• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Unova PRPs and the Storage Systems

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The Anime series has been raising some interesting questions regarding whether or not PokeBalls can be easily transferred to far away regions. As of now, it appears that they can't be transferred like usual - but as far as I can tell this hasn't been confirmed one way or another.

Since most of us have emulated the Anime style for storing our Pokemon (as in, we keep the extras with a physical person who takes care of them), I'm wondering how you guys have been working this concept in your Unova PRPs for characters who don't originate from Unova. Should there be restrictions, or is it generally accepted on Pokecharms that you can still transfer Pokemon back and forth like usual?

Thoughts? :O

Rex

Resident Furry
This really is something that comes down to how the person in question runs their universe. I tend to ignore what the anime comes up with, and thus use the storage system displayed and advanced by the games. Celio was able to connect the Sevii Islands to Kanto and Hoenn three years, if memory serves correct, before the events of Generations Two and Four, which Generation Five happens an unspecified time after. Given how fast technology advances in the read world, I don't think that it is unlikely for that network to have reached Sinnoh and Unova.

Hell, this same sort of system could be applied to those who do give their Pokemon to trusted people. A connection shouldn't be that difficult. If a plane or a ship can make it to Unova, information should not have trouble doing the same. Since Pokemon in the boxes are simply bits of code, there shouldn't be too much trouble. Or, if you'd rather not get too technological, standard mail is an alternative. That's my opinion at least.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Whether you use the Anime system of having Pokemon on a ranch somewhere or the game/manga system of having Pokemon stored in suspended animation in a PC, they all travel via PC to get from point A to point B so getting Pokemon from Pokepan to Unova should be as easy as sending an email from Japan to America and vice versa.

I don't believe restrictions on such things should be made... The anime letting Ash have seven pokemon, as I've so heard, over and over and over again, seems like just another hook in an attempt to revive the dying pool of anime fans... The power of the internet should be worldwide, in any universe, so storing them in your PC box or sending them to a trusted friend or family member should be as easy as one-two-three... A click of the button, if you will... Personally, I've never thought of a storage method for Frank's pokemon... I always figured he just sends them to his mother in the Johto region via PC, I don't think that should be crippled in anyway... It all depends on what the RPer wants to do with the pokemon in question, anyway. Why just drain the decision pool, thus, taking away story possibilities? Whether an RPer wants it to be difficult to send their extra pokes back home is up to them, but I don't think it should be implemented into the rules and forced upon all the RPers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The iFlare said:
Whether an RPer wants it to be difficult to send their extra pokes back home is up to them, but I don't think it should be implemented into the rules and forced upon all the RPers.

Just an FYI, I never assumed anyone would impose actual rules about this. I just wanted to see how others have been handling it, or how they feel about the subject in general.

So, really, don't worry about it. This is a discussion topic and nothing more. XD

P.S. - Ash isn't using seven Pokemon at once, so whoever you heard that from is wrong. They're just not sending his Pokemon back to Prof. Oak this season. :x

In my head, I see the storage of excess Pokemon in the field to be sort of wireless. I imagine a Pokeball glowing and dissassociating its particles over a distance to reform as code in a Pokecenter's PC miles away. (or kilometers, for the metric people) Nevertheless, I think the mailing of it, either in a package by a governmental system or flown over by bird Pokemon to be perfectly acceptable.