• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Which Genres would you like to see new spin-offs explore/return to?

We've already had (deep breath): TCG, Pinball, Puzzle, Virtual Pet, Adventure, Dungeon Crawler, Action RPG, Action, FPS, Racing, Educational and Tactical RPG focused spin-offs, as well as a rumoured 2D Fighter. Would you like to see any new spin-offs that are centred around these genres, or perhaps a genre that the Pokémon franchise hasn't added to the considerable list it has amassed already?

Personally, there are a few genres I'd love to see -

Survival Horror
Pokémon doesn't exactly scream 'Survival Horror', but hear me out. The games never really explore the fact that you have to survive out in the wild while travelling between settlements, with only your Pokémon for company/protection. I think it would be pretty cool to have a game (perhaps top-down like Don't Starve) in which you have to survive in the wild while journeying between towns and cities. Obviously there would not be much of a horror element - it would have to be toned down similarly to how Pokémon Snap handled being an FPS. That said, a few jump-scares in the Old Chateau wouldn't go amiss.

4X
4X games, like Risk II and Sid Meier's Civilisation, involve four primary goals: eXplore, eXpand, eXploit and eXterminate. Pokémon Conquest did have elements of this, but I'd really enjoy a proper 4X Pokémon game. It would probably be better served in a different universe to the main series one, although I suppose it could be achieved using gyms or real places such as Celadon and Fortree. It'd be cool ordering your units of trainers/Pokémon around, conquering and pillaging. That said, I'm not sure if I'd enjoy trying to expand into Red's territory (or parleying with him - I hear he's a shrewd negotiator).

Rhythm Platformer
As someone who has played HarmoKnight a lot, enjoying every minute of it, I can't state enough how awesome it would be if we got a proper Pokémon Rhythm Platformer. The few Pokémon stages you get in HarmoKnight are so much fun, especially as they are all well-known, so one immediately has a grasp of the level. Unfortunately, they are few and far between. Either some DLC or a separate game for HarmoKnight that uses exclusively Pokémon music or Pokémon's own rhythm platformer would be a tonne of fun.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
First of all Pokemon Snap is not an FPS, if anything it's a rail shooter.

Secondly, I wouldn't really want to see Pokemon venture to any other genre that it hasn't yet ventured to, but I would like to see another TCG spinoff game. The last one released outside of Japan was the only one we ever got, and that was back in Gen I. Granted, the Pokemon.com website offers a TCG game that you can download, but you have to pay money for more cards so to me, it doesn't count.

So yeah, another TCG spinoff is all I'd want from them.