• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Open University of Fairy Tales Discussion

Hi, Crimson. Can we venture outside of Disney-ish fairytales and into other cultural fairytales for a character? Say...

- Content Deleted -

Last edited:
Or if you want to stay more familiar and modern, I could do this instead.

Name: Mauli Maui
Fairy Tale Story/Parents: Moana / Maui
Alignment: Hero
Personality: Mauli is as rebellious and head strong as her father before her. Enthralled by any challenge no matter how irrelevant, her adventurous nature usually leaves her with injury but satisfied nonetheless. Though she doesn’t seek adoration on the same scale as her father once did, she does enjoy a good crowd and shines with confidence in a spotlight role. Her warm, outgoing personality and tendency to involve herself in any situation means she knows just about everyone and loves ‘collecting’ new friends.
Appearance: Mauli looks like a wild-woman straight from the islands, with Tahitian style tattoos over much of her dark tan skin and a tangle of thick, brown hair. She is muscular, more so than might typically be attractive, but she wears it well and does very little to hide it. Most at home in island attire or swimwear, her skimpier choice of outfits at school usually has her on the receiving end of a teacher’s lecture. When she does comply with the uniform requirements, an off-white tank top and shorts is the best you can expect. And forget shoes; she never bothers with them. Occasionally she’ll add a plumeria flower to her hair if she really feels like being a tease. What she never goes without however is her waist tied half-sarong and kept tied firmly in its knot is her own ornately-carved magical fishhook. Though considerably smaller than her father’s original artifact at only about 14in long, it bestows the same shape-shifting abilities.

Last edited:

Crimson Sun

Previously Crims0n
I don't think folklore aren't necessarily fairy tales
Fairy Tales generally have a set story, while folklore can change, if you understand what I mean by that
There isn't a set story involving a kitsune, or a yokai, or a banshee or anything like that

Meanwhile Disney characters aren't necessarily Fairy Tale all the times, but Moana marginally makes it by having their own set story
Like, Cinderalla is a Fairy Tale by Disney that works for this circumstance, but soem other Disney works like Mickey Mouse doens't genreally work as there's no set story for it

TL;DR Kitsune doesn't work, Moana works
Or if you want to stay more familiar and modern, I could do this instead.

Name: Mele Maui
Fairy Tale Story/Parents: Moana / Maui
Alignment: Hero
Personality: Mele is as rebellious and head strong as her father before her. Enthralled by any challenge no matter how irrelevant, her adventurous nature usually leaves her with injury but satisfied nonetheless. Though she doesn’t seek adoration on the same scale as her father once did, she does enjoy a good crowd and shines with confidence in a spotlight role. Her warm, outgoing personality and tendency to involve herself in any situation means she knows just about everyone and loves ‘collecting’ new friends.
Appearance: Mele looks like a wild-woman straight from the islands, with Tahitian style tattoos over much of her dark tan skin and a tangle of thick, brown hair. She is muscular, more so than might typically be attractive, but she wears it well and does very little to hide it. Most at home in island attire or swimwear, her skimpier choice of outfits at school usually has her on the receiving end of a teacher’s lecture. When she does comply with the uniform requirements, an off-white tank top and shorts is the best you can expect. And forget shoes; she never bothers with them. Occasionally she’ll add a plumeria flower to her hair if she really feels like being a tease. What she never goes without however is her waist tied half-sarong and kept tied firmly in its knot is her own ornately-carved magical fishhook. Though considerably smaller than her father’s original artifact at only about 14in long, it bestows the same shape-shifting abilities.
Accepted, Welcome to University of Fairy Tales!

Crimson Sun

Previously Crims0n
How does Moana work? I don't think it's a Fairy Tale. I'm pretty sure it's part of Hawaiin myth or something.
My logic is weird but hear me out lol

Moana, whats the first story you think of? The story of how she traveled to find Maui and put the heart of Tafiti back

Kitsune, whats the first story you think of?
There is no set story to it, kitsune is folklore and legends.

Any “fairy tale” that has a set storyline to it, then r counts for my part
I’m opening it up to Disney as well. But not all disney stories.

Kitsune, I immediately think of the story of Kuzunoha. It's one I grew up hearing (But different culture so probably not one popular here)

Moana I was more thinking the story of Maui instead of her, as Moana's journey is a Disney creation where as the story of Maui is a traditional Polynesian fairytale.

Crimson Sun

Previously Crims0n
Well the thing is, the European/Americanized Fairy Tales are “popularized” if if I may call it that. That’s what University of Fairy Tale is revolved around

and we were planning to use other folklore or mythological as a rivaling school. Such as your Kitsune OC can be used for the rivaling school. it’s just that we won’t be focusing much on that rivaling school.

Like I said, Moana/Maui is like borderline ok. Like, it involves a whole set story that everyone knows of already. It’s not European, but it’s Americanized that’s why i marginally allowed it

I had a further 2 possible ideas I'm considering; both nale and both of which are from stories that have already been approved via other characters.

Quick question though; if I were to do a fairy character (Peter Pan / Tinkerbell), would I need to explain why he is 'human' size? The other option of leaving him tiny just seems cruel.

Crimson Sun

Previously Crims0n
I had a further 2 possible ideas I'm considering; both nale and both of which are from stories that have already been approved via other characters.

Quick question though; if I were to do a fairy character (Peter Pan / Tinkerbell), would I need to explain why he is 'human' size? The other option of leaving him tiny just seems cruel.
not really you can have them regular sized
Like my Puss in Boots OC is still supposed to be a cat, but he is still humanoid if you know what’s i mean.

there’s charcaters within te franchise that can change their size and shape, so i don’t see anything wrong with your character regular sized

EDIT: If anything, if my explanation was too confusing and doesn’t make sense for you, I can just accept both of your characters if you want.

Last edited:
Changing Mele's name to Mauli, if that's ok. Pronunciation is similar to the original but it will visually resonate with her fairytale more (to make it easier to recognize).

Void_Nugget

Previously Shadow_Pup
Name: Emily Witch
Fairy Tale Story/Parents: Narnia/(White Witch or Jadis)
Alignment: Villain
Personality: Emily is short tempered and can be kind of violent. But she can also be kind hearted.
Appearance: Kind of short, skinny, long white hair, freckles, blue eyes. Wears a white crop top, short shorts and white snow boots.

Last edited:

Crimson Sun

Previously Crims0n
Name: Emily Frost
Fairy Tale Story/Parents: Narnia/(White Witch or Jadis)
Alignment: Neutral
Personality: Despite her mother being very evil, Emily is kind hearted and sweet, but she is also short tempered and can be kind of violent.
Appearance: Kind of short, skinny, long white hair, freckles, blue eyes. Wears a white crop top, short shorts and white snow boots.
I'd changed the last name to "Witch" because when I think of "Frost" I'd think of the child of Jack Frost. "Witch" would work because her alias is White Witch.

other than that, or if you want to question/ask anything
Accepted!