• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Uploading Images to the Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It seems quite a few people are having issues with this, so take heed:

The easiest way to upload images saved on your computer to the Internet is to sign up for an account with an Image Host. They'll give you a set amount of space that you're allowed to use and guide you through the process of uploading. After your picture is uploaded all you need to do is copy the image URL your host gives you for it and post it whenever you like.

Probably the most popular image host is Photobucket, but many others exist as well. If for some reason you can not get a Photobucket account just search on Google for other free Image Hosts.

And that's all it takes. Any remaining questions and comments go here.

------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE

Since the forums do have their own Attachment system now, anyone can simply upload their image directly from their PC onto the forums. Just go down to the "Add on Attachment" area when posting, hit browse, find the file you want, and finish by hitting Open. After that, just post. That simple.

:? How would I put the image on my post like so many other people?

BTW,how do I make my own website (also like so many other people on this site) and does it cost money?
:?

Cam-man D'Pokeman said:
:? How would I put the image on my post like so many other people?
:?

See the little button that says "Img" when you go to post? Click that, and type in the URL of your picture. Just remember to try not to leech off people. They get pissed off, trust me.

A URL is a small mammal found in eastern europe, they live amongst trees and feed on berries and acorns.

A URL is a website address.

I'll leave it up to you to figure out which statment is real.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Cam-man D'Pokeman said:
How would I put a URL? can you give me an example? :? and...what is a URL? :lol:

You can post a URL one of three ways:

a) Simply copy the link given for the page you're currently visiting (from the area that generally reads "http://..." at the top of your screen) and just paste it on the forum.

b) Use the URL tag beside the Img tag above Font colour/Font Size when posting a message (hit it once, paste your URL like in (a), then hit it again to close the tag)

c) Or write [ url=your link, again copy and pasted from the box at the top of your screen ] The words you want to show up and [ /url ] to close the tag. Of course when you're actually using the code do not include spaces.

An example of what It'll end up like this if you've done it right: Pokecharms

Clear as mud?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
UPDATE

Since the forums do have their own Attachment system now, anyone who finds the process of registering for an image host can just skip that from now on and simply upload the image directly from their PC. Please don't anyone say they don't know how to do that... You go down to the "Add on Attachment" area when posting, hit browse, find the file you want, and finish by hitting Open. After that, just post. That simple.

You can post a URL one of three ways:

a) Simply copy the link given for the page you're currently visiting (from the area that generally reads "http://..." at the top of your screen) and just paste it on the forum.

b) Use the URL tag beside the Img tag above Font colour/Font Size when posting a message (hit it once, paste your URL like in (a), then hit it again to close the tag)

c) Or write [ url=your link, again copy and pasted from the box at the top of your screen ] The words you want to show up and [ /url ] to close the tag. Of course when you're actually using the code do not include spaces.

An example of what It'll end up like this if you've done it right: Pokecharms

Clear as mud?

Another way to get an URL is if you go to the picture, right click on it, go to "Properties" and the image URL will be there.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
This is a random question, but I feel it fits this thread rather well.

Okay, I need an alternative uploading host to Photobucket. Either that, or someone has to explain to me how to upload large pictures onto it without them getting compressed. Twice now its shrank my images to the point that the text on them became unreadable, and that's really annoying when being able to read the text is kinda the point... XP

Anyways... anyone have any suggestions for this situation?

If its just the odd large picture, Tinypic works just fine for that. Thats what I use, and I'm in that situation too.

Asides from that, no idea :(

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
If desired, I could probably try and set up a 'Charms-specific image host on my server. It'd probably be a PM to access jobbie, but I would probably not have dimension or file-size limits, so you could upload pictures that are as big as you need.

Thoughts?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
If desired, I could probably try and set up a 'Charms-specific image host on my server. It'd probably be a PM to access jobbie, but I would probably not have dimension or file-size limits, so you could upload pictures that are as big as you need.

Thoughts?

That'd be cool for me ^^
I wouldn't be using it much either. Just for the odd large pic.

Find that if I upload images I do on paint strait from my computer to here they are to large. Any ideas?

I believe that Photobucket offers a resizing option, but it may be fairly limited.

You could always download GIMP (it's free) and use that to resize. It's moderatly similar to Photoshop and there are may tutorials floating around for it. As for resixing in MSPaint, I couldn't help you there as I don't know much about it, but I would assume it at has at least a basic form of tha function.

You do it exactly as the OP says, save the image to your computer, upload it to photobucket and then paste the IMG code into your signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.