• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Weird things about Pokemon

What are some weird things you've learned about Pokemon, or from Pokemon. I'll start.

1) Isn't it kinda creepy that when a Kangaskhan hatches out of an egg, it HAS A BABY VERSION OF ITSELF IN ITS POUCH! And the baby never grows up or hatches out of its own egg.

2) Apparently, pokemon that live in the water can survive on land for an infinite period of time.

3) It's OK for ten year olds to run around a bunch of cities all alone with super-powered creatures that can kill them and do anything they want.

4) It's impossible to jump over small rocks. You have to break them.

5) You can breathe underwater as long as you have a pokemon that can dive.

6) You can fly anywhere even if you're on top of a bird about the size of your hand.

Your turn!

I always wondered out the Dive and Fly. :p How about....

You buy stuff for a somewhat high price, and you sell it for half as much.
The overworld sprite for the Veteran in Pokemon Diamond is a bald old man with a long, white beard, however, the battle sprite is a somewhat young looking man with no beard and long, grayish-black hair.
In Pokemon Red, Blue, Green and Yellow, there are no genders.
Larvitar and Pupitar sound like they would be part bug, but they are Rock-Ground if I remember right.
You can breed any Pokemon with Ditto as long as it has a gender, even though Ditto doesn't have a gender.

I've got some:

1) A pokemon can ride on water anytime, but for the main character to surf the pokemon has to learn a move!
2) When you breed some marowak, how come cubone has a dead mother?
3) In platinum someone gives you a villa for no reason.
4) Pokemon have the power to destroy all humans and rule a pokemon-only world, but for some reason they don't :-\

There are so many unrealistic things in pokemon, but I guess it's only a game...

I still find it weird that Spheres, which seem upon initial inspection to be shiny rocks, grow when you bury them. Rocks don't grow if you bury them! What's going on here?

Also, I think that there was literally ONE mention of a human hospital in Pokemon... an episode in one of the earlier seasons. I mean, you'd think that people would get hurt if the world is mostly populated by ten year olds running around freely.

Also, if a Pokemon attack misses its target in a trainer battle, wouldn't it hit the other trainer? I honestly don't think that I could survive a Hyper Beam.

There's more, but that's all I'll say for now.

I also don't get why there are five spheres, four of which being colors, the other being a shape. Also, why is it that to get a Blue Tent, you have to use a Prism Sphere, not a Blue Sphere? :\

The Underground is full of weird things. Like those guys that sell traps and items for spheres.... Where did they get that stuff? Why are they selling it? It's like someone's trying to make their own Underground economy...

Also, if a Pokemon attack misses its target in a trainer battle, wouldn't it hit the other trainer? I honestly don't think that I could survive a Hyper Beam.

You'd have to doge the attack too XD

(Brock in the opening song for the 'Rise of Darkrai' he has to dodge a flamethrower =p)

It's weird that you can't climb up small ledges. (the one way ones =p)

1) If a legendary pokemon [I[faints[/I], it disappears.
2) The god of all pokemon that created the entire universe can be captured by a ten year old kid using a normal pokeball, and then the pokemon obeys the kid without trying to escape.
3) Kids are allowed to gamble as long as they have a case to keep their winnings in.
4) Huge evil organizations can be destroyed by a ten year old kid with little creatures kept in spheres.
5) Sometimes, crushing a tiny bug under a huge boulder doesn't beat them.
6) If you spray a pokemon, it'll be healed!

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member

You mean like this?
comic120.jpg

I *heart* Awkward Zombie. It's a comic about video games, mainly Nintendo ones plus occasional World of Warcraft :D.

People drop the weirdest most valuable things.

How does the pokemon center afford all of its equipment it healing is always free?

How do you kill a pokemon if all they do is faint?

What is in that egg Chansey carries around (you'd think it would go bad)?

Every time you go into a town/city you see the same people standing there, don't these people have things to do?!?

You can walk into someone's house and they don't mind.

People are bizzarely generous.

When a Galactic Grunt wants to stop you, they don't apprehend you. They battle you.

Once you have defeated the champion, they still think they're the champion.

Some pokemon's crys sound like electronic beeps, whereas some sound much more like an animal.

Hmm ... I can think of several things off the top of my head.

In the climax battles of the game, how do you not accidentally kill off one another's pokemon?

In any criminal organization around the Pokemon globe, the members never actually stop you. All they do is battle you, rather than do the smart thing (anotherwords, putting you temporarily out of commission).

Those are just for starters. *shrug*

To be honest, I always wondered why pokemon like Machoke and Graveler only evolve through trading. I know the feature was added by Nintendo to influence trading between games, but how does that actually work?

There is also the great difference between the bad guys of the anime and the ones of the game. Like many already said, the galactic goons only battle, rather than the smart thing (which is anything apart from running away like cowards). While, in the anime, the operations of Team Galactic is so well thoughtout, everything is divided into mission phases like in the military. They have helicopters, and other vehicles at their disposal in the anime, while everyone has to walk in the game. And most importantly, Cyrus and the commanders were smart enough to not give pokemon to their grunts just so they could toy about with ten-year-old kids.

