• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles "Undaunting Wyvern"- A Tyrantrum-Based Team

Um, hello everyone! This is ExoFlashFire on here, Pokemon Showdown, and Pokemon Online. Today, I want the other opinions of competitive players that have a knowledge of rating teams, so I can see if this team built around Tyrantrum is good or needs any necessary and/or secondary changes.

Excidio (Tyrantrum) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang
- Head Smash

Meet the star player, also known as Excidio the Tyrantrum. The reason I built around him was because I needed a counter to Talonflame and a check to Mega Charizard X. As D-Dance Tyrannitar/Mega Tyrannitar could've been an option, I wanted the STAB dragon claw bonus from Tyrantrum and I didn't want to build around a Sand Stream user that I always have to switch into, risking a possible KO. Plus, seeing Tyrantrum on a team is unpredictable, since the lizard tyrant is an elusive sight. Dragon Claw was used instead of Outrage since I don't want to be locked in to a dragon move if I KO the opponent's mon and he or she sends out a deadly Mawile or Azumarril. I use Lum Berry in case a Rotom or other ghost type wants to use Will-o-Wisp on my Tyrantrum.

Kurai (Garchomp) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang

Next up is my Garchomp, primarily used for revenge killing certain Pokemon such as a Mega Charizard X (if there is no x2 speed), Mega Charizard Y, Tyrannitar, Metagross, Jirachi, Latios, and other dangerous threats that could potentially destroy this team. The choice scarf helps me outspeed a 1.5 speed-boosted Charizard X and Latios(unless the Latios is scarfed).

Lock (Skarmory) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SDef
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 SAtk
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Skarmory is my Physical Wall and Lead, used to set up rocks and Whirlwind any setting up Pokemon. The EV spread is basic, and I used 44 EVs into Special Defence since his defence is already high, and maxing the defence EVs would be close to useless. I don't run defog in fear of boosting the evasion of a Malamar. This can also counter a Scarfed Ditto since Fire Fang from Tyrantrum and Garchomp won't do much unless the Ditto copied attack boosts. If not, I can whirlwind away.

Scylla (Gyarados) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Fang
- Outrage
- Waterfall

Gyarados is a must-need for sponging incoming Ice Beams and incoming Scalds, as well as a potent moxie sweeper. Plus, the Atrocious Pokemon is fast after a few speed boosts, and will sweep after attack boosts from Dragon Dance and Moxie. Overall, this pokemon is a monster unless electric types roam the battlefield.

Aphrodite (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SDef / 176 Def
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Draining Kiss
- Toxic
- Protect

Sylveon is my Special Wall and Wish Passer that has an unusual EV spread. 80 HP to reach a high HP stat, the obvious max Special Defence, and 176 Defence to take some crunches and a Knock Off from Adaptility Crawdaunt, Scrafty, and Bisharp. If that takes away my item of recovery, I will spam Wish and Protect repeatedly. I also use Wish to pass some HP on my Tyrantrum if he received a lot of recoil damage.

Axis (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Scald

I decided I would need a spinner and a fast special attacker, along with psychic coverage. Starmie, the OU threat since 1st gen, covers a spot on my team. As it is frail, Starmie is quick to use Rapid Spin, and will burn it's physical attacking opponents into a useless slot. Psychic is used for Conkelldurr, who is a threat on my team since it'll wreck Tyrantrum with Drain Punch, Knock Off on Skarmory and Starmie if the opposing trainer predicts properly, Thunderpunch on Gyarados, and will hit hard on Sylveon since Guts will give Conkelldurr high attack if it's statused. I have to play carefully with Starmie if I want to win against a team with a Conkelldurr.

I guess this is it. Please leave any constructive criticism since I'm looking forward into new changes for this team.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Judging by your team, this is not Gen 4 Singles :p Switched it to Gen 6 for you.