• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles Volcanion Offense

Hey, so this is kinda my introduction to the forums :D, I see the competitive forum doesn't have much talk in it so I'll contribute to it. So let's get into the this, this is pretty much a a team exploiting the power of modest specs volcanion and eliminating the checks to it.
Edit: so I read the rules :/ and I'll edit and change this to make it fit the rules, my mistake lol

volcanion.png

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

The star of the team, when it comes in on a balance team or stall even this thing will weaken something, burn or kill something. This is to wall break for Lopunny in the end, 24 evs to creep other volcanion mainly.

tyranitar.png

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Crunch

ScarfTar, a personal favorite of mine and glad it works great for vocanion and lopunny. Mainly traps starmie and the laties, considering they are the main switch ins for volcanion for some teams and volcanion works well with ttar weakening waters that switch in like rotom, well mainly rotom.

Manaphy.png

Manaphy @ Splash Plate
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Energy Ball
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow

This Manaphy destroys stall, it can really 1v1 any stall mon minus the grass times. Really it's here as another wall breaker, usually my lead actually. Not much to say here

landorus-therian.png

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Soft Sand
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Lando, i wanted to take a bit more of a offensive choice, considering i have manaphy and ttar to semi check talon, really keeping this thing healthy is important for winning games, opposing landos are a real pain. Plus keeping intimidate for breloom is really important, breloom is the biggest threat period to this team

lopunny-mega.png

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Lopunny, this spot may also be M Pinsir but it's really just what you're feeling, both hate hazards and lopunny has a slightly easier time killing lando with ice punch and isn't OHKOed right away by stone edge. Lopunny is the late game cleaner, taking advantage of all the chaos that manaphy and volcanion cause

starmie.png

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin

now i'm really proud i thought of this, hp fire starmie, originally ferrothorn was a bigger problem to this team because of m pinsir, but it still works. While i was thinking of putting tbolt on this, I'm not sure, i'll test it more and maybe change this. A spinner was necessary with a team that's so weak to hazards.

Threat List
BRELOOM - this team pretty much has to sack something to sleep depending on what's it brought in on.

Garchomp/Lando - offensive/defensive versions of this team is hard to deal with, with only lando really to do it deal with them and manaphy, but with out lefties is worn down pretty easily

(i'll probably extend this eventually)

Here is where you steal the team, thanks for reading. I want to get involved in the community. Hit me up anytime :]

<-
Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Crunch

Manaphy @ Splash Plate
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Energy Ball
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Soft Sand
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin

Last edited:
... I'm guessing part of the reason you put this up is for critique right? Other than saying hello (btw hi!). Well allow me to ask a few questions. I'm not going to pretend that I play OU regularly enough to know exactly how to counter the major threats in that tier, but just glancing at your team in general a few things stand out.

Firstly, why Splash Plate on Manaphy? Its just a 20% boost to water type moves only. Considering you only have one water type move on that set, that's a lot of wasted potential. Life Orb does the job so much better in terms of damage output overall since its not limited to one type of move. Why not use something like Damp Rock to save yourself having to set up rain as often? The same question applies to Soft Sand on Landorus-T. Its pretty situational really.

Secondly, half of your team are water types. So you're going to need to be seriously on the look out for grass and electric. For grass you've got plenty of moves to deal with them, but electric? You've only got one Pokemon capable of dealing with anything like that, and only one move. On most teams this wouldn't be as big of a deal, but considering half of your team is weak to it, including the main Pokemon your team is built around, this is pretty major. If Landorus-T goes early, its going to get pretty rough. Maybe try something like Excadrill out? Its another check for electric types so you don't have to rely so heavily in Landorus-T, plus it's also a rapid spinner, meaning you could probably free up a spot on Starmie for Thunderbolt. Or maybe use this imbalance to your advantage and have a Pokemon with Volt Absorb or Motor Drive to punish anybody being super predictable.

