• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Welcome to the World of Pokémon!: Kanto (Sign-Up/Discussion)

So what's gonna happen to Skipper and Beetle? I personally wouldn't mind having Skipper get stolen but only if it's later on in the story. I'm planning on at least having Skipper make an egg with a woobat that Jakobi catches in the nearest cave. I'm fine with Skipper failing or succeeding in saving Beetle, but I would want permission from @VaporeonVortex.

It comes down to her. I put my character in the most favorable position I can think up for stealing, but ultimately, the decision rests with the target. As long as you tell a good story, I'm fine with however it pans out.

Just to clear up a few things with my last post, as far as Alex knows, Walt is innocent. Being that he was in the pit, he hadn't seen the attack and, therefore, it just looks like Grant is attacking his friend to him.

Wow, I think it's actually pretty cool that you had Alex react in that way. It IC makes a lot of sense, and could potentially change the situation quite a bit. Good post dude! ^-^

I'll be posting later, since I wasn't able to do so yesterday because of work/irl stuff. Devon doesn't need to ride with Blue, so you guys can. Him being in Viridian forest for a while will also give me a chance to catch his second Pokémon.

It depends whose going to go on foot and whose going to fly. It's not necessarily a story segment but more of a fun side quest. Not everyone has to participate if they don't want to, but it will involve some Bug Catchers. I'll probably get to that in my next post once Blue has left everyone in the forest.

If whoever else is planning to take a ride on Pidgeot doesn't make a post soon, do you guys think it would be okay for me to say that my character already took the ride? This wouldn't mean that the other players who were planning to can't since everything technically happens in past tense. But I just wanted to get the ok to do it, cause it might be considered autoing? Even though I don't intend it to be.

That's fine by me.

Just a quick update, I'm going to try to get a post up tonight, but I have an exam tomorrow afternoon and I have rehearsals later, so it might have to wait until tomorrow. Regardless, I'm going to to give it a shot.

I'm going to try to post tomorrow, but I have three exams this week.

Also, just a head's up, I will be away this weekend visiting my girlfriend and likely will not have access to a computer. I could try to log in on my phone, but I won't be able to make any lengthy, detailed posts.

I plan on having Alex make it to Pewter by the next post. Sorry for the hold up, I had a busy week.

Also, as far as the museum robbery goes, Pewter's law enforcement is vastly underprepared to deal with the issue. (Towns usually rely on Gym Leaders to resolve most of their problems with this, hence the severe lack of Officer Jenny's in the region.) Since Brock is distracted with a battle, there is no one to really stop the agents.

About time they get away with a flawless mission. Usually there's always a drawback. And maybe and attempt to cover the fossils could be a small arc of the characters.

I was thinking something along the lines of this:
  1. Onix gets hit by Ancient Power
  2. Onix retaliates with Rock Throw
  3. Chikorita gets hit and badly damaged
  4. Chikorita fires another Ancient Power, getting the stat boosts
  5. Onix gets hit again and fires Sandstorm attack
  6. Chikorita uses the boosted defense to tank the attack and uses boosted speed to get close to Onix
  7. Close-range Razor Leaf faints Onix
The problem is, this would take a long time to execute

I would say definitely finish the battle, otherwise it's going to be a bother to have to go back and do it later. Also, since I believe Alex is the only coordinator still active in this roleplay, I may just make him decide to battle Gyms. (Not entirely sure what I'm going to do yet. It seems like the Contests may take a while the way I designed them, and I really don't want them to drag on.)

You could also have Jakoboi take control of Brock since he is technically an NPC, that way he could finish his battle in one post. It's up to you guys, though.

I would say definitely finish the battle, otherwise it's going to be a bother to have to go back and do it later. Also, since I believe Alex is the only coordinator still active in this roleplay, I may just make him decide to battle Gyms. (Not entirely sure what I'm going to do yet. It seems like the Contests may take a while the way I designed them, and I really don't want them to drag on.)

You could also have Jakoboi take control of Brock since he is technically an NPC, that way he could finish his battle in one post. It's up to you guys, though.

Yeah I could just control Brock.

I was thinking of joining as this rp has some great structure, but it seems a bit crowded already.

Have you had many/any fallouts or people who've simply failed to join after being accepted?

Also, have you made much progress story-wise?

@Mystic Zander:

As of right now, there are only about five or six active players. The number of people who post relatively consistently is lower.

As for the story, it has mostly consisted of battles against the evil teams and general journey preparations. Most of the characters are either just exiting Viridian Forest or getting things done in Pewter City. No one has any Gym badges yet.

If you'd like to join, you can have your character either meet the others in Pewter or have him/her be a Pewter local who also happens to be a Trainer and hopes to embark on a journey.

@Mystic Zander:

As of right now, there are only about five or six active players. The number of people who post relatively consistently is lower.

