• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Veilstone Diaries

There's Pokemon clothes?! Do they make them species-by-species, or something?! That would get rather expensive. Then again, I'm sure their family could afford it.

Yeah, I figure if there are dog clothes in this world, there are Pokemon clothes as well ^^ And yeah, some Pokemon clothes could come off the rack but some would be custom made--rather like human clothes.

But what Gail was most afraid of was the Pokemon clothes that her sister made. As she said, they aren't a pretty sight

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Eeeee. I love this fic. Your characters are all wonderful - I love your depiction of Veilstone, it feels so believable. :D

OOC: Eh heh. Sorry this took so long ^^;

Dear Diary, do you remember when I said I didn't want to get my hopes up too high only to be crushed? Well, that day finally came. I guess I'm getting ahead of myself again and should tell you how it got to this point. Because there were several key events and warnings that this was coming. Oh yes…there were plenty of things and I should've seen it coming. -_-

For the past three weeks, things were great…okay, my personal life was going pretty good. My school life was just tolerable. I got the job at Belleza (Woohoo)! But I was totally shocked to find out that it was run by Miguela Cruz's mother. Like, really surprised. I almost wanted to back out because I thought that Mrs. Cruz was like her daughter, but that turned out to be wrong. She was really nice! Even her younger daughter Miranda was cool (even if she did remind me of the preppy girls at my old school). I have no idea what was up with her oldest daughter.

Actually, I rarely saw Miguela. Her mom told me that she recently switched to working weekdays and studying and hanging out with friends on the weekends. Greeeeat, so she's avoiding me. But I wasn't too bummed about that because I didn't particularly want to see her either. I was too busy enjoying the perks of this job. When I got hired I got a full gift basket for both me and my mom and I got a good discount on everything in the store. There was this one facial cream that I fell in love with ^_^ I've never seen my skin glow like that and it did wonders for any zits that popped up…okay enough gushing.

In addition to my new job, my social life had improved a little. Akira had invited me, Anastasio, and Esmeralda to dinner at his house this one time and that was a lively experience. XD Akira's aunt and uncle, Machi and Shusuke, were really fun. They were the first adults from Hoenn that I'd met; they seemed a bit looser than most of the Sinnoh adults I had encountered thus far. It was easy to see where Akira's hippiness was a family trait. We had a mostly vegan dinner full of stuff I have never seen before. It wasn't that I didn't like it…we'll just say that it had to grow on me. We also had a good time with the Pokémon there as well. Now to the not so nice stuff.

School was as tough as ever but I was managing to stay afloat. And I had to admit there were some high points. Akira got first place on the next test as well which made Carina even more livid than before. And since Akira just laughed her off, she moved onto me. But even then that didn't work because I started to get braver. ^^ (*Cue the trumpets) And by that, I mean I pretty much ignored her. I mean seriously, you get tired of dealing with the same crap over and over. Akira said he was proud of me.

But then stuff started to happen. Weird stuff O.o Okay, I know I said weird stuff happened in my second entry too, but hey.

Akira and I always met in the computer lab before school. I pretty much just surfed the internet and checked a manga forum I recently started frequenting. And I never knew exactly what Akira got up to, but it probably involved talking to his friends back in Hoenn. I really wish I had a computer at home so I could get in on the whole internet scene like Akira and the rest of Veilstone it seemed. But enough about me, lately Alicio was also coming to the lab. And *gasp* he was actually talking to us more. Akira and I were immediately suspicious. (First weird thing)

Akira: Uh, Man purse boy, did your two mistresses dump you or something?
Alicio: Look, it's a book bag *holds out bag Not a man purse!
Akira: That doesn't answer my question, Man purse boy.
Alicio: No, I wasn't dumped by my friends. I just find it relaxing here.
Akira: Uh huh. What ever you say…

I still wasn't saying too much at school because I was afraid of making myself look stupid. But it seemed like Carina was always trying to find some way make me talk in class either by calling me out, or making me do the talking in English. And every time I said something, it felt like the other students were laughing at me. Sure some of it was in my head, but I knew first hand (and from Akira's observations), some people —were- laughing at me, but as I found out, it wasn't only me.

Yes, I think I was figuring out how this school worked. It was survival of the fittest, like dog eat dog. This school practically ran on competition. Akira figured that they didn't punish cyber-bullying and were lax on other forms of harassment because they wanted to put the students to the ultimate test to see if they would crack. If you got teased, you were supposed to know you had to step it up—and that applied to school, clothes, anything. I saw a girl who had gotten bullied one week picking on another student because her shoes were out of season (wth?).

It was enough to make me think that maybe I was living in some kind of alternate dimension and that this school wasn't real. Akira and I had a pretty grim bet going on about how many people would totally lose it. I honestly believed I would be one of the ones to have a mental breakdown, but he didn't think so.

Akira: Look Quinn, as long as you don't let the attitude mess with your inner balance, you'll be fine. *Smiles
Quinn: Yeah… *Awkward smiles

OKAY! On to the second odd thing. I was more grateful than ever to have Akira and even Anastasio and Esmeralda. And that was because girls, and not just Carina were being even meaner than before. :O Thanks to my job, no one could say I smelled funny or that my hair was gross (in fact it was shiny thanks to this shampoo—okay off track again) AHEM. Instead they focused on my lack of money (but I was saving up), the fact that my mom worked at a warehouse, that my grades weren't that great, etc. What the heck was going on?

And then it felt like I was being watched. Like seriously. Whenever I was alone in saaay a bathroom or in the hallway or even PE—it was so creepy. And once again, I had no clue what was going on. That was the third weird thing. This should've been the thing that sent up red flags all over the place, but it didn't. Maybe it was because I was so busy with other stuff. I was working on a four page paper in English, and projects for Film, Current Affairs, and History, and various homework elsewhere.

Monday of the next week was when I first heard that the Black Hole was being opened to the rest of the school. Yep, this was bad. The Black Hole was pretty much the internet version of a slam book. Still, I wasn't really concerned; it wasn't like I had steady internet access. But then that Wednesday…it's…still hard to talk about it—even after all this time. I must warn you: after this point, this entry may be…less than coherent from here on out…

It was raining hard that morning so I had on my rain boots and my umbrella. If Veilstone was cold already, the rain only made it worse (I would invest in a raincoat next). Taking the trolley was a no-brainer if I didn't want to be absolutely soaked. I opted not to stop and get hot chocolate and instead went straight to school. As soon as I walked through the door, I knew something was wrong. The few people who where roaming the hallways were pointing and sniggering at me.

I sped walked (is that even a word?) to the lab and found Akira there as normal. Is there anything wrong, Akira? No, why? Everyone is…laughing and pointing. But even he didn't know what was going on. So I just tried to relax on the internet. However as more people got to school, things just got worse. Now people were calling me names: fatty, retard, gross, weird even. At that point I really felt sick to my stomach…

Seriously now. It was ridiculous. I was trying my best to not look like I was gonna lose it at any second, but you know me by now. It was HARD D: It was bad in pre-cal but English was oddly calm. Huh? You say? Well, no one aside from Akira said anything to me. Carina just smirked at me, while I couldn't read the faces of neither Alicio nor Miguela. It wasn't until lunch time that I finally found out what was going on…

I walked in to the cafeteria to find Akira, Anastasio, and Esmeralda looking over Akira's laptop with looks of disgust and (in Anastasio's case) horror.

Me: Heeey, what's going on?
Anastasio: *Slams laptop close on Akira's thumb Oh, hey! (Why was he so nervous and shaky?)
But Esmeralda went straight to the point: We…think you should see this Quinn… *Reopens laptop

It was a webpage with the words "The Black Hole" glaring at the top in bright yellow letters. They turned the laptop towards me and I started scrolling down. My eyes got as big as cereal bowls. You know that feeling when something so catastrophic happens that you can't even breathe? Yeah, well, that was me. There were pictures of me—embarrassing ones at that. Pictures of me half asleep in class, pictures of my feet under a bathroom stall, one of me in PE that made me look like I was so fat…and one of me just looking stupid among so many others. The only thing the pics had in common was that I looked ugly in every one of them. I scrolled down further and I saw the comments…after the first three I ran off.

So I'm hiding in the stall of the bathroom not bothering to lock it. I'm trying my —very-best not to cry but my nose is running like crazy. Out of total paranoia I squatted on a toilet with my feet up so they wouldn't show underneath the door.

Me: …sniff
Esmeralda: Quinn…I can follow the sounds of you sniffs
It only takes her a few seconds to find me
Esmeralda: You know that staying in here only encourages her.
Me: I know…sniff
Esmeralda: ~sigh~ You're going to have to confront her someday, but do it when you're ready.
Me: …

That's about where the rant started: Everyone is terrible here; I need to change schools, I don't l know why I even dreamed I could fit in here; everyone hates me. And then the tears started. See, I hate crying because not only does it make me look uglier, I —sound- ugly too—like a Donphan mating call. Esmeralda just shook her head and told me it was no time to emo. Wait. Emo? What the heck did that mean?

Esmeralda: Emo…it means being moody and wallowing in self pity.

Yep. Emo. That's me. Quinn the emo girl. -_- What on earth did I do to deserve this? This had to be the worst day of my life.

…Okay, I'm being a bit over dramatic but seriously! I don't remember ever feeling this bad.

Esmeralda: Quinn, before you do anything…rash, why don't we talk for a while.

And just how did she know I was thinking about doing…rash things? All kinds of thoughts of revenge were running through my head—one of which involved me "accidently" spilling something all over Carina's fancy designer clothes (coughlamecough) or even retaliating on the Black Hole. Before I could admit to anything, Esmeralda explained why revenge was a bad idea.

Esmeralda: See…that's how things get started here. Someone says something bad about someone else, then they retaliate then it snowballs from there. And because there were no rules about cyber harassment, it usually led to one of the people having a meltdown.

That wasn't exactly helping me feel better and I told Esmeralda that. So she told me that I was actually in better shape than half the people who post on that site.

:O

I had to hop off the toilet and come out of the stall for that one. What on earth do you mean —I'm- in better shape than someone at Veilstone High? Are you keeping up with your school work? Yes, but barely. Then you're doing a lot better than some people.

:O

Esmeralda: ~laughs~ Let me explain.
There are these people who take all these really hard classes to make themselves look good. But…it doesn't take them long to realize that they are way in over their heads. They pretend to understand the material when they really don't. And they don't ask for help because they'll get tormented for it. Then they began to space out in class, fall behind with their homework, start failing quizzes and tests, and grades start dropping.

I interrupted her at this point: But why does everyone seem so smart?

Esmeralda: I hate to say it, but that's where the bad stuff starts. People start cheating or taking drugs that gives them energy. But none of that stuff helps in the end. They fall further and further behind until they're desperate and struggling. By then they're past the point of no return. Students start having mental breakdowns and start mysteriously disappearing as they get withdrawn from school. They can't stay at Veilstone because at this stupid school, they have no mercy on you and won't offer any help to anyone so students just drown. And being kept back at this school? People would rather die. They've become undesirables…
Me: So what happens to them?
Esmeralda: They eventually have to transfer to another school.
Me: Oh…then I guess that'll be me soon

Esmeralda just laughed and told me not to be so hard on myself, just like Akira had said. She said that people start to realize they're in trouble at around this time, and while I had to work reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hard, I currently wasn't in danger of becoming an undesirable :) Maybe I was in better shape than some of the people here. But even so…there was still that awful website they put up.

Me: Esmeralda, what am I going to do about that website. (Those tears were threatening to run over again).
Esmeralda: You'll just have to hold your head high and continue on. It's not like the whole school is talking about you, and those people that are won't be talking for long. And people at other schools hate Veilstone High School too much to visit the Black Hole.

That made me feel somewhat better, but it would still be a couple of days before I could get over this. I also knew that I'd be paranoid forever. I had to make sure that I was always poised and looking my best while I was at Veilstone…sigh. That was yet another thing I had to worry about in addition to the rest of the crap I had to put up with. Oh well. At least I never had to worry about my skin and hair because my job provided me with all kinds of creams and shampoos. Just as I was prepared to think about leaving the bathroom, I found out Esmeralda wasn't done with me yet.

Esmeralda: We should all go shopping this weekend. You, me, Anastasio, and Akira.

And just when I thought she was different from the rest: I'm trying to save my money, I told her.

Esmeralda: You won't need much money where we're going. It's a vintage shop!
Quinn: Vintage? But isn't that even more expensive that regular stuff?
Esmeralda: Don't worry. They have some really nice stuff and it's really cheap too. Just you wait and see!

She reached out and squeezed my arm before leaving the bathroom. Sure, Esmeralda wasn't nice in a gentle way, but she still made me feel a little better. Was it bad that I took pleasure in hearing that I wasn't the only one struggling? Probably. The only thing that kept me from feeling 100% better was the fact that I had to face the rest of the school day. And so I had a dilemma: skip school and then risking getting detention or worse or I could endure the rest of my school day and be humiliated. Esmeralda had told me to hold my head high, but…

So I won't bore you with the rest of my week. I'll just tell you that I decided to stay in school that day and it was miserable. Very miserable. And the next two days were pretty much the same. I didn't say much at home but both my mom and sister knew something was up and as such they kept bugging me. I really couldn't bring myself to tell them what happened. And I was plenty annoyed because I just wanted to be left alone with my hatred of Carina.

I've never despised someone so much in my whole life as I did Carina Diaz. Sometimes I couldn't even think, see, or even hear straight when I thought about it. Esmeralda's and later Anastasio's words (because he later gave me the same advice :O) kept going through my head. But when it did, I'd just remember how hard it is to actually follow it and I'd get so upset I'd want to cry ;_; I never did though. My hatred of Carina didn't quite extend to her two flunkies yet. Alicio still came into the computer lab but he didn't say much to me and Akira and we had nothing to say to him either. Truth be told, it was probably because he was afraid that we'd blame him for that webpage (which we kinda did

Last edited by a moderator:

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Where's Carina!? I want to rip out her intestines and feed them to her! Wait, you said revenge is a no-no? Damn -_-

Great chapter Carmen, it is well written as always. I'm sure I've said this before, but I really can't wait for Carina's judgement day now. I'm just glad Quinn has such supportive friends to pick her back up.

I would totally shop at that mall, it seems to have all kinds of fun stuff to buy. Like Akira, I wouldn't pay much attention to the clothes (unless they had horn rimmed sunglasses, a trenchcoat, or something weird), but I would go to the organic and manga shops.

*grabs a lawn chair and awaits the next entry*

XD

only thing I have to say, is when Anastasio shut the laptop on Akira's thumb, Akira should've said something. =p

I mean, I'm assuming it was slammed shut with a lot of force, and -most- people wouldn't take that kind of pain quietly XD

(But then this may be how you wanted it, so the above is just a suggestion.

Carmen, you surprise me with every new entry or chapter you put out. Your writing skills are absolutely outstanding and the fact that you can show such depth with these by one viewpoint at a time and yet still tell a coherent story is beyond belief.

Either way, this has been another phenomenal chapter and I love the back and forth and how you show the true dark side of Vielstone while also showing how others deal or don't deal with it. As long as you keep writing great stories like this, I highly doubt you are going to have ANY trouble with your readership, even if you throw something completely out of left field at us. I eagerly anticipate your next written entry. ^^

OOC: Two things to note, One: The chapter that's going to drive me into witness protection is actually AFTER this one. Sorry about that ^^; Two: This entry is massive! :o Miguela had a lot to say.

October 8, 2008: Changes were coming. Both for me and my high school.

The weather was turning colder as September turned to October and I didn't mind it at all. None of the native Veilstone residents did, but I watched Akira and Quinn struggle through it. Akira was trying hard to be mellow, but even so it seemed like every other phrase out of his mouth was a complaint about how cold it was. Quinn shivered violently whenever she came in from outdoors. I have to admit that I find their misery ever so slightly amusing…

But back to the subject: I'll talk about the changes for me which proved to be a blessing in disguise. Last Friday I was at home studying and watching Lucas while my sister was on the internet at the same time she was on the phone (the multitasker). She was jabbering away until I suddenly heard a gasp and…

"Oh. My. Gosh. Taylor I have to call you back. MOM! Look at this!"

Of course, I didn't think anything of it because she was always telling Mom to look at something—a shocking news story, a stupid letter a reader posted—anything. My mind was still on my Biology homework until I heard Mom say "Miguela, how could you?" I knew I had a problem then because Mom never called me Miguela unless I was in trouble or she was disappointed in me. But from the sound of her voice, it sounded like a bit of both. So I got up and walked over to our computer and I think my heart sank a couple of inches.

It was the webpage Carina had created in the Black Hole about Quinn. Both Alicio and I were really uneasy when she said she was going to do it, but it wasn't like I could do anything to stop her. Now I just feel awful about it and wish the whole thing would just go away. I saw how upset she got over it, but I had to pretend like it didn't affect me or anything. And facing Akira again was going to be hard. Even though I had nothing to do with it, I could tell he partly blamed me for it, and by the looks of it, Mom did too.

"Miguela, how on earth could you do something like this?" Mom asked. I didn't look her in the eyes because she had a look on her face that could even make the worst criminal feel ashamed of himself. "I thought you were better than this!"

I just stood there and said nothing.

"Silent are we?" she asked while Randi looked at me and even she looked ashamed of me. But even I was shocked my Mom's next words. "You're grounded for a month."

