• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Which Sun/Moon Starter Will You Choose First?

Which Pokémon do you plan to use for your first Sun/Moon playthrough?

• Total voters

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
As the title – now we've had the Pokémon Sun and Moon starters revealed, which Pokémon do you currently plan to use for your first playthrough?

301554_rowlet.png
301555_litten.png
301556_popplio.png

Last edited:
Litten is the most appealing to me, though in truth all of them look great! I'll probably just wait until the final forms are revealed to make a last decision, though. I usually judge whether I'll use a starter by the appeal of it's final evo. But for right now I'll be admiring Litten's firey goodness! :nom:

Litten looks the best to me so far, so unless the water starter gets a great final evolution, I'll go fire for the first time in a while. I'm not a huge fan of Rowlet's double ice weakness, either.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I've chosen Popplio to be my starter in Moon. Everyone knocked Oshawott back in the months before Black and White and it ended up having the best evolution of the three. I look forward to history repeating itself.

Litten, It is hilarious of how it creates fire (it licks its fur then produces fire balls of hairy fury)

It looks so mysterious how it death glares EVERTHING.

And I just have a legacy for fire types :p

Litten is my favorite so far (CAAAAAAAAAAAATS) but it depends on what their final evolutions look like, types, movesets, etc. Also if SUMO will be compatible with Pokemon Bank right at release I might just restart the game a few times after saving extra starters.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Like others, I love all three of them so my final choice will heavily depend on their evolutions. However, by default I usually start with the Grass-type starter, so like usual Rowlet is my current default. I'm hoping that it evolves into a terrifying owl of doom. >=D

i've been having quite a bit of trouble with this, but i had an idea for my story, i finally decided on...
(Drumroll)
litten___new_pokemon_starter____by_seviyummy-da24o9i.png

Litten!
It's adorable!
I love Popplio and Rowlet, but it's really adorable!
Plus he could have a cool final form :)
I'm gonna wait a bit, but for now I join #TeamLitten
:)

For me, Litten was love at first sight, as soon as I saw it, I knew I had to go for it. I love cats in real life and live with 3, as soon as I saw it's adorable movements, I knew it was the choice for me.

I chose Litten because I didnt choose a Fire Type for any of the other Pokemon Games. I chose Bulbasaur, Totodile, Treeco, Turtwig, Oshawott, Chespin. I would choose Popillo because i really like the design and I like tha fact that Bulbasaur isnt the only one with Dual Starting Evolution. Now Bulbasaur and Rufflet are in the same position.

*points at Torchic* so who thought a tiny baby birb was going to evolve into a fighting type? You never know with Gamefreak these days.
To be honest lots of people were expecting that. Once they saw that Torchic had Orange around his Body they expected it to be a fighting also because of its little wings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll wait for the final forms but right now Litten as poplio's slightly Derpy and I never liked grass starters except bulbasaur and treecko. I also have a special place in my heart as my first game was heart gold and I loved cyndaquil.

Rowlet, Owls are my favourite animal. I'm actually wuite suprised at the poll results, every other place I went to had rowlet as the most popular :p the first name to pop to my mind was hedgewig, as a pun off of hedwig from harry potter, but it's so cringey I don't think i'll go with that.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Rowlet for me! I adore birds and Owls are up there amongst my favourites so ♥ I just want to call it Bubo and then maybe base the rest of my team names around Clash of the Titans references.

Although, Popplio is growing on me for some reason... we shall see ;)

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
It is unlikely that I'll be playing Sun/Moon any time near release (if at all) so it is likely that my perception re: my choice will be heavily affected by what these buggers evolve into. Tentatively though I'd say Rowlet - as a Grass-type Owl is one of the most me-ish things possible, and assuming they don't fuck it up, I suspect it might even become a favorite to some degree. We shall see.

Popplio is kinda derpy...which is why I'm probably going to choose him. Mudkip and Oshawott are derpy, and they turned out great.

Rowlett, even if the regional bird is (apparently) going to be the same type I gotta choose the grass flying type. Tropius is no longer alone in that type and I've always chosen the grass types for every game I played.

Hopefully it's like sceptile where it's a speedy damage dealer and hopefully it has something to counter it's ice weakness like a rock or fighting type move. Staraptor got close combat so there's a chance Rowlett will get something right... Right? O.o

Popplio definitely.