As for the story, it has mostly consisted of battles against the evil teams and general journey preparations. Most of the characters are either just exiting Viridian Forest or getting things done in Pewter City. No one has any Gym badges yet.

If you'd like to join, you can have your character either meet the others in Pewter or have him/her be a Pewter local who also happens to be a Trainer and hopes to embark on a journey.

Okay cool. That numbers not as high as I expected. Ill work on an oc sheet and have it up in awhile.
I'm assuming if that's the case, I'm not required to possess a pokedex then?
Never been a giant fan. Everyone acts as if there so special, when it seems like every trainer gets one.

@Mystic Zander, of course not! While the roleplay does follow a "plot" or sorts, it is very much up to the players to control the story. I think that sandbox elements blend well with standard Pokémon journey RPs, as it doesn't force everyone to just go through the motions and relive the same story we've heard a million times from this franchise. Your character could simply just have decided that he doesn't want to complete the Pokédex or that he prefers battling over catching and gathering data.

Name: Zander Grey
Role: Adventurer- Zander has a broad goal when it comes to Pokémon. He simply wants to be the very best. While gym badges are his main goal, he'll except any challenge and make any detour along the way in the effort to explore, learn, and grow. (Hope this is okay. I kinda smashed Traveler and Trainer together)
Hometown: Viridian City, Kanto

Appearance: Wild ash grey hair pushed back and to the left, stopping just above his emerald green eyes. A set of dark brown goggles with black lenses rest on his forehead, keeping his bangs out of his face. He's slightly above average height with a semi-athletic build and sun-kissed skin due to lots of exposure to the outside world. He often wears a plain white t-shirt with a thin faded black hoodie. Said hoodie has the sleeves rolled up to just below the elbow and is left partially unzipped. As for pants, he wears well made, dark blue jeans for comfort. For feet, a pair of black slick-proof sneakers with white trim. And for his last item, a faded grey backpack slung over his left shoulder.
Personality: Zander's a complex character. His attitude towards individual people may shift in a moments notice for no apparent reason. He's highly observant, and likely a bit to analytical about most of his decisions. Other than that, he's pretty much your average trainer, enthusiastic and determined, yet free spirit and a bit mischievous.
Brief Background: His parents are your typical working class citizens who both opted for a normal life over one filled with battling and adventures. From a young age, Zander and his older brother Al knew they wanted to be different, and they didnt mind starting from scratch. His brother Al has nearly ten years on him and was already and elite trainer and Pokémon breeder by the time Zander began his journey. Not only that, Al's most recent achievement, managing to tie against Elite 4 member Agatha, has only sparked a greater desire in Zander to become powerful. This journey is all or nothing for him, become the best at everything he faces.
Other: N/A

Pokémon
Nickname:
Leo (Leonardo)
Species: Poliwag
Ability: Water Absorb- Heals 1/4 of health when hit with water type attacks.
Moves: Refresh, Water Pulse, Pound, Hypnosis
Backstory: Was specifically breed for Zander by his older brother and was given to him directly after hatching. Lifelong pals and equally determined to prove there stuff.

Name: Minus
Species: Magnemite
Ability: Sturdy- Can survive any initial attack, no matter how devastating.
Moves: Supersonic, Thuder Shock, Thunder Wave, Sonic Boom
Backstory: Found this little guy wrapped in a live capable on the way to Pewter. Likely overloaded himself with electricity. Zander captured him and healed him up, gaining the mons' trust easily after that.

Last edited:
@Mystic Zander: Accepted!

Here's a new character I am going to play alongside Alex to make things more interesting. I decided to go with a girl since we have a lot of dude characters:

Name: Abigail White
Role: Team Rocket Agent
Hometown: Veilstone City

Appearance: Abby inherited an extremely thin frame, pale skin, and very low muscle tone from her parents. She is very slightly above the average height for her age, at 5'6," and has short-cropped blond hair that falls in soft waves, though always looks a bit greasy. She is not exactly a tomboy, but certainly puts less of a focus on her appearance that some of her other female counterparts. She often elects to not wear any sort of makeup, especially when on missions. Although her lightly freckled face has somewhat of a natural attractiveness, she would hardly turn any heads. Abby has an extreme overbite, due to never having any correctional dentistry appliances like braces, which is evident when she smiles. She has light blue eyes.

In her clothing, Abby dresses mostly for function while also not wanting to appear suspicious. She wears a white ringer tee shirt with indigo collar and sleeve bands. It has an Andy Warhol-esque graphic on the front. She also wears high-waisted denim shorts, which are ripped for style, and plain white canvas sneakers. For any Team Rocket-related work, she owns a standard grunt uniform.

