• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What's the Last NEW Game You Played?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Stolen from another forum haunt of mine, this is very much like the classic "What are you listening to right now?" topic but with a game twist.

EDIT: Okay, decided that the "last game you played" gets far too redundant, so I've changed the topic to only take into account games you're playing for the first time, or games you haven't played in ages. No complaints I hope? ;)

I'll start... Last game I played was Lunar Dragon Song for the DS. I must admit that for all the faults I see with the game it's keeping me coming back for more. Its music isn't as bad as most of the major gaming sites made it out to be either. Might not be as great as the originals, but it's pretty good compared to other handheld RPGs (which always seem to lack IMO - minus the Pokemon series'. Hopefully this new generation of RPGs for handhelds will show us a change of pace).

In anticipation of Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble next week, I'm barreling through Viewtiful Joe right now. I expect to have it finished by Thursday, when I'll start on Viewtiful Joe 2.

Even though I'm technically working on Pokemon XD at the moment, the last game I played was DDR Mario Mix. I'm really liking it, but according to some of my friends, it's rather geared for beginners.

The songs rock out loud, as I'm sure QQ can testify.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Hn... The last game I've played...

Actually I am not sure. Golden Sun 2: The Lost Age was the last game I "seriously" played and finished. But lately, I've played a bit of a REALLY pretty looking game for the PS2 called Shadow of the Colossus. (Thank dog a friend of mine from the base has a PS2 in his room! :p) Unfortunately, I barely got through the first level without dying, so. :p

3D Platformers and me don't mix.

The last game I played was Chaos Legion. It's a good game but it lacks in move diversity, it's a bit too button bashing orientated for my liking. Still, good graphics, good storyline and funky red hair!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I give one simple rule - bold the title of the game - and you people can't even follow that!? :p *Killz*

Lunar Dragon Song was again the last thing I played... Probably will be until I get bored of it or Mario Kart comes out. I'd just rather play nothing but it until I finish it. Would be kind if I turned on Nintendogs and checked on my puppy, though ^^;

I see no unbolded games in any of my posts... *cough*

Anyway, I played some Phoenix Wright this morning. Desparately waiting to get access to my GCN again so I can play XD some more... and potentially Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble.

Blech. The PSP's web browser makes Netscape look as sophisticated as the Matrix.

On topic, I played some Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix with a friend last night, and later on today we'll be chillin' with Mario Party 7.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I haven't played any videogames for a looooong time... But the last one I played was Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time with a friend... Damn water temple. It took her a year to complete it, and it took me a month to find the damn place! XD I'm such a twat...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Pokemon XD. After checking out some stuff online to determine what more you can do after beating the game I figured I'd try to complete everything. Doubt I'll play long enough to collect/beat every Battle Disc challenge but I'll at least snag and purify all the Shadow Pokemon. Just caught Nosepass today, meaning one left to go ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Animal Crossing Wild World... Pretty much the only game I've played for days, minus a short game of Meteos. Even if my play time on it dwindles once I finish off my house (which shouldn't be for a another few weeks to a month), there aren't many games that'd keep m playing hours a day, every day, for over two months ;D

I was playing EarthBound again so I could get a screenshot of the Plague Rat of Doom that I could use for a project in my Italian class. Yeah, you heard me.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Welcome back Zapdos. ^^

Last played Emerald - desperately trying to beat the cheating Tate and Liza. How come I had no idea they managed to get new Pokemon between R/S and Emerald? Went into battle expecting Solrock and Lunatone with my Absol and Azumarill at the ready and bam, on comes Claydol and something else I can't quite remember.

Bah, cheating Gym Leaders.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've owned it for over half a year, but a couple of nights ago I played Advance Wars 2 for the first time... and I'm in love O.O

The gameplay might not be as fancy as some PC strategy games of that nature, but it's good enough. Now that I'm getting into missions where I can build my own units things are really heating up. Tanks! Battle Coppers! Missiles! Strategy games rock! XD

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I played Nintendogs yesterday! Thank god for annoying brothers who ask ceaselessly for the games they want... We've agreed to train a dog each on his game, so I get a cute little Shiba Inu, and he and my sister get a labrador each. Mainly because we argued for ages over how much money we would need. Actually, I don't have my dog yet, but I will! Or I'll erase all his data when he goes off with school! Mwahahaha...

I was playing some more Puyo Pop Fever.

My god, is this game addictive. You know that whole 'life' thing? Yeah, because of that game, I fear I won't have one much longer. ^^;

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Peter went into town and came back with We Love Katamari, which is finally out in Europe. It's insanely fun.

Other than that, Pokemon XD, all the way.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
/grave digging

Lately I've been rotating between quite a few games. .hack//INFECTION for PS2 is probably the game I've spent the most time on over the last week (though I've only played it for about 9-12 hours or so), while I decided to start up Disgaea: Hour of Darkness tonight.

If you're not a PS2 RPG/strategy fan, stop reading now ^^

The .hack game is an interesting twist on RPGs since it mimics an MMORPG yet isn't one whatsoever, but its dungeon system gets very repetitive after awhile. Still, I'll probably grin and bear them simply to progress through the plot (it seems worth it, for now). Truth be told, the .hack//SIGN anime series and .hack graphic novels are what drove me to play the game. It's still too early to say if I'll buy part 2 + or the brand new .hack game. If anyone has actually played the new one, let me know how it is.

Overall I'm probably enjoying Disgaea more. It's a turn-based, strategy game that takes place in the Netherworld (w00t for anime-ish demons and monsters!) and plays very similar to La Pucelle Tactics. IMO, it already seems better than Phantom Brave, which is another strategy game made by the creators of Disgaea, La Pucelle, Makai Kingdom, etc. Every strategy game they make of that nature adds something new to the gameplay, but Phantom Brave's additions only hindered the gameplay verses improving it. Maybe it added a new level of strategy, but I just found it bothersome. Can't comment on Makai Kingdom yet because I don't own it, and I think there's yet another title in that collection out now (if not released yet, then very soon). It's safe to say, though, that if you enjoy games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, etc. and Anime you'll probably love any game from that collection.

Mother 3.

I really don't think this needs justification... if you're overwhelmingly curious, go read my post at the Tavern or something.

Long story short, I love it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Mother 3.

I really don't think this needs justification... if you're overwhelmingly curious, go read my post at the Tavern or something.

Long story short, I love it.

Assuming you have the game in a format easily sendable to others *coughs*, I'm totally pestering you for it next time I see you online ^^

Anyways... Latest games. I actually did most of my New Super Mario Bros. gaming two weeks ago, but today I picked it up again to beat the dreaded second-last dungeon. I'll beat the final castle someday, but that last dungeon shot my nerves. Evil, evil moving blocks... >.>

I need to buy a new DS game. Soon. :( (or at least finally steal Phoenix Wright away from my bro)

Let me just be the first to say that the ending/endgame is frickin' amazing.

With that said, back on topic.

Right, I finally got Tales of Symphonia this past weekend. It's pretty cool, although I definitely need to work on getting better at the battle system. X_x I get slaughtered.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks to my mom for paying half the price (she bribed me ;)) I finally got Lost Magic (DS). It's more or less what I expected from the reviews. The magic system is fun but work intensive (you have to draw the rune design of each spell every time you use it), and it's difficult sometimes to control your monsters - or even the main character - since you can't make groups. You have to re-select the units every time you want to move them.

Not the best game, but for the $20 I have to pay it was worth it. Now all I need are WiFi opponents >=)