That made me start talking. My mouth hit the floor. "But I had nothing to do with this! Carina was the one who set that up!"

"And how do I know you weren't one of the ones who posted some of these obscene messages?"

"But I didn't!" That was very true. Carina had wanted both Alicio and me to post something but neither of us did. We didn't say anything about it, because we didn't want her mad at us. So now Carina just assumes that we did.

"You know what?" Mom said. "Whether you posted or not you still could've said something to that girl. She has such a bad influence on you."

"No she doesn't!"

"Whatever, you're still grounded," said Mom flatly. "No weekend shopping trips with Carina or going to her house, or hanging out with her outside of school period, no studying for long hours, and your internet use is restricted. By the way, you can be sure I'm calling Lena too!"

I felt the sting of injustice. She was punishing me for something I didn't even do! "That is SO unfair!" I yelled as I stomped away with Lucas right behind me.

I slammed my bedroom door shut and threw myself onto my bed. How on earth was I supposed to tell Carina that I wasn't allowed to see her outside of school? I was so totally ticked at my mom that I could barely see straight.

"Rioluuuu," Lucas said. I lifted my head to look at him and saw that he was looking at me with those puppy dog eyes. I felt the urge to smile while being slightly annoyed at the same time. He had no business making me feel better when I wanted to be mad! I shook my head and rubbed his back.

And as I sat there and stewed in my despair, I thought some more about Mom's words. She didn't say I couldn't go shopping—just that I couldn't go with Carina. And even though I couldn't hang out with her, I could spend more time with Lucas. I felt slightly bad that Alicio was going down with me, but hopefully his mom wasn't too bad. Maybe everything would work out all right…however, there was still the fact that I had to tell Carina what my Mom had done.

But even that wasn't so bad. As Carina, Alicio, and I were sitting in the coffee shop the next day, Carina announced that she couldn't see us as much because she had "important" things to attend to.

"What important things?" Alicio made the mistake of asking.

"If I had wanted you to know, I would've told you!" Carina snapped.

Instead of looking ashamed of himself like I would've done, Alicio just looked suspicious and I didn't know why. Poor guy, he hadn't been able to catch a break from Carina ever since that day she kicked him out of our study. No wonder we were seeing less of him than usual, but I notice a change in him too….Normally, he never said much, but he seems more…distrustful of her somehow.

"Uh, huh…" he said simply. "Important things indeed," he added under his breath.

"What did you say!?"

"Nothing, nothing."

Needless to say it was rather tense but we kept up the front. We talked about our usual school stuff and how we were going to do on today's test….at that point I just zoned out. Ever since Lucas was dropped on my doorstep, I've been finding this kind of stuff mundane and I wasn't sure why. Maybe Akira was right: I —had- no life.

I finally had to enroll Lucas in daycare, the Yamakage's, after he nearly destroyed a china cabinet, so I had to get over my fear of facing Akira fast. I was relieved when he didn't treat me coldly though I still felt like there was some distance between us. You may ask why I couldn't just enroll Lucas in a different daycare, but I have an explanation for that one. The Yamakage's daycare was the best around and I only wanted the best for Lucas. And though Akira could really push my buttons, he could be pretty cool. After talking to him, I was convinced he was going to be number one again on this test. But I'm still mystified by how he does it though! I mean, he doesn't spend hours and hours studying! Maybe the guy is really a genius.

I didn't even notice we had stopped short until I ran into Alicio. Carina glared at me and shook her head before stalking off. Puzzled, I looked up and I saw we were already at school! No wonder she was so mad at me; I had missed out on the whole conversation.

"Wow, Miguela," said Alicio.

"Yeah, yeah, you don't have to say anything else," I said feeling slightly ashamed of myself.

"I wasn't going to," he replied. "By the way, since Carina is likely to be doing "important" stuff after school, we should meet up then."

"Sure! I can study in the meantime" I said, pleasantly surprised. We were beginning to walk to no where in particular.

"By the way," Alicio said. "My older brother said he had a surprise for me a week from today."

I raised an eyebrow; I had never met his brother but I certainly remembered what he did last year... "A surprise? Like that Valentine's Day surprise?"

Alicio's face turned brick red as I laughed. "We won't discuss that. Ever. I hope he never pulls a stunt like that again."

And so began the slight change in the relationships of my life. Maybe being grounded wouldn't be so bad for either of us. He told me he had to run errands for his mom who was now six months along. We were laughing and talking until we saw Akira and Quinn walking towards her. She had taken to wearing a pink fedora which was cute in its own way; she attracted stares but she didn't seem to mind them as much. But while she looked away as we were about to pass each other, Akira narrowed his eyes as he looked at me. For a very long two seconds I was locked in his gaze…it didn't go away until we had passed each other.

"Still mad at us I guess," said Alicio. "But I guess they have a good reason."

"Yeah…" I said. I didn't say how that wasn't anger on Akira's face.

"We'll find some way to fix it though!" Alicio said brightly.

"I certainly hope so," I said as I mindlessly fiddled with my hair.

~ ~ ~​

It was bad enough that I had to deal with feeling like Akira was looking down on me, but the prospect of facing Quinn at work was even worse. It had been weeks since Carina's web slam, yet somehow it was still fresh in everyone's mind. I felt terrible every time I saw Quinn and I was so happy that I didn't have to see her at work…but that little comfort was snatched from me. So now I faced the rest of the week dreading the weekend and that just should not be -especially- since the week was pretty much bad anyway.

You can already guess how the next test went. Carina near had a fit when she saw the results: Akira, Carina, a random person, another random person, me, a random person, Alicio… Excluding Alicio, she invited me to her house and I because I was more afraid of her than my mom, I accepted. Once again I found myself riding through the twisty roads to her beautiful house but it was far from a pleasant trip because Carina was pissed and I was feeling it. Maybe that was why the front gardens didn't seem so pretty…

When we got to the house, Carina practically kicked in the door and stomped up to her room where she let loose. First she shattered the mirror of her vanity along with all the trinkets before turning her wrath on her TV, laptop, cell phone, and even her clothes…I'd had never seen her like this and she was scaring me.

"What's the matter?" she asked, her breathing heavy as she ripped a cashmere sweater. "I know you're not worried about all of this crap. We'll just go out and buy new things. In fact, let's do that now!"

"I can't!" I exclaimed without thinking. But then I remembered I had the excuse I didn't (and should've) used earlier. "I'm grounded!"

"So what?" she said waving her hand and throwing the destroyed sweater to the side. "That's got nothing to do with me, stupid. And while we're on the subject of stupid, why did you do so badly on the test? You're slacking aren't you?"

My poor head was spinning. "I…don't know. I don't know!" I knew full well why: I was studying less because I was doing other things with my family and with Lucas, and I lost my focus on the test…but I couldn't tell her…

Carina reached over and yanked a fistful of my hair close to my scalp. "You'd better find out because you know I don't allow stupid people around me." She said in a low voice.

My eyes watered and I was suddenly reminded of Amanda when Ramona grabbed her arm. With her free hand, Carina snatched the collar of my uniform shirt "All right," I said quietly not really sure what I was saying all right to. "I'll do better I promise."

She yanked my hair harder and smiled. "It maybe too late…I'll find myself some new friends! Why? Because you and Alicio are failures. But maybe you can redeem yourselves. I'll give you a second chance because I'm nice like that….now run along because I may decide to take the offer back."

Finally she let go of my hair. My eyes were wide with fear as I grabbed my things and rushed out of her room. I heard Carina laugh when I was making my way down the stairs. The house was oddly quiet and all the doors seemed to be closed. Huh. Why didn't I notice that before? Normally, Ramona kept all the doors open to display her furniture, but I didn't feel like dwelling on that. Just before I was about to reach for the door, I heard something in a distant part of the house…sounds of a violin then Ramona's yelling and Amanda's crying. I left the house because I couldn't take it anymore.

I was about to take the taxi directly to my house when I realized I had to get Lucas from the Daycare, so I had to stop the taxi short. Because I was feeling sick, I wanted to go in, get Lucas and come right back. With my large sunglasses on, I entered the daycare. Akira and his aunt were at the counter laughing. She looked up when she saw me.

"Coming to get Lucas?" she asked cheerfully. "He and the rest of the Pokémon were playing a game. I'll get him for you!"

"Thanks," I mumbled.

Akira just stared at me. "What the heck happened to you?" he asked slowly.

"What? Oh…" I looked down and I saw that my uniform looked ruffled and I guess my hair was still a mess from when Carina had pulled it. "It's a long story." When he kept looking at me, I said "congrats on getting first place!" to change the subject.

"Thanks," he said nonchalantly. Akira was going along with me, but he knew something was up.

"You don't sound too excited about it," I noted.

"Because that stuff doesn't matter to me much," said Akira shrugging. "I mean I like doing well and all but my favorite thing about it is making Carina and the rest of the school mad."

"You're awful!" I teased, smiling for the first time.

"Yeah, well maybe," Akira said with a devious look on his face. "The school needs shaking up a bit and to see that tests aren't everything.

The smile faded slightly from my face as I remember where I placed. "They're still really important though. I'm going to have to get a lot better if I'm ever going to hope to compete with you and Carina."

"You can already do that," he told me.

"Yeah right," I scoffed.

"No seriously!" he argued. "The way you answer questions in class, your homework, and our awesome debates in Current Affairs! You're probably smarter than Carina."

"Smarter than Carina?" I repeated in disbelief. "Oh really?"

"Ya really," he answered. "You just need to have more confidence in your abilities."

"Look, if I was as smart as Carina, I'd be getting third place in all the tests and I wouldn't have done so poorly on this past test!" I countered.

He just shook his head. "Told you those tests don't mean everything," Akira told me. "Maybe you just had an off day or something (He was right as usual) But now you've got me curious…"

Before I could say "about what?" his aunt Yume had returned with Lucas who was looking extremely proud of himself. She told me it took so long to retrieve him because he was busy single-handedly owning the other Pokémon in the game they were playing. Yume, like everyone else it seemed, was in love with Lucas. In her case, she loved his spunk or hyper activeness as I called it.

"I'll…see you tomorrow," I said awkwardly as I rushed out the door.

"Okay!" Akira and Yume said at the same time.

Lucas insisted on walking the whole way and I didn't complain. I wanted him to burn as much energy as he could. He was the bright spot of my week and I was growing to love taking care of him more and more. I just felt happier being around him.

And trust me, I needed to feel happy. Aside from Carina's outburst nothing else catastrophic happened. It was just a series of little things that made my week bad: losing my flash drive down a storm drain during a downpour, careless mistakes on homework, accidently burning dinner in an attempt to cook, etc. And I hadn't even faced the worst yet.

~ ~ ~​

Saturday had finally arrived. This would be the first time I'd be this close to Quinn outside of school and I was so nervous. She came into the shop quietly wearing her pink fedora a fitted brown hoodie with a cool design on the back, a long green skirt, and boots. It wasn't something neither I nor anyone else at Veilstone High would wear but I guess it didn't look bad, just unusual. There was one other thing I was worried about too: Should I tell Quinn about Lucas or not? I decided to just let the chips come where they may. If she saw him, I'd tell her—after all she'd proven herself not to be a blabber. If he kept his distance from her, then he'd remain a secret.

For the first couple of hours of work Quinn and I just stayed away from each other. I wanted to talk to her…really I did, but no words would come. Meanwhile she and Miranda, who was also working that day, were chatting away like old friends. I found out what it meant to feel left out. My overly perceptive mom noticed this and decided that Quinn and I should work together in the backroom—she was hoping being in the close quarters would get us to talk to each other. Gee, thanks Mom.

So we're both sitting at a desk looking at lists of stuff and the silence was absolutely miserable. It was deafening. She was not at all enthusiastic about working with me and I really didn't blame her. But finally I couldn't take it anymore.

"So…that's an interesting outfit," I sputtered. I regretted say it already. WHY couldn't I have just said it was nice? Interesting implied that I thought it was weird…But to my surprise she gave a small laugh.

"Heh, this is kinda tame compared to most of my other outfits," she said looking down. She's holding something back, I know it!

More silence followed before I decided to say something again. "Have you always dressed like that?"

"No…it's recent." She looked as though she couldn't hold back what she was going to say anymore. She looked me in the eye and said "did you have anything to do with the website?"

The question I had been dreading the most. "No…technically I didn't. That was all Carina. I just didn't say anything."

"Yeah," Quinn said. "That's what Akira and I thought after a while…"

"I'm really sorry," I said quietly. I felt a little stupid saying it because "I'm sorry" didn't seem to do anything she had been through any justice at all. Almost every day I had seen people being rude to her or heard people saying bad things about her behind her back.

She took a deep breath. "At first I was mad because you didn't say anything to her and thought you were nothing but a big coward. Then I thought about it and realized I was just as big a coward." Quinn sighed. "If any of that makes sense."

That had to be the most I've ever heard her say. I was disappointed that I had nothing else to say so I just nodded. We didn't talk for a little while but I knew we had reached an understanding. Well, I didn't feel that heavy silence anymore. But being called a coward did sting though—even if it was a little true. I had just wanted to keep the peace with my best friend. Just then, I heard a happy squeal from the doorway.

"Riolu!"

I looked up to see Lucas, who had just awakened from a nap, running through the door. He collided with my knees and nearly brought me to the ground.

"Oof," I grunted as I tried to keep my balance. "Good to see you too, Lucas!" I said picking him up.

His eyes lit up as he smiled then looked over my shoulder. "Riolu?" he asked as he gazed at Quinn.

"Lucas, this is Quinn! She works here," I said to him. Riolu really hadn't seen many people my age so he was extra interested in Quinn.

Quinn just stared. "He's so cute! I didn't think you would have a Pokémon!" she said, pleasantly surprised.

"He's still a secret really," I admitted. "Akira is the only person from school who knows about him right now. And that's only because I take Lucas to his family's daycare."

"Wow," Quinn said. "That's actually really cool!"

Well, that was good. For some reason I expected her to be weirded out or mad that Akira would keep a secret like that from her.

"He said ‘Riolu?'" she continued. "He looks like a miniature Lucario! Is that what he evolves into?"

"Yes!" I said. Finally, finally, finally, the ice had broken! I mean really broken! From there, our conversation progressed from other cute Pokémon to the Pokémon back in Johto which was where she was from. I was learning more about here than I ever would've thought. Like the fact that she enjoyed manga, that she lived with just her mom and her little sister, and that she and Akira met in the computer lab before school began. I also found that we had things in common, namely that we loved hanging out around Veilstone. I had never let my façade down like this before. I was starting to believe that Lucas had some kind of effect on me.

The rest of the day went really well and my mom couldn't be happier. I could tell she was proud of herself even if she didn't say anything. Now Quinn and I likely wouldn't talk like this at school, not with Carina around anyway. But maybe I could meet her before school now that she, Akira, and I were all on the same page. I was allowed to hang out with Quinn outside of school too because Mom only said I couldn't hang out with Carina. Maybe this was the start of something new and crazy.

"There is one more thing I want to know," Quinn said before she left for the day. "Why did you give me the coat on the second day of school?"

