• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Voice Chatting and Online Gaming

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Some of you play a helluva lot more multiplayer online than others, so you've probably developed some opinions regarding voice chatting and gaming. Tell us what you think about it, whether you like to use it or not, and - if you do use it - how open or restrictive are you with who you'll chat with.

Personally, if I'm gaming online I love being able to voice chat with the people I'm playing with or against. Co-op works a heck of a lot better for most games if you're able to discuss what you're doing, and it's a lot more fun hearing the person's reactions when you're battling against them. All in all, I prefer voice chatting when gaming online than not having it on. It makes the experience a lot better for me.

That said... I don't enjoy voice chatting with strangers. Some people are all into these huge group chats for stuff like MMO guilds, but I'll typically only voice chat with friends. Besides... who wants to listen to some random moron - or morons plural - prattle on in your ears while you're trying to enjoy the game? For people like that, the silence is appreciated. :p

When I used to frequent live, I used to have voice chat on all the time.

However, as a female playing Halo 2 before Microsoft put a reporting feature in? I got so many sexist slurs that I just got tired of it. I would generally like to voice chat more because it is indeed much easier to coordinate movements by voice, but often times I'm too lazy |D

If I do go onto Live again for Reach, though, I will be using voice. I hope people will be more understanding (yeah right lulz D:).

When I do voice chat (like in Pokemon or at friend's houses) I do enjoy it. Hearing all of the reactions and 'seeing' some of their personality first hand is experience. I first talked to my best friend's boyfriend that way, and my, does he have a dirty mouth! XD

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Talking to inanimate objects is still crazy. Just 'cos you convince yourself that there is someone else listening elsewhere doesn't make it any less insane.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
DoctorOak said:
Talking to inanimate objects is still crazy. Just 'cos you convince yourself that there is someone else listening elsewhere doesn't make it any less insane.

Personally, I think it's more crazy that someone in this day and age would be unable to accept technology. There's no convincing that someone else is listening because they actually are! XD

Now go and sit in the corner, Alex. >=o

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Linkachu said:
DoctorOak said:

Personally, I think it's more crazy that someone in this day and age would be unable to accept technology. There's no convincing that someone else is listening because they actually are! XD

It's less accepting technology and more just feeling like a fucking twat for talking to a piece of plastic.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
DoctorOak said:
Linkachu said:
DoctorOak said:

It's less accepting technology and more just feeling like a fucking twat for talking to a piece of plastic.

"Piece of plastic" = a communication device, hence technology. So, yes, it's not accepting technology. ;p

And I still stand by my statement that you should sit in the corner.

I don't have a mic at the moment, but when I get one, I'll use it mainly in Left 4 Dead 2. I play with my friends in that and it's really helpful when fighting zombies to be able to talk to each other without typing. Other than that, I won't really. The other online games I have don't really use voice chat too much.

Yeah, I've got a ventrilo server which I run for a group of friends I play StarCraft with. So I voice chat fairly regularly :)

My dad is usually working behind me though, with lots of phone calls and such, so sometimes I just listen and type responses back.

Getting used to the whole thing did take some time though, it was pretty nerve-racking for the first few months of using ventrilo. And even now, I'm still not particularly set with talking to randomers who friends bring on - although if we're playing with friends of friends, I usually warm up to them.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Alex, since you own/use a cellphone, you talk to a "fucking piece of plastic" yourself. And ordinary phones too. There is no difference. Your argument is invalid. >>

I find that Ventrilo, Teamspeak, or something of the like is absolutely essential for raiding in World of Warcraft. Plus it's nice to put a voice to the avatar, you know? But I tend to be very shy for a while on Ventrilo until I get to know the people better.

Last edited by a moderator: