• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Welcome to the World of Pokémon!: Kanto

Zander couldnt help crack a grin at the sight of a Geodude entering the field. Brock was a simple man for certain, keeping to a relatively linear strategy throughout most of his challenges. Zander was new to gym battles, but he wasnt a novice by any means. He'd done his fair share of research on the various gyms, there teams, and there battle styles. This is exactly what he'd expected to occur.

"Lets see what he thinks of this....lets go, Minus!" The young trainer called out, sending a pokeball flying into the middle of the arena. As the red light from the orb faded from the room, a small sparking Magnemite was visible, hovering a few feet away from Geodude. Obvious type advantage aside, Zander felt confident in strategy.

"Ill be taking the first attack I assume. Minus, Supersonic!" He called out, Minus responding via releasing a wave of hazy yellow energy rings aimed directly for Brock's Geodude.

Chia's Ancient Power connected with Onix's slender body, leaving it unfazed. Jakobi gulped at how effortlessly it took the attack as if Onix couldn't feel anything at all. All of a sudden, Chia hopped into the sandstorm and let out a cute and yet, pugnacious cry directed right towards Onix. It seemed that launching the mystical rocks somehow provided Chia with a newfound endurance and speed to traverse the sandstorm, as it was now running straight towards Onix, without any commands from Jakobi. Clearly surprised by this sudden charge, Jakobi remained speechless but somewhat assured that Chia had something in mind.

Brock's expression, while still focused intensly on the battle, now showed that he was impressed by the interesting choice that Jakobi had made. "I suppose you can now see why I am so moved and inspired to train by the rock type. Ancient Power is a rock type attack that can raise the power, speed, and defense of your pokemon. Although, its a bit unorthodox to see a Chikorita use it. You really are giving me a unique challenge. And lucky for you, I'll do just the same! Onix, use Rock Tomb!" As Chia got ever so close to Onix, the snake launched four boulders with such precision so effortlessly as if it had used the move a million times. The projectile's trajectory was more vertically launched then it was simply thrown horizontally, so it appeared as if the rocks just fell onto Chia. The blunt force of the rocks hit Chia for major damage, and Chia was almost stuck in between the four boulders, squirming to get out.

Jakobi felt a fire deep inside of him as he saw his pokemon persist despite being hit hard. Chia stood tall (As much as it could, anyway) and looked back at Jakobi as if to say "You can count on me!" Jakobi smiled fiercely and shouted, "Razor Leaf!" Chia began to wind its head back as if to gain more momentum when releasing sharp blades of leads from the top of her head, but she got interrupted before she could execute the attack. "Quickly, use Bind!" Onix rushed towards Chia and suddenly enveloped her in its grasp by coiling up with her caught in the center, squeezing the poor Chikorita in the process. Chia tried to fire a couple of leaves at Onix but missed as it swayed its head to dodge the attack. Brock looked at Jakobi again and began to give his input, "Surprised? Rock Tomb is a move that can lower the speed of your pokemon! The inability to strike before you're ultimately left unable to win. Yet again, the true terror of the Rock types."

Jakobi remained particularly still just as hopeful as he was before. All that mattered was that he gave the battle his best shot. Nevertheless, winning would be amazing, so Jakobi yelled almost too passionately, "Razor Leaf once more, Chia! I believe in you!" And with this, Chia began to stare Onix right in the eyes and clenched her teeth to deal with the pain of being caught in its bind. Chia, after taking so much damage, began to disperse a green aromatic mist from her body while the leaf on her head appeared to grow larger in size. "What the heck!? I've never seen this before.." Jakobi thought. Chia shot out a singular, large leaf towards Onix followed with a flurry of many more with the same size and sharpness. Onix Moved its head to avoid the first one, but was ultimately met with all of the other razor-like leaves right to the face.

With such a powerful attack that Onix was severely weak to, it released Chia from its grasp and collapsed to the ground, clearly unable to battle further. Jakobi stood there flabbergasted, unable to say any words. His first gym battle, a victory! Brock smiled as he withdrew Onix, "You did great, buddy!" Brock walked towards Jakobi and handed him a shiny badge before giving his closing monologue. "As league rules state, it is with great honor that I present to you the Boulder badge! I'm impressed by the surprises you showed me in this battle, I definitely see potential in you as a trainer even in addition to you being a breeder. Honestly, I'd love to go over the battle and critically analyze which choices were better and worse than others, but I have other challengers awaiting me. But here." He took Jakobi's pokegear and registered his number, "Whether as a trainer or breeder, or maybe if you need my help, don't be afraid to call and ask questions. Just, not too frequently though. I have mandatory duties to attend." Brock happily said before Jakobi left the gym, who was still partially speechless.

Once out of the gym, Jakobi heaved a huge sigh of relief. His pokemon healed and gym battle won, he could maybe catch a temporary break.
On his brisk walk back to the Pokémon center, Jakobi began to notice everyone's distressed look on their faces, as if they were worried about something around town. Upon entering the building, Jakobi spotted an officer was at the front desk and talking urgently towards the nurse. "Great." Jakobi thought to himself in a sarcastic matter. "Nothing like another crime to spice up a nice day." He then saw that Alex was on his way out and was relieved to find a familiar face yet again. "Hey Alex! What's up with the officer, Team Rocket didn't strike again, did they?" Jakobi asked curiously, hoping that the answer would be no.

Ditching the ambulance and hot-wiring a farm pickup truck at near-desk went without a hitch. The longest part was not the transfer of body bags, but Tracer's double-check for any hairs or other evidence of agent tampering. When he was satisfied, the group drove back into Pewter, keeping mostly to back roads. As they went, Tracer talked, bearing in mind that he may not see the other agents again for a while. Such was the nature of their work: unpredictable.

"Ruscit here has a mostly direct style from what I've observed," he informed Agent White. "By contrast, I prefer to linger in the background and strike suddenly. As for you, well, I guess I'll see for myself in time. However it goes, in the end we are a team."

He flexed his right hand, making a claw, and narrowed his eyes at the road ahead. "D'you know why I have no sympathy for these greenhorn trainers? It's because they're self-deluded narcissists. Every last one of them wants to be better than all the others, each thinking himself somehow different than the other dime-a-dozen nobodies. They train teams of animals, yet ironically, none of them opt to work together. That is why history forgets their names, but Team Rocket's continues to be remembered."

He bore his teeth in what might have passed as a sickly smile. "I. Love. What I do. I'm part of something larger than myself, and in its name, I get to wake these romantic dreamers right the hell up. They look down on us in their self-absorbed pride- for now. Oh, but we'll see who ends up with the strongest pokemon, and who ends up with nothing. In time, we will see!"

Tracer glanced back at the other two Agents. "Anyway, we're close to Pewter HQ. I know Ruscit needs to get these fossils to the right hands, and then I gotta ditch this hick wagon somewhere discreet. White, d'you want me to drop you off somewhere around here? I was planning on scoping out the gym at some point in another guise . . ."

Walt considered Tracer's suggestion and replied:
"Sounds good. Just drop me off around HQ entrance."
Walt's transmitter suddenly buzzed and Walt took it out, awaiting the call. Proton's face appeared on the screen, looking business like as usual. The executive started in a serious voice:
"Greetings, Agent Ruscit. I see you have company. Have you retrieved the fossils yet?
"Yes. They will be secured at HQ soon."
"Good. Hurry up with that, will you? Commander Archer has instructed me to provide details of your next mission, as he is busy right now. Listen closely. We have gotten news from our spies that Team Snagem is plotting to blackmail and utilize many powerful trainers from around the world to fulfill their plans. Their next target will appear at Mt. Moon soon. We don't know the exact date, so please arrive there as quickly as possible. Your job will be to let Team Snagem and this trainer fight it out, then when they have no more energy to battle, you will capture the Pokemon involved. It is imperative that we don't let Snagem have too much power, so Petrel will be assisting you in this operation. All of you, understood?"

Brock nodded slowly in an impressed manner. His challenger certainly had an air of confidence, especially being that he seemed to have a solid grasp on type matchups, that many new Trainers did not. He enjoyed facing capable battlers, as it was easy to grow tired of the same beginner mistakes.

"Minus, Supersonic!"

Zander's Magnemite released electromagnetic rings from its eye that expanded outward as they surrounded Geodude. The Rock type immediately began to teeter about in the air and its eyes became glassy as it lost focus on its opponent.

Smart move, Brock thought. He's not just relying on pure strength to win, but is acting tactfully. Because the Pewter Gym was often the first one new Trainers faced, many simply relied on the brute force of their Pokémon's attacks to defeat him, being unversed in strategy.

"Geodude, Rock Throw," he called, raising an open palm towards the battlefield. Geodude slammed its fists on the ground, causing various small boulders to rise into the air. It began to telepathically hurl these rocks wildly about, unable to target Minus due to its confusion.

- - -

"We aren't sure," Alex admitted to Jakobi with a shrug. "Apparently there was a break-in at the museum. No suspects have been found yet, but this has Team Rocket written all over it." He motioned with his head towards the hysterical museum curator who was sitting in the Pokémon Center's small food court sipping on a glass of water and dabbing his sweaty forehead with a handkerchief.

"Tux and I were going to head to the Gym, but I think we're gonna check it out on our way," he said, pulling the straps his backpack onto his shoulders. "Feel free to join."

Alex exited the Pokémon Center and made his way towards the museum, following the plume of smoke from the explosion that he could vaguely see rising against the daytime sky. He was surprised at how quickly the Viridian police were able to block off the crime scene.

"Sorry, son, we're still investigating," said an officer standing behind one of the wooden barricades. "You can get your fix of science once the museum reopens."

Alex sighed. It looked like he wouldn't be able to take a look around after all.

"Pardon me," he said. "But what was stolen?"

The officer pulled out a small notebook from his back pocket. He flipped through his notes. "So far, the fossils of the ancient Pokémon that were housed here," he read. "The detectives are still taking inventory."

