• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What's next for Pokemon?

What do you predict is next for Pokemon?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Spinoff series (50/50 chance)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • New Pokemon Ranger (3DS?)

• Pokemon Grey/Gray (Speculated announcement to come between January and May)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • New Mystery Dungeon DS and 3DS

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Untitled Pokemon Game on the Wii (Rumored to be Wii U)

• Other

• New Spinoff series (50/50 chance)

• New Pokemon Ranger (3DS?)

• Pokemon Grey/Gray (Speculated announcement to come between January and May)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • New Mystery Dungeon DS and 3DS

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Untitled Pokemon Game on the Wii (Rumored to be Wii U)

• Total voters
Aside from spinoffs, the main games will most likely be Grey and a possible R/S remake.

I think Grey will be on the DS, but an R/S remake will probably go to the 3DS.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
IMO, all of the above. It's likely we're getting a split Mystery Dungeon just as before; we sincerely hope we'll get a WiiU arena game at least; a third version of some description is a pretty sure bet these days; a new Ranger game is likely, and we've had new spinoffs (Pokémon Rumble etcetera) recently so, if they think of a spinoff there's no reason they won't make it.

The issue of Grey is an interesting one: the proximity of B/W's release to the release of the 3DS means that they have two options now. Either they release the third version as a 3DS game, which would be the biggest change mid-generation we've ever seen, or they release it as a DS game - to, again, take advantage of the huge DS userbase - and wait until Gen VI for the 3DS switchover. Either would be an interesting move, and I couldn't predict what they could do. Normally, however, it is usually a while before a new Pokémon game comes out after a handheld's release.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Data: not necessarily biggest. Crystal technically was GBC exclusive while Gold/Silver could still run on the GB. Could totally be that they'll do the same for Grey. Although it'd probably just have extra 3DS features. As for anything else... Plausible too. As long as they have a way to milk this cash cow, they will. XD

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
StellarWind Elsydeon said:
Data: not necessarily biggest. Crystal technically was GBC exclusive while Gold/Silver could still run on the GB. Could totally be that they'll do the same for Grey. Although it'd probably just have extra 3DS features. As for anything else... Plausible too. As long as they have a way to milk this cash cow, they will. XD
Ah, of course. I thought it was the case, but wiki said that G/S were Game Boy Color games, and I forgot they were backwards compatible. I doubt they could do it again, though; 3DS cartridges don't fit in ye olde DSen. They might do Grey as a split game like the GBA/DS Mystery Dungeon games, though, a version for DS and a version for 3DS. As you say, it's a cash cow they'll milk any way they can.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Whatever is next, I have a pretty strong feeling that it won't be long before we find out. Nintendo's big 3DS reveal announcement on the 13th really does look like a new Pokemon title is the most likely candidate.

Personally, I think it's worth entertaining the possibility that the next main series game (whether that's what's next or not) could be the R/S remakes, not Grey. Just as much as it could be the other way around. Afterall, of the two generations to feature a remake and a third game, both have alternated in their positioning for them.

One thing that could support R/S Remakes being next up is the 3DS itself. If we assume that these games will be 3DS games, it's probable that these were in development during Black and White's development. We already know GameFreak have split their team before - Masuda's team were working on B/W during HG/SS's development, for instance. It's possible that once HG/SS wrapped, that team then went on to work on a game with the new 3DS hardware - something that they would doubtless have been introduced to at this point.

It's conceivable that the aim, then, was to learn their way around this new hardware by being able to work on a game where the development itself was the key focus - since much of the design work was already done about 10 years ago. It makes R/S remakes the perfect candidate for the first 3DS Pokemon.

There's also the speculation that Grey may be a bit like Crystal, and split the Generation between hardware - but doing that would involve, essentially remaking B/W. Now, maybe they've done that during their work on the DS B/W - which isn't impossible - but I think it's far more likely they'd have used a remake of an existing game to cut their teeth on the hardware.

It's also a possibility that Grey and/or the R/S remake could be 3DS 'enhanced' titles - where they have special features on the 3DS but can also play on the DS (and B/W are essentially DSi enhanced titles themselves, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility), but it'd be interesting to see if that could expand beyond simply providing a 3D effect.

As for spin-offs, Rumble Blast is more than enough for now. Another repetitive piece of tripe like Dungeon can be skipped altogether and a new Ranger game would probably be as under the radar as the last one. This series, and the 3DS, needs new blood in the way of a main series title.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Teapot said:
I doubt they could do it again, though; 3DS cartridges don't fit in ye olde DSen.

