• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Which Pokemon is better in your opinion?

Charizard or Typhlosion?

• Charizard

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Typhlosion

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Charizard

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Typhlosion

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
Me and Darkmetawolf have this as a running rivalry. I'm not trying to change her mind; I just love playing on the disagreement. XD I would take her Typhlosion on, but the only issue is, she has no 4th gen game to battle me from. And I don't necessarily want to wait until March 27th (when she finally gets her 3DS that she traded her DSi in for), so I decided to ask y'all.

Moving this here to Games Discussion as this more of a technical debate on the overall performance of both Pokemon.

I will say that Charizard being a Fire/Flying type suffers a lot more in battle with its 4x rock weakness, Stealth rock being the biggest problem it'll face. On the other hand, its flying type gives it a ground immunity, so Earthquake, being a fairly basic move in the competitive arena isn't a problem for it. Typhlosion is a decent fire type, but its not the greatest. With the physical-special split, its access to moves like Thunder Punch to help cover its weaknesses aren't as...helpful as it was back in gens 2 and 3. Not to mention both Pokemon with they're meager base 80+ attack stats aren't as desirable as fire types compared to the likes of Infernape and Magmortar, who can repsectively pull of Flare Blitz and Flamethrower to a much greater effect. Still, I should note Charizard does get Dragon Pulse, which is a good all-around attack against other Pokes.

That's about all I can say on the matter.

Well, I've gotta say Typhlosion, given he was my first Pokemon ever. Typhlosion just seems simple to me, compared to all of the other starters out there. I mean, he has basically two colors for his fur, and his body doesn't have all those wierd shapes and what not on it.

As far as battling skills go, I don't necessarily know all the stats and the what not about it, but the one I've got is a decent fighter. He can go a few rounds with pokemon with a type advantage over him, if we haven't already knocked them out with Blast Burn. Also, I'm not sure why, but when he gets confused or infatuated, he can almost always hit the enemy, granted there are some times when it does hinder him.

Charizard does get points from me for getting me into Pokemon, though, and the one I have is also a pretty decent fighter against type advantages, so it's not like I'm just voting because I only use Typhlosion.

Typhlosion is probably better off because it doesn't have a 4x SR weakness as RX mentioned, but Charizard has has a better design and, unlike Typhlosion, Charizard actually HAS a move pool. Typhlosion just has a move puddle--it got a few new toys in Gen V but it's still nothing to write home about. They have the same speed and offensive stat distribution, but that benefits Charizard a bit more than it does Typhlosion. Typhlosion does get a powerful Eruption though and I can't neglect to mention that.

Overall, my vote goes to Charizard for the above reasons among others >.>

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Lady Carmen said:
unlike Typhlosion, Charizard actually HAS a move pool.

That. That right there sums it up. Charizard can actually be used in a battle without the reasoning being "but...I likes him D:". Typhlosion is a battle fail, even when it has the same stats as Charizard. :x

Plus, Charizard just looks cooler. It's a giant, fire-breathing dragon. D:< That's just awesome. Typhlosion is a fail way to cap off that line after the awesomeness that are it's Pre-evos. >:T

I really a fan of them both design-wise, although I prefer Charizard, considering it is my favourite Pokemon. The 4x Stealth Rock weakness is a major drawback for Charizard, however it does make up for it's weaknesses with an immunity to one of the most common moves in the game, Earthquake, and with it's great movepool. Typhlosion's main downfall is his mono-Fire typing, as he misses out on STAB moves that other Fire types like Charizard and Infernape would get. The way he makes up is with Eruption, which can decimate entire teams.

But, still, Charizard get's my vote.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sir Red said:
Lady Carmen said:
unlike Typhlosion, Charizard actually HAS a move pool.

That. That right there sums it up.

Yep. What they said. Typhlosion might be a nifty Pokemon by design, and it doesn't have that x4 weakness like Charizard, but its move pool is so small that even using it in-game is a struggle! They've really been mean to Typhlosion when they could've given it so much more... Earth Power anymore?

I'm probably a bit biased, mind - while I love Typhlosion, Charizard is one of my favourite Pokemon, period - but I've trained both of 'em and still highly favour my Charizard for a variety of reasons.