Speaking of vehicles, why aren't there any of those in the game, excluding the ships dotted around, the moving lorry in R/S/E and the magnet train (which I only just realized was a tibit of the only recently created Maglev Trains in Japan), there are no cars or trucks. The previously mentioned vehicles only goes to prove that they're around here somewhere, but where?

Spin off of previous: Cars... did come before ultra-powerful, high-tech computers... right?

Last, but not the least, Johto introduced the making of pokeballs through apricorns, which is some sort of fruit or nut (I personally believed them to look like pine cones). Isn't it a little odd that you can take something growing from a tree, carve it, hollow it, add some technology, then use it as a portable case for a giant Wailord or Tyranitar? Something about that... doesn't sound right...

I've got more!

1) You can walk into someone's house and watch there TV and they don't mind.
2) Some people give you items/TMs etc. for no reason.
3) You are only allowed 4 moves for each pokemon.

Hmm.. forget just watching their TVs, whatever you find in the house is yours. I don't see how it's not stealing.

Also: Note how there are plenty of different areas that, in real life, are pretty dangerous (the Electric Plant from RBY, some of the Shipyard areas in RSE, not to mention the Fuego Ironworks in DPP), but in the game, a ten year old can run around in them with no supervision. Better yet, some of them have fun warpy-arrow panels that, in real life, would just be a horrible idea.

On another topic, you'd think that areas like Iron Island and Oreburgh Mine would be a lot darker... usually mines aren't well-lit or fun places to be. And you'd think that Oreburgh would be pretty darn polluted from all of the coal processing...

I'll probably think up more later.

Hey, I can think of a few ...

1.In buildings you're allowed to raid bins, even if it is a house, and take whatever you find. Not only would that be pretty darn disgusting, but if there's something valuable then maybe theft?

2. How the hell can you store giant animals in a simple PC?

3. Although you apparently have to be 10 to actually be a Pokemon trainer, there are little kiddies, looking age 4-6, running around on the beaches with Pokemon. What?

4. However much you damage the Pokemon, there is no blood. 'The hell?

I could probably think of many more, but I'm tired just now. (Where I am, it's nearly midnight!)

Quick note: Has anyone actually watched the DPP TV for a long period of time? They've got some weird shows. The Pokemon Variety Hour is insanely lulzy.

Another quick note: Gym Leaders who are at the Battleground can simultaneously also be at their Gym and at your Villa. I know, for the games it's the fact that the Battleground is controlled by a random number generator, and I bet there had to be some reason why the programmers didn't put a line in saying "if the Gym Leader is here, then they cannot be anywhere else"... But it's still odd.

And why, at three in the morning, are people in Hearthome still pushing their children around in strollers?

4. However much you damage the Pokemon, there is no blood. 'The hell?

This is a very good question, actually. (I mentioned something similar in my earlier post, though you make it clearer.)

I guess my version of Pokemon Fanfictions or PRP is considered Dark for the PKMN fandom, but mainly because the happy-go-lucky theme and lack of logic goes out the window, XD. But, I guess that just isn't in my current writing-line. 'Dark' Pokemon literature all the way. :D

Anyway, if an attacking pokemon has an extremely powerful attack, logic dictates it should draw at least a little blood. Not come off without a scratch.

[quote author=SineCosineTangent link=topic=6528.msg113703#msg113703 date=1247775028]
And why, at three in the morning, are people in Hearthome still pushing their children around in strollers?

XD

I guess for the same reason the kids are still in school in Jubilife City at three in the morning.
[/quote]

Or why there are still the little kids running on the beach at three in the morning...
And what about those little ninja kids that just, sit in the ground and wait for you to step on them...? I know there's one near Mt. Coronet I haven't stepped on yet -- does he just lie in wait 24/7?

1) How does putting a CD on a Pokemon's forehead teach them a move?
2) Why can a ten year old kid stop evil organizations, but not the police, who are fully trained and everything?
3) Why can't a Pokemon cut down a small tree until it learns Cut? I mean, what if already knows Slash or something?

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
In an effort to answer ALL of these questions I will just say......

A wizard did it.

This is a somewhat SPAMmish post. Short, Pointless, and Annoying. It doesn't add anything to the thread, and it isn't even funny. (We don't *have* wizards in the Pokemon universe!). You can do better. Consider yourself warned.

One for the anime:
You can basically survive any explosion, no matter how intense

A few for the game:
After you beat the Galatic Grunts in a battle, they just stand there like an idiot. Wouldnt it be better to just throw me into a dungeon or a metal box? I mean come on! If only i was able to steal their clothing. They'd still just stand there....butt naked. Twirling around like theyre dancing if i left the room and came back.

Which brings me to another point, when all my pokemon faint, i rush to the pokemon center. The trainers that i beat dont. They just stand there...being idiots. Makes me feel sorry for their pokemon.

