• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Umbramancy - Harry Potter RP (Discussion)

In the reboot, how do we do houses?

• Get an equal amount into the houses, or near-to equal.

• Decide on a house we're all in.

• Decide on a house we're all in because the Sorting Hat was hijacked somehow.

• Decide on a house we're all in because the Sorting Hat got confused.

• Other (Explain in a post)

Results are only viewable after voting.

comic

Previously turnt3chGodh34d
or we could have more than one character.
if everybody had two characters, then we'd have 18 characters between the nine of us. even three characters, making it 27, and a much larger cast.
there are cons, however, considering too large of a cast can get overwhelming, and certain characters may become forgotten, while others will rise above the others and get more 'screen time' per-say.
but we're assuming we'll have nine people if and when we start the new rp. we could have five, making three characters per each person at 15, which is still enough to sort into 4 separate houses.

Well, Kaleb’s personality only really fits Ravenclaw, and i have no other HP OCs. My role in the RP kinda becomes useless without Ravenclaw. Honestly though, can’t they be friends despite being in opposite houses? What’s wrong with a little diversity?

Little to no interaction and plot relevance. It's exceedingly difficult to make your character even the tiniest bit relevant outside of the Hogwarts Express if they're the only one in a given House.

Yeah, I don't like creating multiple characters for a role play. Two is pushing it considering the roles are so similar, so if creating more than that is a must, I'm out

@Comic I think everyone having two characters is DEFINITELY overwhelming enough, I think 9 might be enough.
@Cloudswift What about the library? That's a common place to meet, right?
@The Kitsune No, no, no, having two characters would never be a must.

Also, it'll be multiple houses in the same lesson, but everyone'll be the same year. Like the secondary-schools I know, the timetables are different for everyone. You might have Charms the same with someone else, but then the next lesson, they could have Potions and you could have Flying.

OK, so the reboot's gonna happen.

@Shadow_Pup unless people want to start at a higher year, having an Animagus or some powerful spells in first year is a bit odd. Unless you have a good reason to have one.

comic

Previously turnt3chGodh34d
probably because having a first year be an animagus is an extremely awful idea. firstly, it's an extremely advanced thing to learn. James Potter, Sirius Black, and Peter Pettigrew took a couple of years of study to learn it. And that was after they discovered Remus Lupin was a werewolf. and Peter was only able to get it down thanks to Sirius and James, who were actually pretty intelligent.
having a first year have the very complex magical ability of being an animagi is an absurd concept, and unrealistic, even in the world of Harry Potter. it just wouldn't feel right, and i can imagine you would probably have your animagi first year be doing really cringey stuff so that you wouldn't have to control a human all the time.
but that's just my two cents on the matter. i'm still not getting involved in this rp, but i've proven a valid point so as to NOT having a first year animagus.

I wouldn't mind starting at a later year, if that was the consensus.

And that way, we'd have less of the tedious first meetings and long, predictable sorting posts. It would give our characters a more believable role in combating this 'villainous force' if they already have a few years of magical experience to go off of too

MihajloJedi

Previously m1h4jl0
I think starting at first year would be best, because things like animagus are not necessarily needed for RP. Only problem would be charms

Chunky Ramen

Previously Canadian_Fish
I'd like to change a few things too, but maybe we should do 4 + 5th years? But if we do bring back the you-know-two thing, how would we do that? I have two questions on that: Are we assigning this as a role? And are we gonna bring back the whole Death Eater thing?