Alex nodded and thanked him. What could Team Rocket want with fossils?

- - -

Team. Abby nearly smiled at the word, but elected to retain her stony-faced guise. She had never been part of a such an important group before and the prospect of belonging excited her. She wanted to impress her allies with her solemnity before they could change their minds.

"Hm." Abby nodded, genuinely admiring Tracer's seemingly well thought-out opinion. "I guess I never thought about that way." The idea of a Pokémon journey had always intrigued her, but with no home to return to in case she failed, it simply wasn't in the cards.

He's right, most of those Trainers are living a pipe dream, she thought. She felt content with this conjecture as it spared her from any cognitive dissonance. Going on a journey would really be pointless.

"As for me, I'll be going to the HQ too," she replied to Tracer.

She glanced over Walt's shoulder at the screen of his transmitter and his video call with Executive Proton. She had never seen him before and it was interesting to put a name to a face. She tried to stay out of view of the device's camera, in fear of appearing overly eager.

"Yes," she said at Proton's request. Yes? She pinched herself. Even a "yes, sir" would have been better.

Last edited:
Minus' floating figure danced from side to side as to evade Geodude's clumsy onslaught. Thankfully, Super Sonic had taken effect, severely decreasing the already slower Pokemon's accuracy.

"Alright, keep your guard up, Minus. Counter with Sonic Boom, back to back!" The young challenger ordered, taking note of the random debris flying rather close to both he and Brock's location due to the rock Pokemons reckless attack.

"Gotta admit, his expression is pretty stone cold.....no pun intended." Zander thought to himself with a small smirk, looking on as Minus switched from firing rings of radiating energy to firing waves of warping sound at his opponent. The blasts were violent, sporadic, and somewhat random, crumbling the ground around Geodude to restrict its movement, whilst also attempting to put it on the defensive.

"Nothing like being dazed and confused, then suffering from sensory overload, huh?" He mumbled under his breath, curious as to how Brock and Geodude would respond to Zander's fast and harsh methods.

Jakobi accompanied Alex towards the Museum, safety in numbers was a good reminder for Jakobi to maintain and besides, he thought that Alex was a pretty cool guy. He flanked behind his shoulder when listening to the policeman elaborating on the specifics of the attack. If anything were to be more unsettling than the visual representation of a terrorist attack, as shown by the remains of the damaged side of the building, it would be the lingering threat that something like it could happen again. What was also unnerving to Jakobi was the motive behind said attack. "Fossils? I'd assume that Rocket would love to obtain rare items to make profits on, but aren't they capable of just creating phony fossils to sell? I mean why go though the trouble of stealing from a museum when you could just cheat people? It's not like they'd be able to put them to any other use, right?" Jakobi spoke analytically with a hint of worry in his tone.

He was soon caught off guard by a repetitive digital beeping noise inside his large backpack. Jakobi's worry instantly dissipated as a smile almost immediately sprung on his face. He dove his hands into the bag and brought out an egg incubator, the said source of the beeps. He pressed a button to quell the noise and stared inside the cylindrical container: There was no doubt about it, the egg was shaking and moving inside, it wasn't bouncing but it shook enough to be apparent with careful focus. "Yes!" Jakobi exclaimed out loud, "Thank you Flame Body! My eggs about to hatch!" He turned to Alex with an enthusiastic look and began to passionately elaborate, "In the next 48 hours, I'll be greeted to a new pokemon! I'm so excited, its most definitely due to My Larvesta's ability. I don't know when exactly this baby will hatch, but I'm looking forward to it!"

Jakobi calmed down and put the Incubator back into his bag. He didn't really have anymore plans today besides waiting for his egg to hatch so he began to inquire about what Alex was going to do. "So, are you going to challenge the gym? It's not too far from here and with Tux by your side, you're at a huge advantage. If you decide to go, I'll probably tag along and cheer you on!"

Gastly raised his dark eyebrows as Proton hung up. "He actually said 'please,'" he marveled, as Proton parked the farm truck in a used cars lot. "Proton never practices etiquette. This is even bigger than I thought."

"Let's be rid of these fossils inside, and perhaps we'll be able to acquire some gear that's more fitting for this endeavor." Tracer grinned, a rare, truly happy grin. "Man, I'm legitimately excited. We're actually going to be working with my patron sinner." His smile turned to wicked glee. "It's about time the higher-ups got us off this petty crook nonsense. Leave that duty to the grunts."

Tracer wasn't smiling when he arrived at the Requisitions Counter. Sitting on the other side, with his feet lodged in his stool, and his nose firmly lodged in a little red book, was one of the countless, indistinguishable grunts whom everyone thought of when they visualized Team Rocket. They were both the face and the backbone of the Team, and Tracer was almost positive that they were all formerly dropout trainers that Giovanni had re-educated through use of intensive Drowzee hypnotics. They looked the same, talked the same, and seemed to share a hive mind at the functional level of a ten-year-old. The grunts epitomized and vindicated everything Tracer hated about independent pokemon trainers, and he tolerated them only because they were honest about their need to work in a mob to feel strong. Each had a name, but Tracer addressed them only by their designated numbers. He cleared his throat noisily, and rapped his knuckles on the counter. The grunt looked up, and Tracer glanced briefly at the number sewn into his right-hand glove.

"168. I've been recruited for a mission that will take place imminently. In case that's too big a word for you, it means s#%@'s about to go down any moment, and I need supplies NOW."

The grunt looked at him with squinted eyes. "Uh, okay, uh . . . what do you need?"

"A catalogue, for starters. And YOU should be at the computer right about now, putting down my ID for the requisition order. I am Agent Tracer, 009147, and there are at least two more agents in the building who may want something from stocks before long."

168 indicated to a short stack of papers, and Tracer whisked one off the table and leafed through it. He muttered as he read the various black-market items available. "Let's see here . . . standard pokeball vacuum-pack, jumbo pokeball vacuum-pack, Poltergust 5000 vacuum-pack . . . what the hell-? Glue-shooting gun, net launcher, shock-proof net launcher, fireproof net launcher . . . what about in the way of vehicles? Koffing-themed air balloon - oh, yeah, that sounds practical. Elliptical Magikarp submersible - really? A black van with a giant red 'R' printed on the side?"

Tracer looked up, his eyes wide with profound disbelief. "What kind of juvenile crack-baby came up with this stuff?" he all but shouted. "Half of this crap sounds like it came from someone's cartoon fantasies! Is this the discount catalogue or something?"

The grunt's face whitened slightly at Tracer's affronted indignation. "Uh, sorry, uh, that actually is the discount catalogue." He shrugged apologetically. "We're mostly grunts down here."

"Well, thank God that the revenue I'm pulling in for the Team is going to the funding of toys like this!" Tracer crumpled the catalogue in his fist and flung it over his shoulder, where Haunter promptly faded into view and ate it. Tracer pointed insistently at 168's computer monitor. "Now find me some big boy stuff that I can actually use! No more wasting my time!"

Geodude threw its arms up in front of its face in an 'X' formation. Its hands were large enough to cover nearly its entire body as it attempted to soften the blow of whatever move was coming next, the rocky ground crumbling around it.

Geodude isn't going to be able to do anything against that Magnemite, especially with only Rock and Normal moves at its disposal, Brock mused. He brought a finger to his chin as he thought and silently fingered the Poké Balls on his belt, knowing that his Pokémon could hold its own for just a few moments.

"Return, Geodude," he said finally, holding an empty Ball towards the battlefield. Geodude was relieved of the Sonicboom onslaught as it was retrieved.

Let's try something different, he thought pulling a Poké Ball off of his belt. While the average Trainer might expect him to use Onix, being that it was his strongest team member and commonly associated with the Pewter Gym in most Pokémon League marketing materials, he had a surprise up his metaphorical sleeve. (He hardly ever wore sleeves.)

"Rhyhorn, let's do this!" Brock called, releasing the rhinoceros Pokémon onto the battlefield.

Rhyhorn let out a low growl as it pawed aggressively at the ground, having targeted Minus and preparing to charge.

"Dig!" Brock commanded. Using its front claws and the horn on its snout, Rhyhorn began to burrow deep into the ground underneath it.

- - -

"That's awesome," Alex said, nearly instantly forgetting his barrier from entrance into the museum. "I've never seen a Pokémon hatch before. Come to think of it, I don't even think I've ever seen a Pokémon egg before..." A confused look crossed his face as he tried to conjure up a memory of a Daycare visit as a child. He shrugged when this proved to be futile.

"I was thinking about it," he replied to Jakobi. "Tux and I have never really had a real battle before if you don't count that Team Rocket business in the forest. I feel like it would be fun to at least... y'know, try." He faked a smile, but his nervousness showed through. "I guess we should head there now before there are too many challengers waiting."

"Pip," Tux agreed.

Alex began to follow the path from the museum to the Gym.

- - -

Abby was surprised at the conditions that were allowed to persist at the Requisitions Counter without intervening by the Rocket executives. She had always felt a certain fear towards the directorate of Team Rocket, but perhaps it was all a front to make the ordinary members easier to control.

Her eyes widened as Tracer flew off the handle while he leafed through the catalogue, and she had to stifle a giggle. It was incredible how a man who only a few minutes ago had seemed to be the most competent evildoer in Kanto could now appear to be nothing more than a fussy child.

"What's his deal?" Abby said quietly, leaning across the counter to speak closer to 168's ear. "Is he your boss or something?