That's only 'cos they have a tag on them to prevent it. There's nothing to prevent them manufacturing new cartridges just for Pokemon - they did it for HG/SS.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
If I remember correctly, Nintendo said Grey would not be on the 3DS. So, if R/S remakes would be due to be released before Grey then there's a very high chance said remakes won't be on the 3DS either.

Honestly, it's the spinoffs I have my eye on this generation around, and not for a good reason to be honest. I can trust the main games to deliver every time they are released; the spinoffs...not so much. Hell, there hasn't been a single spin-off game that has been remotely appealing to me at all since Gen I. GEN ONE, and that was the TCG game on the Game Boy. Since then, the quality of the spinoffs has been poor at best; Mystery Dungeon is so bad the "games" can barely be considered such due to their non-existent gameplay, Ranger was consistently dull and uninteresting, Colosseum and XD were shit and mediocre respectively, PBR was a half-assed rushjob and everything else Gen III-onwards that hasn't been mentioned here isn't worth remembering anyway. Soooo...yeah, spin-offs that don't suck would be nice.

That said, given the graphical capabilities of the 3DS, it would be interesting to see a PBR/Stadium-esque game made for the handheld, or possibly having the main games use 3D graphics instead of sprites. Who knows?

Anyway, I'm predicting (and hoping) it'll be Pokemon Grey to come next.

King of Lucario said:
That said, given the graphical capabilities of the 3DS, it would be interesting to see a PBR/Stadium-esque game made for the handheld, or possibly having the main games use 3D graphics instead of sprites. Who knows?

Anyway, I'm predicting (and hoping) it'll be Pokemon Grey to come next.

I predict at least a new spin-off. They did confirm a new game to come out this fall for 3DS and DS, and in my opinion, Pokemon Rumble Blast was kind of the new Mystery Dungeon of sorts. So anyways, we have something new coming out this fall and we can hopefully look forward to it (probably not).

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
We're getting a spin off in the form of Pokemon Rumble so I very much doubt we'll see another for awhile (which can only be a good thing, Pokemon Rangers... >.>).

I'm hoping that the next game we get is Pokemon Grey but I also hope it's on 3DS now that I have mine and DS games look lame on the 3DS :/ (try playing Black or White on a DS Lite then go to the 3DS and you'll see what I mean), or at least hoping Nintendo can do something that will make it look decent on 3DS and therefor meaning they could release it to support the DS and keep the 3DS owners happy.

After Grey over having a spin off I'd like to see r/s remakes for the 3DS, although it'd probably be too soon and we'll end up with a spin off of some sorts. Just hopefully not another ranger one.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
King of Lucario said:
If I remember correctly, Nintendo said Grey would not be on the 3DS. So, if R/S remakes would be due to be released before Grey then there's a very high chance said remakes won't be on the 3DS either.

I don't know what you're remembering that from, since Nintendo (or GameFreak) have never commented on the possible Pokemon Grey or, indeed any other forthcoming Pokemon title at all.

The most we know is that there are plans for at least one DS game and one 3DS game to be announced before the end of this year - although it's also possible that they are in fact one and the same.

Its funny how now everyone is so open to the idea of R/S remakes. I think people are realizing that Hoenn is well...10 years old now. People are now starting to have nostalgia for it, and the kids that grew up playing Gen III first are now of age to want to play it again.

Its honestly hard to imagine to me, Gen III isn't considered "classic" but its amazing that its a decade old now. It pushed the franchise forward by introducing so many new ideas that became staples in all the following gens. Lastly, I will say most of the Hoenn pokemon themselves were quite awesome.

Hoenn also fits in well with Unova. Anyone remember how Hoenn was originally billed as a "far away land" with all new pokemon, and a complete fresh start for the franchise...almost the exact same thing Unova was?

Both Hoenn and Unova attempted to reboot the franchise while pushing it in a new direction...the links between Gen III and Gen V with all new pokemon are fairly obvious.

Hell, even the anime itself went through similar reboots at the start of Hoenn and Unova.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
precita said:
Hoenn also fits in well with Unova. Anyone remember how Hoenn was originally billed as a "far away land" with all new pokemon, and a complete fresh start for the franchise...almost the exact same thing Unova was?

Both Hoenn and Unova attempted to reboot the franchise while pushing it in a new direction...the links between Gen III and Gen V with all new pokemon are fairly obvious.

