• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Warming up to the new Pokemon yet?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm bored, so you get to read my random thoughts.

When some of the new Pokemon were revealed, a lot of people bashed them for whatever reason. This wasn't just here, either. You'll see it on any Pokemon website - heck, even non-Pokemon websites like LJ and DA had rants about the newbies. You know this in your heart to be true.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but I've warmed up to most all of the new Pokemon now. There aren't a lot of them that I still want to stab with a pitch fork. Most of the ones I hated I'm either neutral on now or actually rather like - like Pochama and Penguin Knight. I blame the Anime entirely for making me love Pochama.

Anyone still rabbid about how horrid this new gen is? Watching the Anime or seeing the Sugi art helps dull the hatred. Even Stel admitted that Yettitree doesn't look so bad ;)

FYI - I can't be bothered learning the Japanese names for most of 'em :p

[attachment deleted by admin]

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I said on the first day of the entire set being revealed that I liked all of them.

Some more than others, some a fair bit less than others, but overall I'm happy.

They do have a Johto like quality to them, I feel - in that there are a few that look set to be completely overlooked ala the majority of Johto's population but... meh.

One thing I would complain about though is the fact that there are so many extensions to old lines but so relatively few new Pokemon.

Ideally, they should have done about 200 new Pokemon this generation, that way even if 40 of those were related to older ones and another dozen or so were legendaries, there'd still be 150 REALLY new Pokemon.

It's just a pity that we have so relatively few new Pokemon to last us the next 3/4 years.

I think in the process of updating my compilation desktop (which isn't going as nicely as I'd like what with so few HI-RES copies of Sugi's art floating around), I think I've found that there are plenty of new Pokémon, and, what's more, I LIKE most of them. Even though I've Action Replayed all 493 Pokémon onto my Japanese copy of Diamond, I STILL can't wait to train most of them for REAL!

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
How many more do you need to complete your desktop image, QQ? It's looking awesome so far ^^

Any initial surprises or shocks that I had when the new Pokemon were revealed - including the low amount of them and high amounts of new-evos - I've basically accepted now. Even if there's not as many as I could've hoped for, there's still enough to keep me occupied, and lots of reasons for me to retrain older Pokemon (ie. Attack system changes, altered move sets, new evolutions).

I can't wait to play Diamond and experience these guys first hand. If the way I played this past gen is any reflection of how I'll play D/P and on, I'll be aiming to train every last one of 'em at some point (minus most of the legendaries or any useless non-evolvers). Although, I'll do it by starting over much lots, not the crazy way QQ plays :p

After playing diamond these past 2 months I have definamoose warmed up to a few pokémon that previously I was completely uninspired by, however this has detracted me entirely from a few pokémon that I originally planned to train, such as Doraphion.

I am very much in love with Sukatanku.
Garmeil is warming up to be one of my favourites for this gen
My feeelings about Floatsel have not changed... I still hate it! *hides from linkachu*

I just wish there had been more entirely new pokémon... I mean giving aipom tangela and likitung new evolutions has brought them into new light for gamers, but they are pokémon that aren't overly likely to be used, evolutions for already broken pokémon such as Electabuzz and Magmar still seem very strange to me. If I could do more in the games with older pokémon I would probably enjoy some pokémon more, however currently the language barrier is proving difficult, and has lead to me spending the past 8/9 hours in the game just wandering around and playing with sweet honey...

I really like the majority of them and I like the new dual types. Some Pokemon however, are an atrocious abomination in the looks department. The evolutions of Tangela, Lickitung, and Rhydon are just bizarre looking. Elekable (sp) and Booburn (please tell me that's not the English name) are the two fugliest (4 x ugly) Pokemon I've EVER seen. My bottom jaw hit the floor in horror when I saw Gary's Elekable. :o Most of the Pokemon mentioned all probably have good stats so I'll raise all of them. I can get passed looks if the stats and attacks are good.

The starters are all pretty good. I'm really liking the grass/ground combo but Sceptile is still the best. It was a refreshing change from the other three four-legged dinos. As a matter of fact I almost wish Ash had ditched Pikachu and took Sceptile to Sinnoh. :D

R

Ryan Lisman

I love a lot, dont like a lot too though. Much better than 2nd gen, but not as good as 3rd gen :D

P

Pikachu_Master

The only name I haven't (and probably will not) warm up to is Lickylick, come on, people at Nintendo, you could've done better !

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Except this thread has to do with the PokéMon THEMSELVES, not their names. -_-

Watch where you're posting.

I really like all of the new Poke'mon.....especially Weavile. (Bet ya couldn't tell)

The only one I'm not sure about is the Shieldon line....kinda....just...iunno...weird. I like Rampardos better.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Am I in the minority of people who don't hate Shieldon?

