• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Unpopular anime opinions

Jayblade

Previously AceTrainerGold
I thought Ash Greninja was awesome! Never seen anything like it!
The battles with it were awesome. But I’m not really a fan of the concept, I don’t get why their bond in particular was so strong. They should’ve just brought back one of his old Pokemon that he could mega evolve.

aurivee_

Previously EeviumZ
I've never really watched any other anime so I guess it's not really my place to say. xD

I just see the Pokemon anime get a lot of hate amongst the anime fandom. I don't think it deserves it that much. Yes, the protagonist is an absolute idiot (most of the time), but I find it somewhat amusing to watch.

Jayblade

I've never really watched any other anime so I guess it's not really my place to say. xD

I just see the Pokemon anime get a lot of hate amongst the anime fandom. I don't think it deserves it that much. Yes, the protagonist is an absolute idiot (most of the time), but I find it somewhat amusing to watch.
I find it enjoyable to a degree. I much preferred when I was younger, it was at its best during Johto in my opinion. I honestly prefer when Ash is an idiot, it suits him more than being a “badass”. Though in Black and Whithe was just TOO dumb for my liking.

And not gonna lie I might actually check out the new season, it seems to be the most anime-ish so far, even the opening.

Shikowara

Previously Lily May
I can agree with you Eevium, he is pretty stupid, but the number of losses in battle he has is huge! But, that taught me that losing is OK. And thats why I kept watching. Ash is probably one of the best examples for kids who get very bratty when they lose.

~Rinko~

Previously PrincessPika~chan

True, Ash is comically dumb idiot.

Also, the black/white anime wasn't bad and I don't get why people complain about Iris when Cilan is annoying, repetitive and boring with faaaaaaaaaaaar too many dumb food metaphors.

I was 10 when I first registered on a forum and was exposed to people calling Ash an idiot. It broke my heart. I was like, “Stop insulting my childhood hero! You’re all just a bunch of cranky critical cynical petty heartless edgy over-the-hill 30-year-old fucks expecting the protagonist of a kid’s show to be a smart guy! He’s a stupid character who appeals to stupid kids, you grown-ups keep your real-world opinions out of toyland!”

Minus the profanities, that’s modern me talking. I think young kids actually look up to Ash and don’t view him as an idiot. The anime introduced Iris as a character who pointed out Ash’s flaws not because of popular anger over his idiocy and the need for some self-awareness, but because they caved specifically to the pressure of those older Pokémon fans who ruin everything... Lol. :p

I still don’t hate Ash nor do I call him stupid because I don’t care if he is. Those who think he is can find consolation in the fact that he lost every league until Alola. Luffy, on the other hand... is an overconfident ignoramus who should get punched in the face and taught a lesson, and he’s way too young, unintimidating, boyish, immature, and corny-looking to be Pirate King (last I heard of anything One Piece, which was years ago. Thanks Akainu for killing Ace and putting Luffy in his place, added some realism to the story and showcased the fucked up shit that can happen on a pirate journey that was otherwise sunshine and rainbows for the MCs, also killed Ace off and broke the trend of every character close to the MC having plot armor.)

Jayblade

I was 10 when I first registered on a forum and was exposed to people calling Ash an idiot. It broke my heart. I was like, “Stop insulting my childhood hero! You’re all just a bunch of cranky critical cynical petty heartless edgy over-the-hill 30-year-old fucks expecting the protagonist of a kid’s show to be a smart guy! He’s a stupid character who appeals to stupid kids, you grown-ups keep your real-world opinions out of toyland!”

Minus the profanities, that’s modern me talking. I think young kids actually look up to Ash and don’t view him as an idiot. The anime introduced Iris as a character who pointed out Ash’s flaws not because of popular anger over his idiocy and the need for some self-awareness, but because they caved specifically to the pressure of those older Pokémon fans who ruin everything... Lol. :p

I still don’t hate Ash nor do I call him stupid because I don’t care if he is. Those who think he is can find consolation in the fact that he lost every league until Alola. Luffy, on the other hand... is an overconfident ignoramus who should get punched in the face and taught a lesson, and he’s way too young, unintimidating, boyish, immature, and corny-looking to be Pirate King (last I heard of anything One Piece, which was years ago. Thanks Akainu for killing Ace and putting Luffy in his place, added some realism to the story and showcased the fucked up shit that can happen on a pirate journey that was otherwise sunshine and rainbows for the MCs, also killed Ace off and broke the trend of every character close to the MC having plot armor.)
I like Luffy, he’s one of the better anime main characters in my opinion, in terms of shounen anyways. But I can’t thank Akainu for killing Ace, he was my boi.

But like Ash is supposed to be stupid, Luffy is meant to be all the things you listed. And I don’t think he’s completely unintimidating.

Shikowara

Previously Lily May
Amen!!

I haven't watched One Piece, I'm probably not gonna tho...

I know zach bell is old and forgotten ,but I can't think of anything to add...