Which brings me to another point, when all my pokemon faint, i rush to the pokemon center. The trainers that i beat dont. They just stand there...being idiots. Makes me feel sorry for their pokemon.
On that note you can run around without leaving their sight and then use the Vs. Seeker to fight them again. I just figure they carry a lot of revives and stuff.

It's said that if two trainers lock eyes, they must battle. But then how come you have to be as close to some trainers as possible before they battle you? Do they have terrible eye-sight?

Also, who puts items in pokeballs then leaves them on the ground?

Why don't fire type moves cause gas pokemon like Gastly to blow up?

If pokemon like Arceus, Palkia, and Dialga are said to be legends, meaning that just about nothing is known about them including whether they exist or not, how come there's a bunch of info about them in the Pokedex? Isn't it only supposed to include info that's known to be true?

How come in some regions, hatching an egg from two Magmar cause a Magmar to hatch, and in other regions, a Magby hatches?

Why do some Pokemon only evolve as a result of trading? Do they gain a bunch of experience from that? Do they just like the other person a whole lot more?

And why don't you get to keep the Pokeball?

And now I feel like debating you.
[quote author=lizardman974 link=topic=6528.msg114657#msg114657 date=1248370195]
[/quote]
Not all gases are easily combustible.

How come in some regions, hatching an egg from two Magmar cause a Magmar to hatch, and in other regions, a Magby hatches?
[/quote]
That's actually just plain untrue. Magby was introduced in Gen. II at the same time breeding was introduced. When you go back to Kanto in Gen. III and breed in the Sevii Islands you will still get a Magby.

Why do some Pokemon only evolve as a result of trading? Do they gain a bunch of experience from that? Do they just like the other person a whole lot more?
[/quote]
Maybe there is a specific type of radiation that the trading machines exert that triggers some special effects.

Good point. What i wonder is how Mew can learn all TM/HMs while Mewtwo cant, even though it said to be almost exactly like Mew. Also, whats the point about Zangoose and Seviper having a huge fight. There hasn't been a reason for it.

[quote author=arrowriver link=topic=6528.msg114009#msg114009 date=1248016975]
On that note you can run around without leaving their sight and then use the Vs. Seeker to fight them again. I just figure they carry a lot of revives and stuff.
[/quote]
Yes, but if they carry a lot of Revives/Hyper Potions/Elixirs etc. then why don't they ever use them in battle? (I mean, the Gym Leaders/Elite Four do, but normal trainers we're talking about here.)

[quote author=Xatu link=topic=6528.msg114181#msg114181 date=1248106070]
[quote author=arrowriver link=topic=6528.msg114009#msg114009 date=1248016975]
[/quote]
Yes, but if they carry a lot of Revives/Hyper Potions/Elixirs etc. then why don't they ever use them in battle? (I mean, the Gym Leaders/Elite Four do, but normal trainers we're talking about here.)
[/quote]

The rich kids will use them in battle. Everyone else is just trying to see if they can pull off the battle without the items because they don't want to go out and buy more. Notice the amount of money they have on them when they end the battle.

And why don't you get to keep the Pokeball?
Good point.
And now I feel like debating you.
[/quote]
Not all gases are easily combustible.
You win this round! >:(
[/quote]
That's actually just plain untrue. Magby was introduced in Gen. II at the same time breeding was introduced. When you go back to Kanto in Gen. III and breed in the Sevii Islands you will still get a Magby.
Fine. How about this: How come in Gen. I, breeding two Magmar hatched another Magmar instead of a Magby? I mean, like you said, if you go back there later on, it hatches into Magby.
[/quote]
Maybe there is a specific type of radiation that the trading machines exert that triggers some special effects.
And this only affects certain pokemon. Of course. That makes perfect sense.
[/quote]

Fine. How about this: How come in Gen. I, breeding two Magmar hatched another Magmar instead of a Magby? I mean, like you said, if you go back there later on, it hatches into Magby.
I would really like to see you breed something, anything, in Gen. I

[quote author=lizardman974 link=topic=6528.msg114668#msg114668 date=1248372116]
[/quote]
Humans are very heavily affected by nuclear radiation, while cockroaches are seemingly immune to it. Why can't different species react differently to the same sort of radiation?

[quote author=lizardman974 link=topic=6528.msg114668#msg114668 date=1248372116]
Humans are very heavily affected by nuclear radiation, while cockroaches are seemingly immune to it. Why can't different species react differently to the same sort of radiation?
[/quote]

It could also have something to do with how their molecules are realigned.

How about....

There is indeed plenty of info about Arceus on the Pokedex even though no one even knows if it is real.
Arceus is supposedly "The Pokemon God", even though the original Pokemon God is Mew. Satan was trying to be just like God, does that mean Arceus is Satan? :O

Tailon

Gryffindork
It's said that if two trainers lock eyes, they must battle. But then how come you have to be as close to some trainers as possible before they battle you? Do they have terrible eye-sight?
On that note, apparently trainers can sense your presence from several feet away even while you're dashing by at top speed on a bike, and still get a chance to turn and see you

The only time I've had to walk right up to a trainer to battle them is when they'd otherwise block the path if they came right up to you XD