• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Urge to kill FR/LG... Rising...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
FR/LG have taken another blow on my 'enjoyment scale', simply because I was too naive to see this coming...

The games block early egg trading. It makes so much sense really - grantees that people won't be using Johto/Hoenn Pokemon before the Elite 4 - I just can't believe Gamefreak would do that... Even G/S allowed egg trading! I bought LG solely to make the games more trade-accessible (ie. so that I could play through the games with hatched Pokemon) but now it looks like I wasted my money. Since they're basically the exact same game and I can get the uncatchable Pokemon off friends there's no reason to have both versions whatsoever. Dammit all! >_<

Bah... I'm trying not to feel pissed off right now but it's pretty hard. There was really no reason why they had to block Johto/Hoenn Pokemon pre-Elite in Kanto in the first place, especially when Hoenn has no trading restricting at all. They've totally destroyed one of my main purposes for breeding...

Augh! /rant :?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
No, as of now, you can not trade eggs from FR to LG if LG is still pre-Elite 4. When you're attempting to a message comes up that basically says "You can't do that yet". And yeah, it does suck :evil:

If someone knows away around this PLEASE TELL ME! Aside from using an AR, though, I kinda doubt there is one...

Oh, and for the record, the reason this is such an issue is because I loathe training boosted Pokemon. If I'm gonna go to all the work to breed on moves I'm going to train the Pokemon right.

*Decided to start LG without trading, thus is less annoyed now* ;p

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I WAS RIGHT! Even though I never said anything! I KNEW that you wouldn't be able to trade eggs to a pre-elite four fr/lg game!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
You... guessed... it... And didn't tell me?!?

*Pulls out mallet* DIE! :twisted:

(And you know I mean it in the nicest way possible ;))

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Um, i'd say it has as much to do with not being able to have G/S/C Pokemon etc (although it's a very valid point) as not actually being able to get to a breeding centre...

Meh, I think it's a good thing there are restrictions. Especially in FR/LG's case where the magic of the point of the game would kind of fade away if you ended up trouncing over Erika with a Blaziken or something or if she used Meganium etc.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
But why? It means you have a very small selection of actual Pokemon you can use. I don't think that's fun at all =/

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Feh, stupid avatar.

I think it's really stupid that you can't have eggs. It defies the point of even having a breeding centre. *Shoots FR/LG*

*Shoots Nem so I can have my avatar choice back*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
TheBlueAvenger said:
...Just like the original Pokemon. Which is kinda the point. :D

Meh. It still pisses me off. Like I said, if I'd known that in the first place I never would've bought LG ;p

The fact that those games have so many restrictions has nothing but bothered me so far. Say what you will, but when I heard about the originals being remakes I saw it as brand new gaming opportunities, not just the same-old all over again. We did get the new islands, which is awesome, but that's only half of what I wanted :?

Heh... it wouldn't be Pokemon if there wasn't something in it that made you want to buy the next version to see if they fixed it. :p

Note: That smilie still doesn't look like a proper : P smilie.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
But there's not going to be another Kanto version. At least I hope there won't be ;p

When I say opportunities I meant being able to, for the first time, play through Kanto (the TRUE Kanto) with non-Kanto Pokemon. The rest of FR/LG is pretty much perfect (for that age anyways). I don't compare it to Emerald and expect it to have everything Emerald does (like rebattling Gym Leaders). That's what advancement is all about ;)

GASP! New starters?! Perish the thought!

What I'd like to see is a deviation from the Grass-Fire-Water starters. I want to see a Psychic-Dark-Fighting set, darn it!

EVERYONE wants to see starters like that (well, I'M fine with what we have, but everyone ELSE does).

I'm pretty sick of Kanto, too. We need some more Johto-Orre action (Hoenn can sit the next generation or two out). The best would be if Diamond and Pearl started in a new region (probable, but this would mean it's the first time Snorlax is available outside of Kanto) and led eventually to Johto or Orre. Doesn't everyone want to see Johto in 3D? :D

Actually, now that I think about it, Ice-Steel-Ground set would be pretty cool too. As would a Flying-Ground-Electric set, and maybe Fighting-Ice-Flying.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I say it should stick to Fire, Grass and Water.

*Is glad that he say the Water typo so it doesn't now say Eater*

It just wouldn't feel right with different starter types. And you know I'm right. Huh? What? You say I'm not right? Oh well.

Here's my logic: If they change the types of the starting Pokemon, they can just make more Fire, Grass, and (although there are a lot of them as it is) Water types avaliable. And, with my suggestions, some of the types (Dark, Steel, Ice, and to a lesser extent, Fighting, Electric and Psychic) are pretty rare anyway.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
True enough, but you guys are missing something big (hasn't this been brought up before at TT? It just came up at Pokeschool)...

Your new starter combos are unbalanced! You couldn't have Psychic/Fighting/Dark because Dark types have too many advantages over Psychics. Same with any combo that uses Flying and Ground. It's destroying the balance of the original triangle Gamefreak created with the Fire-Water-Grass starters.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, no. Ground is neutral against Ground, as Fighting is neutral against Fighting. That gives them advantages over Ice-types.

The same goes for the other set too, where Flying is neutral against Flying. To make a perfect triangle there can't be any inconsistancies like that (ie. Fire is bad again fire, Grass is bad against Grass, Water is bad against Water).

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I think the point of the starters is that they're supposed to ease people who are new to the game into the whole "Type" system. So for that reason alone, they pick the simplest possible trio - where each has a strength against one and a weakness against the other, and your rival always picks the Pokemon that's strong against yours. I've seen two guides recently describe the starter strategy as Rock-Paper-Scissors, which would make perfect sense to any Japanese schoolchild.

As I walked home the other night I was wondering about having starters that are dual-type, and two rivals instead of one - because it always seems strange to me that two Poke Balls get picked and the third one gets left behind. It seems pretty unfair on the third Pokemon :(. So I was wondering if it was possible to come up with a set with 2 x Rock-Paper-Scissors strategy, shifted by one Pokemon - so you and your rivals would each have one strength & one weakness, and it would be up to you whether to evolve your starter so as to capitalise on the strength against one rival or to try to leave it balanced. But I don't know whether such a set would be possible. Any ideas? Obviously this idea wouldn't work for one of the basic games where there's that notion about introducing people to the game mechanics (2 types at once would be too many variables!), but it could work very well in an Emerald "Director's Cut" style third game.

Mind you, the other thought I had was Normal-Normal-Normal - because it never seems very fair to me the way poor old Normal Pokemon get neglected in most people's strategies :).