• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

what do you consider in choosing your particular pokemon?

Choosing Pokemon is down to a list of types I have somewhere behind my desk. (Please note, this is not for Competitive Battling, this is for the main story). It doesn't matter what starter I have, it just changes the Pokemon i get later on. In my team I will always have a Fire, Water and Grass. If I get Blastoise, I may have a Ninetales, or Arcanine, and Victreebel, or Exeggutor. I also must have a Flying type, to learn Fly. I try not to get a Normal/Flying. The next space may go to either a Fighting, Rock or Electric, or even Ground type. Basically, whatever I think will help me overcome the common weaknesses of Fire, Water and Grass. The last space is given to something like a Miltank or Blissey, a nice, tough Healer, who can take a lot of hits and still deliver the smackdown on anyone who dare challenge the infinite might which is myself.

For me its evolution and moves. What's the point of strong pokes if their moves arn't good? Also, I kind of consider the types as well so I usually cover my pokemon's weaknesses well which is key to a good team.

Choosing my team? Okay! What I do first is pick out a handful of favorites I like that may or may not be easy to obtain. After that, I pick out a well balanced group out of the favorites (Fire water grass electric flying ground/psychic). Such as, my SS teams include each of those types.
My newest SS team is as follows:
Vibrava (Ground)
Dodrio (flying)
Parasect (grass)
Typhlosion (fire)
Raichu (electric)
Seadra. (water)

I choose Pokémon based on how I feel. If I´m happy I try and catch a happy and cute pokémon. If I'm sad I try to catch and train like a Golbat or something.
Also, dual types is my favourites. And I have some favourite Pokémon that I actaully never have trained (like Arcanine, Marowak, Shuppet, Lapras, Sneasel etc.)

Hello, I'm new to Pokecharms. Nice to meet all of you.
What I look for in a pokemon is how unique and uncommon it is. I prefer pokemon with a more offensive nature, depending a bit more on Attack and Sp. Attack than taking more of a defensive strategy. I usually prefer to end it quickly rather than draw it out and waste alot of pp on one particular pokemon. Also I enjoy finding true rarities, like shiny pokemon or pokemon you have to work hard to attain.

If you asked this to me last year, I would say "if it can hit hard, hit fast, and have cool appearance, then it's in my team", but now I choose pokemon based on their movesets, so that I can use they in their max potential. For example, I remember that my strongest pokémon once was my Darkrai, and anytime I used him I would win in three turns:

First Turn: Darkrai speed alowed it to attack first, so I used Dark Void, and put my opponents to sleep. During the end of the turn, my opponent's pokémon HP would decrease a little by Darkrai ability Bad Dreams.
Second Turn: Use Nightmare with Darkrai, and during the end of this turn my opponent would lose a little HP by Darkrai's ability, a would lose more HP by Nightmare
Third Turn: Use Dream Eater in my opponent, and would won at this move. Even if I couldn't defeat my opponent, by for example Dream Eater missing, Nightmare and Bad Dreams would cause my opponent to faint in the end anyway.

This is just one of the few strategies I came up with, but I know it's not a genius thing and could easily be surpassed by many things, like for example a pokémon with Insomnia. Sadly, I never got the chance to use it agains't somebody else, instead using it only agains't wild pokemon and trainers around the game.

See, I used to be the person that would say, "If it's cool looking, has good moves and is among the Pokemon other people have, then I want it..." and so on. However, I've come to learn more important things like stats, Nature, Typings and such.

Heh, and you might THINK that's how I pick my team. Well, it isn't. It's really for two reasons: The way they look, and their individual typings. Take, for example, my...Platinum team. All teams should be diverse in typings so you can take out a wide range of Pokemon. Remember your Rival Champion in LG/FR? He mentioned...yeah, you get it.

Anyway, the team I chose is:

Torterra-(I liek Turtles X3...Ground + Grass=Advantages over Rock, Fire, Water, Ground, Poison, Steel and Electric)
Luxray-(Luxray is one of my favorite Pokemon...Electric=Advantages over Water and Flying)
Staraptor-(Kickarse bird with a horn-feather-thing...Flying + Normal=Advantages over Fighting and Bug)
Garchomp (BECAUSE I WANTED A GIBLE >_<)-(Dragon + Ground=Advantages over Dragon, Rock, Electric, Steel, Poison and Fire_
Medicham-(Big legs :3...Fightning + Psychic=Advantages over Dark, Steel, Rock, Poison and Ice)
Floatzel-(Floatzel is just an epic Pokemon and one of my fav water types...Water=Advantages over Fire, Rock and Ground)

I try to go for Dual types, for an obvious reason...I see 13 different type coverages there :p

I usually pick my mons based on their looks. I just can't stand training pokemon that look awful. Poor performance in battle does not bode well either, however, but I let that stuff slide more if the pokemon looks cooler. I usually try to get the best I can out of my pokemon and i usually find a way to make them extremely useful that can be used successfully in standard metagame (sunny day eruption scarfed typhlosion).

Hmm... I have stuck with the same favorite since I was nearly 5 years old, I am 14 now.

I have always like Pidgeot for some reason. Then staraptor came around and that became my 2nd favorite. I actually like mamepato a bit.

I guess I am a flying type/bird lover and I don't really care about power or skill. I care about strategy.