• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What do you think of the Forums' New Look?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I'm narcissistic. Humour me. :D

Apologies to any and all that have been attempting to browse the board in the last couple of days. I know it's been messed up a bit, but you can blame phpBB for that. It turns out that to change the template properly you need to litterally hack the hell out of the many, many templates phpBB uses. All is well now though and it's all turned out even better than I had first envisaged.

Comments/Flames/Compliments?

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Ok :). Well, I LOVE the actual forums themselves - really nice choice of colours now, and easy to navigate. The one thing I don't like is the front page to the forums, that gives the forum list - specifically, I don't like the giant pixellated Pokeballs. They look kinda messy, especially when compared to the nice small icons everywhere else or the small Pokeballs next to threads. Maybe they could be replaced with another icon from the game that's bigger to start with (to avoid the need to fiddle excessively with smoothing)? But, y'know, I'll probably get used to it whatever happens :pikacute:.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, personally I think they look quite nice. *shrugs* Lol. We know you're anal about proportions anyway. :p

If others agree with Baratron, i'll change them to something elses.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Well, I agree with Baratron. The forums do look tons better, but I don't like the huge pokeballs either. Maybe you could replace them with a pokemon and its shiny form or something?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Mmmok, i'll consider changing them now. Though personally, I still maintain that I Like them. :p

Just to reiterate a point made on the main site, there's a few things messed up if you view the forum in IE. Really its your own fault for using such a crap browser, but meh.

To view the forums properly get Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org

If you moan about the layout because of problems caused by IE i'll disregard them. There's nothing that can be done about them, they're minimal and do not effect the overall layout or functions of the board. So meh.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Firefox Perfection

forum.jpg

IE butchery:

forums2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

baratron

Staff member
Trainer_Yoshimitsu said:
Maybe you could replace them with a pokemon and its shiny form or something?
Wooh. I like that idea :). But yeah, like I said before - I can probably live with whatever you decide.

I'm using Opera, and the forums look basically the same as your Firefox shot. Although my 800 x 600 display scrolls the bit at the top annoyingly. And I can't get a higher resolution monitor, because my laptop screen can't get any more pixels in it (hey, this was a top of the range laptop 5 years ago when we bought it... :roll:).

The giant pixelated Balls aren't doing to trick for me...but I guess everyone else has already said that. :lol:

I like the new forums. With Emerald out, we need more green around here, and the new design does the trick.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/Dente/oldnnew.bmp

Not perfect but meh yours if you want them Gary :p *flys away with boxers over his jeans*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Whee! Makeover! I love it! ^___^

About the PokeBalls... If so many people are bothered by them, probably best to change 'em, eh? :p Happy people make a happy forum ;)

Would shrinking the icons be enough? I don't have much of an eye for these things so I don't know what to suggest. Either way, I think the forum layout looks great. Hopefully I'll be around more after this next week to actually enjoy it ^^;

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
They used to be the same size as the ones featured in the forums themselves but it's just too small - those icons are there to catch your eye and they didn't do that at their normal size.

I like Damien's ones, i'll put them up if they do the trick for others.

baratron

Staff member
I like 'em - my problem was with the pixellatedness of the others, not the concept...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
450th Post - w007!

*ahem*

I'll probably put Damien's edited Pokeballs up sometime over the weekend. Sorry for any of those that have their eyes burnt out of their sockets during the wait by the extra pixel or two. :p

(And no, none of my 450 posts are... 'fudged'. Although I can do that by wandering into the database [Check out Blaziken's post count], I never bothered on my proper account. Still, I'd bet any money that Katie has way more....)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
You would bet right ;)

Pixelization does burn, so the new, smoother pics should be nice. I guess the Master Ball doesn't really matter, eh? Unless Damien was just to lazy to redo it too :p

Firefox Perfection

Exactly :-D

I think it's a bit green! It's good otherwise. I have one small complaint, and that is that the forum sections all have the same image on top!
tablebar.jpg

This should at least have text stating the general topic on it. Or, no text at all...it gets repetitive.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I was toying with the idea of the category title being in that. If anyone visited during the construction of the template you would have seen those tabs completely blank.

Unfortunately, to do that you can only put it as TEXT over the background image. And to set it up that way would have proved to be more of a pain than it currently is. Especially as that image HAS to be that size, i'd have to have SOMETHING to keep the table height that size to show it all and there's a possibility that a category name could 'break the boundaries' of the width of it.

In all, the most I could do was just leave it as is. I'm sorry to say that even if others backed you up in this, there's quite simply nothing I can do about this aspect. If I could have done it without complications - it would be there because it was my original intention. However, it just wont work.

It saying Pokecharms Forums is just to keep the identity of it. I doubt many would notice it enough after a while for it to even get repetitive, soon enough it'll be taken completely for granted and you'll forget it's even there.

And
I think it's a bit green!"
... :roll: What else would it be? It IS Pokecharms afterall. :p