There's also another line I've come to love by design that many dissed originally: Shellos and Gastrodon. I remember one person saying something like "It's obvious they're running out of ideas... I mean, a sea slug?!" Now all I can think is, "Yeah, and what's wrong with that?"

Slugs are cool creatures, and having Pokemon versions of 'em is just that much better. I can't wait to train the blue/green variety of Shellos/Gastrodon ^^

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Shieldon is meh but Bastiodon ftw. Rampardos is pretty fugly though, so it's not hard to get a winner from the two. :p

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Sea slugs are FTW.

Also, Alex, what's so FTW about Bastiodon? It has no speed, no attacks whatsoever, it's just... a walking (or rather, limping) armor on four legs... >>

C

Chimchar93

I love them all...i think their all so cool

I think most of em' look cool, its just thier poses...that make them look bad...Like Rampardos...I can see him being Uber cool, its just his pose makes it look like he has a Hump on his back >.>

I'm fine with the Sinnoh Fossil Pokemon, but I just don't think their abilities suit them very well. Rampardos is high-speed battering ram with the highest attack stat of any non-legendary and it's ability isn't Rock-Head!? Not mention Sturdy is very situational as the 1HKO moves rarely work anyway. Why have an ability that blocks something that has a slim chance of coming your way at all?

I'm not really. The new pokemon are kinda dull. The drawers or whatever, seemed like they lacked a little. For example Probopass, Tangela's Evo. They really didn't have to do evos for some of these pokemon, but prevos, I wouldn't mind.

Are you nuts?! Probopass just plain cracked me up when I first saw it. And it was only a menu-selection screen sprite. No matter how hard I try, I can't deny the fact that a Pokemon that resembles Mr. PotatoHead is hilarious.

a lot of the evos just plain don't look good. magmortar, lickilicky.....especially lickilicky, which is quite possibly the lamest pokemon to date. it's like a fat elvis-ified lickitung. which is quite plainly, UN-NEEDED. anywho. a lot of the pokemon look good too, but i'll talk more about that come april 22nd...

At first i had my doubts but im starting to get comfortable with them and have learned quite a few of theyre names

the one i hate and always will hate with all my heart is nosepass' new evolution probopass

the one i hate and always will hate with all my heart is nosepass' new evolution probopass

Probopass's metal shavings 'stache is slighty cute in a way. Froslass is one of the ugliest monstrosities I've ever seen. I'm not even sure why Snorunt needed a female evolution. Gligar's evo looks rabid.

how about Dusknoir, is that one we can all agree on? and i dont get something.. Happiny!? Liek... double you-Tea-Eff, Did chansey NEED a pre evolved form? same with Buddew, Bonsly and Mime Jr.... theyere running out of ideas, arent they?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Pre-evolved forms aren't created out of necessity, they're created out of marketability. Budew does help round out Roselia's line though - Roserade fits better as a third stage.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
how about Dusknoir, is that one we can all agree on?

Agree on to like or dislike? Because Dusknoir is probably one of the coolest new evolutions of the lot - along with Roserade, Leafeon, and Gallade =)

Others like Mamoswine and Yanmega I don't necessarily think look amazing, but they still interest me greatly.

very, very little. (note: i have warmed up to the new pokemon, i officially love them all more than the entire 3rd gen, and am now restarting for a shiny drifloon) i have a shiny duskull, and i'm thinking about evolving it...though i'm not too sure. i might make a poll on that. i'm also wondering which way to evolve my shiny tyrogue. anywho.

bonsly and mime jr are not needed, but they look good =] and they were a much-needed sign to show that pokemon wasn't dying, and that they would release a 4th gen. much like munchlax. ok, i just completely contradicted myself, but you get my point....that said, the entire series is about marketability, so why complain about pointless ones if they sell?

P

Pokestar

I LOVE THEM BETTER THAN ALL THE REST! GO CHIMCHAR, FLOATZEL, ROSERADE, STARAPTOR,LUXRAY, LUCARIO!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I LOVE THEM BETTER THAN ALL THE REST! GO CHIMCHAR, FLOATZEL, ROSERADE, STARAPTOR,LUXRAY, LUCARIO!

After this and your reply in that DP teams thread, you're getting a warning. Please stop spamming and go read the rules on what SPAM is, or else you're not going to last around here very long >>

all though i havent seen them all they are suprisingly simalir to hoeen/kanto pokemon take chimchar and torchick for example their last evolutoin is some kind of fighting pokemon are they mimicing wat they did in the past???

i have noticed that, the difference is blaziken is a fire-chicken and infernape is a head-on-fire monkey.

also, empoleon is water/steel and swampert is water/ground, surprisingly similar second type...

i think in this gen they mainly focused upon improving past pokemon to make them more widely used (i.e. roselia. heavily underused in rse, but now that it can evolve into roserade it's going to be overused)

heres somthing else thats probaply been mentoined already but, y do u think they are add more stages to the pokemon from gen 1, 2, and 3???? ???