• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What's your favourite early Pokémon bird line?

Favourite early game bird Pokémon line?

• Pidgey/Pidgeyotto/Pidgeot

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Spearow/Fearow

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Hoothoot/Noctowl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taillow/Swellow

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Starly/Staravia/Staraptor

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Pidove/Tranquil/Unfezant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fletchling/Fletchinder/Talonflame

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Pikipek/Trumbeak/Toucannon

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
My personal favourite is the Starly line :D Starly was the first wild Pokémon I ever ran into plus it's adorable, and Staraptor is just awesome. I always try to get a female one, and I usually name her Stella, the name of the one I first caught :) Although there is something I love about Fearow's cry for some reason...:p

What about you?

If you know me, you know I love the early bird Pokémon and all other flying types, so it's really difficult to choose. If I had to pick, however, I'd have to say either the Taillow line or the Starly line, with the Fletchling and Pikipek lines coming in at a close second.

Why? Well, the first game I ever played was Pokémon Diamond; a borrowed game from my cousin (sorry for deleting your save file, man) Starly was one of the first Pokémon I encountered (besides bidoof), and I even did a nuzkocke run on Pearl with one (RIP Brittany) and I have since grown attached to them.
The Taillow line is one of my favourites for another reason entirely. When I was younger and still lived at my previous house, I used to raise butterflies. No, not the ones from those fancy kits. My neighbors had a problem with caterpillars eating their parsley, so Past Riverrunner swooped in and decided to raise them on her own within a large plastic jug. The resulting butterflies were called Black Swallowtails (and they are still today and will always be my favourite species of butterfly :3). The taillow line, based off of the real-life swallow (bird) reminds me a lot of them and that's why I love that line in particular.
As for the runner-ups, they're on the list because of my fascination with Phoenixes (or any mythical creature really) and because Trumbeak is just an awesome Pokémon toucan carry its own weight on my team (despite the whole woodpecker to toucan debate).
That...
That's it.
There isn't a long answer for those last two, I'm just a dork.

i think i would go with the pidgey line mostly because(not to be a genwunner) it was one of the first flying types that you would find and when i played fire red when i caught my first pidgey i trained him hard to evolve and he almost always 1 hit ko the pokemon that giovani had

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not usually much for early-game birds, but I'd say that Staraptor is probably my preferred one, largely due to stat distribution and Close Combat - I still feel the thing should have gotten a partial Fighting type, or at least a Fighting/Flying Mega Evolution, to go along with that, but I guess at the time they were still afraid to make them too interesting. Not a huge fan of Starly and Staravia, mind.

I'm torn about whether or not the Pidgey line or the Swellow line get my second place though. Pidgey is nostalgic. Swellow has Guts and I had a character that was deeply involved with the Taillow line once. It's a bit of a dilemma, to be honest. ^^;

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Talonflame, because it was the strongest one (until they nerfed Gale Wings) and was different to the others by virtue of being a Fire-type. The others were always just kind-of there for me.

The Pidgey line for nostalgic reasons. Pidgeot is part of what I call my gen 1 all-star team. Not too powerful but it did just enough with just enough speed and had priority in Quick Attack. Still fun to use in older versions IMO.

Nostalgia aside, Talonflame is great because of it's type difference. That Poke added a breath of fresh air to the usual early birds that we see. I do also really like Noctowl. Not very strong for attacking but it can tank pretty well. Noctowl saved my hide many times in my early gen 2 days by being a decent switch-in and being able to put stuff to sleep. Worked out pretty well despite subpar attack power.

I'm a sucker for the Starly line. My Starly was the second Pokemon I had caught, and I had named it Ebou after the second kata in kempo style karate. That was my 'shtick' for the naming for the first twelve or so Pokemon. I have one every game, like using Roman names for Black 2. I loved Staraptor's design, moveset, and just general cool raptor-ness. It being my first bird likely helped. :p

I've never been huge on the early birds, I had a pigeot in my first ever yellow game, then again in leaf green, but i've always found them a bit meh, also I felt they really messed up in ORAS with mega pigeot not being available til postgame. if anything, I found the anime's tendency to have ash catch them each gen, with very similar evolution episodes, I've always avoided really using them.

I say this....

In my extensive playthroughs of black and white, I developed a fondness for unfezant, super luck is indeed a wonderful ability, however I kinda got suckered in during gen 6.... I adore talonflame, I didn't know it was about to become the most OU pokemon, I just caught a fletchling and went "yeah I'll use the early bird this gen" and it just never left my team, absolutely loved it as a pokemon, knocking the otherwise fabulous jester from it's perch.

"Early Bird" it's in the title, you don't find wild charizards on route 1, honestly, the thread is so simple in its premise, are you trying to be smart or funny? 'Fire Lizard' is not 'Bird'