• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What's your favorite writing utensil

Whitch writing utensil do ou prefer to use

• Fountin pen

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Any others I can't think of

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Mechanical Pencil

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • Pencil

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Ball point pen

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Fountin pen

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Any others I can't think of

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Mechanical Pencil

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • Pencil

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Ball point pen

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Hello 'Charms ,SC here.
I masking ,what do you like to write with. If you say computer keyboard then I'll kick you ass!I mean ,all opinions are accepted.

For me ,I prefer to use a ink pens and mechanical pencils because I don't want to have to worry and scurry for a pencil sharpener.

What about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a random subject ....
Haha well xD ,
I got a question .
Does a Gel pen fit in the category "any others I can't think of" ...?

Mechanical pencils all the way for me, as most of my written stuff is either for my maths or chemistry classes (being all I take at school :p). Although I did mark down fountain pen as well, as I can write calligraphy. I used to use fountain pen all the time but the whole calligraphy idea sucks for time management in exams ^^;

Mechanical pencil, preferably my Paper Mate Clearpoint 0.7mm. It's nice having a grip that's not a giant foam cushion, and I don't need to move my fingers in order for the led to come out (there is a button right above the grip.)

I really don't buy any other mechanical pencil than those.... Except those gag mechanical pencils that look like a No. 2 pencil c:

I also like to use Pilot FriXion pens, which are erasable gen pens. They're really smooth and sleek, and they don't smear all over the page. My only complaints with them is the fact that the eraser isn't on the cap, which makes it plastic fodder, and that due to it being a gel pen, it runs out within two weeks.

Although I wish I still do so, I no longer write calligraphy. Also, regular pencils have horrible erasers and you have to sharpen them.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Generally I like to write with ball point pens. Mechanical pencils are my second choice, but I tend to break them quite often. Writing with a pencil is also less permanent than a pen, and when you're dealing with large binders or scribblers I'll often notice my pencil writing getting smudged/rubbed away - sometimes to the point of being unreadable. Pens eliminate a lot of this (so long as you're not rubbing your hands over the fresh ink), but they also just feel more natural for me, too.

That said, I can be particular about the brand and quality of pen that I'll use. Dirt cheap pens are crap, but you can get some really nice ones for 50 cents to a buck more. ♥

A

Anonymous

Animefan1 said:
This is a random subject ....
Haha well xD ,
I got a question .
Does a Gel pen fit in the category "any others I can't think of" ...?
Yes ,yes it does count

My first preference is the classical pencil. I do all my drawings in pencil, and I like the feel of a pencil when writing. I usually use pencil for maths out of sheer habit. My second choice is fountain pen, as I rather like the shape and style of it.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I use mechanical pencils for almost everything except when I need what I'm writing to be permanent or a mechanical pencil isn't available. Regular wooden pencils need to be resharpened which isn't a good thing when taking between two to three pages of notes per class in school. Plus it is so much neater to just erase something when you make a mistake as opposed to scratching it out like with a pen.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Mechanical Pencils. That way I can erase any mistakes I have, they don't smudge as easily as pens and they don't feel all weird and creepy to me like regular pencils do. :'D

Crayons are pretty bitching too. B)

Mechanical pencils, all the way (though I also marked pencil, because I prefer the graphite to ink)

Pens, for me, make my handwriting even worse than it already is, and I think it has something to do with the friction of it. I prefer mechanical pencils for the ease (no getting up to sharpen) and the ability to erase. Although when I write, depending on how quickly I am, I don't erase, but scratch out my mistakes, even it it's in pencil. I'm silly sometimes.

Pencil is also much better for doodling.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Cody said:
Although when I write, depending on how quickly I am, I don't erase, but scratch out my mistakes, even it it's in pencil. I'm silly sometimes.

I totally do that too. |D I think it's because I'm writing so fast and to spend the time flipping the pencil over and erasing would take to long when I'm totally in the moment and writing fantastic things. :'D

I prefer using mechanical pencils because my handwriting is neater, but I mostly write my lecture notes in pen because pencil tends to transfer onto different pages and make my notes illegible. It has to be a ball point pen though because gel ink gets pretty messy too.

I preeeefer regular wooden pencils. They're the easiest- for me- to use when I write, draw, etc... And with schoolwork, and stuff...

But when I'm feeling bored and/or spontaneous, I like to use glitter pens. Y'know, pens with shiny ink and glitter on the inside.... Yeah. And colored pencils. Though, the constant sharpening is such a hassle...

I have to say I love the normal, number two pencil. It's good at shading, due to the rounded sides, the point, and the ability to vary the pressure without breaking the lead (yes, I'm looking at you, mechanical pencil).

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
These days I mostly use mechanical pencils for most of my artstuffs. Usually I carry around a green Pilot Super Grip 0.5 (that is, the plastic on the mechanical pencil is green, not the graphite-y bits. I refuse to call them leads. They haven't got a fraction of fucking lead in them. RESPECT THE GOGDAMN CRAZY CARBON COMPOUNDS, DAMNIT.)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Speaking of artstuffs... When I draw and stuff, I actually dislike both mechanical pencils and pens. I need a standard wooden pencil when attempting to draw anything or I find I simply don't have the same amount of control, or in the case of pens the same freedom to erase.

Not that I doodle much anymore, but sometimes I feel like it. :3

Well, I like to use a ball point pen for writing, mainly because you don't need as much pressure to write with it, and it doesn't break, granted that it will just stop sometimes -_- But anyway, it's what I use the most. When I doodle or try math, I swap over to the mechanical pencil so I can erase. If I could find a cheap, erasable pen, then I'd be happy XD

I like to use people for my writing utensil, just pick them up and use their face on my sheet of paper, there's no better way to get some good impressions on your paperwork than using a living being. Other than that a pen, I can't stand pencil scratching sounds, ugh.

I tend to lean towards mechanical pencils when I work on my comic... Simply because it's always a fine line, and they normally have good quality erasers... Also, the material is easier on my hands than a wooden pencil... In other words, I get less blisters when I write for hours with a mechanical pencil, than when I write for hours with a normal pencil... And lets face it, a pencil that you sharpen and then it just breaks again... We all hate that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mechanical Pencil and ballpoints for me.
I love how thin the lead is for mechanical pencils for doodling. You can get some very fine lines wiffem.
Ballpoints let me write super fast, and I can read it so that's all that matters.

Mechanical Pencils and Pens.
Mechanical Pencils, like the person above me said, make good lines. Plus im more used to them when it comes to art and drawing and sketching.
I use pens for outlining and making the lines seem darker and making it un-eraseable.

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
I'm more prone to regular pencils than anything else. I tend to lose whatever I'm using quite easily, so I find it better to lose something less valuable and easier to replace. Seeing as I don't use writing utensils for much more than writing, I don't pay much mind to the quality of the utensil as long as it works.