"Because I didn't want you to freeze to death," was all I said.

~~~​

Monday had come upon us again and this was the day Alicio's brother would reveal his surprise. I had to admit I was as excited about it as he was, but unfortunately neither of us would know exactly what it was until after school. But we found that his brother's surprise wasn't the only exciting thing that would happen that day. Or rather, exciting things…Hyacinth and Amaranth Earnshaw, the two new students arrived on the scene.

It was nearly unheard of for Veilstone High School to get new students this late into the school year because most find they would be too far behind. Anyone who'd come to Veilstone in October had to be ambitious to believe they could make it. And ambition seemed to radiate from both of them.

They were a set of beautiful, brown skinned twin girls—but while their bodies may have looked the same, they had completely different styles. Amaranth had straight black hair that went just passed her shoulders and she was wearing gray skinny jeans, a plaid shirt over a black undershirt and three inch stiletto heels. She wore a silver clip in her hair and held herself like the sophisticated woman she was trying to be with her back straight and shrewd expression.

Hyacinth had wild, wavy black hair that was similar to Carina's when it wasn't straightened. Unlike her sister, this twin seemed edgier and she seemed to have a permanent smirk on her face. She wore a green and pink hoodie, black miniskirt over pink leggings, and shoes that looked like a combination of sneakers and boots. She also had chunky jewelry and three piercings in each of her ears. They had the most confidence I had ever seen from anyone my age—aside from Carina of course.

As they were just touring the school and getting their classes together, I didn't get to find out much about them (I had no idea why they just didn't do that stuff over the weekend, either). However I did have one encounter with them. I was walking with Carina and Alicio when we crossed paths outside of the library after our last class. The twins and Carina met one another's eyes as though they were sizing each other up… After our little meeting, Carina told us exactly what she thought of them.

"They think they can challenge me," Carina said fiercely. "I'm going to have to test them to see if they're worthy of being in my circle. They're names are weird though. What kinds of parents name their kids Amaranth and Hyacinth? Are they dirty hippies like Akira?"

Alicio and I just shrugged. Normally I'd have said something to agree with her but I just didn't have the will too. But she wasn't done yet.

"Who knows, they may be my new best friends," she said tauntingly. She looked me straight in the eye when she said it and I involuntarily flinched. Carina noticed and smiled.

"Who knows," I managed to choke out. She smirked and then walked away saying she was going to talk meet with someone.

"Do you think they're trouble?" I asked Alicio after she was gone.

"I have no idea," he answered, "but they'll make things fun around here."

"Honestly, with Akira and Quinn, I don't know how much more fun I can take," I said.

He laughed as he pulled his ringing phone out of his bag. "Heh, my brother sent me a text message saying my surprise was in Room 104."

"It's in the lounge?" I asked. "I'm even more curious than you now."

"Then let's go," he said. "I'll be praying the whole way that this isn't something stupid and/or embarrassing."

"Like the Valentine's Day—

"I -said- we weren't going to bring that up again!"

We both laughed as we ran to the lounge and I'd say we made it there in good time. Shock crossed both of our faces when we saw what, or rather, who the surprise was. We saw a teenaged boy sitting next to what I recognized as an Infernape. He had green eyes, spiky black hair with purple tips. He was dressed brightly in a black t-shirt with neon green, orange, and pink skulls, skinny jeans, and neon orange and green sneakers. The Infernape was casually leaned back in its chair and like its trainer, it had one foot propped on the table and both had their chairs propped on two legs. The boy looked up when they saw Alicio and me.

"Well, look who finally got here," he said casually while his Infernape copied his expression.

Alicio's look of shock vanished as he smiled. "Mateo? Is it really you?"

Mateo narrowed his eyes as Alicio often did. "Yes, it's really me!" he said mockingly. "Here let me prove it!" He got up and walked over to Alicio and started to ruffle his hair (and pretty heavy handedly too; Alicio's eyes were watering).

"Quit it!" said Alicio punching him in the arm. "I get it, I get it! It was a stupid question!"

I smiled as I watched them fight each other; this had to his older brother. Like Carina's sister, he had a Pokéball (probably Infernape's) on a necklace along with an elaborate silver key. Mateo put his brother in a headlock before he finally noticed me. "Oh, hey! Who is this, Alicio? Your girlfriend?"

If it was possible, Alicio turned redder as I giggled. "No, shut up!" he grunted from his headlock

"Make me!"

And the two were fighting again. Were brothers always this violent with each other? I had never seen this side of Alicio before and I had to admit it was funny. Mateo's Infernape just gazed on as if it were watching an interesting fight. Heh, why not? People watched Pokémon fight all the time. Students who passed by threw stares at the brothers as they punched and kicked each other.

"Seriously! Matt quit before you get us thrown out!" Alicio hissed while being pinned down on the floor.

"Fine, fine," Mateo said, letting his brother up. "I always forget how uptight Veilstone High was."

"Sheesh," Alicio said. His uniform was ruffled and his hair was standing on end, while Mateo came away unscathed. I laughed again.

"I'm sorry for being so rude," Mateo told me. "You must be Miguela."

"That's right," I said. "It's nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too," he said in a more gentle voice. Mateo was completely different from his brother. His voice was calm but it seemed to radiate confidence and power somehow. His green eyes always seemed to be analyzing and calculating his surroundings. "Let me give you a proper introduction. My name is Mateo Sandoval, fighting Pokémon trainer extraordinaire and the older brother of Alicio by two years. And this is my best friend Mimi," he said indicating the Infernape who waved in response.

"Wow," I said in awe. I'm glad I didn't say anything because I assumed the Infernape was male. I didn't know much about Pokémon aside from Lucas, but I could tell Mateo had done a great job training her. The Infernape's fur was shiny and she looked lean and strong. She had the kind of confidence that came with being with a trainer with whom she connected. Mimi gracefully did a flip over the table and landed next to her friend and trainer.

"Show off," Alicio muttered as Mimi shot him a look that said "don't start with me."

"I'd be careful if I were you," Mateo said to his brother. "She can beat you worse than I ever could."

"I don't doubt it," he said as Mimi cracked her knuckles. "By the way, what do you want to do today?"

"Heh," said Mateo rubbing his chin. "I wanted to show you another side of the city."

"What?" said Alicio blinking.

"That's all I'm going to say," Mateo said firmly. "And would you like to come, Miguela?

I didn't want to get in the way of brotherly bonding, but Mateo seemed so fascinating. "Sure," I said, pleasantly surprised by the invitation.

"Hey Mateo," Alicio spoke. "How long have you been back in Veilstone.

"A week, ever since the day I told you about your surprise," he answered.

"What!?" Alicio said outraged. "You've been here a week and didn't even bother coming home?"

"Let's just say we got caught up in something…" Mateo said. "You'll find out what it was soon. Now let's get going because I'm getting restless."

This would certainly be an adventure. I've met a few trainers and watched a few battles but never anything deep. I knew already that seeing the relationship between Mateo and Mimi was going to best part. The Infernape climbed on Mateo's back and hung on like a spider monkey, waiting for him to start walking. Mateo looked mildly annoyed.

"Ok seriously? I've carried you all over Veilstone for the past week!" he complained as he looked over his shoulder at the Pokémon. "You should be carrying me!" And when Mimi rolled her eyes skyward, he said "Two choices: you ride in your Pokéball or you walk. Take your pick."

Mimi thought for a moment then grudgingly got back down on the ground.

Mateo gathered his backpack, coat, and the skateboard he had under the table together and patted Mimi on the back. "There, there, I still love you."

She looked as if to say, yeah I know before flipping and walking out of the door on her hands. We followed her but we were barely out of the door before I heard a familiar voice.

"Wow, an Infernape. And she looks amazing! This doesn't happen at Veilstone High everyday!" It was Akira followed by Quinn who looked as fascinated by Mimi and Akira was. Quinn and I met each other's gaze for a second, unsure of how to treat each other now that we were back in school. In the end, we just smiled at each other bashfully.

"We appreciate the compliment," said Mateo easily. "My name is Mateo Sandoval. Do you and my brother Alicio know each other?"

At those words, Akira's mouth dropped open. "Manpurse boy is your brother? That is not possible. You seem so cool and he's so not." Quinn and I both stifled a laugh.

"OKAY," Alicio said loudly as Mateo mouthed Manpurse boy to himself. "It is REALLY time for us to go now."

"Not so fast," Mateo interrupted. "I like him already. Do you two want to come with us?"

Alicio facepalmed as Akira happily accepted. "I have no clue where you're going but I don't care."

"Wait! I'd have to call my mom and tell her!" said Quinn.

"You can use my phone!" Akira offered.

"Great!"

Alicio didn't look at all happy about this, but I was just amused—that is until I heard Akira's next words.

"You're a Fighting type trainer?" Akira asked. He looked at me out of the corners of his almond shaped eyes with that signature devious look and I knew it was coming. I tried to signal to him not to do it, but I failed. "She has a Riolu and I bet you'd love to see him!" Then it was my turn to faceplam.

"You have a Riolu?" both brothers said at the same time. "You bet I'd love to see him," Mateo answered.

I'll explain later, I mouthed to Alicio who looked really confused and yet really interested. I wish I had been the one to tell Alicio about Lucas but that couldn't be helped now. Oh well. At least we were all on that same page.

"Then we'll have to stop by my family's daycare and pick him up!" Akira said.

"Your family owns a daycare?" Mateo asked curious. "What's that like?"

And that was how that began. Akira and Mateo went back and forth with the questions and I got prodded after a while regarding taking care of Lucas. As surreal and crazy as this all was, it was fun and I couldn't wait to see what on earth Mateo was going to show us. It seemed like everything I was normally worried about was floating away…

OOC: Apologies for it being dialogue heavy at the end. And as always, if anyone notices inconsistencies/plotholes, just PM me ^^

asdpoghgalfdajsdopf

Dear lord I love this. I find it INCREDIBLY awesome to see real life finally butting its head into Miguela's little compartmented world and starting to make her deal with ALL of it instead of having to use different facades to deal with each aspect. There is only one thing you could do to make me hate this fic, but if it happens I will be very intrigued to know the reasoning behind it and will consider it a quite nifty plot twist on your part. Either way, yay for lots and lots of character development/breakdown of Miguela! ^^

Keep up the fantastic work with this, easily one of the most intriguing story telling fashions I have ever seen!

At those words, Akira's mouth dropped open. "Manpurse boy is your brother? That is not possible. You seem so cool and he's so not." Quinn and I both stifled a laugh.

Oh gods, at Akira's statement I was trying really hard not to laugh XD (I failed, by the way)

Excellent chapter =D

Also, before Mateo called his infernape Mimi, I also thought she was male |D
THREE CHEERS FOR CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!

That is all =3

So... what happened on Valentine's Day?

Also, I am pleasantly surprised, I usually don't like first person and diary entries were always a bit iffy for me, but you've really expressed all your characters really well XD I can imagine Catrina's diaries would be full of ego-inflating entries and the lark.

OOC: I already emailed this to a few people but I'm finally posting it here. This was the entry I was most looking forward to writing (and the one I thought would put me into witness protection). Anyway, this is from Akira's POV ^^

It was official. Mateo was the coolest Veilstone native I've met since I've gotten here. And I'm still not convinced that he's related to manpurse boy. I mean maaaan, I now have a new appreciation for Veilstone thanks to this guy. Even though Alicio and Miguela were both from Veilstone, they didn't even know half of the stuff Mateo told us. Like how all Fighting type Pokémon, not just Lucario, were revered here and how Veilstone City was the Pokémon battle capital of Sinnoh—and this was all between the time we left school and when we got to the daycare. I had never heard of this side of the city before and it made me realize what a bubble I was living it. This was the part of Veilstone that I could appreciate. Now maybe if the city wasn't so stupidly cold I'd actually like it.

When we finally got there, I left everyone in the lobby while I went to retrieve Lucas, but I found he was fast asleep so I decided to leave him be. A Pokémon needs his rest. And as I came back, I heard Mateo say "sooo….what do you guys do for fun on the weekends?"

At that, Quinn, Miguela, and Alicio all looked around and shrugged. There were a few mumblings about going to the park, shopping, and driving around the neighborhood before Migeula spoke up. "Well, we have to do a lot of studying if we want to stay in the top ten. That doesn't exactly leave much time for fun."

"That is wrong on so many levels," Mateo said. "For the love of all things good, this is Veilstone City—the best city in Sinnoh if I do say so myself. How can you live in a place like this and do nothing? Huh? Tell me that? I bet you don't even leave this district of Veilstone and see how other people in the city live. How boring is that?"

None of us said anything while. Alicio laughed. "You really haven't changed, have you? You still don't hold back anything."

"That's the only way to be little brother," Mateo said as he rustled Alicio's hair, making it stand on end. "And what the heck, Miguela? You're only fifteen! Life should NOT be all about studying!"

"If you go to our high school, that's what it seems like sometimes," Miguela. "They really do push you hard there."

"I get that," said Mateo. "Really I do. Before I left to go on the road, I watched how hard Alicio worked because he was really into academics. But that still doesn't excuse making school your whole life."

"That's what I've been trying to tell everyone," I said. "But does anyone listen to me? Of course not!" Then I thought about it. "But I guess I don't really have room to talk either." After all, it wasn't like I was painting the town red on the weekends, and neither was Quinn.

"Yep, you poor souls need so much help," Mateo said sagely. "And I'm here to give it to you. So let's be off!"

"But wait!" Miguela said in alarm. "What about Lucas?"

"He's knocked out asleep," I told her. "Do you want to wake him anyway."

"No, no, he should sleep," she said. "I'll get him on the way back."

Mateo said it would be a bit far so we had to take a trolley. Along the way, we listened to Mateo tell stories from his time on the road, which included getting lost in a blinding blizzard on the way to Snowpoint City, and explosive gym battle with Volkner, and a foray into Pokémon contests in a village high in the Sinnoh Range. The things that we found most interesting were his tales of his good friend and arch-rival.

"Arch-rival?" Alicio interrupted. "Don't you mean your girlfriend?"

"Bsh, no!" Mateo said casually.

"You two have been following each other around Sinnoh like two deranged lovers!"

"Whatever, little brother," Mateo said. "We didn't follow each other and she's still not my girlfriend. BUT I digress," he added as Alicio rolled his eyes. "She's...lively to say the least. Okay, crazy is more like it, but yeah. She wants to be the best steel type trainer in the world. We met up in Jubilife and we've been rivals ever since.

"We kept meeting up all over Sinnoh, and each time we met, we had a battle, just to make sure we were on top of our game. I watched her take on the Elite Four and lose this heartbreaker to Lucian's Bronzong with her Lucario. And I told her afterword that I couldn't believe she lost like that and that she should watch me and learn. So when I took the E4 challenge, I got her back…by losing in the exact same way to Lucian's Bronzong with my Lucario. I swear I heard her laughing in the stands after it was all over."

"Yeah, Mateo that was some serious poetic justice on her part," Alicio said laughing.

"Tell me about it," said Mateo, shaking his head. "But I learned a lot so no regrets. I need to find her though. Our last battle ended in a tie…"

The journey to wherever we were going was pretty enjoyable. We asked Mateo all kinds of things about where he'd been and who he had met, well, everyone except Quinn that is.

"You're a quiet one," Mateo said to her after he realized she hadn't said anything.

"I-I was just listening to everyone else," Quinn answered.

"Oh? I don't think I ever caught where you're from," Mateo said. "You don't seem to be from around here.

"I'm from a village north of Olivine City," said Quinn. I laughed to myself because I knew she was always surprised when someone spotted her as an outsider.

"Olivine, huh?" Mateo said considerately. "That's right across the sea from Cianwood City, home of Chuck, the leader of the gym there."

"He's specializes in fighting types, too right?" Alicio asked. He had smoothed his hair back down again.

Mateo looked at him in surprise. "You actually do listen when I tell you about this stuff. I'm shocked!"

"You know, you really don't give me enough credit, Mateo," Alicio said, slightly disgruntled.

"Anyway, I'd really like to meet famous trainers like Chuck," Mateo continued. "So I'm debating if I should head to Kanto, Johto, or Hoenn. Each region has highly esteemed Fighting type specialists."

"So…are you leaning toward one region over the others?" I asked.

"Actually yes," he answered with a slightly roguish look in his eyes. "I'm leaning toward your neck of the woods in Hoenn."

"I think that's a great decision!" I exclaimed. I was proud of my home region if I did say so myself.

"You would," said Alicio and Miguela at the same time and everyone laughed.

"It's between Kanto and Hoenn, but for some reason it's like I'm drawn to Hoenn," said Mateo as he gazed out of the window.

"Why?" we asked him.

"No idea," Mateo responded. "But it's like I'm supposed to be there." Suddenly he turned back to the rest of us. "So that settles it! I'll be going to Hoenn some time after Mom has the baby."

"Awesome! That means you'll be here a while," Alicio said. "It'll be good to have you home."

"Thanks," Mateo said.

The next trolley stop was ours so we got off as the trolley lurched to a standstill.

"Hey, we're in eastern Veilstone close…" Miguela said after we had gotten off. "…close to the Battle District, right?"

"Right," said Mateo. "You've actually been here before?"

"No," Miguela shook her head. "Despite living in Veilstone City my whole life and visiting places all over Sinnoh, I've never been here before."

"Shame," he said. "Because this is a really cool area."

He wasn't kidding either. This area looked like the entertainment district of Veilstone with all the restaurants, arcades, and theaters. There were also many other buildings, but I had no idea what they were used for. I asked Mateo and he said a lot of those buildings were for battling. The atmosphere and the aura here was much different than our part of Veilstone. It…seemed to be full of excitement rather than stress. Maybe it was because the people were so different. A lot of people seemed to dress along the lines of Quinn, Anastasio, and Esmeralda, avant-garde, urban, or just wearing bright colors. They weren't trying to be "sophisticated" like the Miguela, Carina and the rest of Veilstone High. Heh, sorry for the cheap shot there, Miguela. Many of the people here also had Pokéballs or Pokémon—mostly fighting types—with them.