Personality: Abby's general disposition, especially when it comes to her relationship with Team Rocket, can be summed up in three words: incompetent but trying. She means well, but struggles to perform as flawlessly as other members when it comes to tasks that require sharp or difficult decision-making, or quick-wittedness. She is habitually upbeat and talkative, her inclination to being social sharply contrasting her criminal profession. Abby is typically well-liked by those who know her, but is careless in nature. She strives to strike a balance between her morals and her job.

Brief Background: Abby's upbringing was far from glamorous, born into a poor family living on the outskirts of Veilstone City. Despite their bleak situation, her parents ensured that they instilled good values in her and her brother, and their small house, though old and dilapidated, was always filled with love and support. Her mother attempted to keep their family afloat by working overnight shifts at the Veilstone Department Store, but her father would simply gamble away any money earned at the Game Corner. Much of Abby's childhood was filled with fear as strange people, typically bookies, would come and go from their house at all hours, engaging in loud altercations with her parents. There was a general tenseness in the house at all times, which is why she spent as much time outside as possible.

Playing in the forests and marshes around Veilstone, Abby developed a love for athletic activity. In particular, she became adept at skateboarding, spending her time learning how to capably maneuver about in the alleyways and parks of the city. (She now always carries her skateboard in her backpack, realizing that, if needed, it could even serve as a method of escape.)

As she grew older, Abby's became preoccupied with thoughts of her future. She was tired of living in a household with such abundant destructive behavior. After a tip off from a man who often hung out near the Game Corner, she was able to get in contact with Team Rocket executives in Kanto. Abby decided to travel to the region without a word to her family, believing she was certainly capable enough to handle herself. In her eyes, doing jobs with Team Rocket may be the only way she can escape a life of potential poverty.

Pokémon
Spr_5b_215_f.png

Nickname: Mistral
Ability: Inner Focus
Moves: Scratch, Leer, Taunt, Ice Punch
Backstory: On her way from Sinnoh to Kanto, Abby was able to perform her first robbery at a Pokémon Daycare in Johto, escaping with a Sneasel egg that she stored in her backpack. When Mistral hatched, her mischievous nature allowed her to instantly bond with her Trainer.

Last edited:
Cool.
Hey lemme ask, are you going with an AU Team Rocket? Because I feel like we as a group could expand on there goals/feats a lot more and make them an actual threat.
Also partially because I wanted to make a grunt who works there way up the ranks rather quick. Hehe

Also, since the the gym leaders, townsfolk, etc are the same, will Red or....Ash or anyone like the such be apart of this timeline?

In my mind, the world in the roleplay exists within its own universe. However, it mostly operates according to the laws laid down by the canon Pokémon universe. (Ex. While Team Rocket are dangerous criminals, they won't go around threatening small children with guns or, to bring it to an even more extreme, killing people just to steal their Pokémon.) However, I do like the idea that their goals could be expanded, especially since many of us are playing as members!

Red does exist in this timeline! This roleplay takes place a few years after Red and Blue had defeated the Pokémon League. So the Team Rocket in the story is more of a Neo-Rocket. As of right now, Giovanni's whereabouts are unknown.

Think I'll hold off on my intro post till your groups exited the forest. People seem to be spaced out a bit so I'll wait for group arrival before stepping in.

I'd actually like to intro via being in the middle of a gym challenge with Brock. Is someone else okay with playing Brock? Not a fan of battling myself.

@Mystic Zander, I'm probably going to have Alex lose to Brock on his first try, so if you'd like it can happen then.

@LFS, I like how you're fleshing out Red's character. However, being that Team Snagem is an underground organization in Kanto for the most part, I don't see any reason why they'd openly invite an extremely strong Trainer to their base if it wasn't a trap. ;) (*hint, hint*)

@Wapiti I was thinking we could have the team rocket stuff come up as an alert in the pokemon centre, which could be how our characters come to learn about it. We don't really have to get involved if you don't want to, but it would be good for them to know about the event.

@Jakoboi once your gym battle is over, you could meet us in the pokemon centre or over by the museum if we do decide to investigate.

Hey everyone, just your friendly neighborhood GM here. So as I said earlier, I’m away this weekend and my girlfriend’s school doesn’t let guests connect to the wi-fi with personal laptops, so I won’t be able to post until Sunday.

@SombreSkies, I agree with that. Perhaps a panicked onlooker could come in and say something to Nurse Joy or ask her to call for law enforcement backup? (I imagine that Nurse Joys have some connections.)

@Wapiti I realize you wont see this till tomorrow or so, but I figured I should still mention I wanna go ahead and add a second pokemon to my team and claim I got it on the journey from Viridian to Pewter City, so ive got a better chance against Brock.
Ill just edit it onto the sheet for now, but if you'd prefer I add the capture to my first post, id be happy to oblige. Just let me know the next chance your free.