Hell, even the anime itself went through similar reboots at the start of Hoenn and Unova.

Well Hoenn kind of had to be a "fresh start, stand alone (ish) region". We had the introduction to this Universe with Kanto and then the second Gen which was really just a add-on for Kanto as it added some new Pokemon and mechanics and whatnot but still relied heavily on Kanto's preexisting ideas and locations.

With Hoenn they decided to essentially start anew, introducing more new Pokemon than they did in Gen II and making the region in-game completely separate from the previous two. By default that makes it "unique" and a "re-boot of the franchise". Really it's not, it was just Gamefreak realizing that they could extend the longevity of the franchise by not continually putting the players through the exact same places over and over and seeing the same people every game. Seeing as Sinnoh and Unova more or less did the same thing after Hoenn, it can't be heralded as some "ground-breaking idea". It was just them taking what worked for Kanto and applying it to a whole new region rather than making Kanto 3.0 (Kanto 2.0 being Johto, obviously).

Unova, on the other hand, I could agree with being a "reboot". It stands alone more than any of the other subsequent Gens (i.e.: No Pikachu or other classic Mons to be using as selling points). Generation V is the one where they threw us into something new and foreign (for the most part) and we got to explore with a wholly new cast of critters.

[/off topic]

As for what I want next, I'd want either Pokemon Gray or the R/S remake. After trying out a few of the spin-offs last Gen I don't plan on buying any of them ever again unless they release something new that looks truly amazing. I'll stick to the core games and be happy.

Alex's theory on R/S remakes being for the 3DS (and the teams working methods, which I had heard about too) sounds good and will hopefully be true. :x Plus maybe we'd get Pokemon following us again if that team works on it. >>;;

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sir Red said:
Seeing as Sinnoh and Unova more or less did the same thing after Hoenn, it can't be heralded as some "ground-breaking idea". It was just them taking what worked for Kanto and applying it to a whole new region rather than making Kanto 3.0 (Kanto 2.0 being Johto, obviously).

Unova, on the other hand, I could agree with being a "reboot". It stands alone more than any of the other subsequent Gens (i.e.: No Pikachu or other classic Mons to be using as selling points). Generation V is the one where they threw us into something new and foreign (for the most part) and we got to explore with a wholly new cast of critters.

Actually, Hoenn was much more separate than Sinnoh was. Sinnoh included various Pokemon from previous generations in their 'dex, while Hoenn didn't. Hoenn introduced tons of new Pokemon that served the same purposes as Pokemon from Generation I, and you couldn't get your hands on a HUGE amount Pokemon at all until Colosseum/FR/LG were released. Even B/W didn't restrict you that badly once you'd cleared certain conditions. There's a reason people bitched about R/S when they were released, and it wasn't just the Pokemon designs. :x

But moving on... If this was asking what I personally want next, it's to see R/S remakes that are exclusive to the 3DS. As much as people would complain, 3DS needs something of its own that will drag undecided fans into the next generation (and at $169.99, there's really no excuse anymore for players not to make the jump). As someone else has already stated, some DS games - including the Pokemon titles - look pretty ick on 3DS. If they're going to give us R/S remakes anytime soon I'd rather not have to use my DS Lite simply to play 'em properly.

However, what I think will actually happen is somewhat different. We've yet to see a 3D battler introduced for Gen V, so I suspect one must already be in the works for either the Wii or Wii U. It'd be nice if they launched Wii U with such a game, and considering how long B/W have already been out it wouldn't be that farfetched to see happen.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Nick Fury said:
King of Lucario said:

I don't know what you're remembering that from, since Nintendo (or GameFreak) have never commented on the possible Pokemon Grey or, indeed any other forthcoming Pokemon title at all.

Bulbanews, although considering the source...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
If it's this article you're referring to, it's pretty clearly nonsense. First of all, Ibe never mentions the 3DS, its inferred by Bulbanews themselves. What the article is really about is that there won't be a third version at all - which is pretty clearly a lie/a misunderstanding on Ibe's part of what the question was.

There are numerous indications in B/W that highlight an extremely high probability of both a third, Kyruem starring, version and Ruby/Sapphire remakes. After the indications in D/P that rightly led us to confirming HG/SS, it's safe to say that the future of the main series titles is laid pretty bare for all to see.

The only real question is when, in what order and on what platform the titles will be.

