• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Types

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
In an attempt to make some startling predictions about the 4th Gen games, I have been doing some extremely sad and geeky research. I will share the fruits of that labour with you when it's a bit more coherent, and you will :roll: at my sadness ;).

Anyway, this is the less sad part of it.

Did You Know?

For no apparent reason, Azurill is Normal type, not Water like Marill and Azumarill. Is this a bug?

Talking of bugs, Dunsparce is also Normal type, despite patently being... a bug :shock:.

Most Pokemon stay the same type when they evolve, or add a second type to their existing one. (No, I won't bore you with the figures for how many gain a type on evolution - I didn't even bore myself with working it out!). Only 5 Pokemon lose types. These are:

1) Scyther, Bug/Flying -> Scizor loses Flying to become Bug/Steel.
2) Nincada, Bug/Ground -> Ninjask loses Ground to become Bug/Flying & Shedinja loses Ground to become Bug/Ghost (although it's obviously also a flying ghost bug from the illustration).
3) Onix, Rock/Ground -> Steelix loses Rock to become Steel/Ground (that, at least, makes sense).
4) Gloom, Grass/Poison --> Bellossom has no Poison! It's just Grass.
5) Surskit, Bug/Water --> Masquerain loses Water and gains Flying - even though there's all that blether in the Pokedex about it having water-repellent wings.

What an exciting life I lead, eh?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The Azuril thing bugs me too... Why IS it a normal type? Nobody has answered that for me yet, aside from "the programmers messed up" :?

You also forgot Tyranitar, who goes from the Rock/Ground Pupitar to Dark/Rock.

I think Azurill is a normal type simply because it has nothing that links it personally (aside from Marill and Azumarill) to a Water type. Marill is at least a water mouse... Azurill's just kinda a ball. That sits there.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Creatures Designer 1: "Hmm... So, what types will Jirachi be?"
Creatures Designer 2: "... Psychic?"
Creatures Designer 1: "No, did that already. A lot of alreadys..."
Creatures Designer 2: "Well... what about if we added something to it?"
Creatures Designer 1: "Flying?"
Creatures Designer 2: "Flying's lame, we only give that one to the lame birds remember."
Creatures Designer 1: "Oh yeah, I forgot, Ken and Satoshi wanted to make sure that the lame Pokemon were weak to that rat thing..."
Creatures Designer 2: "Lugia was cool though... I'm glad we won that one..."
Creatures Designer 1: "Yeah, ok, so no flying. Grass?"
Creatures Designer 2: "...Too Serebiiish... But a whacked out random type like Grass would do..."
Creatures Designer 1: "Oh, I know, No-one's done a Steel legendary before!"
Creatures Designer 2: *opens mouth and raises hand*
Creatures Designer 1: "They don't count, Ken told us to do those or he'd kill our families."
Creatures Designer 2: "Ok, good point. Let's go with Steel then. Might as well have one Steel Legend worth using eh?"

True story.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Doctor Oak said:
Creatures Designer 1: "Hmm... So, what types will Jirachi be?"
Creatures Designer 2: "... Psychic?"
Creatures Designer 1: "No, did that already. A lot of alreadys..."
Creatures Designer 2: "Well... what about if we added something to it?"
Creatures Designer 1: "Flying?"
Creatures Designer 2: "Flying's lame, we only give that one to the lame birds remember."
Creatures Designer 1: "Oh yeah, I forgot, Ken and Satoshi wanted to make sure that the lame Pokemon were weak to that rat thing..."
Creatures Designer 2: "Lugia was cool though... I'm glad we won that one..."
Creatures Designer 1: "Yeah, ok, so no flying. Grass?"
Creatures Designer 2: "...Too Serebiiish... But a whacked out random type like Grass would do..."
Creatures Designer 1: "Oh, I know, No-one's done a Steel legendary before!"
Creatures Designer 2: *opens mouth and raises hand*
Creatures Designer 1: "They don't count, Ken told us to do those or he'd kill our families."
Creatures Designer 2: "Ok, good point. Let's go with Steel then. Might as well have one Steel Legend worth using eh?"

True story.

I'm sure...

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Masquerain being part flying annoys me to no end. If it kept its water half, It could have been worth using.

Intimidate is a lame ability, anyway. It should have gotten Levitate and stayed Bug/Water. Considering the way it actually only kinda 'hovers' rather than just flies.

I think it's cute, though. ^^;

And Gary - Nice one. ^^ xD Explains the Regis, too. RoFL