Thirdly, you don't have a single wall in your entire team. Now, maybe you're just a hyper offensive player, and that's cool and all, but I personally would feel damn scared walking into battle without a single defensive Pokemon. The closest thing you have is Manaphy due to its natural bulk and Volcanion with that HP investment. So all I really need to take down your team is to be faster and hit hard enough and that's pretty much it, you can't do much. M-Alakazam immediately jumps to mind. So maybe consider adding something with a bit of bulk to your team, say like M-Venusaur? It resists a lot of things your team is weak to (water, grass, electric), plus you don't have to worry about Spore with it (seeing as you were concerned about that). Or something like Forretress if you didn't want to use up your Mega slot, which could also function as a rapid spinner if you again, wanted to free Starmie up. Or, if you don't want to add anything bulky to your team at all, why not add in a Pokemon with priority moves so you can try to do something against a faster threat? Its better than getting swept. I dunno food for through really.

... I'm guessing part of the reason you put this up is for critique right? Other than saying hello (btw hi!). Well allow me to ask a few questions. I'm not going to pretend that I play OU regularly enough to know exactly how to counter the major threats in that tier, but just glancing at your team in general a few things stand out.

Firstly, why Splash Plate on Manaphy? Its just a 20% boost to water type moves only. Considering you only have one water type move on that set, that's a lot of wasted potential. Life Orb does the job so much better in terms of damage output overall since its not limited to one type of move. Why not use something like Damp Rock to save yourself having to set up rain as often? The same question applies to Soft Sand on Landorus-T. Its pretty situational really.

Secondly, half of your team are water types. So you're going to need to be seriously on the look out for grass and electric. For grass you've got plenty of moves to deal with them, but electric? You've only got one Pokemon capable of dealing with anything like that, and only one move. On most teams this wouldn't be as big of a deal, but considering half of your team is weak to it, including the main Pokemon your team is built around, this is pretty major. If Landorus-T goes early, its going to get pretty rough. Maybe try something like Excadrill out? Its another check for electric types so you don't have to rely so heavily in Landorus-T, plus it's also a rapid spinner, meaning you could probably free up a spot on Starmie for Thunderbolt. Or maybe use this imbalance to your advantage and have a Pokemon with Volt Absorb or Motor Drive to punish anybody being super predictable.

Thirdly, you don't have a single wall in your entire team. Now, maybe you're just a hyper offensive player, and that's cool and all, but I personally would feel damn scared walking into battle without a single defensive Pokemon. The closest thing you have is Manaphy due to its natural bulk and Volcanion with that HP investment. So all I really need to take down your team is to be faster and hit hard enough and that's pretty much it, you can't do much. M-Alakazam immediately jumps to mind. So maybe consider adding something with a bit of bulk to your team, say like M-Venusaur? It resists a lot of things your team is weak to (water, grass, electric), plus you don't have to worry about Spore with it (seeing as you were concerned about that). Or something like Forretress if you didn't want to use up your Mega slot, which could also function as a rapid spinner if you again, wanted to free Starmie up. Or, if you don't want to add anything bulky to your team at all, why not add in a Pokemon with priority moves so you can try to do something against a faster threat? Its better than getting swept. I dunno food for through really.

Well the reason was for yes critiquing, thoughts and kinda show it off as a way to start on the forums. So herro and as for the team

Splash plate modest manaphy does kinda destroy balance/stall as i said, it has a 56% chance of OHKOing standard CM clefable after a +3 (which is a very common thing)
+3 252+ SpA Splash Plate Manaphy Surf vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 366-432 (92.8 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
i'll try and get a replay showing it, for an example vs stal, you come in on chansey, rain dance to prevent twave, (bc hydration, removes status with rain up) then tail glow twice or once and proceed to near ohko. You don't need the extra recoil from life orb and you'll only be clicking surf really. as for soft sand lando, yeah defensive would probably be more but soft sand adds extra power without taling recoil and taking recoil on lando is no gucci

About the 3 water type issues that is indeed something i'm working on how to fix as for electric types like m mane i can check with ttar, but as for something like thundurus-i, game plan is dodge a focus blast xD. I like the excadrill idea, but i haven't tested it, gives some sand offense which is cool i guess, I actually might try that and find something else for starmie

Now as for walls, for this type of play you don't need per say "walls" bc yeah, it's an offensive build. I "check" things with everything, while i either outspeed them, take a hit and hit back or just try in some way to kill it. When i faced a breloom one time i was feelin crazy and went into ttar to break sash with sand on a sword dance and then doubled into my m pinsir on the mach punch and took it out with quick attack xD. while it's not the best thing in the world lol it just wanted to share it. Vs breloom i have a hard time. Anyway thanks for the reply dude and sorry for taking such a long time :D