I think it's also safe to say that while a Wii U battle sim is almost certainly on the cards (and hopefully currently in active development), the fact that the Wii U is pretty much a full year or more away means it factually can not be what is 'next' for the series. There will unquestionably be DS/3DS games released within the next year - especially since we know there are impending announcements for both platforms in that regard. I think the chances of a main series title featuring within that are very high.

It might be worth noting that in 2003, in this same month - a little short of a year after Ruby and Sapphire's release, two new Pokemon titles were announced for an January 2004 release: Fire Red and Leaf Green.

The Pokemon franchise is a creature of habit and history has a way of repeating itself in these cases... I'll leave it at that until the 13th.

I think the only problem with R/S remakes is what will the graphics look like? Will the 3DS keep the same sprite look we've been looking at for a decade, or will the franchise be revived in full 3D?

The way I see it, Hoenn's landscape would really benefit from getting a full 3D world treatment. Fortree City, Sootopolis City, Dewford Island, the volcano, the underwater exploration....Hoenn had so many exotic locales that the GBA just couldn't do properly.

I also wonder if they're going to drop the Emerald story. Remember how Magma or Aqua befriended you kind of based on what version you were playing? Emerald made the story make much more sense, but if they're separate versions again I don't know how they can do it.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
precita said:
I think the only problem with R/S remakes is what will the graphics look like? Will the 3DS keep the same sprite look we've been looking at for a decade, or will the franchise be revived in full 3D?

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that they'd stick with the top-down view, but that everything would be a rendered 3D model.

As for battles... well, I don't know. Is it inconceivable for them to make a limited 3D battle system for it, using the models in the Pokedex app? No. Would they prefer being lazy and sticking to sprites - especially when they went to all that effort to make new sprites for the R/S Pokemon in B/W while the rest simply used their Platinum ones? Probably.

I honestly wouldn't imagine them making the next game a hugely different experience - even on the 3DS. A 3DS game in the same vein as B/W would, of course, benefit from the increased amount of power available and stuff would look and run a lot smoother.

What we could see is the rest of this Generation playing out across both the DS and 3DS in one way or another and acting as a small transitional step to a bigger change on the 3DS exclusive 6th Generation.

We kind of saw that with Gen IV and Gen V. Gen IV introduced a few new concepts to the series courtesy of the DS across its multiple titles, but it was baby steps stuff. Gen V pushed that a lot more and provides a pretty different game as a result (though, in perfect Pokemon style, it's also pretty much the same).

So, in a roundabout way, I'd expect to see something as radical as a full 3D world in the 6th Generation games, not these ones. May frustrate a lot of people, but I honestly wouldn't care so long as what we've got is improved in some way if it hits the 3DS. Removing the stuff in B/W put in by the limitations of the system would be very appreciated (like the gateways, etc).

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Nick Fury said:
I think it's also safe to say that while a Wii U battle sim is almost certainly on the cards (and hopefully currently in active development), the fact that the Wii U is pretty much a full year or more away means it factually can not be what is 'next' for the series.

I don't know what I was thinking. XD
For some silly reason I had in my mind "Wii U launch for next Spring" but obviously that's not happening. I guess they could be planning the next battle sim for the Wii, but I personally hope that doesn't happen.

I guess in that case, yeah. Most likely the next big announcement will be for the 3DS, hopefully not just another spinoff.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Nick Fury said:
If it's this article you're referring to, it's pretty clearly nonsense. First of all, Ibe never mentions the 3DS, its inferred by Bulbanews themselves. What the article is really about is that there won't be a third version at all - which is pretty clearly a lie/a misunderstanding on Ibe's part of what the question was.

It's definitely not that one, since the article in question suggested strongly that a third game would be made.

...although now you bring that up, I'm starting to wonder if I even saw it on Bulbanews at all. :S

I've probably said this already, but I'm already predicting a new RPG (Or whatever Coliseum and XD were) styled game for the Wii, considering they went ahead and made all of those 3d models, and that it might have a sequel for the WiiU. Just my thought on that. In my opinion, this game will bring focus to the fifth gen AND the fourth gen, much like Orre brought attention to both 3rd and 2nd gens. Why? Well, I think we can all agree that, other than Pokepark Wii, Gen. 4 was left behind in terms of adventure for the main consoles. I just hope they don't try to bring another snag'em snag'em scenario in, at I don't want them to be shadow pokemon. That got annoying.

