• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

When "Dreams" Actually Come True :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
If someone had ever told me I'd get to see one of my all-time favourite bands live, minus a TV, without having to travel off island, I would've called 'em naive. Very naive.

Well, hot damn. Some dreams do some true :p

Yeah, the Barenaked Ladies may be Canadians, but they've never shown any indication of hitting Prince Edward Island for a show in the past. Until now ^^ I'll be seeing them next Sunday (rain or shine - I'll still have a blast), and they're probably one of my top 2 favourite bands of all time. Possibly the top. The Black Mages - not really a "true" band, but meh - rivals it.
A friend of mine once pointed out that it's wrong to call a band like the Barenaked Ladies my "favourite". They're not really a 'deep' band, or 'cool' (hip with teh kiddies!). They're really quite "fun for the whole family"-ish, but that's fine by me. Still love 'em. Fun lyrics, good music, easy on the ears, fun to sing to.

They say they sing a slightly different version of "If I Had a Million $$$" at each of their live shows. Can't wait 8)

This isn't the first time that one of my long running "dreams" have come true, though. Semi-realistic dreams, that is (as much as I expect real live Pokemon to just pop up someday soon... XP). Another time was actually getting to hug one of those folks in teh big Pikachu costumes ^^

What about you guys? What sort of doubtful stuff have you hoped for in the past that actually came true? Try to be more specific than "I hoped to see a great movie, and I did" :p

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Cool. Barenaked Ladies are awesome.

The band is quite good too. :D

I don't really get "dreams come true" shit :/... I guess the best I can come up with is Pokecharms being a success. It aint something i'd have imagined 6 years ago.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I don't really get "dreams come true" shit :/

What's not to get? It's just another way of saying "stuff you never thought possible, or very doubtful" or whatnot :p

Like, for me, meeting you guys IRL is something I'd consider a "dream come true". It's possible alright, but in the back of my mind I still see the likeliness of it ever happening very slim.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Even if I persuade my parents to go on holiday in Canada, this time perhaps a road trip instead of just the weekend at the falls... Perhaps visiting PEI... *grins* It could happen.

Obviously, I've met Alex and Dave IRL, and that was sort of a dream come true. It must've been some really obscure dream though. Oh, and RLRL. Took him to the prom. :p I'd love to meet some more of you guys. As long as no one spontaneously turns up on my doorstep, of course.

As long as no one spontaneously turns up on my doorstep, of course.

That was funny at least... me turning up 2 and a half hours early.... hehehe

Im actually really jealous of linkachu for seeing barenaked ladies as they are really amazing...

But then again, on Monday I was supposed to be seeing one of my favourite bands, Scarling, in London with one of my friends. Well basically we were 4th and 5th in line waiting outside the club, and then when they finally opened them (20 minutes late to start) i was going through and she was stopped, they asked her how old she was, she said she was 16 and then we were told it was an 18+ venue despite the concert being advertised as all ages (which i pointed out a hell of a lot of times, i had a printout of the website that even said it).
Unfortunately we weren't allowed to go in despite the ticket company's cockup due to liscencing laws, me and her weren't the only ones that were being turned away either, there was a lot of people most of which walked off but eventually there was 10 of us standing around outside the club arguing with all the staff (which was acutally really fun). So eventually one of the other girls' dad spoke to the manager, and the rest of us went to the bar around the side of the club so we could still hear the music, then the manager came out to see us and basically said "We know the ticket company made a mistake, to make it up, you can meet Scarling"!!! So yeah we all got taken backstage to meet the band, got given posters and badges (we all got our posters autographed (mine says "you are lovely and manorexic, but not from crack!)) And yeah it was amazing....

So yeah, thats close to a dream come true for me... ^_^

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Yay Scarling! That reminds me (although the first post should've done that really); I've never actually been to a concert. I'd love to, and if I ever get to, I think I'd scream out of happiness. :p Especially if it was someone like... Hm. Evanescence. Or possibly Lacuna Coil. That'd be awesome.

And it may've been funny for you, but it left me a bit lost for things to do. Having you steal my computer for an hour wasn't exactly what I had in mind. :p

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
No, I only said that because I was trying to think of brilliant bands that I'd love to see for my first concert experience. Although their live CD wasn't that good, IMO, but oh well. :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
LOL.

I'd love to see Evanescence live, too, but that again would be beyond naive :p

Still... Black Mages. Live. Pwnz all. The chances of that ever happening around here is about -100%, tho. I don't even know if they're still playing together XD

My friend in america stole my dream actually.... She went to warped tour this week, without me, then when she was just randomly walking around, she met Less Than Jake who are actually my favourite band in existance! To make it worse she took pictures with them and posted them on my YSIR page...
So yeah, I need a job so I can go to the warped tour next year, or if anyone wants to send me money? =D

Erm... I saw this band named 'Reliant K' a couple years ago.. >.>

And that brings us to the end of my live concert list.