I may have lived on the most isolated island in Hoenn for my whole life, but I did get to visit huge cities once every blue moon. And while I'll always prefer nature to cities, I still liked them. And this area of Veilstone was nearly as cool as Mossdeep, my favorite city in Hoenn. "It's not very active here for two reasons," Mateo said. "The schools around here were late dismissing, and because it's daytime. This place really comes alive at night."

"What high schools are around here?" I asked. Going to a school around this place had to be interesting.

"Rocoso and East Veilstone," he answered. "They're a lot different than Veilstone High…but you'll see when we get there. We're going to Rocoso."

At that Miguela gasped. "W-what? Are you serious?"

Mateo stopped and looked back at her. "Yeah. You got a problem with that?"

To my surprise, she said "Yes, a big one at that! They hate us there! At least we could've changed clothes first."

Realization dawned on Mateo's face and he grinned smugly. "Ooooh, I see now," he said eyeing our uniforms. "I sense a little rivalry."

"Rivalry!?" Miguela said, her eyes wide (I was finding this funny). "They hate us!"

Mateo mockingly scratched his chin while Mimi imitated him. "Hmmm…I wonder why," he said in a slow sarcastic voice. "But really, this school owns Veilstone High like no ones business. I already knew about your school's reputation and Alicio's told me a lot about his school life. But with talking to you both, I've come to one conclusion: you're all insane. Akira, Quinn, why on earth did you pick that school anyway?"

"Because it was the closest one," said Quinn softly.

"Because I wanted to go to the best school in Veilstone," I said. "If I'm going to be a hippie champion for Pokémon rights, I want the best school available…even if I hate most of the student body."

"Eh, I can respect that," Mateo said.

Alicio looked shock. "When I said I wanted to go to the best school in Veilstone, you STILL told me to reconsider!"

"Yeah, well," Mateo started. "For one, you're not a hippie champion for Pokémon rights. For two, I knew you'd have to change into some uptight little prick to fit in with those snobs."

Alicio looked uncomfortable at those words and that made me curious too. Just how much -had- this school changed Miguela and Alicio? I knew Miguela was faking when she was in school, but maybe Alicio was too…Anyway, Alicio was still looking around to change the subject while his brother was still smirking. He found it when he glanced at his brother's wrist.

"Hey," he said frowning. "Where are your bracelet and your Pokétch?"

"Both are currently b0rk'd," he answered. "I let some little kids play with my Pokétch and when they gave it back, it was dead. I have no clue what the heck they did, but I sent it back to Jubilife. And as for my bracelet," he reached into his pocked and pulled it out. "The clasp broke."

"You're diabetic?" Miguela asked and I too noticed the symbol on the silver bracelet.

"Yeah," he said simply.

"How did you manage traveling though?" I asked. I mean traveling on the road was hard enough as it was, without worrying about something like that. That and every time I thought about diabetes I thought of needles—which by the way I am -not- fond of.

"Careful planning," he said shrugging. "Making sure I have enough food and insulin and other supplies in case of emergencies. It's annoying at times but I had to get used to it if I wanted to travel. And I have my Pokémon with me too." Mimi grinned and gave him the thumbs up in agreement.

We were approaching Rocoso High School which was two stories with the bottom half seemingly made of some kind of polished stone and the top looking completely modern. It was a mix of man and nature and I found it pretty cool.

I looked up and saw what looked like a stadium behind the school, but before I could ask about it, Mimi suddenly climbed onto Mateo's back and pointed to his right. I didn't even see the guy who was walking up to our little group and he was freaked out by Mimi's screech. After the shock wore off he just looked annoyed. He was wearing a cool black blazer that had a zipper rather than buttons (maybe he was used to the cold) with a white polo underneath and black pants. I assumed this was the school's uniform but did the school really allow his dyed, bright red hair? Or the graffitied sneakers?

Mateo smiled as he looked at the guy. "Well, well, well, Chase. I didn't expect—

"Save it," he interrupted slightly irritated. Mimi in turn was irritated that he'd interrupted her trainer. "I want a rematch with Megumi. Right here, right now."

"But here is no fun," Mateo said. "It'll have to be in the stadium and it'll be Addison you battle."

Chase twitched. "We can have the battle wherever but it has to be Megumi."

Mateo thought to himself for a moment. "No, I don't think so," he said grinning. "Either you battle Addison or you're screwed." Mimi smiled at Chase which only pissed him off more.

"I'll wipe the smirk of both your face and that stupid monkey's face," Chase said, shaking slightly.

At those words, Mimi leapt from Mateo's back with her fists engulf in flames. She made a swipe at Chase who covered his head and squealed; he didn't look up again until he heard the sound of Mimi laughing. She had faked him out big time and made him look like an idiot. Alicio and Miguela laughed while Mateo shook his head.

"Fail, Chase," he said while Mimi gave him a thumbs down. "Screaming like a little girl is not cool man…"

Chase's face turned bright red. "I'll see you in the stadium," he mumbled as he walked away slowly. "And I'll battle Addison…"

Mateo narrowed his eyes as he watched Chase's back. I expected him to say something deep but he said, "Yep, it'll be fun kicking his butt again."

"You battled him before?" Alicio asked.

"And who're Megumi and Addison?" said Quinn saying something for the first time in a long time.

"Oh good, you spoke again," Mateo said the Quinn who blushed slightly. "Anyway, yeah, I battled him earlier today with Megumi, my Lucario, and thoroughly thrashed him. I don't see how anything will be different this time, but I'll humor him because he does have promise, which is more that I can say for some of these people. And as for Addison, you'll see. You'll get to see some of the school on the way there."

"All right," said Quinn quietly.

We finally walked through the doors of the school and saw that it was modern and cool. We were in the lobby area of the school; there two hallways—one in front of us, and one to the left while there was a staircase next to the offices on the right. We went left where a sign over the hallway pointed to the Battle Stadium. I should tell you about the students here, because they were starting to be dismissed. It turned out that Chase's red hair and shoes were absolutely tame compared to the other stuff I saw.

There were the basics of their uniform: the boys wore the black blazer, pants, and white shirt that Chase wore, and the girls wore black blazer, black, white, and charcoal gray plaid pleated skirts. Then it got crazier from there because a lot of people had some insane accessories that included: wild hair styles and colors, brightly colored socks or stockings (in the girls' case), sneakers, chunky jewelry, uniform altering (the girls lengthening/shortening their skirts, the guys rolling up their pants or making them sag) and the list goes on.

Mateo looked back at out faces and laughed. "Pretty much as long as they wear the actual uniform, and it isn't indecent, they can do whatever else they want," he said as we passed a guy with piercings all over his face.

"This is totally cool," I said. See, this was my kind of thing. I hated the idea of uniforms so this was a really good compromise. Sure, Veilstone let you wear whatever kind of coat or black shoes you wanted, but that was nothing.

"Told you this school owned Veilstone High. And as you can see, a lot of the students have Pokémon too." Mateo said smugly as he ruffled Alicio's hair.

"Will you PLEASE quit doing that!?" Alicio said as he smoothed his hair back down again, but Mateo ignored him and waved a couple of people.

"And sometimes you'll see a group of people wearing the same kind of accessories," Mateo continued. "Like that," he added pointing at a group of girls who all had on scarves and knee length boots. One of them smiled and winked at him. "Those are cliques. Not all of them do that but some do."

Miguela was walking with her arms folded and looking down in an attempt to not draw attention to herself. I didn't see what the big deal was because our uniforms WERE hidden by our coats anyway. Oh well, let her be paranoid. The students didn't ignore Mimi as much as they just didn't make a big deal about her. They were used to Pokémon roaming the halls. As we turned a corner, we saw two boys sitting on a bench playing on handheld games. They were both wearing baseball caps, one had on black, the other red, with the letter V on them and sneakers with a blue lightening pattern which meant they were in the same clique. Or maybe they just liked to dress alike.

The guy wearing the black hat's expression went from excitement to horror. "That…did not just happen. I did not just lose that!"

"Oh yes, mah boy, you did just lose that!" said his friend in the red hat. "And that's another win for my awesome Pokémon team."

"What were they doing?" Miguela asked after we had passed them by.

"Hmm," said Mateo. "Do you know what an RPG is?"

We all said yes. Now I was really surprised that Miguela nodded because it didn't even look like she could turn on a videogame—let alone play one. Okay, there was definitely more to her that met the eye.

Mateo continued smiling. "Anyway, they were playing a Pokémon RPG where you get to play as a Pokémon trainer and train Pokémon and battle your way through gyms and the Elite Four. All of the known Pokémon found in this world, as well as mythical legendary Pokémon are programmed into the games and all of them can be captured."

I could already see where this was going. "So basically, repressed teenagers trying to live out their fantasies of grandeur and adventure?"

"Hey, I wouldn't rag on it like that," Mateo warned me. "Those games take a lot of strategy."

"Seriously?" Maybe I was a little quick to judge these people, but I had to know how playing those games could possibly require strategy. So I waited for Mateo's answer.

"Yeah, there's a whole culture around it," Mateo answered. "Because the games give people the option of battling real life people with the Pokémon they've trained and that's where the fun begins. There's a lot more to training Pokémon in those games that just beating random Pokémon. A lot more, as in it would make your head spin if I tried to explain it. It's simplified in some areas and harder in others."

"Try us," said Alicio. "Because it sounds interesting."

"Fine then," Mateo said. "You were warned! Okay, each Pokémon has its strong points and weak points just like their real life counterpart. Take Infernape for instance. They're big on speed and offense and that's the way they're programmed in the games as well. Their weakness in defensive powers is also there. In other words, most of the physics of the real world can be found in the games."

"So in other words, players still have to know a Pokémon strengths and weaknesses to do well?" I asked.

"Right," said Mateo. And then he suddenly smiled. "You all looked interested so why don't you look up the rest on your own?"

"Sounds cool," said Quinn. "I'll look it up online!"

"Nice," Mateo said. "That's how most people learn about it anyway."

"One more thing," Alicio interrupted. "Is there any rivalry between trainers like you and RPG players?"

"Eh, for the most part we respect each other's art form," Mateo answered. "Occasionally someone from one side may diss on the other, but they always get shot down later. Well, here we are!"

I didn't realize the stadium was connected to the school until we stepped into a huge lobby thing. There were three sets of double doors and I could see the coliseum-like stadium beyond the small windows. A huge screen was high above the center door, but it was currently turned off.

"While Veilstone High School is big on academics, Rocoso High is big on Pokémon battles," Mateo explained. "They have Pokémon battle teams like they have Debate Teams at other schools."

"Wow," said Miguela. "So can we go in now? I want to see the stadium."

"Ooh, enthusiastic are we?" Mateo asked. "Yeah, we can go in." With that he opened the door for us and we went in.

The place was HUGE. I don't even have the words to explain it.

"Good grief," Quinn said in awe. "How big is this school's budget to build this place?"

"Oh, the school didn't build it," Mateo said as he led us to some seats on the bottom row near the field. "The stadium was here first and they tacked the school on later. But the school gets a lot of money for renting out the stadium for other events in the summer."

There were people already in the stands and people trickling in from other entrances. I looked down to see Chase was already on the field talking to two referees (I could tell it was him from the hair). As we were about to sit down, a pretty blonde girl with her long hair in a high ponytail looked up at Mateo. She had on pink knee high socks and white dress shoes.

"Oh good, you're here!" she said. She had a laptop on her lap and floating above the keyboard was a Rotom!

"Whoa, I can't believe you have a Rotom! They're supposed to be really rare!" I said. I probably sounded like a little kid but I didn't care. It was a Rotom!

"Yeah, they are," she said. "I first made friends with this guy after we found him in our refrigerator when I was about six. Isn't that right, Phantasm?"

Right, so the Rotom are technically genderless, but if she called it a he, why not? Phantasm flew around the girl's head once before taking his place back over her keyboard.

"Hey guys, this is Ginger," Mateo said. "She's a junior here and a technology genius."

"Thanks for the compliment," she said as she pulled a tripod and an HD camera out of her bag. "The stadium will fill up fast when the people here find out about this rematch—and mostly because of that guy." She was talking about a student next to Chase. He had some kind of weird hair style that you see on models on the runway or something. "He probably already sent out an announcement on the listserv."

"Mhmm," said Mateo. "I'd better get down there because it already looks like he's agitated."

Ginger quickly put the camera back into its bag. "While you're going, can you give this to Tyler (I assume this is weird hair style guy). He was supposed to get it earlier."

"No problem," Mateo said as he took the bag. "Yo, Mimi, do you want to stay here or come with me?"

The Infernape climbed on his back and pointed toward the field. She said something to Mateo to which Mateo. "And I'm sure you'll do a good job of it too."

"What did she say?' Alicio asked.

"She said she was going to be giving tips to show Addison how it's really done," Mateo explained. "He's a bit new at this style of battling. Ginger can you explain?"

"I sure can!" she said cheerfully. I was wondering what style of battle this was because I was only aware of one kind.

Mateo waved and walked down to the field. I could see Chase's eager expression; he'd been waiting for this moment since…this morning when Mateo kicked his butt.

"Okay!" Ginger said. "They're about to do something called freestyle battling." When we all looked clueless, she laughed and continued. "It's a different style of battling that uses limited trainer commands. The trainer may call out the names of attacks occasionally, or even moves that aren't necessarily attacks. A really good freestyler may not even speak the entire battle. You really have to be in tune with your Pokémon for this—even more so than regular battling. As Mateo said, Addison is new at this so this will be interesting."

"I'll have to see this in action," I said. "Alicio, have you ever seen your brother battle?"

"Yeah…"he said. "A few times plus when he battled in the Pokémon League tournament."

"They're starting!" Quinn said grinning.

Mateo and Chase had taken their positions at opposite sides of the field while Mimi joined Tyler off to the side. "Ready to go?" Mateo asked.

"Oh yeah," Chase said. He pulled a Pokéball from inside of his jacket and released his Pokémon. "Come on out Nolan!" It was a Monferno who appeared with a flurry of punches and kicks. It didn't quite have the finesse that its evolved form had, but he was getting there. Mimi looked on interestedly.

"And it's your turn Addison," said Mateo, releasing his Pokémon. Addison was a strong and powerful looking Gallade with absolutely lethal looking arm blades. The Pokémon beckoned to Nolan to make the first move. "I'd like to warn you, Chase." Mateo said. "Addison is unlike any Gallade you've ever seen."

"Sure, sure," Chase said impatiently. "Let's just get this started."

Nolan's fists began to glow as he ran toward Addison. He launched series of Mach Punches at Addison and I could hear the wind from the attack from the stands. Mateo was right; he DID look promising—keyword being look because Nolan's attacks didn't seem to be doing much damage.

Oh, he was landing hits, but Addison was blocking every punch with his arms which were glowing with blue psychic power. Chase frowned as he tried to figure out a solution. I had watched Hoenn league battles on TV and watched my friends battle back home, but it was nothing like this. Addison put his long legs to work as he dodged Nolan's powerful kicks and punches.

I was hypnotized by how Nolan used all four of his limbs, but the Monferno was no match for Addison's skill even if the Gallade was new to freestyling. At one point, Addison bent over backwards to evade a Fire Punch and used psychic power to flip and land on his feet and continued to defend itself. I couldn't tell who was more frustrated: Chase or Nolan. The Monferno launched another Fire Punch at Addison, but to his surprise the Gallade Teleported behind him.

"Hey! You can't use Teleport in a freestyle battle!" Chase shouted.

Mateo raised an eyebrow. "Since when?"

Chase look of anger faded as he pondered the question. "Err, nevermind," he said sheepishly.

"That's what I thought," Mateo said. "Now it's time to really get let them have it, Addison!"

The Gallade's arm blades began to glow white as he crossed them like swords and he did a series of combat poses. I knew this had to be Swords Dance. Then, Addison went on the offensive with almost sadistic pleasure. I haven't seen anything like it since I saw the expression on Carina's face when she was putting down some poor freshmen last week. Nolan just couldn't dodge Addison's slashes, punches, and kicks. I noticed Addison was only using his psychic power to defend and not to attack. It was pretty much over when Addison Teleported behind Nolan again and kicked the Monferno in the back hard.

Chase watched in horror as his Pokémon fell to the ground like a ton of bricks. He looked like he'd been the one to get kicked in the back. Nolan struggled to get back up, but I saw a cruel gleam in Addison's eyes. Uh oh I was thinking. The Gallade promptly used Thunder Wave on Nolan.

"Addison…" Mateo warned in a low voice. "You were doing well up to this point, don't ruin it now."

Addison looked slightly disappointed as Mateo rolled his eyes. The Pokémon pondered for a moment then his expression cleared. He used one last powerful Slash attack to end the battle. I was surprised at how short it was, but maybe I shouldn't have been. The entire stadium erupted in cheers; there were far more people than before. Ginger was right: word had spread fast.

"Well, that was something," she said. Phantasm moved to hover above her shoulder. "Pretty good for Addison's first time."

They both recalled their Pokémon. Mateo told Chase to follow him as he and Mimi walked back to us. "That was totally amazing!" said Miguela once the two had made it back to us.

"Glad you liked it," said Mateo smiling.

Chase, however, didn't look so cheerful or eager now. "Looks like I still have a lot of training to do."

"Heh, trainers always have to work harder to improve on things no matter how good they are," Mateo said. "Two tips for you though: One work on Nolan's speed because his Mach Punches aren't nearly fast enough. Two, you're not advanced enough to not use commands yet, so don't go that route now."

"You're right," Chase admitted. "I'll be working on those things next."

"And I'll be working with Addison more," Mateo said.

"But it did really well!" said Quinn. "What kind of things do you need to work on?"