But anyway.... I don't think its time for Grey yet. It just seems too soon for it, IMO. I'm not saying a remake would appear before it, as a matter of fact, I'll just say its WAAAAY too soon for that. Well, my reason for this being, and this sounds ridiculous, it just seems like we aren't at a point where gen 3 is needed yet. Just sayin'. But I also think that if I wanted a remake, I'd want one from Kanto, that way it can be a part of all 5 gens. However, we might get different story lines, considering that (and I'm sure Game Freak has said this before) Black and White are set years after HGSS/DPPt, which was set after FRLG/RSE.

However, should they choose to release a new Mystery Dungeon game (which wouldn't be a bad idea right now), I believe they will make it for the 3ds and it will have chibi pokemon again, much like the wii ware titles.

Hopefully we won't move into too much 3d, yet, as far as games go. Don't get me wrong, I would love it if they did, but that would also mean that spriters (like me) would have to learn a new trade :p Yes I know that is a ridiculous reason, but still, just an opinion.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Doubled said:
But anyway.... I don't think its time for Grey yet. It just seems too soon for it, IMO. I'm not saying a remake would appear before it, as a matter of fact, I'll just say its WAAAAY too soon for that.
It's never too soon to make more money. Especially with Pokémon. Also, see Alex's post a few posts above:

It might be worth noting that in 2003, in this same month - a little short of a year after Ruby and Sapphire's release, two new Pokemon titles were announced for an January 2004 release: Fire Red and Leaf Green.

My problem with Grey is what can they really add, besides yet another Battle Frontier? Also intentionally holding over the BF until the third version reeks of being greedy on their part. At least with Emerald it was a new idea at the time that wasn't thought of when R/S came out, but with DP they probably could have had the BF there instead of in Platinum. BW not having a Battle Frontier was laughable.

Lastly, if there are R/S remakes, what will become of the Contests? They just ditched them for the Musicals in BW, would they actually go back and bring back the Contests the way they were in R/S, or include the Super Contest stuff from the DP ones?

I honestly don't think GameFreak has any clue what to do with the Contests/Musicals/Pokeathlon. They should just have all 3 in one game.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
precita said:
BW not having a Battle Frontier was laughable.

B/W not having a Battle Frontier is a ploy to make you buy the third game. They did it before with D/P/Pt so this shouldn't surprise anyone.

Also, the Pokeathlon was the only remotely good minigame out of those three, simply because it was simple and mercifully quick, and you actually got useful stuff out of it (PP Ups.) The other two can burn in a fire.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
precita said:
Lastly, if there are R/S remakes, what will become of the Contests? They just ditched them for the Musicals in BW, would they actually go back and bring back the Contests the way they were in R/S, or include the Super Contest stuff from the DP ones?

I can't see why they wouldn't have some form of Contests just because B/W didn't. Each new generation of Pokemon games usually contains some sort unique feature, so who's to say contests were removed simply because "nobody liked them"? The decision to take them out might have been nothing more than a desire to try something fresh and new, yet still keep a contest-like feel.

Also, on the topic of what the third game in the B/W trio could do... A lot of things, really. Most notably they could add a brand new story that surrounds Kyurem or another Pokemon, and considering how deep the plot of B/W was I figure another Unova-based plot could be just as deep.

Linkachu said:
I can't see why they wouldn't have some form of Contests just because B/W didn't. Each new generation of Pokemon games usually contains some sort unique feature, so who's to say contests were removed simply because "nobody liked them"? The decision to take them out might have been nothing more than a desire to try something fresh and new, yet still keep a contest-like feel.

My point is they keep changing what they do with them:

R/S introduces Contests and have like 5 contest halls through Hoenn

FR/LG removes the Contests, even though they could have been included

Emerald makes only one Contest hall instead of 5

DP changes them into Super Contests

HGSS again removes them and replaced them with Pokeathlon

BW removes them again and brings in the Musicals

Why do they keep removing the Contests but then keep bringing them back? Does GameFreak even know what to do with them?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Does anyone care? They've never been of any real interest in the games. Abandoning them in BW was the smartest thing they could have done. It's a pity the Pokeathlon didn't carry over, but that can probably be attributed more to the parallel development of both HG/SS and B/W than a lack of interest in the feature.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it made a return this Generation.

Nick Fury said:
I wouldn't be too surprised if it made a return this Generation.

If there are R/S remakes I imagine they would have to bring them back. That's where they originated from after all. I honestly couldn't imagine a Hoenn remake without them.

I also don't understand why they can't have the Contests/Pokeathlon/Musicals all in the same game, just scattered around the region. The more sidequests the games have, the better.