168 looked up stupidly at Abby and replied dimly
"Uh....I think Giovanni's the boss....Mister Tracer here is a higher rank than me, so I have to obey him."
168 poked and prodded at his keyboard, trying to find something that would satisfy the agent. At last, he grunted in satisfaction and turned his monitor to Tracer.
The screen displayed a much more high-tech and updated catalogue of items. It read in striking red letters, AGENT CATALOGUE. There was a surplus of sinister-looking devices, including:
The Shock Cage (When the unsuspecting victim steps on a pressure plate, an electrified cage appears around them, trapping them)
Ultra Net Launcher (Now EVERYTHING proof!)
Tox Grenade (A smoke grenade that releases toxic fumes. It is highly recommended that you put on a gas mask before using)
Atomic Pineco Bomb (Use only as a last resort)

Meanwhile, Walt had just finished hauling (and dragging) the giant Kabutops to the transport room. He grumbled in annoyance as he massaged his aching arm.
"Damn....why the $%^# did that Kabutops weigh so much!!? And why does the organization need all those rocks, anyways?"
"I'll tell you why...heh heh heh"
Walt jerked around in surprise to see an odd looking man with purple hair grinning at him.

"Petrel's the name. I take it you're one of the agents that's going to help me at Mt. Moon. Well, the fossils are currently being transported to Celadon HQ, where mister I'm such a smartass Proton is going to use the restoration machine that we stole a while back to revive these dead Pokemon. Then, he's going to genetically modify them to be the ultimate fighting force. You see, normally, every Pokemon is assigned up to 31 random Individual Values, or IVs, in each of its core traits at birth. With our technology, Proton will be able to double the amount of IVs in these resurrected fossils, making them potentially strong enough to take on even the likes of battle-hardened gym leaders like Blue! Isn't it brilliant?! Now then, let's catch up with the others and fill them in!"

Zander arched an eyebrow at the sight of a Ryhorn appearing before him. This definitely wasnt what he had been expecting, and put a small damper on his original plans. An unexpected switch up like this should have worried the boy, but in truth, it excited him.

"So....looks like he's decided to switch things up for this match...suppose I should be honored."
Zander's grin only widened as Brock ordered Ryhorn to burrow beneath the earth around him. This certainly would be one hell of a first gym battle.

"We're gonna play like that huh? Alright fine! Return, Minus." He announced, recalling Magnemite with one hand whilst sliding another pokeball out with his other hand.

"Your turn, Leo. Time for action!" With that, he tossed the ball onto the field, releasing his second pokemon into battle. A small Poliwag stood firm with a look of determination, awaiting orders from his trainer.

"Leo, lets get a continuous Water Gun going aimed directly in that hole!" The shaggy haired boy ordered.
Leo acted quickly, jumping above the hole Ryhorn had dug before releasing a steady stream of pressurized water right on the mark. Thanks to the crumbled ground Minus had created, Leo's Water Gun began seeping into the cracks of the rocky arena floor. Packed dirt began turning into heavy mud that slowly collapsed the hole Ryhorn had dug, hopefully trapping the rock pokemon in a watery grave, figuratively...and somewhat literally.

Devon was about to tell Alex that he was going to join in on challenging the Gym, although he could only mutter out a few mumbled words before the doors of the pokemon centre flug open and the highly distressed museum curator dashed inside asking for Nurse Joy. Surprised, Spring hopped up onto Devon’s lap and stared at the man out of fear and confusion; no-one knew why he was there or what he was shouting about, but it was easy for anyone to conclude that he was upset about something. When the man explained what had happened, a wave of emotion washed over the alolan boy. Notably, fear and Anger became a part of his mindset, as evidenced by a change in his body language and facial expression. The man spoke rather loudly, loud enough that certainly Devon and Alex could hear what had happened with Team Rocket and the museum. His attention shifted for a few moments to the other people inside the pokemon centre; if team rocket were about and active in the city, any of the other trainers could just be criminals in disguise.

While Nurse Joy and the other man video-called the Officer Jenny from the next town over, Devon stroked his Deerling and thought hard about what he would do. Investigating was scary and ran the risk of something going wrong, but at the same time sitting around would just leave Devon feeling guilty that he hadn’t done anything to help in the wake of the crime. He pushed Spring off of his lap, but only so that he could bend down to look her in the eyes and speak to her. Sighing, Devin asked his pokemon for advice. “What...shall we do? I don’t want to risk losing you if anyone’s still around, and I don’t know if we’d even be strong enough to fight….” He said quietly so as not to let Alex in on the fact that he was doubtful about the investigation. “Think you'd be able to handle a fight?” He asked, scratching Spring on her chin. The Pokémon pulled away from the boy's touch and then hopped down onto the floor. She shot him a look, but her eyes narrowed into an expression that made her look angry or determined. “I’’’Guess you do want to go, huh?” He said, shooting her a smile.

Devon stood up, and looked to Alex who had presumably had the same idea as he; to investigate. “We should. Be on guard, though.” He replied, making sure that the other trainer would be aware of the risk that came with investigating. At the same time, another young boy who Devon remembered from the earlier scuffle in the forest walked into the pokemon centre. From the looks of it, he had already beaten the Gym - something that Devon was a little envious of considering he wanted to fight in the gym himself. He too slid his bag onto his back, but only after taking Subzero’s pokeball out of the front pocket and placing it into the pocket of his pants as well a potion just incase. Eventually, the trainers reached what was left of the museum, but unfortunately the whole place had been blocked off by the police and other strong trainers from the town who looked to protect the public. This ultimately meant that there wasn’t a lot the three boys could learn about the burglary, aside from whet the police told them. Still, even that wasn’t a lot to go on -- Team Rocket had taken fossils, but nobody knew why.

Jakobi mentioned that one of his eggs would be hatching soon, which surprised Devon a little. “I’ve never seen an egg hatch either!” Devon said excitedly. The two went on to talk about the gym challenge,and it became clear to Devon that he might have to wait a little before challenging the gym. This wasn’t because he felt like he was too weak to do so, but because a ton of new trainers seemed to want to challenge the gym at the same time. Just his luck. Devon had to think hard about whether or not he actually wanted to wait for until he could fight Brock or whether he just wanted to train until he had reached the next town over. He became quiet as the kids backtracked from the gym and couldn’t keep his mind off of the thought that maybe he would just have to wait until Cerulean. The gyms didn’t have to be fought in any order and the boy wasn’t exactly aiming to be champion. He just wanted money, and having a few badges showed the other trainers that he was powerful; If he could just beat a few of them, then he would be able to battle even stronger opponents and maybe even take on quests for people in order to get a reward.

“Cerulean---that’s the next town, right? ” Devon began, speaking from his position at the back of the trio of trainers. “I’m going to wait until Cerulean to challenge my first gym. I’m not going to be able to become champion ever, and I really don’t want to have to wait in-line here. While you challenge the gym I’m going to get some extra training in with my pokemon if that’s ok. Good luck with the battle, Alex, but I’m going to have to skip watching it for this time…” Devon explained, sighing after he spoke. He waved off the other boys, and began walking in the opposite direction to them. He knew he would meet up with them again at some point, but for now they had to part ways while Devon trained and the other boys took on the Pewter City Gym. The Alolan teen made his way back to the pokemon center, but not to sleep or to heal up; he wanted a battle. All pokemon centres came with arenas built on the ground next to them, so Devon knew that waiting at one would bring a challenger…

Cam strolled up to the Pewter Museum only to find that it had been barricaded to the public. Great, just my luck, he thought as he gazed upon the massive building where he had hoped to learn more about fossils. Cameron had taken a small boat from his home on Cinnabar Island to Pallet Town as the two were directly connected by water. He had then done his best to travel around Viridian Forest, due to his crippling fear of bug-types, and into Pewter City.

Although he tried to avoid the forest surrounding Pewter, Cam had still encountered quite a few wild Pokemon on his trip and his Pokemon had taken a beating. I might as well get these guys to a Pokemon Center while I'm here, he thought as he turned his back on the museum and searched for the red-roofed building where he could heal his team.

As he wandered the streets of the city in search of a Pokemon Center, various smells from cafes and restaurants that lined the streets began to waft into his nose. He began to walk more briskly because he knew that if Ted, his Munchlax, got a whiff of any food whatsoever it would inevitably break out of its Pokeball and storm towards one of the eateries. Finally, about a block away, he spied the telltale red roof of the sanctuary for any travelers needing to rest.

Cameron pushed open the glass doors of the center and walked inside where he went directly up to the counter. He spoke to Nurse Joy who cheerfully agreed to heal his team and he decided to rest on one of the Pokemon Center's cushy couches while he waited.

As the water seeped into the cracks in the ground, the dirt around Rhyhorn began to transform into a slow-moving sludge, creating a suffocating muddy prison. It charged forward, digging furiously with its claws and horn, and bursted back to the surface far from where its opponent was standing, aiming to escape rather than land the attack.

Brock grew noticeably more tense. He was now disadvantaged against both of Zander's Pokémon. If I take out the Poliwag, I can focus all my attention on that Magnemite, he thought. Although Water was super effective on Rock, Leo did not have the same defensive edge that Minus did.

"Rhyhorn, Horn Attack!" Brock called. Rhyhorn scraped at the ground with its claws, then charged towards Leo at breakneck speed.

- - -

Alex waved goodbye to Devon over his shoulder.

"You ready, Tux?" he prompted his Piplup who continued to rest atop his head.

"Pip!" Tux replied with conviction.

He smiled to himself, happy that his Pokémon had faith in his abilities. However, the Piplup appeared to be far more confident than Alex felt on the inside.

"We can do this," he reassured himself.

By the time Tracer regrouped with all his mission cohorts, his garb had changed. Outwardly, he wore no disguise per se, but was instead covered from head to toe with dark camouflage. Underneath, his getup was as near a match to a Team Snagem uniform as Team Rocket professionals could tailor. Slung over his back was a metallic mimic of the prototype Snag Machine, identical in style to the one Wes had paraded around the Orre region years ago. It would be no good if Team Snagem had updated their design, but if given the chance to switch out with a genuine one, Tracer would not hesitate. Under his right arm, he carried a launcher that could shoot a single, massive glob of adhesive solution: the Rocket Grunt "glue gun." It wasn't accurate at long range, and water and fire would dissolve it quickly, but it could effectively immobilize any creature smaller than the average Onix. In his left hand, he held a specialized magnet whose sole design was for detecting electronic trackers of any sort. Finally, strapped to his belt was a supersonic emitter, which would badly disturb any local wild pokemon sensitive to its high-frequency pitch. After Proton's warning about the probable presence of powerful trainers, Tracer needed to give himself the extra edge. He nodded to his colleagues, and saluted Petrel crisply. Thereafter, as Petrel filled him in on the plan, they emerged back out into the used cars lot.