I like parco folgore
(Funny enough in the english one he sings about dancing ,but in the japanese one he sings about groping people... I posted the english version just in case...)

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
My unpopular opinion isn't necessarily about a specific anime, but the boring settings and predictable behaviors of almost every character.
  • School settings.
  • Love triangles.
  • Childhood love interest.
  • The hero being a cookie cut personality.
  • Queer baiting.
These are only a few of the things that really annoy me about general anime. There are some marvelous anime shows out there, but I find that when they fall into these categories, I end up enjoying them a lot less. Some are able to take these things and make them interesting in their own creative and meaningful ways, but most seem to not even bother. I've watched anime less and less over the years because of this.

Shikowara

Previously Lily May
Don’t blame you there. It’s a good anime but it’s too long for its own good.
Yeah I looked it up its 909 episodes...

I know zach bell is old and forgotten ,but I can't think of anything to add...

I like parco folgore
(Funny enough in the english one he sings about dancing ,but in the japanese one he sings about groping people... I posted the english version just in case...)
XD Thats great!
And yes, I'd go with the english dub too XD

Yeah I looked it up its 909 episodes...

XD Thats great!
And yes, I'd go with the english dub too XD
Parco Folgore truly was truly was ahead of his time...

I think he may be part of the reason why I like Yugo aoyama from my hero academia ,and ichiya from fairy tail...
6d6147c897226062ddd27e1e1b531ea80158b5c8r1-1920-1080v2_hq.jpg

255b8e68be9f858506ba6b533bd99f89.jpg

XanthousXatu

Previously SwiftSwoobat
I didn’t like Naruto, or Naruto Shippuden. I hate most of the characters, though I like the concept of the series. It’s mainly having to watch the characters be too edgy, too useless, too immature, or too overpowered that really agitated me.

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
I didn’t like Naruto, or Naruto Shippuden. I hate most of the characters, though I like the concept of the series. It’s mainly having to watch the characters be too edgy, too useless, too immature, or too overpowered that really agitated me.
This is exactly why I prefer the manga. Even then, the manga can drag on, but at least the overdramatic and overpowered moves are taken a bit more seriously. The anime, especially the dub, just isn't as interesting as the manga.

Last edited:

Jayblade

I mean yeah most of the time the manga is better. But I personally prefer anime, mainly because I’ve watched a lot more anime than I have read manga. Some stuff just works better in animation than in manga.

I personally think stuff like Gintama, FMA, Danshi Koukousei No Nichijou, Death Note and whole bunch of other stuff work better as anime then they did as manga.

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
I mean yeah most of the time the manga is better. But I personally prefer anime, mainly because I’ve watched a lot more anime than I have read manga. Some stuff just works better in animation than in manga.

I personally think stuff like Gintama, FMA, Danshi Koukousei No Nichijou, Death Note and whole bunch of other stuff work better as anime then they did as manga.

This is true for some forms of animation, but Naruto was sadly just not one of them which was unfortunate. I find that Trigun, Ghost In The Shell and Excel Saga are a thousand times better in their anime forms than in their manga though. It's rather fascinating when you can see the difference between the two mediums at work!

~Rinko~

Previously PrincessPika~chan

I think anime generally works better because it's easier to understand what's going on, especially in the middle of fight scenes or when you get confused on whose talking. Or both (I swear, that's the one thing I don't like about that awesome guy).

Anyways, I feel like I should say this, filler isn't the worst thing ever, despite the fact that I feel a lot of people think that. Most of the time it shows character development, which is really important. That said, if it's not got much/any character development, anything plot-relevant in or lots of funny jokes, then there's no point watching/reading that part of it.

Jayblade

I think anime generally works better because it's easier to understand what's going on, especially in the middle of fight scenes or when you get confused on whose talking. Or both (I swear, that's the one thing I don't like about that awesome guy).

Anyways, I feel like I should say this, filler isn't the worst thing ever, despite the fact that I feel a lot of people think that. Most of the time it shows character development, which is really important. That said, if it's not got much/any character development, anything plot-relevant in or lots of funny jokes, then there's no point watching/reading that part of it.
That one awesome guy?

I haven't seen any of this toxic mha fandom so I haven't the foggiest clue what your talking about...

Sidenote, I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but I'd like to see who izuku's dad is...

I'm glad you brought up hunter x hunter... I nearly forgotten about that show... it would be neat if the show continued...

Hisoka is kind of a boring character in a way... for the same reason goku is kinda boring. Don't get me wrong... I like these characters ,but they both obsess over fighting strong opponents which to me just isn't an interesting hobby... hisoka sorta makes up for it by being a psycho ,and a great source of memes...
b286d46a5e8167f093fa84883ed93134.gif

And I suppose goku kinda makes up for it by being a carefree idiot...

Shikowara

Previously Lily May
They praise the show like it’s a gift from god, which wouldn’t be a bad problem on its own but...they usually attack people who disagree with them. For example I said I personally think hunter x Hunter is better in my opinion and he completely bit my head off.
I actually really like Hunter X Hunter. I don't watch it in front of my brother or parents because of the swears....

