• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Where is the happy?[An Evolution Topic]

So, I have a Budew that I caught on level 10, now on level 30, and still has not evolved along with a Cleffa I caught on level 12, now on 24, who has not evolved also.

Question is, how can I make them happier?! I mean, Budew single handily took down the Orenburg Gym.

(POST your request for happy and evo help here tooo.)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I take it you're still early in the game, eh? Once you get a bit further you can have a girl from Veilstone massage one of your Pokemon once a day (instant happiness perk, tho I'm not sure to what degree). Then there's always the Soothe Bell but, again, not that early on in the game.

Supposedly in DP, if you walk around with your Pokemon for a certain amount of steps, then level them up, you'll increase their happiness a bit. I think the number I read was 250 steps, but someone else will need to confirm that... Either way, my advice to you pre-Soothe Bell and massages would be to keep the Pokemon you want to evolve at the head of your team, walk around with them a lot, level 'em up, and never let them faint on you. Even when you're doing all that, though... happiness evos are evil and annoying as heck. I feel your pain >>

I agree with Linkachu,I recently caught my Budew on my second game.My REAL question is,How often do you have to run into Mesprit before it stops running away?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with Linkachu,I recently caught my Budew on my second game.My REAL question is,How often do you have to run into Mesprit before it stops running away?

>>

That has nothing to do with this topic, so why did you post it here? First warning. Read the global rules and, when replying to a thread, keep to the actual subject. If you want to ask something completely different, make a seperate topic on it.

Yeah, I'm early. I started ovr and I cant get past the ace trainers to get Veilstone. So Im probably killing their happiness. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, when my Cleffa does happen to agree to evolve, is there a moon stone in the game somewhere?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Well on emarald my torchic evoled om lvl 15 then evoled agin on lvl35 does that mean my pokemon likes me a lot

You need to brush up on your PokeDex info, eh?

There are different types of evolution methods in the games. Most, like Torchic's line, evolve when they reach a certain level. Some of them only evolve when a certain stone is used on them, ie. a Moon Stone on Clefairy will give you Clefable. Happiness-based evolutions were introduced in GS, and basically, the only way you can evolve those Pokemon - ie. Pichu, Cleffa, Budew, and a handful of others - is if they really like you. For some Pokemon like Eevee to Umbreon or Riolu to Lucario, though, the Pokemon both need to like you AND be leveled up at a certain time of day.

In short, Torchic doesn't have a happiness-based evolution, so no, it evolving has nothing to do with how much it likes you.

I took your advice and went to the massage lady. Note the trainer card =] )). Now I have to wait until tomorrow for Cleffas turn...then I have to wait to russel up $40 for an internet adapter for my DS to get the stones....*sigh*

Um, Linkachu, I think he was asking why his Torchic and Combusken evolved a level early. (He said 15 for combusken and 35 for Blaiziken) But for all I know, he evolves at those levels, I picked Mudkip. For the most part thugh they evolve at 16 then 36 not 15 and 35.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Yes, just go down to the Underground and dig around for them.

Incidentally, the walking around thing isn't new to D/P - it's always been there. 250 steps gives your Pokemon +1 happiness.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Um, Linkachu, I think he was asking why his Torchic and Combusken evolved a level early. (He said 15 for combusken and 35 for Blaiziken) But for all I know, he evolves at those levels, I picked Mudkip. For the most part thugh they evolve at 16 then 36 not 15 and 35.

Didn't pay attention to the levels to be honest, so I apologize for mindless lecturing, but the point still stands. Torchic needs no love to evolve. Abuse will work just fine as long as you gain those levels :)

There's only two reasons why a Torchic would evolve a level early... and neither are good things :p

Incidentally, the walking around thing isn't new to D/P - it's always been there. 250 steps gives your Pokemon +1 happiness.

Now that is the sort of info I wish I'd known back then... even if I did avoid happiness evos like the plague xp

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Also, wild Clefairies and Cleffas (which can be found around Mount Coronet) have a chance of carrying a moon stone. It's a small chance, but it's there.

In all my digging in the underground I just found my first Moon Stone. They're actually more common in the underground in Pearl than Diamond after you get the National Dex. Sun Stones are more plentiful in Diamond after the Nat dex. And I've dug up more Sun Stones than I know what to do with.

A great way to raise happiness for some Pokemon is to take it around the park near Hearthome. It only works for certain Pokemon, but it really gives a boost to their happiness.