"If the crap hits the fan, we'll likely need to scatter, and force any pursuers to abandon certain targets for others," Tracer suggested. He pointed to a separate section of the lot, which contained dirt bikes chained to security poles. "Those motorcycles will serve well in tight quarters, especially if we're forced to actually go inside Mount Moon's tunnel. 168 already cleared them for operation, and I'm just waiting for him to come back with the keys. That is, of course, unless you had something else in mind?"

The question was meant for Petrel, but Tracer swept his eyes over the little group to make the "you" a plural one. He hardly expected that they would all pack together in one vehicle again, like before. This upcoming operation would require very delicate handling, and if the claws came out, Team Rocket stood little chance in an outright tussle. Now, more than ever, he valued his extraction options.

Whatever happened next, they would be at Mount Moon before they knew it. The suspense was already killing him.

Civilians gasped and screamed upon seeing the large winged beast soaring high above their heads. Flying on Charizard's massive body, Red clenched his teeth, seething with anger just thinking about the horrible things that could be happening to Pikachu at the very moment.

"Pikachu....we've been through everything together....the gym challenge, the Pokemon League......Hell, we even lived on the top of a mountain for a few years! After all that we've achieved, all the struggles that we endured, no way am I letting you down now!"

Charizard looked back at Red, signaling that they were about to descend. Still not accustomed to speaking, the Champion nodded and leapt off Charizard's back before they even hit the ground. Now sprinting full-speed towards the mountain with Charizard trailing not too far behind, Red completely missed the man in red, hiding behind a boulder, spying on his every move. The mysterious figure brought out a small communicator with a black "S" emblazoned on it. He whispered:
"Wakin to Gonzap. Target arriving at designated location in a few seconds. Get ready, boss."

Rocket

Packed in the sturdy vehicle, Walt was busy equipping himself with gear. He strapped to his back the newest model of the Ultra Net Launcher. It was 90% more resistant to Pokemon attacks than the previous model, hence the name Ultra. He also took several of those Atomic Pineco Bombs and latched them onto his belt alongside his Pokeballs (Just in case).

Meanwhile, Petrel, who was an expert at disguise, was making himself nearly unrecognizable using all sorts of dyes and brushes. When he came out, he looked almost identical to a standard Team Snagem Grunt. Petrel peered out the car window and saw the looming peak of Mt. Moon towering over them all. He called to the agents:
"Alright, you three, listen up. We're approaching the target point, so keep your guard up. We can't afford to screw this one up because there is no way that us four can take on Snagem and this powerful trainer in direct combat. When you're out there on the battlefield, show no mercy; We're Team Rocket! We play dirty. Use all the weapons and Pokemon at your disposal, anything that will help to reach our end goal."

As Devon waited at the pokemon centre’s built-in battleground, he watched trainers of all shapes and sizes wander by; he couldn’t help but think of their stories and the things they’d seen. He might’ve been in one of the first towns in the Kanto region, but at the same time so many trainers were just passing through, each with some incredibly strong and unique pokemon. Devon sat on a bench shaded by a large oak tree while Spring sat by his side dozing - there was nothing better that he could’ve imagined. The sun shone on what was a fairly warm day, although Devon knew little of the storm that was to come. Eventually, another trainer came up and sat on the bench next to him dressed in a yellow and black dress with short and somewhat unkempt brown hair. She had an electrifying personality to match, and it was clear she was looking for a challenge. “I KNOW you’re not here to sit around. Lets battle!” She said hurriedly, turning to face Devon and his pokemon. Devon smirked and then stood up almost as quickly as the girl spoke; He was about to accept her challenge, but she spoke up yet again and cut him off completely. “Hey I’ll even give you this weird seed if you win!I’m an electric-type specialist so I won’t need it any time soon. Apparently it boosts the power of grass-type moves.” She said.

“Alright miss…” “Sparks” “Miss Sparks...You’re on! A I only have two pokemon, so let’s have a double battle!” The nodded her head, and moved quickly over to the other side of the battlefield. She tossed out two pokeballs which erupted with a bright light and revealed...a Pachirisu and a Shinx! The two pokemon stood on the battlefield ready and raring to battle together. “Alright! Spring and Subzero, get ready for a battle!” Devon shouted, letting Spring hop over to his side of the battlefield and calling Subzero out of its pokeball. Both of the pokemon grinned like Devon; this was Springs first battle with him and she was eager to fight, as was Subzero who hadn’t fought alongside another pokemon before. “We’ll go I guess! My pokemon are sure to give you an electrifying time! Alright then: Pachirisu, use Spark on the Deerling! Shinx, Charge u your power!” The enemy Pachirisu ran forward at an alarming speed, its fur crackling with electricity; it Zig-zagged towards Spring, and while it did so the Shinx stood still. Its fur began to spark with electricity, but for the time being it didn’t seem to be doing much…

The Pachirisu quickly came to Spring, but as it was about to hit her Devon called out an attack. “Spring! Use leech seed at it gets close. Subzero, Powder snow!” Spring acted first, being the faster of the two, and even though she was completely bodied by the enemy Pachirisu’s spark attack and knocked to the floor, the pokemon quickly picked herself up. She out seeds from her both, directed at the Pachirisu, and as the bounced off of its fur they began to ensnare ts tail and body, wrapping it up somewhat. The seedlings glowed as they became wrapped around the target, and the pokemon jumped back to its side of the battlefield. Spring had a scuff to her cheek from the enemy attack, but for a moment Devon saw the vines glow brighter and as they did so the Pachirisu winced. Already, the leech seed attack was working. “Touche” Sparks said, smiling. Subzero let out a breath of cold air next, and flakes of snow swirled in the air. The rushed past BOTH the Pachirisu and the Shinx, injuring both of them.

Sparks looked concerned, as was Devon, but the young girl thrust her hand forward. She began to shout but still spoke in a fast-paced tone. “Alright! Shinx, Discharge!” She called out, laughing. Immediately, a bright yellow light erupted from the pokemon, and electricity could be seen in the air around the battle. Devon could barely see what was happening because of such a bright and powerful attack, and only in the wake of it would he see what had really gone on...

"So...hoping to chip away at my defense, eh?" Zander watched quietly as Ryhorn clawed its way out of the mud and prepare a head on attack. Even without Onix in play, this battle was going just as planned.

"Wait for it....now Leo!" The small tadpole pokemon smacked its large tailed against the earth, side stepping Ryhorn at the last moment, its padded feet sliding across the muddy terrain.

"See the thing is, while Leo doesn't have the greatest defensive power, he's fast. And being on this softened muddy terrain only adds to his advantage. Meanwhile, a Pokémon like Ryhorn with heavy padded feet and sharp claws, is likely at a disadvantage on this field. And now that your movements been restricted... Leo, make like Minus! Water Gun back to back!" The young trainer announced his plan and intentions, attempting to show off his strategic edge before continuing his assault.

Meanwhile, Leo had begun essentially mud-skating along the arena floor, circling Brocks Ryhorn. Leo used his tail as both a propulsion and steering system, all the while firing off small spurts of pressurized water aimed right for the muddy Ryhorn.
It was all going to plan. Even if Ryhorn managed to dodge his attacks, the continuous Water Guns really helped slick up the floor.

"What's your next move, Brock?"

Under most circumstances, Tracer would follow his own instincts rather than submit to the judgment of anyone who contested them. Executive Petrel was one of the two exceptions to this rule. The fact that he had chosen to transport their four-man team in an unmarked car, rather than take the motorcycles as Tracer wished, didn't trouble him like it otherwise might have. Tracer contented himself with the thought that Petrel knew best, and a car would likely draw less attention than four motorcycles. This man was Team Rocket's master of espionage. He doubtlessly knew what he was doing.

They parked in the lot outside of Mt. Moon's isolate Pokemon Center, but were barely out the doors when the massive body of an orange reptile bulleted overhead. The very force of its wing-flaps sent shockwaves that audibly rattled the cars in the lot, even setting off the alarm of one nearest to the Center. Petrel said nothing, but made eye contact with the team and flicked his walkie on. Tracer nodded and melted into the shadows of the nearby trees, noting that it had gotten darker out. Clouds were massing overhead, and the smell of a major thunderstorm was on the wind.

"So," muttered Petrel's voice through the walkie. "He actually came. It's none other than Red himself. The Snags must've really gone the extra mile to piss this one off."

That was an understatement. Red was one of the top three strongest trainers of this age, in all known regions. Tracer allocated a portion of his mind to maintaining steady breathing, and his heart, to frost over into unfeeling calm. He shut out his fear: the quicker, less effective alternative to bravery. Fear was base and unproductive. It was but a tool to be used against weaker-willed opponents. Without another second to spare, he skimmed the shadows to the looming behemoth that was Mount Moon.

"Gastly," he commanded tonelessly, "count heat signatures. I need to know where there are eyes, and the direction in which they're looking. Let's be methodical about this."

A few seconds later, Tracer reported eight hostiles in the open via radio, excluding those who had already entered Mt. Moon tunnel proper. Of these, he and Gastly incapacitated three each, while Haunter choked out one. The last was too far out of the way, and away from all dark places and obstacles that would obscure sight for a sneak attack. One of his teammates would need to deal with that guy.

