• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

~Video game Sidekicks

A

Anonymous

From Luigi to Yoshi ,from Navi to Midna ,this thread is all about your favorite video game sidekicks/companions.

For me me favorite sidekick is Rui(the chick in the orange hair) from Pokemon Colosseum.The reason she's my favorite is because even though Espeon and Umbreon are badass ,who would you want to follow you around ,you pet of you girlfriend?
I'd post a pic but it's actually really hard to find a non-perv version of her ....

I don't know if this counts as a sidekick... (more like a roundhouse kick, amiright?) anyway.

Rtas 'Vadum, from the Halo series. Biggest. Badarse. Ever. There are only two in the Halo universe that can equal his might- Avery J. Johnson and Xytan 'Jar Wattinree. The reason Rtas gets to be the favorite? Because he has half a jaw and still kicks more arse than Arby could ever wish to. Were it so easy indeed, Arby.

Does Persona 3's Omoikane count? If not, Koromaru. He's a dog that attacks Shadows by holding a BLADE IN HIS MOUTH and he does flips and is oh-so-adorable.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Personally I'd rather be followed around by something that can spell.

Let's see. Kind of hard for me to define a 'sidekick' - as many playable characters in many games could be counted as 'sidekicks' of sorts to the main character... But I don't count those as they're pretty much main characters themselves, mostly. Same for semi-playable monsters and summons. So. Not in any particular order:

Nall.jpg
1) Nall from Lunar: Silver Star Story - LOOK AT THE DAMN THING. He's adorable. And when the story kicks into higher gear some REALLY awesome shit happens re: him. Buuuuuuut I'll leave you people to play the game.
(I need to play it myself really, the one remake I played does NOT FUCKING COUNT).

wa_hanpan.jpg
2) Hanpan from Wild ARMs Original. Seriously. He's a flying. Sarcastic. Blue. Rodent. What's not to like?!

art-pooka.jpg
3) Pooka from Wild ARMs: 2nd Ignition. Pooka plays a role similar to that of Hanpan in WA2: a floating 'cute' animal sidekick which can be used to activate switches or retrieve items from afar. Unlike Hanpan however, Pooka has no personality whatsoever - or rather, no 'sense of self'. This would subtract from its general awesomeness - except that it's crucial for its role: a matrix for summoning the Guardians. Pooka can synchronize with 'Mediums' containing the data for what is pretty much the manifestation of the elemental lifeforce of the world, and use them to reformat itself to basically temporarily become the summoned guardian. It gets its own bit of plot development later, but I'm not going to spoil the game for you. Seriously. More people need to play this game. Even with its godawful translation. PSX era localizations. (fistshakes).

Crow2b.jpg
4) Crow from The Longest Journey. Okay, so the art I used is concept art from Dreamfail, but what can one do. Crow is fast-talking, brash, wise-cracking and a bit of a womanizer (at least, as far as his fellow birds are concerned) but his heart is in the right place and conversations with him are often hilarious.

That's the ones I can think of so far.

The things that didn't quite make it include the Luggage from the Discworld games (which kinda counts but then again, is more of a walking inventory), Yomi from Terranigma (Which isn't much of a sidekick as much as it's a huge what) and A few of the assistants of the Ace Attorney series (Namely, Maya Fey, Ema Skye and Kay Faraday, all of which rocked in their own way although they were a bit too close to the 'main character' definition plot-wise to be considered... or were blatant colorswaps of one another that were later developed into awesome).

320px-NirvanaArtwork.png
And to think some people find her creepy. Okay, yeah, Nirvana is totally creepy. Not only is she a life-sized marionette that moves on her own, she also has the apparent ability to increase her partner's killing instinct. Oh, and uh also she apparently was made with the remains of Carl's sister, Ada. =/ Still, a fair tradeoff considering how incredibly badass she is as Carl's sidekick. FALCON PAWNCHing opponents, summoning black holes, and driving her user insane are just some of the many lovely abilities of Deus Machina Nirvana. Not to mention she's dressed as a steampunk maid from hell :>

250px-Teddie.jpg
Teddie ♥. As Yosuke puts it in Persona 4, Teddie is 'one lying sack of honey' whose fascination with the human world leads him to join you on your quest to solve the mysterious murders happening in the small town of Inaba. Teddies starts off as support for your party, and will help out by mapping the dungeons you've been through, locating victims, and infroming you of opponents' weaknesses. Eventually, he'll join the party on the battlefield after his duties are given to Rise. In battle, Teddie is one of the most useful party members in the game, and the strongest spellcaster next to Yukiko. But besides all that, he's absolutely adorable and goofy. He flirts with every girl he meets and is always scheming for a way to score a kiss from them; but underneath all that, he's actually just trying to find out who or what he is and prove his existence.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Now I too must to use images to describe the most obscure sidekick of all time! >8D

sonicart2.jpg

OMG! Who is -THAT-? =O ... Oh hey, it's Tails! :D

Our beloved Miles is the sidekick of video game sidekicks to me. I adore the first three characters Stel mentioned and hordes more, but I'd be lying if I didn't put Tails before 'em all. Yoshi, you got ousted, too. Tails didn't come into his own until Sonic 3, but he changed the gameplay in various ways and acted as a wonderful support to Sonic. Heck, when you played Tails alone you could truly explore the stages, and that was tons of fun. Even though he's not a playable in many of the newer Sonic games, it's always a treat seeing him involved in some capacity.