Mateo enlarged Addison's Pokéball and held it in his hand as he explained. "Addison has a really bad habit of wanting to draw things out instead of being concise like you need to be for freestyling. After that Thunder Wave, I knew I had to stop him. If I had let him have his way he would've started using Double Team, False Swipe and who knows what else. We would've been here forever."

"That's…a little sadistic," Ginger said with an awkward smile as Chase gave a shaky laugh at what his Pokémon had just been saved from.

"Yeah, I told you we're working on it," Mateo said easily. "By the way, Chase, I'm coming back here tomorrow for training. Would you like to join me?"

"Sure," he said, standing up. "I'll take Noland to the Pokémon Center now and then head home."

"All right," Mateo said. "SO!" He clapped his hands together. "What do you guys want to do next? There's the arcade, the restaurants, the game corner. And there's also this—

"Uh, Matt? It's time to go home," Alicio said. "We actually have something called school tomorrow. And we have homework. AND not to mention you still haven't been home yet yourself."

"Geeze, fine then!" said Mateo, annoyed as Ginger giggled. "But come Friday night, I'm taking you all back here so you can really see what this place is like."

"Fine with me," said Miguela and Quinn at the same time.

I really didn't want to go home or go to school tomorrow, but I knew I had to. I finally had found a place in Veilstone that was more my style and I was definitely coming back more often. If I had this much fun on a Monday, I could only imagine what the weekend was like.

OOC: I, Carmen Lopez, promise not to give another character of mine a Lucario...especially a female Lucario >>

Already gave you most of my feedback in chat, but I figured I might as well redo some of it here. :3

This was another great entry, I like that we get to see some more of Veilstone here, more of what we saw in CoGV, and hints at seeing even more. ^^
The part you were worried about was completely fine and was rather ironic in my mind. :3

Can't wait for more!

I remember this =3
I gave you most of the feedback in chat, which means it was awesome =3

"Because I wanted to go to the best school in Veilstone," I said. "If I'm going to be a hippie champion for Pokémon rights, I want the best school available…even if I hate most of the student body."

Like I said before, that line is win 8D

Hey, you managed to find a way to incorporate the games into this fic! Awesome work.

The freestyle battle was awesome! I guess this would be similar to just letting Pokemon spar, correct?

That Gallade... I

OOC: Quinn is up now!

Dear Diary, Tuesday started off with a bang…I must warn you that this will be another long entry about only one day, but hey, work with me.

A little background though: I had a really good time yesterday going to eastern Veilstone with Alicio's brother Mateo, but apparently it wasn't as good a time as Akira had. He was STILL talking about it. The little field trip did make me think though. I saw how well the Rocoso students got along with their Pokémon (as well as Miguela and Lucas), so maybe being friends with a Pokémon wasn't such a bad idea…for the future anyway. Things are getting tighter at home money wise. I mean, we barely made rent this time and that was with my salary too D: (Stupid higher than average electric bill, we'll have to cut back on the heat, but I digress).

Luckily, Mom wasn't getting bent out of shape about it like she did about things back home. That was a good sign. And even with money getting tighter, we were still able to pay for María to go on the field trip with the rest of her grade, because we all know that missing a field trip in elementary school with all your friends was a tragedy of epic proportions. Aside from monetary issues, we were also having problems from relatives. We didn't really tell anyone we were going to Sinnoh, we didn't leave a number, and yet they still found us. Maybe if we had changed our names, we could've done a better job of hiding. I was telling this story to Akira and Miguela at the coffee shop before school. Carina was away doing "important things" (yeah, I have no idea either) while Alicio was spending time with family. He would join us later at school.

Akira: So, I take it you were never on good terms with these relatives?
Me: Nope, and the pathetic part is that it's coming from both sides of my family. My dad walked out on us a while back and his relatives are still bothering us. Especially his sister. And Mom's family is just pathetic.
Miguela: That's awful. How are they bothering you though?
Me: Money usually. They seem to think we have a lot of money, especially since we moved to Sinnoh. But it's partially their fault that we had to come here in the first place…

Maybe it was the look on my face that made them change the subject. That was good because I really didn't want to talk about it. Not right now anyway…instead Miguela changed the subject to clubs and which ones we wanted to join. Unlike other schools, you could sign up for clubs at any time during the first semester and not just the first couple of weeks. She said she was joining the Economics Club, the National Honor Society, Junior Economists of Sinnoh, and International Affairs Club. Akira and I just looked at her. We agreed that clubs were important and all, but she could dig her own grave by herself. But it'd be interesting to see how she pulled it off.

Me: Maybe I should join the Film Club. It's my favorite class and extracurricular activities may help me big time. Besides, half of the clubs seem to require you to have really good grades and that's not good for a C student like me.
Akira: *Laughs
Miguela: *Looks shocked. You're a C student? Seriously? You have to do something!
Me: *Shrugs. It could be worse. And besides my grades are getting better everyday! I have a 78 now I'll have you know.

Miguela was still looking pretty worried but Akira just laughed again. He was likely the only other person in school who didn't make a big deal about grades. I totally appreciated it. And thanks to Esmeralda, I knew my grades could actually be worse. I looked around the coffee shop at my perfectly composed classmates and wondered how many were stooping to just to keep up, how many of them were cheating…

We left the warm comfort of the coffee shop a few minutes later to head to school. Akira, Miguela, and I talked and laughed the whole way. Mateo's appearance and out little field trip had broken down nearly all the barriers Miguela and I had between us. I could tell the both of us were terrified of being seen together in front of Carina, but yeah ^^; She'd take notice eventually, because people were starting to whisper about Miguela and Alicio and why they were hanging out with Akira and me. I asked her about it as we walked into school.
Me: Miguela…do you think people are…weirded out by you and Alicio hanging out with us?
Miguela: I'm not really sure. Things have been changing lately; you've noticed right?

Yeah, I had noticed some things had changed. People weren't being as mean to me and they were starting to really take notice that Akira was really smart. Esmeralda, Anastasio, Akira and I were so out of the loop of this school, and we didn't care. I know I was done trying to fit in at this school by now (well at least I thought I was…more on that later). But even so, it wasn't a change on a huge scale or anything.

Miguela: Hmm, we should wait until the next test to really see if there will be some change…

Ugh, yet another stupid school wide test. Only this one has extra stuff attached to it and everyone was buzzing about it (does anyone even say ‘buzzing' anymore? Not sure). This test would be the second biggest test of this semester and would be one of the deciding factors in who would be ambassadors for the school. And what is an ambassador you ask? Basically the top boy and girl from each grade level would be picked to represent the school alongside the senior SGA president and vice-president. If you wanted to become an ambassador, you also had to submit an essay.

I already said I wasn't doing it, but to my surprise, Akira decided to enter and he persuaded Miguela to do the same. She only blushed and said she had no chance of winning next to Carina. And I gotta say, most of the school felt the same way. Akira disagreed of course. He told Miguela that he'd already said that she was smarter than what she gave herself credit for and she just flushed deeper. He gave her that ‘knowing' smile. That inside joke smile.

Hmmm…this was happening more often now. Perhaps it was because she and Akira see each other more because of Lucas. It made -me- feel awkward but there was no WAY I was saying anything about it >> I was relieved when I heard Alicio's voice behind us. He was in a really good mood this morning, and he looked less uptight than he usually was (probably thanks to his brother too). He was also talking more, but it still wasn't much. He was just more enjoyable to be around now. It was…kinda cute.

I didn't just say that—especially after what I said in the previous paragraph. Ramble mode on: It's too soon to have a crush on someone! (At least for me anyway). And maybe this wasn't even a crush—maybe it was more like a fascination. Yeah, that was it! I just found him interesting and wanted to know more about him…Okay that sounds nearly as bad as having a crush on him. I was running through all this in my head very quickly until Alicio finally reached us.

Alicio: Guys, you'll never guess what
Akira: Hmm, does it involve telling us about the Valentine's Day incident?
Alicio: *Shocked* Miguela! I thought we wouldn't mention that again!
Miguela: I'm sorry! It just slipped out!
Alicio *Coughs* Anyway, let's get to the lounge so I can show you what my dad gave me last night.

As we walked I happened to glance at some of the students as we past by. Like I said before, people were being less mean, but that didn't mean they'd totally stopped. Sigh…just ignore them, I told myself. But I couldn't ignore that one of the assistant principals was coming toward us.

AP: Aaah, Miss Ross (his voice was as sneering as his expression). Please remove that offensive hat. Students are beginning to complain, and you don't want to provide a distraction to your hardworking peers do you?
Me: No…(I was working hard not to roll my eyes)
AP: Then please remove it and if I see it again, you'll be suspended. Have a nice day.

A few people giggled as the assistant principal walked away. Akira and (to my surprise) Alicio were about to say something, but I waved my hand to stop them both. I told them I didn't want them to get in trouble over me. But either way, I appreciated the gesture as I put my fedora in my bag. Now, I know most schools didn't allow hats to be worn in doors, but there was no rule about it in the school handbook at this school. That was probably what Akira and Alicio were going to bring up.

We got to the lounge where Alicio showed us his dad's gift: a sleek, ultra thin black tablet PC—and the most awesome tablet I'd ever seen at Veilstone. It had dual screens and was entirely touch-screen. But I wasn't really paying attention to all of the stuff his tablet could do…It was just cool to see Alicio not so uptight. His brother's words about Alicio's conforming to fit in at this school were totally true. Alicio seemed genuinely happy to be talking and explaining things to us. I was also noticing how pretty his golden eyes were…

Okay wait. Am I -really- thinking about how pretty his eyes were? It's even embarrassing writing it down -_- To me, Alicio was like a mysterious enigma—more so than even Akira was, and I wanted to know more about him. Once Alicio was done showing off his tablet he and Miguela announced that they were going to a short study session and they left. It took everything for me to not watch Alicio walk away…

Now that you've heard the ramblings of my mind, here is where I get to the bang. Akira and I decided to go to the library, but we decided to take the shortcut Anastasio showed us (a semi-hidden doorway that led to a service stairwell and hallway). We slipped in under the cover of a machine droning. But even the noise didn't stop us from overhearing something very interesting just as we were about to turn the corner.

We ducked back beneath the stairwell when we realized we weren't and were amazed when we found out who it was: Carina and a girl from our Pre-cal class who was sobbing. Thinking fast, Akira pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and started recording, being careful to remain hidden. That wasn't too hard: we were in the dark, while Carina and the girl were in the light. It felt like we were super secret agents on the trail of a thief (HUZZAH!) But when I heard Carina's voice, which reminded me of sweet poison, I got chills and all the hatred I had for her came back with a vengeance.

Carina: Why are you crying? I'm doing you such a big favor by keeping your secret. (She was running her fingers through the blonde girl's hair). You know that right?
The girl: *Lip trembles. Yes, I'm so grateful (her face sure didn't show it

Psycho Monkey

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!! My Quinn/Akira shipping pair just got shattered! D:<

XD Regardless, it was still a great chapter what with the plot thickening and all. I can sense Carina's fall from grace in the near future in more ways than one and that gives me a warm and tingly feeling. I love watching people like her getting humiliated!

Anyway, I still luvs you (even if you trounced my favorite pairing) and I look forward to the next entry. ^^

Nice flower names, Carmen. I just noticed that.

Yay! Miguela/Akira! That's a sweet pairing. I wouldn't have really expected it until now.

OMG, Quinn wears a fedora?! That's awesome! I love that character so much more, now. I wear one, too!

Excellent chappie. I want to read more about the cute little Riolu soon, please.

OOC: Ooookay, this is something that was just randomly floating around in my head. I wrote it down in my journal and I decided to post here XD It's really short--about three pages long in Word. Basically it's three POVs that I don't normally write from. And now let the randomness begin. ^^

Karyme Li

Well, I did it I was thinking to myself as I left school. Asking Akira for help was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but I didn't want to get stuck in the quicksand that was pre-calculus. Perhaps the wanderer with his hooded companion was right: knowing when to ask for help was a sign of strength. It sure didn't feel like it. If anyone else found out what I did, I'd be Black Hole fodder for a month—perhaps the rest of the year.

I allowed my feet to take me through a familiar path through the city—a path I had not taken in a very long time. It was a path no one from school took. My mother and I used to come this way a lot but that stopped after she remarried. I sighed deeply, inhaling the cold hair. My family…we eat together, we talk together, but we don't connect.

We are all lost in our own world. My parents are absorbed in their jobs and whether they look good to everyone else. My stepbrother spends nearly all his free time locked in his room—lost in the internet, his videogames, and disinterested in everything else. He's very intelligent and gets good grades, but he was just…there when he wasn't locked in his room. My stepsister is lost in the atmosphere in Veilstone Middle just like everyone else it seems. She aggressively worked to prepare herself for the challenges of Veilstone High School—both academically and for the harsh competition.

And as for me? I write down my thoughts when I feel emotional. It was pretty much my only outlet because it wasn't like I could let it out any other way. And sometimes it felt like I was going to break in the pieces…all I really wanted to do go off into the city and do something fun. But I couldn't do that, and that just left writing. It makes me feel better, but now I needed more help—help that I could only find at the building that was now in front of me. As I expected, it hadn't changed at all.

It was not as grand as the one in Hearthome City, but it was still magnificent. I entered the cathedral like building and was immediately treated the huge, beautiful stain glass window. It depicted the original one and its three creations along with the meteors that created Veilstone streaking through the sky behind the four. It was all very familiar and nostalgia flooded through me. I looked at the narrow benches that decorated the building and the lit candles on the shelves lining the walls. They were placed there by people who did the same thing I was about to do.

I reached into the stone basin and pulled out a tea light, took it to one the four lamps that gave light to the building and lit it. The candles flickering flame symbolized my hopes that I could pull up my grades and regain my parent's approval and my prayers that no one would catch me and my wishes that my family would learn to connect.

I placed my candle on one of the shelves between two other candles that had been put there earlier. Maybe it was the building's aura or maybe it was because I had taken action, but I was already feeling better and calmer. I closed my eyes and turned my focus to relieving my stress.

Alicio Sandoval

My house was relatively quiet for the moment. Everyone and all the Pokémon were doing their own thing. I was trying to finish my homework, but I was currently having trouble focusing. That was rare—my family was always amazed that I could study through anything: personal crises, family gatherings (and believe me, my mom's side of the family was insane), my little brother's school play (I knew Frankie was a good singer, but half of those kids were tone deaf).

What was bothering me was something that's been on my mind for a while now. And the fact that Mimi and Mateo were in my room sitting on my bed trying to bore a hole into the back of my head by staring wasn't really helping matters. Normally, I could've ignored them easily, but today, with my mind all over the place, it was very, very irritating. And they knew it.

"Mimi," Mateo said in a loud, mocking whisper. "I think we're getting to him."

I rolled my eyes. Mimi said something to Mateo and he laughed. I spun around in my chair and said "Would you both quit it!"

"Ha, yeah right," Mateo said, ignoring me (he does this a lot). "We can tell you're bothered. Mimi wants to know who the girl is."

That brought me up short and I hesitated in horror that I was that easy to read. "How did she know?" I blurted out without thinking. To my utter surprise, Mateo was shocked.

"Wait, wait, waaaaaait," he said, his green eyes getting wide. "You're really worried about a GIRL? Wow….Mimi was only kidding." He couldn't hold back the short laugh.

I turned back around in total shame. Why couldn't I have just played it cool like Matt would've done? Mateo and Mimi both started to laugh now and it was irritating me, but I did a better job of holding it in this time. After a few moments, I stood up and glared at them to both stop them from laughing and so he'd have to look up to me since he was still sitting down (authority ftl). Yeah, it was stupid, but I needed something on my side.

But to my disappointment, Mateo wasn't fazed by me looking down on him (physically). "Sooo, who's the girl? And don't tell me it's Miguela."

"No," was all I said.

"Mateo looked me straight in the eye. "Is it that girl you told me about, Carina? The one who has you whipped?"

Now that was a sucker punch. "She does NOT have me whipped!" I said in shock. Couldn't believe he took it there…But I'd tell him all about my theories about Carina after I deal with this.

"From what you've said, it sounds like this girl is a monster," Mateo was smug. "And I haven't even met the beastie girl yet. Now back to the subject."

He looked at me expectantly. I sighed and was quiet for a moment. It didn't always look like it, but my brother and I got along really well. Not to mention he was good for advice. Maybe he could help me out with this situation. "It's Quinn."

"Oh, ha ha," Mateo laughed. "Let's see…from the impression I got from her…she's quiet, you're quiet. She's a bit awkward, you're a bit awkward. You two are a match made in heaven." He was kidding around, but then he was serious. "Now what's the problem?"

"I've kinda liked her for a while now," I tried to explain. "I want to ask her to the dance in April even though it's months away, but I can't.

"That's not telling me what the problem is," my brother said. "Is there someone else stopping you? Like that jerk Carina?"

"No," I replied as I started to pace a bit. "Carina has nothing to do with this. We haven't said it out loud or anything, but we aren't even friends anymore (not that we ever were, I thought to myself). One part of it is that I always end up doing something stupid or stick my foot in my mouth whenever I try to approach her."