Meanwhile, Snagem Leader Gonzap stood in the center floor of the stony Mt. Moon cavern, his muscular arms crossed in front of him. His back was initially turned to the approaching trainer in the red cap, but noise like a fiery burst erupted from behind him, and the place lit like a torch. His curiosity getting the better of him, Gonzap turned, and noted with some disappointment that four Gloom lay steaming in a circle around Red and his blazing Charizard. The Champion's eyes were hidden under the cap, but his aura of controlled fury was undeniable. Gonzap shrugged like he wasn't bothered.

"Okay," he began, "I guess I deserved that. But hey, you wouldn't be much of a pokemon master if you walked blindly into a cloud of Sleep Powder. You pass the first test, congrat-"

"Pikachu." Red's voice was taut as a bowstring. "Now."

Gonzap threw back his head and laughed, a long, amused noise that echoed off the walls. "Gwahahahaha! Come on, that's your opening line? As though you expect me to just hand my bargaining chip straight over, and that's the end of it?" Abruptly, he stopped laughing, and his tone grew cold. "You came to me, you little punk. That alone should set the tone for this negotiation. I caught your Pikachu- that proves I could snag the others too, on my own terms. But even thieves can be gracious. Open and honest terms- that's what I'm offering here and now. That's far more than any other crook would ever grant you. All you gotta do is listen, then give the correct answer at the end. Trust me, you'll know what it is."

With a snap of his fist, Gonzap motioned to Red. "How about it? Are you gonna listen to my demands?"

"So, Champion, what will it be? Will you comply?"
Red could no longer bear the Snagem Boss's snide commentary. He thrusted forward a fist as if to punch the man, and roared:
"BLAST BURN!!"
Charizard engulfed itself in a swirling ring of fire, its whole body radiating sheer power. The fiery dragon then slammed its fist into the ground, sending a powerful wave of energy in Gonzap's direction.
Gonzap, however, showed little sign of worry, and to Red's dismay, even gave an evil grin. Upon contact, the energy wave erupted into a massive column of flame, similar to that of a volcanic eruption. When the wall of fire finally gave out, Red's heartbeat instantly accelerated at what was before him.

Gonzap stood there, unscathed, as if nothing had ever happened. Before him, was a sleek Skarmory, holding its wings in a "X", a green sphere protecting itself and its trainer. Gonzap gave a malicious laugh and growled:
"Nasty temper you got there, boy. Did you really think that I didn't prepare for your antics? Skarmory here has been specially trained to block strong attacks with its Protect technique. Now, back to business. Skarmory, show 'em the Pikachu."
Skarmory soared back into the cave and came out holding an unconscious Pikachu in its metal claws. Gonzap's grin widened as he said: "Withdraw that Charizard if you want your precious little Pikachu back in one piece."
Red slowly raised his Pokeball and reluctantly tapped Charizard's wing with it. The Pokeball released a red flash of light, and Charizard was instantly sent back to it. Red spat furiously:
"Well? Out with it. What do you want?"

In an attempt to not be blindsided by a Water Gun, Rhyhorn ineffectively tried to keep Leo in front of it. The jets of water slammed into its hulking body as it spun on the muddy ground, sending the Rock type toppling onto its side.

Brock gritted his teeth in distress and cursed. It's way too fast, he thought. There's no way I'll be able to land a hit, and Rhyhorn can't take much more of this.

"
Rhyhorn, Sand Attack," he commanded. As Rhyhorn regained its balance, it dug its front claw into the ground and ripped outwards to send clumps of thick mud towards Leo in an attempt to blind it. After all, a Poliwag has no arms, so it would be difficult to wipe away its eyes.

- - -

Despite Tracer's enthusiasm, Abby was pleased at Executive Petrel's choice to take the truck instead of the motorcycles. She doubted her ability to effectively operate the vehicle alone, and despite her gift for maneuvering on a skateboard, she felt that the skill definitely didn't carry over to other kinds of wheeled machines. She heaved a small sigh of relief at Petrel's taking over of the operation, as he appeared to be more level-headed than Tracer. While she had previously secretly admired Tracer from afar, she now realized that he was sick with a passion for misplaced vengeance and wasn't particularly good-humored towards others, especially his inferiors. She thought back to his interaction with 168 at the HQ. What will happen when I screw up? The thought made her anxious and she elected to not say a word for the entire drive to Mt. Moon.

Abby was astounded by the amount of gadgets that Team Rocket had managed to amass. For an organization that had largely collapsed just a few years prior, the scientists and engineers were very clearly hard at work. She equipped herself with a Net Launcher, not entirely trusting herself with any of the other weapons, being a relatively new recruit. She didn't want to be the reason the mission was jeopardized.

Abby exited the truck, her neck craned to gaze up at the craggy peak of Mt. Moon with a wonderstruck expression on her face. "So this whole mountain was formed by a meteor, huh?" she said in a low voice, not entirely expecting an answer and also not receiving one.

She watched as her comrades immediately switched into mission-mode and poured into the cave like heat-seeking missiles.

"Mistral, let's go," Abby called, pulling a Poké Ball out of her bag and aiming it towards the ground in front of her. In a beam of red light, a Sneasel appeared.

"Into the cave, but be quiet," she said, stealthily following after the other members. Her skinny frame and general athleticism allowed her to sneak almost silently inside.

Meanwhile, back at the pokemon centre, Devon’s battle with the electric-type pokemon specialist raged on; the two trainers fought with everything they had, as did their pokemon, and things were heating up. The young boy had always loved battling, and now that he had pokemon of his own he loved it even more. Speaking truthfully, this was his first ‘real’ battle; while he’d fought the young trainers on the earlier routes as well as team rocket in the forest, this battle was different. His opponent used pokemon that actually presented some kind of a challenge to his team, and the thought of getting a reward for winning would surely only make victory taste sweeter. Sparks was a nice girl, Devon thought, and if he ever needed advice on any kind of electric-type Pokemon then he knew where to look. Still, he winced at the sight of such a powerful Discharge attack from her shinx. The electricity kicked up dust with it, however when it cleared up both the girl with the electric personality and the Alolan kid were left gasping…

Devon opened his eyes to survey the damage that had been done, but surprisingly all four Pokemon were still standing! Each of them were panting heavily, though, and the opposing Pachirisu looked worse for wear. “Your Pokemon are so powerful!” Both trainers called out in unison in what was a moment of strange synchronisation. Devon was about to call out another attack, but it seemed like he didn't have to; Spring began to shout and hop around, before a cluster of seeds came flying out of her mouth at an extremely high speed, heading right towards the enemy Pachirisu. “Whoa! What was that?!” He yelled, in awe of what had just happened. “That looked like bullet seed!” Sparks replied, watching as her Pachirisu was knocked back by the attack. Devon couldn't help but smile to himself; Spring had already learned a new move. He knew she was strong. By now, the Pachirisu was on its last legs; the Pokemon that was battling just fine not a moment ago was on the verge of collapsing. The Vines wrapped around it glowed green again and provided HP to Spring as the battle continued, further weakening the opposing Pokemon.

It was still Devon's turn to move, but he knew that as long as the Shinx was in the way he'd stand no chance of winning; it was just far too powerful, so he instead decided to focus solely on the Pachirisu. “Subzero, use scratch on the Pachirisu. Make it a good one!” He called out. Almost immediately, his Pokemon kept forward with its claws glowing. Subzero slashed at the electric squirrel and dug into its body; looking up, Devon saw that the Pachirisu had fallen to the floor and...fainted! He'd actually managed to defeat one of the her Pokemon! Still, he wasn't out of the fire just yet. “Shinx! Volt tackle!” Sparks shouted quickly. Doing as it was told, the Shinx ran towards Subzero with its body glowing with energy. “DODGE I--” Devon had spoken too slowly, because he was cut off by the distraught cry of his Pokemon. Subzero was knocked back far and ended up on his back. As the boy looked over, he saw that the Sandshrew had fainted and could no longer get fight -- suddenly the double battle became a single one.

Devon looked on at the Carnage the battle had brought; the floor had been ripped up by Shinx's discharge and Spring's Bullet seed, while small piles of snow lay around the edge thanks to Subzero. It was difficult to move on the terrain, but Devon thought that maybe he'd be able to use it to his advantage. He looked at Spring, who gave him a nod, and considered the options he had available to him. His Pokemon was tired, but there was still a lot of time left for him to pull things back and claim a victory…

Only intensive training and self-discipline kept Tracer from losing himself in fascination of the scene unfolding within Mt. Moon cave. The Snagem grunts posted along the rocky walls had eyes glued to the showdown between Gonzap and Red, though whether they were waiting to pounce, or just stupefied with awe, was impossible to yet tell. Red's Charizard glowed with such intense brilliance that there was no shadow left to lurk in. Tracer adapted by enveloping himself in the midst of Gastly's perpetual spirit-fog, blurring his already-camouflaged form. Now he was like a river alligator: someone might spot him, but only if they looked directly at him. A tentative glance in his direction would give nothing away; and right now, nobody had an eye to spare.

Taking care to avoid collateral damage by Skarmory and Charizard, Tracer scanned for any telltale sign of a snag machine. Unless it had been redesigned, the contraption would be located on the arm, ready to prime pokeballs for OT override. His eyes darted from grunt to Snagem grunt. All of their uniforms were identical: black pants, white t-shirt, red sleeveless vest. There would be no hiding the device, given the total lack of shirts with sleeves. Tracer's eyes narrowed. Had the Snags really not brought it here, after going through the trouble of setting Red up? Or, if it was here, in what form had it been recast? There was nobody about who could escape Gastly's life-sense detection, unless they could somehow control their heartbeat and body temperature. Surely somebody here had it. But who? And where?

Tracer briefly considered grabbing a Snagem grunt from behind, and using Haunter to frighten the information out of him. But no, it would take time that they did not have in the rapidly-unfolding showdown, and a common grunt was unlikely to know anything anyway. Perhaps if he could locate a sub-commander of Snagem to interrogate, that might get them somewhere. It was a slightly unnerving thought, going up against another team's equivalent of a Rocket Executive, but the man would doubtlessly have his hands full already. Given the current circumstances, Tracer might be able to match him.

