzz fan because of its large range of abilities but Magneton is probably one of the better Electric-types, too.

*Makes a mental note to train one someday*

Btw - Anyone ever look into Ampharos' stats? I'm curious myself. It's a pretty good electric-type, too.

Ampharos (Neutral stats)
Hp: 384
Att: 249
Def: 249
Sp. Att: 329
Sp. Def: 279
Spd: 209

Nice high HP, better Sp. Attack than Buzz, but worse defence and speed than Magneton. Overall, not a bad choice if you don't care about the speed issue.

Amphy might not have the best Attack, but 249 really isn't *that* bad. In fact, Ampharos makes a surprisingly good Subpuncher:

Ampharos @Leftovers
Nature: Quiet (+Spec. Attack, - Speed)
-Thunder Wave
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Thunderbolt

Substitute is obviously to set up Focus Punch. Thunder Wave is primarily there to annoy fast Pokemon like Aerodactyl/Crobat, but can sometimes stop you from being hit and can force switches, so it supports Focus Punch too. ~.^