I shuddered at all the bad memories. The first day of school…she didn't react the way I thought she would. She was genuinely hurt by what we said. And she didn't even work out that it was me who gave her the stockings D: Then there was the first time I worked up the nerve to talk to her in the computer lab (I failed and subsequently walked away with a stupid nickname thanks to Akira), the slam webpage (that I wasn't even INVOLVED in, yet people seem to think I was). And all those times I didn't stand up to Carina for her (even if it would be sweeter if Quinn was the one who pwn'd her). Dang, I should be grateful she wants to even breathe the same air as me—let alone talk to me.

"What's another part?" Mateo said. He was amused, and he probably knew what I was going to answer, but I said it anyway.

"She doesn't like me back," I sighed. "It's Akira she likes; I just know it." I wasn't jealous if him per se, but I was a bit jealous that he had a better relationship with her than I did.

This time it was Mimi who interrupted and Mateo said, "You read my mind Mimi" and high fived the Infernape. "Mimi wants to know how you know she likes Akira."

I started to say something, but I stopped. I didn't want to believe she liked him, but… "Okay, maybe I don't know for sure. But I can feel it," I said, a bit defeated.

"Alicio, you're being a bit pathetic right now," said Mateo. He shook his head.

"Gee, thanks," I mumbled.

"No, really," Mateo said. This time he stood up. At 6'1 he was four inches taller than me (I couldn't wait to hit my growth spurt). "Just ask her out. Simple as that. Or better yet, you could even bring her and some friends over for dinner or something. She'll probably like the second one better."

Huh…he was right about that. Inviting Miguela, Akira, and Quinn over would work because they seemed fascinated by my brother. They'd definitely come.

"And don't forget you still have this Friday night," Matt reminded me.

"Oh right," I said. I actually had forgotten about that. Now I was really looking forward to it. "And I'll invite them over too. Maybe in the next couple of weeks." Who knows maybe I'd get to take her to the dance after all.

"That's the spirit," he said stretching. "But yeah, I'm going downstairs to get something to eat."

And why I didn't see this coming, I have no idea. Before I could even react, he punched me in the shoulder—hard. I didn't let him see it, but it seriously hurt; it felt like he dislocated my shoulder.

"Uh oh! Did I hurt your widdle shoulder?" Mateo said as seriously as he could when he trying not to laugh. "Hey Mimi, could you apply some heat to his boo-boo?"

Fire engulfed both of the Infernape's hands as she started to walk towards me.

"Okay, both of you OUT of my room," I said and I chased them into the hallway and they both laughed at me. I slammed the door behind me and rubbed my shoulder. Dang it, that was going to hurt for a while too. But I didn't really care.

Interlude

(OOC: This is at a work-out gym somewhere in East Veilstone for Pokémon. The facility is huge and the Pokémon are given the freedom to go as they please here to an extent. Akira decided to go with Mateo and brought his Pokémon along as well. This is solely from the POV of the Pokemon. Addison and Ojore are in one corner of the gym, and hilarity is about to ensue XD)

"Addison…" Ojore growled, stopping his practice session with the punching bag. "Just end it already! You're driving me crazy!"

The Gallade has his foot on the back of a Lopunny he was tormenting. "Aw, Ojore," Addison complained to the Hitmontop. "You're no fun at all! This Lopunny asked for a fun practice match and I gave it to her. :)"

Ojore sighed. "Oh for goodness sakes! Mateo hates it when you do this. What's so fun about torturing your opponents and drawing it out anyway?"

Addison's face curled into a cruel smile. "Everything is fun about it. I love watching Pokémon slowly, ever so slowly, gradually weaken as my attacks sap more than just their energy to battle. Hnn, Thunder Wave, Double Team, Teleport, and False Swipe…who knew those moves could break a Pokémon mentally and physically like this. Mmm." Addison gave a little laugh in pleasure as he thought of the moves. Will O' Wisp worked well too—but it had a draw back. A burn was really painful, but it would cause a Pokémon to faint eventually. It was the same way with Toxic. And Addison was all about keeping the Pokémon conscious to feel the torture; Ojore knew this.

The Hitmontop threw his hands up. "Addison, this is disgusting. If you're done toying with her, then let her go!"

"No ;)" said Addison simply. "Oh?" He looked down and saw a young Ralts watching him with stars in her eyes. He knew that look very well. Ojore groaned. "And what can I help you with?" Addison said cheerfully. The Hitmontop marveled at the way Addison could be so pleasant, yet be such a sicko at the same time.

"Uh, um, my name is Izumi," she said. "And I was w-watching you from over there." Izumi pointed to a place a short distance away where a Treecko was looking on in horror. "You have a w-wonderful battle style."

"Well now," Addison said, his eyes brightening. "Would you look at this, Ojore. SOMEONE appreciates my style." Izumi looked delighted that Addison liked her compliment.

"I suppose with all the Pokémon on earth there has to be one delusional enough to," Ojore said under his breath.

"B-but I was wondering," Izumi continued. "Would you be willing to m-maybe, be my boyfriend?" It looked like the Ralts didn't even notice the Lopunny who was still struggling against paralysis, frustration, and Addison's weight on her back.

Ojore looked as though he wanted to throw up while Addison looked delighted at the sweet, but very forward Ralts. "Well, Izumi, you see as flattered as I am, you're just a wee bit young for me. Evolve twice then come back."

Izumi looked positively happy for the not so outright rejection. "Okay! I'll evolve into a BEAUtiful Gardevoir and then I'll come back!"

Addison smiled again as he watched the Ralts run back to her Treecko friend who was now facepalming…the same thing Ojore was doing behind him, only the Himontop was shaking and looked as though he were about to explode.

"ADDISON!" Ojore shouted. A few Pokémon in the vicinity stared.

"All right, all right," Addison said, still cheerful, but it was tinged with disappointment because his fun was about to end. He increased the weight on Lopunny's back. Addison's left arm blade glowed red and in the next second, Lopunny screeched as the Gallade made the final blow with Psycho Cut.

OOC: Alicio's part was the one I was most concerned about, lol.

I'm silly, I got confused with Matt and Mateo, because Matt has an extra 't' D: I was wondering where the hell these people where going/coming from.

Also, the last bit in the Pokemon training area is very strange, also slightly worrying though I gather that was the point.

Edit: Coolie-oes, now even my half-asleep brain can understand what's going :p

Silly me for not posting after the last chapter!

Love love loooovvveee everything you have going on here, you weave such a wonderful tale bouncing from viewpoint to viewpoint, showing everyone and even their pokemon now! Also... I am now fully in the AlicioxQuinn shipping boat as they do seem quite adorable to be enraptured by each other and yet still think that the other doesn't like them in that way. :3

Aw…the little Ralts is so cute! I loved the bit about the Pokemon workout area interlude. Seeing in the mind of a Pokemon is always good.

(OOC: Okay, two things. One, this entry was massive and I had to split it in two. Miguela's entry covers two days, and this is the first five pages-- which is Thursday. The next part will (hopefully) be here on Tuesday as I still have to research a couple of things. Two, this entry doesn't have a lot of action, but I like it at any rate. Either way, I hope you enjoy it)

Thursday

Tension and excitement were in the air Thursday as the weekend approached. It was a cold, dreary day, but even so, my day started off okay…eating breakfast with my family, playing with Lucas, getting in a fight with my sister—the usual. I gathered my things together and got Luca ready to go to day care. He always enjoyed the trip and usually he wanted to walk rather than me carrying him (or run rather, I was always tired by the time I got there from chasing him). But today, he wanted to be in my arms. He kept staring up at me with those eyes of his and I almost melted from cuteness. When I got to the Yamakage's daycare, I saw that Akira hadn't left yet. He was busy trying to mediate an argument between his Treecko and Ralts.

"Izumi, you can't just fly off the handle just because Ryoma dislikes your crush," Akira told the Ralts.

But Izumi wasn't having it and continued to glare at Ryoma who had his arms folded and his nose in the air.

"Ryoma, you know you could be a bit less…harsh when you try to "help" Izumi," Akira said. The Treecko started to say something, but Akira interrupted him. "Yes, Ryoma, even if you do think her crush is a creeper."

"Treecko," Ryoma said indifferently.

Lucas jumped down from my arms and ran to Izumi and Ryoma to play. They both temporarily forgot their differences and greeted Lucas before Akira's aunt took them all to the back.

"My Pokémon are insane," Akira sighed.

"It sounded pretty funny though," I said. "What was it about?"

"Eh, Izumi's a bit boy crazy, but every Pokémon she crushes on is questionable in some way," Akira explained. "Ryoma always gets annoyed and tries to stop her, but to no avail. This time was no different. Hmm, but aside from that, do you know what today is?"

I thought for a moment, them I remembered. "Oh…right, they announce the ambassadors of the school today. In homeroom."

"Heh heh heh," Akira laughed; he looked positively excited. "I can't wait to see the look on Carina's face. It's going to be so, so very priceless."

I was trying not to laugh, but I couldn't help it. "You really like to push her buttons, don't you?"

"Push her buttons?" repeated Akira as we started the walk to school. "I've just been doing my work as normal. I've never directly come at her or anyone else really, but that's going to change soon."

"What do you mean?"

"You'll see. And speaking of pushing buttons, our current affairs teacher is going to loooove the essay I wrote."

I groaned as I thought about the assignment we were supposed to do. We were to select a newspaper article and write a two page essay summarizing it and how it applies to what we learned in class. "What exactly did you write about?" I wasn't sure if I wanted to know the answer.

"Well, he didn't say what newspaper we could pull the article from," Akira said. "So, I found a very interesting article in the Stoney Vista High School newspaper." He smiled broadly.

"Okay, so what was it about?" I asked cautiously.

"The student who wrote it was talking how the pressure cooker environment of Veilstone High School was actually detrimental to students," Akira explained.

"Oh, I've heard that argument before," I told him, sighing. "It's the same one my parents use on me. Sure, it's a lot of work now, but it'll pay off in the future."

"That's if you don't kill yourselves now," Akira said darkly. "I think I'll be…direct in challenging people now—teachers and students..."

He left me alone with my thoughts the rest of the way. To be honest, I was a little concerned at what he had in mind. I always thought he was laidback, so I was mystified by how he was still able to do well. But maybe I'd miscalculated; perhaps his easygoing manner wasn't what it appeared to be. Because I was pretty sure I'd just witnessed a side to Akira no one had seen before—the side of him that could be warm as the Hoenn sun to some and cold as the Sinnoh winter to the rest. This only seemed to make him more of a puzzle.

Akira, Alicio, Quinn and I didn't have coffee together this morning because Akira and Quinn were in a study group elsewhere. That left Alicio and me having to spend the morning with Carina—and I must say, it wasn't pleasant at all. Carina was in a bad mood because she wasn't happy about being an ambassador with Akira. And apparently Alicio was in a bad mood because of her ill temper.

"And what makes you think you'll be picked?" Alicio said, his eyes narrowing.

Carina just looked at him. "And who do you think you're talking to you?" she said as if she better than he was. "What's the matter with you anyway?"

"Nothing," Alicio replied. "I just asked a simple question."

"I still don't know what that hippie is doing to cheat his way to number one," Carina said viciously. "But seeing as I'm really the number one student of our class and SGA representative for our homeroom, it's obvious."

"Heh," said Alicio with a half smile as he turned back to his tablet.

Carina glared at him. "No, if you've got something to say, say it, Alicio."

"I said it was nothing," Alicio repeated. "You've answered my question anyway…"

"You know what?" Carina said harshly. "I don't have time for to try to figure out your stupid ramblings. It's time for me to go to class."

As usual, she left without saying anything else—leaving Alicio and me alone. He sighed deeply.

"Alicio?" I said slowly. "Is there something wrong?"

"I thought we were supposed to check each other," he said as if he hadn't heard me. "But she didn't take it well this time. I think she's hiding something."

I'm sure the surprise I felt showed on my face. "I don't think so. I mean, we both know how hard she works, so of course she felt offended by you questioning her abilities."

"Hm. If you say so," Alicio replied. "Maybe you're right. But I'm still suspicious because we don't really see her much at all."

I really didn't know what to say to that, so I remained silent. Maybe I wasn't being perceptive enough when it came to Carina, but she really hadn't changed to me. She was doing more things than ever when it came to her school work, club meetings, and now, the academic competitions that would be coming up. Those competitions could include Sinnoh-wide essay contests or regional tests. Either way, it made total sense to me that we weren't really seeing her much; neither of our schedules could compare at all. We got to speak to each other again in homeroom.

"How did your class go?" I asked as I watched her put more entries into her calendar.

"I thought it went well," Carina said. "I got the highest marks in our class and my teacher even called out the bottom three and criticized them."

I felt something stir in the pit of my stomach, but I ignored it. Akira looked up over the book he was reading and laughed.

"And what are you laughing at?" Carina turned her cold eyes on Akira. "You piece of hippie trash."

"You," Akira answered and at once I felt the whole class go silent. "It's so stupid how you get your kicks from watching other people get put down. Why do you like it so much?"

"Normally I wouldn't dignify that with a response, but I'll make an exception in your case," Carina said. "Since your three months here still haven't taught you anything about this school, I'll spell it out. Competition—

"Is what makes this school work the way it does," Akira finished her sentence. "Yes I know that. But surely, surely there has to be a difference between that and just putting people down to make yourself feel better.

"The ‘putting down' as you call it," Carina retorted, "is part of what makes people want to do better."

Akira looked thoughtful. "Hmm, maybe you're partly right. But I think the real reason is that everyone wants to make themselves feel better when they can't even live up to the high expectations of this school and they want to hide it."

"Believe what you want," Carina said darkly. "I'm done with this silly debate."

Akira smiled to himself as he turned back to his book and the class gradually began to talk again. His words had intrigued me big time. To tell you the truth, I had never given much to other people putting up a façade. I put up a front not to hide academic incompetence, but to…fit in I guess. I always work hard and try to be the best. But I'm not going to throw anyone under the bus to do it which is something you must be willing to do and everyone has to know that fact. You'll be considered weak otherwise. But was that even the truth? I've been hearing some things around school about Akira. Most people still think he's a freak though they acknowledged that he was really smart. But no one had called him weak for hanging out with Quinn—same for the twins that were also in that circle. So what was I doing?

I pulled out my laptop and started working on a paper I had due next week. A little email icon popped up in the corner of my screen; it was from Alicio and it said countdown to the big announcement: five minutes. Akira and Carina's exchange had temporarily made me forget about the announcement, but now that Alicio kindly reminded me, my heart started pounding. I knew Carina and Akira would be selected, yet I was nervous about Carina's reaction anyway. After those agonizing minutes passed by, a little tone played over the PA system and we heard the principal's voice.

"Greetings Veilstone High School," she said in a crisp, professional voice. "I am pleased to announce to you the ambassadors who will be representing this academic institution. Without further ado, the freshman ambassadors will be Parker Brooks and Cristina Gomez. Representing the sophomore class will be—

I inhaled sharply.

"Akira Yamakage and Miguela Cruz. The junior ambassadors…

I think my heart stopped for two seconds. Did I just hear her say -my- name? That couldn't- be right. And yet it was because the entire class was looking at me—including Akira who was smiling that awesome smile of his.

"Congratulations!" he said brightly.

"You too," I mumbled, uncomfortably aware that Carina was looking at me.

The principal then called all of the ambassadors to one of the student meeting rooms for a short meeting. Numbly, I rose to my feet and followed Akira out of the room. I only dared a glance at Alicio who mouthed congratulations as well; I had to force my face into a smile. Out in the hall way, Akira looked at the stunned expression on my face and laughed.

"See? I told you you didn't give yourself enough credit," he said. He looked positively thrilled at this turn of events.

"But really Akira," I managed to choke out. "This can't be happening!"

"Oh, but it is," he said happily. His eyes were sparkling. "How do you think Carina will react?"

That question made me stop and think. She was really disappointed in my performance on the last test—so much so, she threatened to dump me as her best friend. I guess that subconsciously motivated me to do better next time. Receiving this honor had to make up for last time. Hopefully, I won't get my hair pulled at least. "I think she'll be impressed," I said finally.

"And she won't be pissed?" Akira asked, frowning slighly.

"Oh, she's definitely angry that you were chosen and not her," I replied.

He looked a bit doubtful which forcefully reminded me of Alicio from this morning. "I guess I'll take that as a consolation prize," he said laughing.

At the meeting, they told us our responsibilities as ambassadors such as keeping our grades up, talking to the kids at Veilstone Middle School, and representing our school at the big open house in December. Ambassadors had to reapply each year if they wanted to keep their position. Then there were the perks, some of which included: we got to talk important academic people to start networking and we would receive invitations for events throughout the year. But the best perk was the trip to Jubilife City next semester. Akira was amused by how the other ambassadors were nearly drooling over the perks, but even he was excited about the trip to Jubilife because he hadn't really been outside of Veilstone since coming to Sinnoh. As for me? I still couldn't believe I had been chosen, yet I was still proud of myself.

That feeling died after encountering Carina when we went back to out first period class. Everyone was focused on the teacher and didn't even look up when we entered—except Carina. She glared at both Akira and me and her eyes were so full of hatred that I was shocked. I was very reluctant to take my seat next to her. She didn't say anything to me, but I could tell she was giving me the cold shoulder—she slightly shifted her body further from me. This hadn't been the reaction I'd expected at all, and it continued through English and Current Affairs as well. So even though she seemed upset with me, I was glad to get to get to lunch and talk to her.

"Carina, is everything all right?" I asked gently.

"Of course it is," she snapped. She sucked air through her teeth as she often did when she was frustrated.

"Oh, okay…" I said sheepishly. "Well, I redeemed myself from my last performance—