"Tracer to Team," he whispered into his radio. "No recognizable Snag Machine on any of the tangos. Is Gonzap the sole Snagem leader, or are there subcommanders? If anyone's got eyes on an identifiable lieutenant, give me a description."

Gonzap sneered coldly and snapped his fingers. In an instant, a Snagem grunt appeared from within the depths of Mt. Moon. The lowly grunt carefully handed Gonzap a black briefcase.
"Well Champion, you're in for a little surprise. Allow me to demonstrate Team Snagem's true genius!"
Gonzap opened up the briefcase, revealing a set of syringes holding an ominous blue liquid.
"Tell me Red, have you ever heard of Shadow Pokemon?"
Red remained silent.
Gonzap laughed and took out one of the syringes a lifted it up
"I'll explain nonetheless. Shadow Pokemon are Pokemon whose hearts are completely shut to those around it. In other words, these monsters are cold-blooded killing machines, gaining massive boosts in power; They won't stop until their target is completely obliterated. This serum here is the key to Shadow Pokemon. One injection of this fluid, and any Pokemon, no matter how kind at heart, will turn into a ruthless Shadow Pokemon. Now you may be wondering, Red, why I called you here. Team Snagem's ultimate goal is to create an army of unstoppable Shadow Pokemon from acquiring Pokemon from powerful trainers such as yourself."

Red shook his head in disbelief:
"No! Then what are you going to do with my Pikachu?"

Gonzap spoke in almost a whisper:
"Connect the dots, Red. Your Pikachu will be our first test subject."
Skarmory lifted the unconscious little Pokemon and placed it in Gonzap's hand. The muscled Snagem leader took the syringe and injected Pikachu in the tail. Slowly, the electric mouse started to open its eyes. Red watched, paralyzed in fear, as his own Pikachu slowly rose up, a sinister purple aura surrounding it.
"Goodbye, Red. Pikachu! Shadow Bolt him into oblivion!"

Abby clung to the rocky wall of the cave, envying the way the other grunts were able to seamlessly blend into their surroundings to avoid detection. She knew she lacked the tact and grace to simply slip past the Snagems and go straight for the Pokémon, so she opted to observe for afar before deciding when to strike. She labored to hoist herself onto a rocky outcropping in the wall, making sure not to grunt from the exertion so that she wouldn't alert the enemies of her presence. Despite her poor choice of footwear, scraping fruitlessly against the rocky surface, she was able to pull herself up and glide effortlessly to a ledge that afforded her a view of Gonzap and Red.

Mistral clung to her backpack, peering over her shoulder to view the situation unfolding.

Pikachu squirmed as it was injected with the strange blue liquid. A purple aura immediately flared up around it.

"What is that?" Abby said in disbelief, immediately pinching herself for recklessly making noise. Mistral shifted uneasily on her back.

"Goodbye, Red. Pikachu! Shadow Bolt him into oblivion!"

Abby stifled a gasp and threw a hand over her mouth. She wiggled her body to retreat behind the face of the rock ledge, knowing fully well that a powerful Electric type move was inbound. Although Team Rocket used the moves of their Pokémon to steal from Trainers, they never directly targeted another person if the situation didn't absolutely call for it. Assault was often unnecessary. Who are these Snagem guys?

"Eyes on two more individuals, potentially hostiles," Abby spoke quietly into radio. "Really big guy in white with crazy red hair and a smaller one with purple hair and glasses." She was taken aback by their unusual outfits.

Cipher Admins Dakim and Ein entered the cavern. Ein approached Gonzap with a confident stride.

"Glad to see the serum works," he said with a sinister grin. "Years of research finally coming to fruition."

Dakim hung back and readied himself for physical conflict in case Red tried to escape or attack the other admins. He began to menacingly loosen his knuckles by cracking the joints.

"Eyes on two more individuals, potentially hostiles," came Abby's voice through the radio. "Really big guy in white with crazy red hair and a smaller one with purple hair and glasses."

"I see 'em," murmured Tracer grimly. The two had emerged rather closely to his position, which troubled him because Gastly hadn't called them out. Then again, the moment Pikachu had emitted its dark aura, Gastly hadn't been able to avert his eyes any longer.

Now, as the Shadow Bolt lit up the chamber, it was all Tracer could do to avert his eyes. Even so, the flash was the same as if a train's headlights had been shone directly in his face. When he looked back at center floor, sparks flashing on the edge of his vision, Tracer saw the result of the electric blast. Charizard stood directly in front of Red, its body shuddering with the bodily throes that came with such voltage concentration. Tracer wondered with dull amazement how any Flying-type could live through an electric assault so strong, let alone, remain standing. Then, as Charizard's tail flared up and raised the chamber by thirty degrees at once, he realized the obvious answer. While any other Charizard might have fallen, this was Red's Charizard: his first and probably strongest pokemon. Even the world's mightiest Pikachu with its inhibitions removed was not a match . . . though it had left a critical injury.

"Its wings are crippled," observed Tracer, his heartbeat increasing involuntarily. "Red's just been denied his flight option." He watched as Red's arms flashed out on both sides, releasing two pokeballs on both sides. "He's going to fight."

In four flashes, Red's entire team took the field. Tracer marveled at how, despite the gravity of the situation, Red could field his pokemon so strategically, as if by instinct. Across from Dakim, Blastoise and Snorlax materialized. Before Ein emerged Venusaur and Espeon. Unlike normal double-battles, however, they stood back-to-back, as if they knew to watch each others' backs for sneak attacks. Tracer theorized, with renewed fear and respect, that Red's pokemon weren't just potent. They were smart.

"Hold fast!" came Petrel's sharp command through the radio. "We anticipated this might happen. Let them wear each other down, and don't get hit in the crossfire. Who's got that Shadow serum within reach?"

Tracer couldn't speak for Ruscit and White, but he himself had been inching steadily closer to Gonzap as he choked his way through the Snagem grunts. "I'm on it," he whispered, and noted with dread that his voice was slightly shaking. "Haunter, you're up. Grab one of those syringes while Gonzap's busy."

Haunter wavered in and out of sight beside him, and Tracer barely registered his expression. He was wide-eyed with naked terror. This was not at all like the Haunter he'd owned before, who literally laughed in the face of danger. Tracer turned to look at what he'd seen, just in time to see Charizard consume Pikachu in a maelstrom of fire. Whether it was Red's will or not, Charizard seemed to know that there would be no snapping Pikachu out of its current berserk state, and attack was the only option left for self-preservation. This was the sort of danger zone that Tracer had just told Haunter to brave.

"Come on," Tracer urged more insistently. "It's just like taking the apples off the tree in Pewter. Wait for the flames to stop, and grab one with your dismembered hand."

Haunter still seemed petrified to all the world. As Charizard's flames finally died down, leaving a blackened Pikachu in its wake, Tracer steeled himself. "Haunter!" he intoned, channeling the deep rage that always lurked at the center of his being. "Your master, Tracer, commands you!" He laid one hand on Haunter's head, injecting a small measure of Poison Dart Frog, and finally snapping Haunter from his trance. "Go!"

His words were like the effect of a magical geas. With fear of Red's pokemon before it, but greater terror of its master behind, Haunter was compelled forward, going invisible and slipping around Gonzap. Out came the lavender claw, reaching into the suitcase and closing over a single syringe.

For all that had just occurred, barely thirty seconds of real time had elapsed.

Outside the Pokemon centre, what had started as a double battle had quickly become a single one; Devon’s pokemon were beginning to look worse for wear, but that didn’t mean the battle would be lost just yet. Spring panted heavily and her body was laden with scratches and grazes from all of the attacks she had taken, but so did the enemy Shinx that had already fought so hard. “Right, Spring! Bullet seed again!” Devon yelled, thrusting forward his hand again in excitement. The pokemon yelled, then a burst of seeds flew out of her mouth at the other pokemon; they crashed into its legs and chest even though it hopped left in an attempt to dodge. The Shinx held up its paw after the attack and appeared to be in pain, but it hadn’t fainted yet and was still ready to fight…

“Alright! Swift!” Sparks called out. Her pokemon followed the instructions and launched a barrage of energy-based stars at Devon’s, but he was smart and knew how to counter it. “Spring! See if you can use Double Kick on the stars, yeah?” Almost immediately, her hooves began to glow, and she raised up just as the Swift move encircled her; Spring thrust out her legs, kicking the stars behind her. The culmination of the attacks created quite a scene, as energy was sent all around them. The battlefield looked like something you'd see at a contest, but it would soon be over. “Alright, nice!” Devon cheered, his pokemon landing on the ground with a huff. “Ok! Bullet see---” Before the lad could finish calling out his move, he heard a terrible sound.

Spring yelped, and in a flash of lightning the battle was over. Devon had focussed far too much on his own pokemon and had neglected to hear what move Miss sparks had called. The Shinx had used volt tackle one last time, and as it contacted with Spring she was sent backwards, kicking up dust from the battlefield. When it cleared, it became clear that she had fainted from her low eyes and the fact that she wasn’t moving. To some extent, Devon was upset that he had lost, but he was also somewhat proud of himself for managing to take out at least one of the enemy’s pokemon. The young boy withdrew his pokemon into her premier ball, then began walking over to Sparks, who had also withdrew her Shinx. “Well done…” He said, shaking hands with the other competitor. She smiled at him, then held her hands by her side.

“You battled well! I think you deserve the reward for how well you battled. Besides, It’s not like i’m going to need it as an electric-type specialist.” She said, nodding while handing over the miracle seed that she had offered as a wager. “I guess I’ll see you around. Maybe you’ll be able to beat me next time.” Sparks stuck out her tongue at Devon, and then disappeared into the city almost as quickly as she arrived. The young girl was incredibly powerful even though she only used one type of pokemon, and unlike with a few of the other trainers he’d fought Devon actually wanted to see her again. Nonetheless, he headed inside the pokemon centre to heal his partners.

