• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What would you do...?

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
You're a science teacher.

You set your kids a task: make up an imaginary animal and then write about how it's adapted to its habitat.

One kid hands in a drawing of a Charizard along with some stuff about it being a predator with muscular wings that can swoop down on prey and sharp claws to attack the prey.

Do you:
a) give him a low mark for blatently copying a Pokemon
b) tell him you know it's a Charizard
c) give him a reasonable mark despite the lack of imagination, because he has at least grasped the point behind the exercise?

As my partner said, it's science, not creative writing or art. The purpose isn't to teach the kids how to use their imagination so much as to teach them about adaptations of real animals.

But, I mean, it was a Pokemon! Traced straight out of a book! :roll:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hard to say... He did technically rip something else off, and in high school that wouldn't go over well at all ;)

Either way I think you should approach him and explain that you know what it is. The look on his face alone would be priceless. If you're going to mark him down it'd be best to explain why first; could you possibly let him redo the assignment?

Guess it all depends on your main objective, though. If the main goal really was to write about adaptivity then he technically did answer the question...

I'm torn ^^;

I would have to know what grade level the child is in.

If he's in elementary school, don't be too harsh on him - he probably doesn't know much better. If he's in middle or high school, mark down that mutha! But at least, like Raichu said, let him know why.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
For copying the Pokemon, i'd certainly not give them lower marks. Some people just don't have a capable enough imagination to come up with stuff like Stel or Ivee...

However, the points they made on how it adapts to it's surroundings is pretty much lazy.

If they're a kid, i wouldn't bother but anything older than Primary School and i'd certainly tell them to at least try again. ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor Oak said:
Some people just don't have a capable enough imagination to come up with stuff like Stel or Ivee...

You're giving them too much credit ;)

It's really not that hard to make something up, especially when you're younger. Things just seem to come more natural at that age... Besides, baratron didn't say the pictures had to be amazing, they just had to be creative (aka. mushroom creature with arms) ^^

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
...The most i've come up with in this form is Flossy... I leave it at that randomness sign of my lack of creativity... ^^

*whacks Elliot in the groin with a spiked metal pole* Don't ask.

Well, I think the kid was lazy. Come on, who CAN'T make up an 00ber-cool creature? I've made truckloads. Just check out Vinguana. :)

Heh, I remember a similar assignment from when I was a kid. All I did was take a Llama and give it rabbit ears.

Suprisingly I got top marks too, well that's what the grey mist either side of today tells me.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I made a fusion of a bear, a crocodile, a bird and a fish. It had bear arms and torso, a crocodile head, bird wings and bird feet. Oh, and gills. Don't forget the gills.

Oh, and Steph, hit me with that metal pole again and there'll be hell for you to pay.

*Teleports away from Steph*