"Just tell me what they told you at your little meeting," she interrupted.

I went through everything they'd told us and she looked thoroughly unimpressed. The irritated expression on her face faded to a haughty look.

"Hmm, looks like being an ambassador isn't as great as I though," Carina mused. "The perks aren't that good, Maybe it's because it's the first year they've done it and it'll be better next year. But either way, being an ambassador means nothing."

"Oh," I said quietly, but Carina wasn't finished yet.

"Especially since ambassadors have to reapply every year. That's just stupid a waste because you should be able to keep your position for the rest of your high school career," she finished. "And you said something about improving your performance? Yes, well, we won't know that until after school because that's when they're posting the scores this time. Being selected as an ambassador (she said the word in mocking tones) is no indication of academic performance it seems."

The rest of lunch passed without incident. I felt diminished now, and I certainly didn't feel proud of myself anymore. Carina left about five minutes early to speak with a teacher. Alicio, who'd been quiet during Carina's rant, laughed at her as soon as she was gone.

"Jealous much?" Alicio snorted.

"She did have some good points," I said sighing.

"Uh, no she didn't," Alicio said. "That last argument didn't even make sense. Ambassadors have to reapply for their positions to make sure no one gets complacent, and it makes room for new talent that may come up. She knows we're all about competition, so I don't even know why she'd say that. And by the way, getting to network with people who could make it easier for you to get into college is win."

"You're right," I said, but Alicio looked at the expression on my face and gave a gentler laugh.

"Come -on- Miguela," he said. "Give yourself some credit. Carina is just mad because she wasn't picked. Let's just hope she doesn't get her mom down here to start yelling at people."

Since when did he start channeling Akira? I wasn't fully convinced, but I felt a little better. Alicio and I agreed to go see the test scores after our SAT Prep class where we would be doing vocabulary drills. Carina was fully back to normal by this class—as if this morning and lunch time hadn't happened. Akira had seemed skeptical when I told him I thought Carina would be impressed, but I had been wrong. Dead wrong. We were released early from class to go see our test scores which had been posted all over school.

"Well, we're going to see how well you improved, Miguela," Carina said smugly.

But when we saw the scores, both Carina and I received a major shock. Akira was number one, naturally. But Carina wasn't number two…I was. She was number three while Alicio was number four.

Stunned, Carina was silent for a moment before she spoke. "There has to be some mistake," she said through her teeth. "There is no way you could've beaten me." She turned to me with a wild look in her eyes; she was furious.

"Carina, I—but Carina interrupted me again.

"This is just a fluke," she said, almost to herself. "I worked too hard to be number three!"

Carina was taking deep breaths to try to calm herself down. She ran her fingers through her straightened hair and looked unsettled. I had seen her like this only one other time and it made my heart drop. Was she going to lose it again?

"Are you going to be okay?" Alicio asked, his eyes narrowed.

"Shut up!" Carina said through clenched teeth. She was almost shaking now.

We heard laugher behind us. Akira and Quinn were walking up to see the scores as well. Carina put forth a huge effort to compose herself so they wouldn't see how upset she was. They stopped when they saw us; Quinn stopped her laughter immediately and turned her eyes toward the ground while Akira looked delighted.

"Let me see," he said. His eyes lit up when he saw my name at number two. "Wow, Miguela! Congratulations! I knew you could do it."

Did he really have to add on that last part? Carina nearly lost her what little composure she had as she glared at me. Quinn looked me, concerned, but I didn't react and hoped they couldn't tell just how scared I was. I didn't want to get any further on Carina's bad side than I already was.

"Well, we'll be seeing you later," Akira said cheerfully. "Quinn and I are going to study for a test."

There was a part of me that wanted to yell take me with you! as they turned and walked away. Carina turned on me at once. "Out with it! What are you two doing together!?"

"Nothing!" I said desperately. "I just studied harder this time!" At this moment I just wanted her to believe me.

Carina snatched the collar of my jacket. "You may have studied harder, but even so, you shouldn't have gotten higher than third place. I'm the smartest one of us!"

"I-I," I sputtered. Tears were threatening to spill over. But to my surprise, Alicio intervened and broke Carina's death grip on my collar.

"That's enough!" Alicio said. "My dad told me never to interfere in a fight between women, but this has gone too far. Cool it, Carina. Miguela beat you fairly."

But Carina wasn't having it. "And who do you think you're talking too?" she hissed.

Alicio didn't respond to that. Instead, he just said. "Stop it, Carina. We're going to be late for class."

Carina gave us both withering looks. "This isn't over yet, Miguela." She spit out every syllable of my name. Then she turned on her heel and stomped away.

I was shaken up and it was showing. It was my turn to take steps to calm myself down. I couldn't believe what had happened.

"Miguela, are you going to be all right?" Alicio asked quietly.

"Y-yeah," I said shakily.

Alicio wasn't convinced. "Want to walk to my next class with me?"

"Sure," I answered him. "I feel bad for making you late though."

"Don't. It's not a problem," he said. "It's not like my class is on the other side of the school."

"Heh."

"But tell me something." Alicio said slowly. "Is this the first time Carina has acted like that?"

I sighed deeply. "No," I reluctantly admitted.

Alicio looked troubled. "That's worrisome. But we can talk later. We're already here."

"Wha-" I said stupidly. "Wow, we -are- here…all right, I guess I'll leave and go home."

"And Miguela," Alicio said, and then he hesitated. "Be careful."

I can't wait to hear about Akira's paper. I love exposes like that.

Akira's Pokemon are so funny. Who did the Ralts fall for this time?

I'm looking forward to seeing the long-term repercussions of being ambassadors. If only my school had had that.

Well first off, I should apologize for not posting on Tuesday. School kinda got in the way ^^; Hopefully I'll be able to post soon anyway.

@ Secad

I feel stupid for not catching your post XD Akira's Ralts is still crushing on Mateo's Gallade from the post before the last one.

Psycho Monkey

Oh sweet! Carina is going off the deep end! XD I quite enjoyed that, but I still thinks she deserves more humiliation on a grander scale to atone for all of her sins. Not being an ambassador and falling to rank three is still an excellent start for her.

I forgive you for not posting on Tuesday because I know just how crazy college can be. Happens to me all the time :)

Wow. Awsome Carmen! This oozes emotion! In the next enty, I would really like to see it from Quinn's point of veiw, and see how far her relationship with Alicio goes! Keep up the fantastic, epically awsome work!!! ;D ;D ;D

OOC: Here's the second half of the chapter I should've posted ages ago. Sorry XD

"Luuuuu! Rioluuuuuu!"

"Lucas, I know you're excited, but you're going to have to go to sleep," I told him.

I was in bed already attempting to go to sleep, but Lucas was wired up. Even daycare couldn't exhaust his vast energy supply this time. Telling him we were going on a trip tomorrow was clearly a bad idea. But I had to admit that I was excited and yet nervous too. I had never seen this wilder side to Veilstone. My only concern was that I wasn't going to fit in.

Before I went to bed, I picked out an outfit to wear and hoped it would be all right. But when I got up the next morning I decided to change it to something else and wished I owned at least one t-shirt or something a bit more casual or eclectic. I made a mental note to pick up something while we were out or borrow something from Quinn at least. The nervousness had started to fire up again, but Lucas helped me calm down.

"Riolu!" he said brightly. This was his way of telling me not to worry. "Luuuu!"

"You're right," I said. "Everything is going to be fine, and we're going to have a good time!"

I dropped Lucas off at Daycare without incident (Akira was already gone), so I headed to school. There was no coffee shop meeting today. I knew that everyone was probably in the computer lab so that was the first place I went. And sure enough, Quinn, Alicio, and Akira were there working on homework.

"Aw, CRAP," Quinn said. "I'm STILL fifty words over! This sucks…." She said slamming her head on the desk beside the computer.

She was working on an 800 word essay we had for English that'd I'd finished the day it was assigned. And it has to be 800 words or you'll be docked one point for every word over…meaning the highest Quinn could make would be a fifty if she didn't make anymore mistakes. No wonder she was panicky.

"Well, at least you're over not under," Alicio said in a would-be encouraging voice.

"Speak for yourself," Quinn laughed rather than saying it mockingly.

Alicio smiled back. "All right then. And if it makes you feel any better, we'll be having plenty enough fun to forget about school tonight."

"It'll be the highlight of my week," Quinn said as she concentrated on words she could remove.

"Same here," said Akira. "Maybe then I can find out how Mateo inherited all the cool genes and left you with nothing." Quinn and I laughed.

"Ha ha haaa," Alicio said sarcastically. "Witty remarks from the peanut gallery. That's already getting old."

"Yeah, yeah," said Akira as he turned back to the notes he was studying.

I fell silent after that. In about twenty minutes I would see Carina in homeroom and I was worried she'd be angry still. But to my surprise, she was back to her usual self. She was even including Alicio who was still wary of her; apparently he hadn't forgiven her for yesterday. I was just relieved he didn't say anything but it always felt like he was on the brink of doing so. She asked me if she could come by my house Saturday which was a huge surprise. Carina hadn't been to my house in a long time and I half had the feeling she didn't think it was good enough. My family wouldn't be pleased to see her, but my parents wouldn't say no. I wanted to refuse her, but then I'd have to come with a story of why I said no and lying to Carina wasn't one of my talents. It was just easier to say yes. Granted I'd have to figure out what I'd do with Lucas but I'd cross that bridge when I got to it.

By the time the end of school had arrived, everything seemed well, Alicio and I said good bye to Carina before we left for the same lounge at which we met Mateo last week. Quinn, Akira, Mateo, and Mimi were already there and already dressed. Quinn was wearing a pink skirt that was slightly above the knee, a hooded green vest over a long sleeved blue shirt with black designs on the sleeves, black leggings, and black boots with green accents. Akira was dressed less decorative and was wearing what looked like a concert t-shirt on top of a thermos shirt under his coat with his jeans and sneakers.

"Finally! I thought you'd never come," said Mateo as he and Mimi looked up and saw us. His silver bracelet and purple Pokétch had been fixed. "I thought maybe you'd put this off for studying."

Alicio rolled his eyes. "You never quit, do you?"

"Nope," he said and then he shooed us off. "Now both of you go and get dressed. I hope you at least brought something good."

"Who does he think he is?" Alicio muttered when we were both back in the hall. "Our mother?"

I laughed shakily. Honestly, I was more nervous than ever about my outfit. Mateo managed to pull off cool very well in a red polo shirt, jeans, and sneakers and the usual silver key necklace. I took a deep breath and calmed down and put on my outfit once I was in the bathroom. Nice dark wash jeans, black boots, and an elegant cashmere sweater. I thought it looked nice at any rate. Even so, I spent a long time looking the mirror to make sure it was just right, and I only left the bathroom when I thought I looked perfectly sophisticated.

"Miguela, I thought we'd have to send a search party," said Akira. "Did you get lost or something?

"No," I said self-consciously.

Naturally, Alicio had beaten me back…and he looked differently than I expected. He was wearing this jacket with Giratina's face and its colors, jeans, and sneakers that looked reminded me of red candies. Mateo and Mimi were holding back laughs—heck Mateo was almost shaking. And of course, that sent me in panic mode.

"W-what?" I said, my eyes getting wide.

"Miguela," Mateo began, still trying to hold in that laugh. "You're so conservative, it's hilarious!" Finally, he and Mimi dissolved into laughter.

Forget red, I think my face flushed crimson. "I-is that bad?" I said in a small voice.

"Don't be mean," Alicio said to his brother.

"I'm not, I'm not!" Mateo laughed. "But I'm just saying!"

I cleared my throat. "I mean, I know it's not like what the kids at Rocoso would wear, but—

"Did I just hear someone mention that bottom feeder school?" We looked up and saw Carina standing in the door. Apparently she hadn't left after all. I felt a bit worried about what she'd say to Quinn and Akira for being around us, but her attention was totally focused on Mateo. She eyed his purple tipped hair, his outfit and Mimi with disgust. "And who are you?" she asked rather rudely.

"Mateo Sandoval—Alicio's older brother," he answered her. Then his eyes narrowed, "that must make you Carina Diaz. I've heard so much about you…"

"I'm sure you have," Carina said in a sneering voice. "Are you like, a Pokémon trainer or something?"

Mimi made a disparaging noise and Mateo said "yep, she's one of those people. You think it's a joke, don't you?"

Akira, Quinn, Alicio, and I waited silently for Carina's answer. Shooting one glance at Alicio and me for some kind of eerie confirmation, she laughed darkly. "People that go on Pokémon journeys are the students who are bored with their lives and don't make the grade at school, so they think they can go "traveling" with Pokémon just so they wouldn't feel like the failures they are! They end up crawling back days later because living on the road was too hard. So yes, I believe Pokémon training is a joke and nothing to be taken seriously."

There was dead silence in the room. No one knew what Mateo would say next, but we were all surprised (and impressed) to see him smiling.

"Hnn, you're not totally wrong, but that just means you aren't totally right either," he responded. "You're right in that some people really have no business walking to the store alone let alone be on the road," Mateo said calmly even if his eyes were biting. "But even so, you can't just dismiss the entire art of Pokémon training, you know."

"Art?" repeated Carina. "As if."

"How sad," Mateo said scathingly. "You're just another close-minded know it alls—just like most of the idiots at this school. And from what I've heard, you sound like the biggest idiot of them all."

Carina looked furious. "What did you just say?"

"You heard me," said Mateo. "I called you an idiot because you are. You spend so much time in your little bubble that you don't realize the finer things in the life."

"The finer things in life?" Carina repeated viciously. "The finer things in life are all here," she said as she waved her arm to indicate the school and the rest of the area in which we lived. "We have everything we could ever want here. Why would we ever want to leave it?"

"Because," said Mateo simply. "You learn more about things that way. And as much as I already hate you, I'd like for you to come with use so you can see what you're missing out on."

Carina was take aback big time and the surprise showed on her face for about two seconds before fading to a scowl. "Sorry, but I actually have worthwhile things to be doing right now," she sneered.

"Heh, your loss," said Mateo.

Carina ignored him and continued, "Miguela and Alicio we have to be going now."

Alicio and I remained where we were because neither of us knew what to do (or at least I didn't). I was completely conflicted: I wholeheartedly wanted to go with Mateo, but I also wanted to please Carina at the same time. I could feel my heart racing and was really happy that Alicio spoke first.

"Well, since my brother's in town I decided to spend some time with him today," Alicio said easily.

At those words, I was completely in disbelief, but my shock was nothing compared to Mateo's, who just looked dumbfounded.

Carina made a tch noise with her tongue. "Fine then, but it's your own fault if you get bad grades on the next test," she said coldly. "Come on Miguela, we're going."

My mind went into overdrive as my heart continued to race faster. At that point I was sure everyone in the room could hear it. "I…really have to be going home early today…I promised I'd do something with my sister," I lied. "I promise I'll study later…"

Carina smirked. "Fine, have it your way. And Alicio, you should quit taking fashion advice from your brother." And without another word, she turned and stormed out. For some reason it felt like a cold a draft and been left in her wake. Mateo ignored her jab about his clothes laughed.

"Well little bro, I'm proud of you," Mateo said rustling Alicio's hair again. "Carina no longer has you whipped."

"What are you talking about? She never did!" Alicio insisted as he threw off his brother's hand and smoothed his hair back down.

"Yeah, suuuuure," Mateo said. "But you've proven yourself. Miguela here on the other hand still has some work to do."

I sighed and looked away. It felt like—no, it didn't feel like anything—I'd actually betrayed my best friend.

"Oh, come on Miguela," Akira said, patting me on the back. "Look on the bright side. You may have lied through your teeth, but you still managed to piss off Carina. And that's more than any of us could ask for."

Everyone laughed and even I had to smile a little bit. But what cheered me up most was Lucas. He looked thrilled to see everyone again and at the sight of Mimi, he jumped out of my arms and climbed on the Infernape's back. She made a noise of annoyance.

"Oh the irony," Mateo said. "Now you get to see what I go through carrying you on my back".

She rolled her eyes and I was sure she was thinking whatever. She peeled Lucas off her back and handed him back to me.

"He's certainly more cheerful than Megumi was as Riolu," said Mateo. "She was serious and yet sensitive to others around her, but she came off as very aloof—especially after she evolved. Megumi and Mimi didn't exactly get along at first—

Mimi snorted.

"Okay, so sometimes that was an understatement," Mateo continued, smiling. "It's gotten better."

"Will Quinn and Miguela finally get to meet Megumi tonight?" Akira asked.

"Megumi and the rest of my Pokémon as well," Mateo said nodding.

We got on a trolley that took us beyond Rocoso High School and its giant stadium into the heart of the battle district. Mateo said that the people we were mostly seeing now where people like him—full time trainers, and that the place would really come alive up once local trainers came out. We were passing all kinds of shops, arcades, and restaurants that probably looked even cooler at nighttime. The first stop we made was a neat little park that had plenty of open space and even places to battle so we could meet the rest of Mateo's Pokémon.

"Well, time to meet the gang," Mateo said and he began releasing his five other Pokémon one by one. "I'm sure you remember Addison from Monday, but here are Megumi, Ceferino, Ojore, and Siegfried."

I recognized Megumi, the Lucario, instantly. Her growls were at a slightly higher pitch than other Lucario that I'd heard on TV. Ceferino was a magnificent Staraptor that looked big enough for a person to ride. I didn't recognize what Ojore and Siegfried where, so I had to ask Mateo.

"Ojore is a Hitmontop that I got as a Tyrogue right here in Veilstone City," he answered. "And Siegfried is a Hariyama who…is currently being an idiot."

Mateo turned his eyes toward the direction of Siegfried and I had to laugh. The Hariyama was flexing his large muscles and eyeing a female Alakazam who looked revolted and a Jynx who was giggling. Mimi apparently didn't find it amusing whatsoever as she glared at her teammate. Finally the Alakazam had had enough of Siegfried and promptly used Psychic. He was surrounded in a blue aura rose slowly eerily into the sky and before anyone else could react, she launched Siegfried backwards where he landed at Mateo's feet and even he didn't have much sympathy for him. He gave a short laugh.