After a few moments of waiting, Spring and Subzero had been healed, the wounds from the battle now being healed thanks to her medicine. The battle was incredibly thrilling, and in the wake of it there was little time to lose; he wanted to get a gym badge now more than ever, and the first step to doing that would be to make it to Cerulean city. It was likely that the town would be a lot less crowded than the others since it was farther into the region than the first town was, meaning he wouldn’t have to wait as long for to challenge leader Misty. Before leaving for the route, though, there was something the boy had to do. “Come on out, Spring!” he said, calling forth the deerling. “Alright, I’m going to tie this around your neck.” He said, using the blue ribbon that the lady had given him earlier to tie the miracle seed around his pokemon’s neck. “Shall we...make a move?”

Eventually, the two left Pewter city with Alex and the others still occupied with whatever challenge they had created for themselves. Route 3 lay past the city but after that was Mt. Moon. It took the to a while, but Devon and Spring eventually made it to the mountain. Still, it was clear to the alolan kid that something terrible was going on inside, as tremors shook the earth every few moments. It was likely two powerful pokemon fighting together, but Devon was hesitant to enter just in case there was something even more dangerous happening that he should’ve steered clear of.

Leo stumbled backwards as grainy mud was splattered across his face, obstructing his view. The small water pokemon began to panic, firing off Water Guns in every which way, trying to protect its now very exposed figure.

"Leo! Calm down! No point getting all worked up, itll only make the situation worse." Zander's face had gone stone cold, the fierceness and determination had not left his eyes, but were enhanced by the analytical expression washing over him.

"Leo, im gonna need you to be very quiet for me. Focus on everything you hear going on around you. Pinpoint certain sounds and listen." Zander's voice was steadily getting lower and slower, as a way to calm his partner.

"Poliiii...." Leo cried, attempting to slow his breathing. What could he hear....what could he hear? A small chuckle escape Brocks mouth, the sound of heavy feet squishing against mud....the heavy breathing of a pokemon with a metallic body.

"Good, looks like youve got it. Now I want you t-BUBBLE BEAM!" Zander seemed like he had been congratulating Leo on calming down, when in reality, he was congratulating him for tracking Ryhorn's location. The small tadpole pokemon fired a powerful waves of violently popping bubbles in Ryhorns direction. Leo swayed his head from side to side slowly as he fired the attack, causing it to transition from a beam into more of a wave as a way to up its radius.

Last edited:
By no other virtue than luck, Haunter made it back to Tracer through all the sparks and flames that filled the air between Pikachu and Charizard. Red gave no orders, but by way of telepathy or empathy bond- or perhaps just autonomy of his team- the pokemon under his command rapidly pummeled anything that got in their way. Ein's Altaria and Huntail could not withstand the psy-and-solar beams of Red's Espeon and Venusaur combined. Likewise, Dakim's Metang and Camerupt gave way under the force of Blastoise and Snorlax's sheer strength. This was an utterly lopsided matchup, with the defenders counted lucky if they survived past the first assault. Only Charizard and Pikachu resembled anything close to a mutually proportional match, and it was there that Red's focus seemed held.

"Tracer to Team," muttered the Agent, keeping his voice just barely loud enough to register over the noise of pokemon attacks. "I've got a sample of the Shadow serum. Tactical withdrawal suggested. At this rate, the two sides won't wear each other down; it will only be Red, and anyone stupid enough to be seen by him in his berserk state."

In afterthought, he added: "I'm in a suitable position to kidnap Ein, but I don't wanna be too greedy. We have one prize at least. Orders, Executive Petrel?"

Petrel gave a sly grin and spoke into his communicator:
"Stay back for now. I'll cover for you, then you go."
The executive disconnected the signal, as he reached into his utility belt full of various tools of disguise. He started applying layer after layer of makeup and paint, completely transforming himself from Petrel to Snagem Admin Ein.

The newly disguised Petrel stepped out carefully and turned back on the communicator:
"Go for it."

Meanwhile, Walt was clinging on to dear life to a rock as the two titans clashed. He desperately scanned the surroundings, looking for an opening to attack. Suddenly, a worn down Camerupt came crashing down in front of him, clearly feeling the full force of Blastoise’s Hydro Pump.

This Camerupt....it’s strong for sure, but it’s critically wounded. Do I have enough strength by myself to fight it? I don’t suppose Petrel will be too happy if I came back empty handed...Looks like I have no choice.

As the large fire type struggled to get to its feet, Walt hesitated for a moment, grasping his net launcher. Then, without warning, he fired. A sturdy black net rocketed out and completely enveloped the Camerupt. Camerupt grunted in surprise, its body tensed up, charging up a lava plume attack. Walt leapt back, fully expecting the net to give away to the heat at any moment. To his surprise, the restraining net remained completely unharmed after the attack.

Woah. They really are everything proof!

Walt, consumed by his success, almost forgot about the other issue: Actually moving the Pokémon. There was no way Drac was that strong to pull a full grown Camerupt and Fletchinder probably wasn’t going to make that big of a difference either. Walt thought about it for a second and raised his communicator to his mouth.
“Ruscit to White. Come to location point 5. I need help with transporting this Camerupt.”

With the battle quickly wearing down, Tracer calculated he had precious few seconds before unfriendly eyes would find him. Adrenaline spiked in his system as he shifted his mind to Black Mamba mode, and then he was behind Ein, arms poised to strike and constrict. To his surprise, however, Ein turned his head, as if in slow motion, seemingly anticipating his strike. The Cipher scientist's eye glittered maliciously behind his sharp glasses.

"You think I cannot tell when someone is sneaking up on me, even in the midst of battle?" Ein snapped as he leaped aside. "Do not insult my intelligence!"

He dipped his body nimbly as Haunter's dismembered fist shot out in a Shadow Punch. It still struck, but it was a glancing blow, and Gastly's hypnotic mist was similarly evaded. Surprise registered in the back of Tracer's mind, astonishment that this laboratory egghead was capable of such acrobatics and battle instinct. Nevertheless, it was costing him. As he danced and dodged, Red's Venusaur brought his two pokemon down with an all-encompassing Razor Leaf barrage. Ein glanced up for just a second to assess his pokemon's defeat, and it was all the time Tracer needed to whip an arm around his neck.

"You may be able to predict what's coming immediately before it happens," he hissed in the Cipher Admin's ear, "but I'm still faster than you. Surrender yourself to Team Rocket."

"Dakim . . . would have . . . crushed you . . ." wheezed Ein, as he fought against Tracer's sleeper hold.

"That's why I went for you," whispered Tracer. Ein went limp.

Without another thought for the battle in the cavern, Tracer made eye contact with Gastly and nodded. The Ghost-type's illusion magic went to work, and in seconds, a Weezing drifted out the front entrance of Mount Moon cave and into the rain. Its primary head had Tracer's wary, slitted eyes, while the secondary head appeared unconscious.

"Tracer to Team," the Weezing whispered, "I'm headed to the car. The path outside is clear except for a single trainer with a Deerling. It's pouring though, so I doubt he'll be able to make anyone out clearly. Hurry, before Red wises up to you!"

Skylar wondered into Pewter City with her Alolan Meowth on her shoulder and her Litten trailing behind her. She quickly entered the Pokèmart and dropped her money onto the counter, “Five Ultra Balls, please!” She asked, then put them in her small bag with her other items. Litten looked back at the Cashier as they left, ‘Mrawr!’. Standing outside, Skylar saw a bench next to the mart and went to take a seat. Meowth jumped off of her shoulder and comfortably sat down, whilst Litten had lay down on the other side of Skylar to groom itself. Skylar whipped out a map, “Alright.. where to go next..” She looked behind her, “Oh, there’s the museum, you two! And the Gym!”

Rhyhorn scrambled on the muddy ground, attempting to fruitlessly escape the range of the Bubblebeam. It let out a small cry as the bubbles slammed into its plated body, sending the rhinoceros Pokémon toppling over, completely exhausted. There was a loud crash as the extent of its weight collapsed onto the ground.

"Return, Rhyhorn," Brock said, extending an arm grasping a Poké Ball. The fainted Pokémon was absorbed in red light and called back.

"I'm impressed," Brock said to Zander with a grin, though his expression did not give away the uneasiness he felt. "You've defeated my strongest Pokémon." He knew the battle was basically over, as Geodude could not hold its own against both Poliwag and Magnemite.

"Go, Geodude!" he called, tossing a Poké Ball onto the muddy battlefield. The Rock Pokémon appeared once again and flexed. "Tackle!" Geodude rushed towards Leo.

- - -

“Ruscit to White. Come to location point 5. I need help with transporting this Camerupt.”

"A Camerupt?" Abby said under her breath. "Holy Muk, how did you manage that?"

She began to scale the wall of the cavern, ensuring that she still remained silent. Mistral clung to her backpack, ready to defend her Trainer should any of the Snagem grunts decide to go on the offensive.

Her eyes widened as she noiselessly approached Walt and the Camerupt. The Pokémon was large and formidable, and surely would not be easy to move.

"I can't believe you caught this thing," she whispered.

Just then, Tracer's voice came over the radio. "Tracer to Team. I'm headed to the car. The path outside is clear except for a single trainer with a Deerling. It's pouring though, so I doubt he'll be able to make anyone out clearly. Hurry, before Red wises up to you!"

"We should get out of here," Abby said to Walt, grabbing hold of the net and beginning to pull. The Camerupt did not budge. She released the net and examined the situation. She remembered reading somewhere that the average Camerupt weighed about 485 pounds.