LOOK AWAY NOW IF YOU HATE OTHER'S OPINIONS
He gets all the hate, yet he is the only one who looks cute and stands out to me. Litten is overrated and looks like a grumpy cat that gets its trainer to do the work. Rowlet personally looks ugly and is very overrated.
And now the 2nd forms are released, definitely staying with Popplio as Brionne is so cute.

Oh yeah, the poll says Popplin, not Popplio

EDIT: Not going for Rowlet now sticking with Popplio now, I saw it on Google Images, and it just totally changed my mind, I cannot go without it.... ITS SO CUTE.... I don't really care about its evolutions, I just want to battle with it.
EDIT 2: Now I literally cannot decide between Popplio and Rowlet.
EDIT 3: Decided on Rowlet. Hopefully I do not change again. Popplio for Moon though.

Last edited:
Like the majority, I'll choose Litten ^.^" It's just so grumpy, and seems to not care about stuff, like me. I was waiting for a fire cat for so long. We have it nowww. I'm scared of clowns, which is what Poppilo is. Rowlet would be my second choice, because it has such cool possible evolutions. Buuuut, I like the cat. I honestly wouldn't mind it being fire/fighting. NOBODY COMPLAINS ABOUT THE PURE GRASS AND PURE WATER STARTERS. Infernape and Emboar were cool fire/fighting Pokemon. Blaziken...I'll give it a pass. I honestly hope Litten is fire/dark or fire/poison. My starter choices aren't usually the fire ones. I chose Charmander, Chikorita, Treecko, Chimchar, Snivy, then Froakie. The fire starters have always been about toughness and brute force. I honestly don't like the Kanto to starters, but if I had to pick, I'd choose Charmander. The majority of starters I choose are grass, but Litten is another story. Not to mention I love cats. But who knows, I might choose Rowlet in the end, if it's 4x ice weakness goes away in exchange for a dark typing.

As much as I wanna go with Litten, I'm not really sure. I keep saying I want one of those fire cats, but I love owls so freakin' much, so I'm not sure I can pass up a Rowlet. Also, nevermind-ing it's terrible weakness to Ice, I honestly think it could be pretty strong. Another bonus would be its evo's Death by Glamor look. I'm definitely going with Rowlet first, naming it Mettaton or just Metta for short, then Litten will be up next after that first playthrough it done. He'll be named Bill, probably, for his fireballs and badass-ness. I mean, if I can't fit Bill Cipher, anyway. :p

I'm honestly really freakin' torn with this one. I absolutely love cats so I find Litten to be extremely adorable, and I really like Torracat, too. However, I can't stand the poor thing's final evolution. I don't know if its type was confirmed yet or not, but fire/fighting types have never appealed to me and I'm not into cancelling evolution. So I've been considering picking Rowlet instead, but here's why I'm torn; I think its final evolution is rad as shit, but I really only think Rowlet itself is meh at best, and I really don't like Dartrix. I've also picked grass for every generation except 2 and 6, so I'd like to give one of the other types a chance, but I feel the same way about Popplio as I do about Rowlet.

EDIT: Ok, so after watching the new trailer today, I'm starting to lean more towards Rowlet. While I'm glad Incineroar didn't turn out to be fire/fighting, I still just don't like the wrestler vibe they went for with this one. Idk, it just looks too muscly for me, and those massive hands weird me out. I really like that Decidueye ended up being grass/ghost so that's probably what I'll go with.

Last edited:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Now that the final forms are officially confirmed and released... I can now say for a fact that I'm sticking with Rowlet. Decidueye is all kinds of awesome and it's definitely my favorite of the batch design-ways. I'm entirely neutral on Incineroar and Primarina - the former amuses me greatly on account of just how much personality the damn thing has - even if it's not even close to being a design I enjoy. The latter bugs me on account of not looking seal-like enough. I quite dig the merfolk/selkie angle, but the general design reminds me more of a cartoon ermine in a costume than a seal. Still, I can see what they were going for and I can kinda dig it. Just need to find the time to draw it (or rather, both of these things) in a style that would make me appreciate them again.

So yeah. I do want to train the other two at some point... but the Rowlet line - and Decidueye in particular, with its part-ghost typing - will become my first companions through the Alola region, for sure. ^^