Lots of love, little two-tailed fox guy. ♥

In Halo: Reach, you had quite the badassed team. Take Jorge, he carries a machine gun! And he suicides to save the world! (Though it didn't work.) And then Emilee, Skullface (D:< I call him skull face) sticks with you till the last level! (Yeah... this was an epic fail summery...)

I would have to say that I love Yoshi. He eats things, and spits them out as eggs and other items! In fourth grade, friends of mine used to joke about how they could get turned into Yoshis by being eaten by him and then laid as an egg.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
I'm not a fan of many sidekicks, seeing as they are often pointlessly annoying and over-the-top. Yoshi, however still holds a special place in my heart simply because when you would get him in the old Mario side scrollers it felt so damn special. :'D And when you would lose him, it would hurt me deeply...

[me=Sir Red]weeps for all the Yoshi's he sacrificed to make it over a gap too large for a normal jump. D':[/me]

To me, the best video game sidekick so far is Model A from Megaman ZX Advent;

kgzxmbjjqh1.jpg

Personality-wise, this female Biometal isn't always the best of friends. Slightly impulsive, sometimes a bit cowardly and really, really stubborn, Model A's sense of heroism is nowhere near that of the other models- But that doesn't mean she's afraid to battle, nor unwilling. When Megamerged with her holder, she gives him/her this;

228px-GreyModelA.png

...As well as the ability to copy the DNA of a Pseudoroid or Megaman that he/she has defeats in battle, after which he/she can morph into that Pseudoroid or Megaman, no matter the size.

My favorite has to be Tails, because he's just so cute.
Also Yoshi can be quite useful, (in SMG2... I think) he was really awesome, and it's good trying to get him back when you lose him in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, unless he falls over the edge of something of course, he's quite fast.

I quite like Tails, Yoshi, Luigi etc., but one sidekick holds a VERY special Place in my heart:
midna.jpg

MIDNA
Seriously, her sarcasm, her laugh, the fact she actually SPEAKS (kinda) makes her an epic sidekick. Tatl comes in close second.

But there is one sidekick that deserves to rot in the deepest, darkest pits of hell...
Navi_Artwork.png

Navi...
I just won't rant about her, it would take up too much space.

Blazi said:
I quite like Tails, Yoshi, Luigi etc., but one sidekick holds a VERY special Place in my heart:
midna.jpg

MIDNA
Seriously, her sarcasm, her laugh, the fact she actually SPEAKS (kinda) makes her an epic sidekick. Tatl comes in close second.

But there is one sidekick that deserves to rot in the deepest, darkest pits of hell...
Navi_Artwork.png

Navi...
My thoughts exactly. Nothing much else to add, except the fact that Midna can transform you into a wolf and helps you pretty much K.O. everything... It's just so neat.

Rex

Resident Furry
Daxter.jpg

None can hope to compare to Daxter, sidekick to Jak of the Jak & Daxter series. He's hilarious, useful, and adorable. He serves as one of the series' main sources of comic relief, but unlike the fall of most comic relief characters, he's a well developed character in his own right.

I think Midna is one of my favorites. She speaks and has a role in the story line. I actually named my computer after her. (It has to be named something on the network...)

Ezlo.png
Another would be Ezlo from Minish Cap. He was cool and obscure because he was the obligatory green hat of Link's. He also was betrayed by his apprentice Vaati. How sad...

For me, the best sidekick has to be Midna. I was going to say Navi, at first. However, Navi is badly annoying, and none of us like pestering faeries that drive you insane with "HEY!" and, "LISTEN!". Actually, I checked some stats a while back and I think Navi was voted most annoying character in the entire Zelda series. I could be wrong, but, that's what I've heard.
Midna is my favorite sidekick because she doesn't annoy you to death and she's a bit of a main character if you think about it. She has such a high role in the series that you could consider her a main protagonist, in a way. She helps out countless ways that otherwise Link possibly couldn't do.

Blazi said:
midna.jpg

MIDNA

Navi_Artwork.png

Navi...
I just wanna shove Navi into a bottle full of Blue Fire and toss said bottle into Lake Hylia and watch her drown ,suffocate ,and burn a the same time!.
Also Midna ftw