Interesting how most of the discussion is focused on the main game possibility. To be honest, I do believe the third Gen V game will come out relatively quickly, but not this quickly. Black and White are still relatively new, and hot on the shelves in most of the world, and it will stay this way for a while longer. If Nintendo went out with the third game now, then remaining people that have yet to buy Black and White will decide to hold out until this game. This cash cow still has some milk left to be squeezed out. They won't be giving the mainstream cow new fodder for at least a year. I expect a teaser to come out this time next year most likely. However, Nintendo and Game Freak are a dynamic duo of cash milkers, so they have plenty of other cows to squeeze some money out of. In particular, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and the console battlers are starting to plumpen up now.

Mystery Dungeon hasn't had a handheld game for a while, and the Wiiware versions were a letdown. Yet there are ways Nintendo could easily come up with to draw people towards the dungeon-crawler spin-off. While the console game would also be likely, especially with the WiiU coming closer. Nintendo would probably realize what Revolution lacked and hopefully find ways to beat it, whether that means actually solving it or coming up with other features to keep people from noticing it is uncertain.

It's too soon for Pokemon Ranger, and we already had a new face to the handhelds through Pokemon Rumble Blast. If we have a new game announcement within four months, it's going to be one of these two.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Brendan Savem said:
Interesting how most of the discussion is focused on the main game possibility. To be honest, I do believe the third Gen V game will come out relatively quickly, but not this quickly. Black and White are still relatively new, and hot on the shelves in most of the world, and it will stay this way for a while longer. If Nintendo went out with the third game now, then remaining people that have yet to buy Black and White will decide to hold out until this game. This cash cow still has some milk left to be squeezed out. They won't be giving the mainstream cow new fodder for at least a year.

I don't care for the Ranger games, but I assume they probably will continue the series on the 3DS. The whole thing was born out of the stylus drawing circles after all.

Pokemon suffers from the same problem as all JRPG's....they're all essentially repetitive and the same thing. Pokemon gets away with it because the battle system is so addictive and people love the Pokemon themselves.

The franchise will probably continue its endless loop till we reach 1000 Pokemon (which we're pretty damn close to right now), before they might realize there's just too many Pokemon at some point. We actually might hit 1000 Pokemon in just another two and a half gens or something. Goodness.

Pokemon is pretty much the JRPG staple, it will never change and that is both a good and bad thing depending on how you look at it.

And that's why I never got either of those games in the end. There are exceptions, though it wouldn't be the best marketing move for Nintendo to make in my opinion.

In my opinion, I can easily see more spin-offs from the main game occurring the future, especially if they have bonuses easily sent to the main games, like in the Ranger series.

Personally, I hope Nintendo doesn't announce a new main line game anytime soon, as I don't have a 3DS. >_<

There's one thing I dislike about the Pokemon franchise.

How long the generations last.

It's not financially a good choice anymore, from what I can see Pokemon Black and White has been out for roughly a year in Japan and about 7 months here in America.The new generation has so many new Pokemon, but the thing is people will start wanting more sooner than later. Right now there has been no official announcement of Grey, and people are already craving an announcement or atleast something about it. Pokemon Black and White are getting boring. The only good Wi-fi add-ons to the game are C-gear skins, witch aren't even that great at all. Yes we just had Rumble Blast released but it's nothing new from a long-time fan's point of view. All I see it as is just a crumb of Gen 5's real potential. We want our RPG's! That's what Pokemon is known for! We can't just have a spin-off every 3 months to hold fans off. And 4 YEARS of the same Pokemon, and same games, and same game elements, blah blah blah. 2 and a half to 3 years is enough to get 3 or 4 good spin-off's out, a main game, and a remake. Not 4 years. That's almost 2 quarters of a decade. Not good to keep fans satisfied.

While I do think they shouldn't wait four years, it is, as other have said, about milking the cash cow for all its worth. Not only that, but games and stories are taking longer to make, especially the games, considering we aren't dealing with the same technology that the 3rd gens and below used anymore. Actually, I believe they are already beginning to brain storm on the 6th gen, as I think that's what they do so they can get more time, especially since they have only 4 years to make 100 something new pokemon, as well as 200 something new attacks, etc, etc.

Really, they need that much time to get things rolling, because they also have a story and characters to make, as well as getting a physical feel of what the regions are named, etc.

That's why they make the side games to keep the current generation feeling fresh. They should be announcing a lot of games soon, though :p