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
For all of its flaws, Bleach is actually a pretty decent Anime with its best quality being its OST. Don't believe me? Go to youtube and look up the Bleach OST. I'd post links myself, but this post would be inundated with all the ones that pop to mind so I'll list a few good ones.

Stand Up Be Strong
Invasion
Treachery
Soundscape to Ardor
Torn Apart
Nothing Can Be Explained
B13A
B07A
Cometh the Hour
Power to Strive
Shadow's Masquerade

Most, if not all of these, provided the BGM when I was writing Vol1 of RoTN back in the day. Among other quality music of course.

Definitely! Kariya's theme is one of my favorites(whisper of the apocalypse)... aizen had cool theme a theme song too... like clavar la espada. And who can forget ichigo's theme?!

Jayblade

Might try bring this back a little.

In all honesty I don’t know why Fullmetal Alchemist: Brother is considered by many to be the greatest shounen of all time, or even the greatest anime.

Don’t get me wrong the series was really good and I don’t hate it, at all. I get why people praise it so much, it has good characters, a good power system and good story telling. But I really don’t know why it’s said to be this “masterpiece” compared to other series like it.

I know it’s all down to opinion but I still don’t get what’s so amazing about it. Although to be fair I used to be on of those people who would praise the shit out of it.

Im not sure if I want to watch fullmetal alchemist... don't they lose their cool powers by the end... I don't know because I haven't watched it... if they do they get new powers or something cool or go back to living normal lives?
802r0ra4-720.jpg

Jayblade

Im not sure if I want to watch fullmetal alchemist... don't they lose their cool powers by the end... I don't know because I haven't watched it... if they do they get new powers or something cool or go back to living normal lives?
802r0ra4-720.jpg
I mean the show had a satisfying ending at least, but yeah I think they do lose their powers, haven’t watched it in a while though.

Despite what I said I do highly recommend it though.

Now that I'm halfway through Battle in Egypt, I blame no one who dropped Jojo's Bizarre Adventure before this.

Part 1 is a really boring experience that didn't age well, and had one good moment near the end. Or rather, at the end. It's a nice set up for the rest of the series though.
Part 2...Is pretty solid actually. Really thoroughly enjoyed it all, up to the final moment. Everything felt nice and solid.
Part 3 is oh my gooooooood. Compared to the twenty-ish episodes for both Part 1 and 2, Stardust Crusaders is a damn slog. Half the stand battles are absolute forgettable encounters who don't matter to the overall plot. They aren't bad episodes persay but it does feel like the plot never really goes anywhere fast. Even in Egypt it takes like seven episodes to get to Cairo. And not to mention, many characters get absolutely screwed over- Avdol disappears until the last three or so episodes of season 1, destroying the time and chemistry everyone else had built up. And then in Egypt, Kakyoin immediately gets hospitalized for half the season, only showing up again halfway through. There's a weird amount of focus on Polnareff, which while fine feels unfair to the other two. And even the main character Jotaro, who's usually just out of reach in a given encounter as otherwise he'd punch the problem in the face.

Also the episode with Alessi/Set made me feel really uncomfortable, but I'm not sure if that's really an unpopular opinion.

I haven't started Part 4 or 5 yet, still not done with Part 3 (Given the hype around Vanilla Ice and DIO it's stupid to abandon ship now) and I did feel like some of the throwaway encounters were fun enough that my time wasn't too wasted (Particularly ZZ/Wheel of Fortune, Oingo and Boingo who were hilarious, especially when the latter teams up with Hol Horse, and D'arby the gambler, who was genuinely great) but I can't blame anyone who dips a few episodes in.

When the Isekai genre first blew up, I thought it was the best thing ever. I love it when the character has a world-breaking secret/overpowered ability that causes others to underestimate him, or when the character has to prove himself like in The Rising of the Shield Hero. Gate, Wiseman's Grandchild, Outbreak Company, No Game No Life, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Arifureta, and Re:Zero are also some of my favorite shows.

But as more and more people are doing isekai, a lot of crappy ones are emerging, and it made me realize that what I want in an anime is a serious story. The new shows of that genre are super gimmicky, like one where the protagonist is OP as expected but the catch is that he's unreasonably cautious, for comedic effect, or KonoSuba, where everyone in the protag's party is super strong but their gimmick is they all have a flaw that makes their ability useless. Though I get that they have to put their own spin on isekai to stand out in a crowded field, the attempt at being funny prevents me from taking the plot seriously (things like self-awareness don't help either.)

That's how I am with all shows nowadays tbh. I want a story, not trash whether it's harem, isekai, or any other genre. That's why Demon Slayer is one of the few new series I'd watch to the end. If I can tolerate any sort of comedy anime (vs. a serious show with the occasional bit of comedic relief), it has to be super edgy and inappropriate like Prison School or the English dub of Ghost Stories. Anything less is too soft/not intellectually stimulating.