"That's what you get for being frisky!" Mateo called.

The Hariyama looked a bit cross-eyed with love. He shook it off and slowly rose to his feet.

"Is he always like that?" Quinn asked.

"Yep," Mateo answered. "I imported him from Hoenn as a Makuhita and the first day I introduced him to the rest of the team, he started hitting on Mimi and Megumi." The Infernape shuddered at the memory. "Both of them attacked him, but that didn't exactly stop him. He says he likes his female Pokémon feisty."

We all laughed. Though it was freezing outside, it was mostly fun. Mateo and Mimi had fun teasing Alicio and me and I have to admit it made me feel a bit awkward. He kept saying how I had to get some new clothes which was my plan from the start. Quinn and Akira were all for it and kept suggesting stuff I should buy. It pretty much went against everything that I was exposed to. You were supposed to dress professionally and like an adult—at least that's how it was at Veilstone High School. It would definitely be a change.

Instead I became the quiet one and contented myself with watching the Pokémon while the others talked. Lucas was really attached to Mimi (who had got over her annoyance of him) and Megumi and he spent most of his time around them. Mateo said he was surprised that Megumi took to him before Mimi did. The Infernape was trying to teach Lucas how to walk on his hands, but he fell over each time he tried. It was so cute how he looked so happy every time he failed. Later on however, he watched Mimi and Megumi spar against each other and tried to imitate their moves.

"Miguela, do you ever plan on battling with Lucas?" Mateo asked me.

I was shocked by the question. "Me? Battle? That's a hilarious thought," I said with a laugh. Mamoswine would fly before I ever battled.

Mateo didn't say anything, but he just smiled and THAT worried me more than anything. I really didn't know why though.

Just then Akira looked up and pointed. "I think Lucas has something to show you, Miguela," he said.

"RIOLU!" Lucas said happily. He began to kick as though there was an invisible punching bag in front of him, and to my utter horror, his entire foot became surrounded in flames.

"Wow, it looks like Lucas learned how to use Blaze Kick!" Mateo said. "That's really cool!"

"No, it's not cool at all!" I countered. "What if he burns down my house?"

"That's the risk of having a Pokémon," Akira said easily. "But really Miguela, I don't think you'll have any problems at all. You worry too much!"

"I hope you're right," I said doubtfully. Lucas rushed forward to give me a hug and I calmed down in spite of myself.

We left a while later to go out for pizza, but Akira insisted that be an organic pizza place. It was sunset by this time and indeed the streets were more crowded. People were going to arcades, the Game Corner, stadiums, or to the fair in the distance. Lucas was enjoying the sites and sounds more than I was. He was wide eyed as he looked at all the different people and Pokémon. I got stopped several times by people who wanted to get a closer look at him, and I really didn't mind it.

"Hey look!" Quinn said, suddenly stopping.

She was pointing at a clothing store that was full of clothes I would've never worn and that Carina would've scoffed at. Sure, I said I wanted new clothes, but coming face to face with them, I wasn't sure if I could pull the look off.

"Good looking out, Quinn!" said Mateo. "Well, Miguela, there you go! I'll even pay," he added, pulling out his navy blue Pokédex.

Despite my stammering protests, Quinn dragged me into the store while the boys followed laughing behind us. Twenty minutes later I was wearing black thick long sleeved off the shoulder t-shirt with some crazy design on it, a yellow tank top underneath it, a plaid skirt, denim leggings, and pink flats.

"Well, what do you think?" Quinn asked eagerly.

What did I think? It looked like she chose everything without even looking at it. She was one of those people who liked to spend someone else's money. Words utterly failed to describe it. "It looks…well…it's just…different."

"Mission accomplished!" said Mateo, clapping his hands together and Lucas, who was being held by Akira, seemed like he agreed.

I blushed and to add insult to injury, Alicio took out his phone and took a picture. "Don't worry; you look fine," he responded to the look on my face.

I looked in the mirror one more time, and decided the look would grow on me. Despite the fact that nothing matched, it still somehow went together. It wouldn't be something I did everyday, but this wasn't about that. It was more about me just getting out of my comfort zone, right?

"You look so awesome!" Quinn was still saying after we'd been seated at a big table in the restaurant. "Really, it's something I'd wear myself!"

"I don't doubt it," I said as I pulled at the wide collar of my shirt. I randomly imagined what Carina would say if she saw me in this outfit and I almost smiled to myself. She wouldn't believe what I was doing right now and likely wouldn't approve. Lucas was sitting in my lap playing with the knife and fork on the table.

"Wait," Akira said suddenly to Mateo who was about to check his blood sugar. "You're about to do that now?"

"Uh, yeah?" he said. Then he smiled. "Oh, are you one of those squeamish ones?"

Akira swallowed involuntarily. "A little," he admitted. "This stays at this table, but I have a slight fear of needles."

And sure enough he was starting to turn a little green. Quinn and I have to stifle giggles. He was always so cool and calm, and here he is looking like he's about to be sick.

"Coming from you, that's hilarious," said Alicio who was not as sympathetic. He and Mimi had both laughed at him. "What did you do when you had to get shots for school?"

"You should've been there," Akira answered cynically. "Going by how the nurses were laughing at me, I'm sure it was a riot."

"It's not so bad. I mean at least I'm not injecting insulin," Mateo said unhelpfully. At the word ‘injecting' Akira shuddered, and then he added "I can leave if you need me to."

"No, no. That's…not necessary. I'd leave if my knees worked. I'll just…close my eyes," said Akira shakily. He did that, and held the menu up in front of him. It didn't stop him from flinching at the same moment Mateo stuck himself.

"You can stop hiding, it's over," Mateo said. "And I've seen worse reactions if it makes you feel any better, Akira."

"Actually it doesn't," he responded, the green color finally subsiding. He took a drink of the water the waitress had brought earlier to calm himself.

"May I ask why you're afraid of needles?" Alicio asked, still smirking.

"You can ask all you want," Akira said, sounding more like himself. "That doesn't mean I'll answer you."

"Whatever, you still just made my whole night," said Alicio, unable to suppress the laugh. "I sooo should've recorded that; it was priceless. I'd love to know the reason you're afraid of needles though."

"And I'm sure Quinn and Akira would love to hear what happened on Valentine's Day of last year," Mateo cut in.

I was drinking water at the time and I nearly spit it back out. Alicio's face immediately turned bright red.

"You wouldn't."

"You better believe I would. I love telling the story."

That shut Alicio up very quickly. I'm pretty sure he'll be traumatized over the event for the rest of his life, but it was still funny. We ordered and got our food and we spent the rest of the time talking and laughing. I had to stop Lucas from eating my pizza after he'd polished off his own because I didn't want him getting a stomachache. Mateo told us the story of how he helped his best friend Marshall catch a Feebas which I found hilarious.

"Do any of you know anything about Feebas?" Mateo began. "In Sinnoh, Feebas can only be found in one area: a huge lake inside of Mt. Coronet. And to top it off, it's really cold and Feebas are hard to find. Marshall asked me to help him, and because I'm, ya know, sane, I said no. Unfortunately for me, I lost a bet and had to help him."

At that point Mimi shook her head as if saying how could you be so…stupid? Mateo glanced at his Pokémon and smiled. "Mimi was not happy about it and that was before we even went to the lake. We did research and found that it took most people at least a week to find and catch a Feebas if they found one at all. Well, it only took Carmen Lopez ten minutes but you don't ask her too many questions," Mateo added offhandedly.

"Did Marshall ever get one?" Quinn asked.

"Yeah," Mateo said. "It's a good thing too because if he hadn't, I would've probably killed him. It was easily the most tedious eight days of my existence. Did I mention that we were on the water and it was freezing? And that our boat was nearly attacked by a Gyarados and a Whiscash? It was so, so boring too. Marshall was about to give up on the eighth day, but right when we were about to leave for good, he hooked a Feebas, and not just any Feebas, but a shiny one. That did kinda make up for what we went through."

"My older sister also had a hard time catching a Feebas in Hoenn," Akira said, reminiscing. "Only she gave up after she was caught in a sudden thunderstorm and her boat was sunk by Carvanha."

"Yep, so much trouble for one little Pokémon," Mateo said sagely.

The waitress came over to our table with dessert menus and asked us if we wanted anything else. All of us said no…that is except Mateo. He asked for the double fudge chocolate cake covered in chocolate syrup. Alicio's eyes narrowed.

"Are you sure you should be eating that?" he asked Mateo accusatorily.

"Why not?" Mateo answered nonchalantly. "I've been planning all day and yesterday for the dessert menu. Besides, I'm splitting it with Mimi. Alicio, let it go," he added sharply as Alicio was about to say something else.

But Alicio didn't let it go. When the waitress brought back the chocolate cake, even I was shocked. It was huge and so rich it was enough to induce a cavity just by looking at it. Lucas was practically drooling over it, but that wasn't about to happen for obvious reasons (i.e. it was for the sake of my bedroom furniture). Alicio eyed the chocolate cake as if it had done something wrong. "Mateo, are you serious?"

"Alicio, I'm warning you now," Mateo said as he eagerly cut the piece in half and gave it to Mimi. "Quit acting like Dad before I have to embarrass you. I already told you I planned for this."

"But still!"

"Leave me alone," Mateo warned. He took a bite of his cake and closed his eyes. "Mmm, all of my hard work paid off with this."

Did Alicio really not see where this was headed if he didn't quit? I guess he didn't because he...didn't quit.

"But what if you—

"Alicio, please! You're ruining my moment here!"

It looked like it was about to turn into a (hilarious) fight over chocolate cake. Quinn, Akira, and I were all silently giggling as we watched Alicio and Mateo go at it.

"Stop looking at me like that," Mateo said to his brother and when he didn't, Mateo took a deep breath. "Okay, you can't say I didn't warn you. Let me tell you what happened to Alicio Valentine's Day of last year."

Alicio's face froze. "Mateo, I'm begging you," he said, mortified. "Don't. I'm sorry! I won't bother you about what you eat ever again as long as you don't do this!"

"Too late little brother!" Mateo said. "So basically I was in Veilstone for Valentine's Day of last year, but I decided not to come home. However I couldn't leave my little brother unscathed, so a prank call was in order. I didn't think it would be blown that far out of proportion."

At that point, Alicio tried to make a break for it. Too bad he was between Mimi and Akira who both stopped him within two seconds.

"Come oooon, Alicio," Akira crowed while holding onto the back of his jacket. "This can't be worse than your manpurse or my freak out, can it?"

"It can," Alicio answered. "And it is…" he sunk low in his seat.

"Oooh then we have to hear more," said Akira eagerly.

Quinn looked like she was torn between wanting to hear the story and wanting to preserve Alicio's dignity.

"It's really wasn't that bad, Alicio," Mateo said, nodding. "Once you stop caring, I won't have fun telling the story anymore."

"Only because it didn't happen to you!" Alicio said, turning red. "And really, you don't have to tell the story."

"Nope, but I will anyway," replied Mateo. "I'll even spare you and give them the short version." And before Alicio could say anything else to stop him, Mateo started. "See, Alicio here is apparently obsessed with being a law abiding citizen. I didn't realize how obsessed until I called pretending to be the police coming to arrest him over some stolen software. I expected him to just get frustrated as he tried to tell me I'd made a mistake but nooo…

"He went off the deep end into hysterics," Mateo continued while Alicio pulled the hood of his jacket as low as it would go. "You should've heard him on the phone: ‘I didn't steal anything! I'm a good person! I'm telling my parents!' I had no idea his voice could get that high. Then the best part came when he started sobbing and I hear this girl consoling him; it turned out to be Miguela who happened to be there at the time. Easily the most awesome phone call I've ever recorded."

"And did you have to send it to the whole family?" Alicio asked through clenched teeth. "They'll never let me live it down."

"You should be lucky I didn't send it to your entire school," Mateo said.

"Well, Alicio," Akira said. "At least your entire family knows you're a good person and that you're cool under pressure."

"Shut up," Alicio shot back. "One day I'll find out why you're so afraid of needles."

"And the day you do, I'm getting your brother to send me that recording."

They bickered the whole time as we paid for our food and finally left the restaurant. Looks like Alicio and Akira were going to have that type of relationship—the kind where they'd pick on each other and argue like an old married couple. It seemed like they would grow to be good friends though. I smiled to myself at the thought, but my mind always went back to Carina for some reason…

The rest of the night was amazing. My favorite was the arcade where I surprised everyone (and myself) by being really good at Dance, Dance Revolution. My coordination was better than I expected. But even I couldn't compete with Mateo and Mimi who were like DDR gods. Quinn hit the jackpot and won a ton of tickets at the machines and then cashed them in for a giant Snorlax doll. Alicio volunteered to carry it until Mateo offered the more practical solution of an Item Ball for it. Was it my imagination or did Alicio look disappointed? His brother just smirked.

We saw a battle at the Veilstone Collosseum between an Empoleon and a Cherrim. I expected Empoleon to win despite the fact that it's a water type but then the Cherrim used Sunny Day and unleashed a powerful Solarbeam that didn't seem possible coming from something so small. I got the biggest surprise as we were about to leave though. We came face to face with the twins from school: Hyacinth and Amaranth and they each had (pink) Pokémon with them. Hyacinth had what I vaguely recognized as a Wigglytuff. Amaranth had a round pink Pokémon with two puff balls for arms.

For a moment, Quinn and I and twins just stared at each other and the other's Pokémon. Then we all squealed "Isn't it the cutest thing EVER?" at the same time and ran to each other. I heard Akira say "girls" under her breath but we ignored him.

"Can I see your Pokédex, Mateo?" Alicio asked his brother eagerly. "I've always wanted to ID a Pokémon like they do on TV."

"Heh, go ahead. I just got it upgraded so it can identify Pokémon not native to Sinnoh," Mateo said, handing it to Alicio who pointed it at the Wigglytuff first.

Wigglytuff, the balloon Pokémon and the evolved for of Jigglypuff. Its body is soft and rubbery and when angered, it will suck in air and inflate its body to an enormous size," said the Pokédex in a feminine voice. Then, Alicio pointed the Pokédex at the second Pokémon. Jumpluff, the cottonweed Pokémon and the evolved form of Skiploom. Once it catches the wind, it deftly controls its cotton-puff spores to float, even around the world.

"Hey, the Jumpluff in your Pokédex is blue," Alicio noted. "Is that a shiny Pokémon?"

"It sure is," Amaranth said. "I found her as a Hoppip in our garden back in Goldenrod City. Her name is Breezy!"

"She's so cute!" Quinn squealed. She reached out and tickled the Jumpluff; she giggled making Quinn and me both melt. "What about Wigglytuff?" she asked Hyacinth.

"Oh, his name is Jamie. He's a sweetheart," she said as she gave him a hug.

I reached out and petted him. His fur was so soft it was divine. "And this is Lucas by the way," I said, introducing him to the twins.

"I can't believe we get to meet a Riolu up close!" said Amaranth.

That started a conversation that lasted at least half an hour. The twins were just as intrigued by Mateo and Mimi as we were and they playfully argued with Matt about how he should go to Johto instead f Hoenn. It turned out that they had recently started coming out to East Veilstone on the weekends. They also hinted at a party they said they were having next Saturday. Despite the fact that we were invited, Quinn looked slightly apprehensive, but didn't say anything.

It was getting pretty late by now so we decided to head home. Since Akira lived closer to Quinn, we split up and he walked her home after we got off the trolley. Once again Alicio looked disappointed; I had to work hard to keep from smiling this time around. Alicio had a crush on Quinn and she was completely and utterly oblivious. He glared at Mateo and Mimi who were both grinning at him. I could tell that things were going to get interesting before this year ended.

Lucas chose to ride my back which made things easier for me because I didn't have to worry about him running off. Mimi threw Mateo and meaningful look to which Mateo replied, "forget it" to the Infernape's disappointment. Unfortunately my happy feeling wasn't going to last long. That seems to be a running theme now, doesn't it? We were laughing as we came up to my house but we cut it short when we saw who was waiting out front.

It was Carina. Her gray eyes looked even colder than usual as they flitted from Mateo and Alicio, Lucas, and finally to me…She raised an eyebrow as she wordlessly questioned what I was doing.

I nearly choked on my words. "Carina, hi! I didn't expect you until tomorrow night." I hoped I didn't sound as nervous as I was.

"I decided I wanted to come over tonight," Carina said slowly. "You would've known that if you'd answered your phone."

I pulled my phone out of my purse and discovered the seven missed calls and sighed. "My apologies."

"Even so," Mateo said, his eyes narrowing like Alicio's often did when he was suspicious of something. "You still shouldn't have invited yourself."

"No, it's fine," I said before Carina could counter back. "Really it is."

"If you say so," Alicio said. "I guess…it's time for us to go." He looked reluctant to go though and I was reluctant to let him go.

"See you later then," said Mateo.

As I watched the three of them walk away, I once again had the desire to run after them. I could feel that Lucas was anxious as well; he hugged me closer as though trying to protect himself. That's not a good omen, I thought as Carina and I went into my house. I wondered what on earth she had in store for me this time.

OOC: I'm grateful for everyone's comments and I love getting them (I get worried when I don't see any lol). That said, I can't stress enough how much constructive criticism helps. If you see anything that looks weird, let me know. There may or may not be a reason for it. If it's the latter case, then I need to fix it XD Also, if the typos get too distracting, just tell me :)

Psycho Monkey

Typos? What typos? I didn't see any typos. Really I didn't.

You must be going crazy after 48 hours with no comments, so allow me to break the ice with...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was so much fun to read! I laughed my ass off I don't know how many times and this was before Valentines Day! :D Alicio is so easy to mess with it's hilarious! Mateo just keeps getting awesomer, and I would have never expected Akira to have a fear of needles.

I actually began shakng when Carina showed up at Miguela's doorstep because I know something scary is going to go down. I'm just mad that you had to stop there! D:<

I wants moar dammit! I would demand that you post soon, but that would make me a hypocrite ^^;

Oh, gosh! The baby Riolu is going to burn the house down! XD

This was a cute chapter, and I loved how you expanded the characters more.

BTW, shiny inclusion is win.