Void_Nugget

Previously Shadow_Pup
Lorenzo looked around Pewter City, it seemed nice. Next to him Shadow pounced at a passerby frightening them, "Shadow, how many times, these people aren't threat, no-one in the place, unless they're from Alola, should even know who I am, so chill out will you". Ginger yawn from on his shoulder and accidentally kicked Lorenzo in the face, it didn't really bother Lorenzo. He knelt down and checked the items he had packed, his mic/headset for singing, his stage outfit, some food, pokeballs and a map. He zipped his bag back up and looked around, he saw a girl sitting on a bench. He walked over and said "hello there, I like you Litten, their from Alola aren't they?"

Skylar gasped, “Lorenzo?” She stood up and stretched out her hand, “It’s a pleasure!” She chuckled, “Oh.. I’m sorry.. I’m from Alola, I think your performing is amazing!” She petted the Eevee and Frogadier, “Your two are very cute, aswell.” She smiled, pointing to Litten, “Yep, he’s my Litten, alright. That’s also my Alolan Meowth.” She said, pointing to her Meowth which was staring into Lorenzo’s pockets. “Protect your wallet, Lorenzo!”

"Leo, Water Gun directly below you!" Zander announced as Geodude made his reintroduction onto the field. In the blink of an eye, Leo had fired off a high pressure Water Gun aimed at his feet, propelling him through the air just as Geodude reached his previous location.

"Yes! Now Leo, your eyes, clear them with your tail!" Zander felt a flicker of excitement as Leo barely managed to evade Geodude's Tackle, his commands fell out in a smooth sequence with no hesitation, almost as if Zander himself was the one out on the battlefield.

"Wag....wag..." Leo mumbled in a gruff tone as he unsteadily landed a few feet away from Geodude, curling his tail up under his body before using it to wipe the mud away from its face. One of his eyes was still clenched shut due to the stinging sensation of mud in the eye, but he could see nonetheless.

"Bubble Beam one last time!" Zander roared with his pokemon in unison as a stream of explosive bubbles were blasted towards Geodude at max power.

Walt, hearing Agent White marvel at his Camerupt capture, gave a sheepish grin, but there was no way that he would admit to how accidental the encounter was and how Red was actually the one who weakened it. The two criminals tugged feverishly at the net in which Camerupt was still thrashing about in, but their struggles were futile. The large fire Pokemon was just too heavy to move. Walt glanced over at Red, who was still furiously battling, and turned back to Abby and said:
"This Camerupt's not worth the risk of getting blown to bits by Red. C'mon, let's regroup with Tracer."

Petrel held up his communicator and whispered quickly to the others:
"I'm going in. You guys help prepare the escape. I'll handle that Deerling kid."
Still disguised as the Snagem Admin Ein, Petrel walked up confidently to the other Admin, Dakim, and said:
"Hey Dakim, you see that trainer over there, with the Deerling? He seems to be watching us. If he runs to authority, that's no good, so stop him for me will ya? I would do it myself, you see, but my Pokemon are all tired out."

Dakim stared incredulously at Ein-Petrel, as though he couldn't quite process the words that had just come out of his mouth.

"Have you lost your mind?" he finally roared, pointing emphatically to his pokemon. Marshtomp lay motionless in a Snorlax-shaped crater, while Golem floated limply in a cave-pool of Blastoise's Hydro Pump. "Can't you see I'm out of pokemon? We were nowhere near ready for this! What was Gonzap thinking?"

His face was pale in the dim light, betraying the fear that his normally-proud features masked. Dakim was a big man, even rivaling Gonzap in size, and the strong arm of Cipher. Just as Ein was the brains, and Venus, the charisma, Dakim lived to overpower. Now, however, he found himself grossly overpowered, staring down the twin barrels of a water cannon. Too late, he was learning that just one of Red's pokemon might have been sufficient to obliterate every Cipher and Snagem member in the cave. He and his team had brought the numbers, and no less than four administrators at once, anticipating the level of threat that Red represented.

They had miscalculated. Numbers meant nothing to the Master who had beaten Blue.

At this point in time, unconscious bodies of humans and pokemon alike lay strewn about the stone floor of Mt. Moon. Metang, Golem, Huntail, Golbat, Marshtomp, Lanturn, Altaria, Camerupt, Skarmory, Gloom, Shiftry, Pinsir, Hariyama- all names of passing mention, all as useless as they were from the beginning of Snagem's foolish endeavor. The only battle still in question was the only one that had mattered since the fight broke out. Charizard and Pikachu had afforded each other no quarter nor mercy, but each continued blasting the other with elemental energy that dazzled the eyes and caused the temperature to skyrocket. Red's other pokemon now closed in around the two combatants, forming a ring to restrain the still-berserk Shadow Pikachu. Lethal as its electric attacks were, Pikachu would not be able to handle fellow pokemon in its own league.

Red lifted his eyes at last from his pokemon, and found Gonzap as the Snagem boss backed slowly away toward his Cipher associates. The air around him was hazy with heat, to the point that his image seemed to ripple, but Red gave no sign of discomfort. If looks could kill, the expression on his face might have sublimated Gonzap to particles, right on the spot. There was almost nothing between them now- one or two pokemon, maybe people- and Red would be upon him.

Just outside of the Mount Moon tunnel entrance, Tracer brought the car screeching up to the side of the curb, leaving tread marks on the water-slickened path. He blared the horn, throwing subtlety to the wind, desiring nothing now but to get away before the monster within the cave emerged. "Tracer to Team!" he barked into the radio, his blood pulsing in his ears, "what the hell is the holdup? If Red catches any of you, you're dead! Get OUT here!"

Geodude's rocky body restricted any swift movements and it was hit head on by Leo's Bubble Beam. The Pokémon momentarily spun out in the air from the impact before crashing to the muddy ground, fainted.

"Return, Geodude," Brock called, holding a Poké Ball towards the battlefield. He successfully guised any disappointment in his voice.

"I'm impressed, to say the least," he said to Zander, folding his arms across his torso. "I may have overestimated my own strength, but you've clearly trained your Pokémon well. In turn, you've earned this Boulder Badge."

Brock reached into the pocket of his pants and unfolded his fist to reveal a small silver octagon. He offered it to Zander.
- - -

"Tracer to Team! What the hell is the holdup? If Red catches any of you, you're dead! Get OUT here!"

Abby shook her head in discomfort and released her grip on the net as Tracer's voice screeched through the radio. She sighed and quickly patted her pockets to ensure that she still had all of her gear. (She didn't want any Snagem grunts to get ahold of any Rocket technology she left behind by accident.)

"You're right, let's get out of here," she said, slinking back into the shadows of the cavern.

She began to climb the cavern wall to retrace her steps to the entrance of Mt. Moon. As her sneakers scraped against the rocky face of the inside of the cave, the ground underneath her gave way and a small collection of stones and sediments tumbled to the floor. Abby gritted her teeth and shut her eyes tight as the rocks clattered across the ground and a hot wave of fear washed over her entire body. With a sudden burst of adrenaline and her muscles burning, she managed to pull herself onto the ledge. She slowly turned her head to meet the gaze of Red, who had momentarily turned his attention away from his battle to inspect the crashing noise behind him.

The color drained from Abby's face as she came to the realization that this Trainer could simply burn her to a crisp if he felt so inclined. Then again, it was unlikely that he would use his Pokémon to attack another person. She expected him to catch her and turn her in to the authorities immediately for theft, conspiracy, and a number of other charges.

All Abby could think to do was put her hands up as a sign of helplessness. Her eyes didn't leave Red's. He suddenly turned away, electing to deal with his Pikachu first. Abby heaved a sigh of relief and scrambled towards the exit, her palms slick with sweat from nerves. Her heart pounded as she boarded the truck without a word to either of her comrades.

It's not like he didn't know who I am, she thought, looking down at the blood red 'R' on her shirt and feeling an unexpected rush of shame. Why did he let me go?

Zander's face lit up when Geodude spun out, but only for a moment, as his attention was quickly shifted towards Brock, who seemed a bit more tense than he had been when Zander had first arrived.

"Great job Leo, now take a break bud." He spoke in a quite yet warm tone, giving his partner a wink as he returned the small Poliwag to its Pokeball. He slowly approached Brock and stared at the hardened man for a moment, breaking the dragging tension with a smile as he took the Badge from Brock, shaking his hand in the process.

"Im well aware that most gym leaders our forced to hold back, as to give newer trainers a chance at claiming there first few victories. Id like to battle you again someday, but not as a gym leader. Just a good old trainer match. And I expect you to use your personal team." The young trainer added rather abruptly, realizing its probably been awhile since this low-level gym leader has had a chance to really go all out. He figured the older man could use a refreshing match as such, and he'd love to see what Brock was really capable of one day.

"Anyways, thank you for the match. See ya' around!" He shouted in a bit more of a light-hearted tone whilst making a swift exit from the Pewter City Gym, giving the gym leader a quick wave as he did so.

~~~~

After a few brief minutes of walking the rocky roads of Pewter City, Zander had arrived at the pokemon center, giving Nurse Joy a large smile as he stepped through the door.

"Good evening Zander, how did the gym match go?" The head nurse asked, already knowing of Zander from his previous visits post-Minus training. The two had talked quite a bit as Zander was eager to learn what little tips and tricks Nurse Joy was willing to give him about pokemon first-aid when far away from a center or town.

"It went great, take a look." The shaggy haired boy said in a sly tone, flashing his shiny new gym badge.

"Thats great to hear! Congratulations on your victory. Hows your team doing, care for me to take a look at them?" The pink haired nurse replied with a bright smile, sliding a pokeball tray from underneath the counter.

"Yeah, thatd be great. Im gonna go relax for awhile, thanks Nurse Joy!" Zander slipped his pokeballs from his pocket and placed them on the tray Nurse Joy was holding out, before heading over to the large, fluffy sofa in the corner of the waiting center. Within minutes, the once energy filled young man was snoring heavily, the soft cushions of the sofa managing to knock him out with ease.