Like, the band itself came to my little town and played, because some stupid christian group hounded them until they agreed to play.

The only song I liked was 'The Pirates That Don't Do Anything'

>xD

Anyhoo.. I have no clue who any of the previously mentioned bands are.. save Amy Lee's.

Barenaked Ladies? I'unno

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
"We are the pirates, that don't do anything. We just stay at home and lie around. And if you ask us to do anything, we'll just tell you we don't anything!"

xD I like Relient K, :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Update!

So, concert was yesterday... and it PWN'D ALL! @__@

Those guys had the best stage presence I've seen from a band yet. Hell, they even made up a little diddy about Prince Edward Island and the lead singer's sunburn :p The banter was great, and I couldn't complain about the music aside from the fact that they missed a few of my faves (like Shoebox)... But that's something you just have to accept when a band has so many great songs.

Two bands opened for 'em, which was pretty good aside from the fact that I just wanted them gone so BNL could come on. And, of course, the BNL only played for about two hours... Encore and all! I was at least hoping for two and a half :*(

But, yeah. Overall, best concert evar. Or so far. Supposedly they're doing a Canadian tour next year and hitting PEI again in February ^^

That sounds really cool, Katie-san! ^_^

I've never been to a band concert before. Then again, I don't really like any bands, so...I don't really need to. ^_^;;

But a dream coming true...I guess...nothing has happened to me. -_-

Aside from an award in middle school. See, when I was looking through the student handbook in grade six, I saw that there was this award for overall academic achievement and attendance (maybe other stuff, too) that was awarded to a few grade eight students each year. I thought that it sounded like the only award I'd have even a slight chance of getting, and I thought it might be cool if I did, in fact, get it.

Then, during my grade eight promotion ceremony, I was one of the people to get it. I didn't know I was getting it, and I forgot about it, in fact. It was pretty cool, getting that award. My grandfather was there to see it, and that made me pretty happy. ^_^

But other than that...nothing...^_^;;

Im slightly shocked at persian's comment... How can you not like any bands?
I mean, music is just something that I personally have always identified with, one of the first things I do when I log onto my computer is to press the lil media button on my keyboard to open up winamp, I can't do alot of things without music at least in the background....
Then again, ive only been to 4 concerts, and the 4th I technically was at but not inside, 5th concert next month, I mean not all people go to concerts, but to not have affiliations to bands is strange to me... =S

Im slightly shocked at persian's comment... How can you not like any bands?
No...I like music...I just generally don't like bands. Or, maybe I should rephrase...American bands. The only music I like to listen to is Japanese...and still, most of my favorite songs are by single artists (like Hamasaki Ayumi or Ootsuka Ai). And even still I don't really ever become a fan of a single artist or band.

And I'm not a concert type of person, I think. I don't know if I'd really get excited about seeing one, even in Japan. *shrugs*

But yeah...usually, I don't get into bands. I just like a song...but not really the band, just the song...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Then, during my grade eight promotion ceremony, I was one of the people to get it. I didn't know I was getting it, and I forgot about it, in fact.

Can semi-relate to that. For graduation at my old high school, if multiple awards are being given by a specific place they have everyone line up in order of importance - or the largest awards first. I was getting one of the $600 entrance awards from my Uni of choice simply due to my grade average, so I lined up where they'd told me to during the rehearsals.

Long story short... They ended up announcing that I'd won a full-tuition scholarship for my Nursing program. I had no idea, and wasn't even in the right line-up order to receive it. People said I looked completely bewildered as I stepped up to receive it. It was just... wow @_@

So yeah. That was fun ^^;

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
*hugs Persian* I didn't know anyone else knew about Ayumi here! Whee!

Another of my dreams would be for all my RP characters to come to life. But that would be... disturbing, since most of them want to kill as many people as possible.

*is posting from a free access point somewhere in Cornwall*

Dreams that have come true.... lets see......
1. buy a horse - well I can't see that one happening very soon, especially seeing as I'm stuck inside at the mo (IN THE SUMMER HOLIDAYS) doing tech coursework (damn it all) with no time whatsoever to actually look after a horse. Also my general stable knowledge is fairly basic so the chance of me looking after the horse well is pretty slim
2. Ride across a beach - well this one's close to be completed! I need to do one more outdoor ride before I can go for a 2 hour hack on the beach (I can 't wait!!!)
3. moving up to a more advanced lesson in my riding stables - DONE! I'm going to the next lesson up today and I'm SOOO nervous.

Well, sorry to all you people expecting Pokemon related dreams :p

Status
Not open for further replies.