1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Type Lockout: A New Type of Challenge Approaches!

Discussion in 'Pokémon Games Discussion' started by Kaleb Advent, Jun 19, 2020.

1. I hope this is original. If not, oh well!

You've all heard of the Nuzlocke, and all of its variations. This... Is not that at all.

I am about to introduce you to a special concept I made called...

Type Lockout

How do you play? Glad you asked.

See this wheel? Give it a spin!

What type did you get? Ground? Dragon? Steel? Great, now write it down.

Aaaaaand presto! You can't use that type for the whole run! Oh, and only one of each type on your team!

What's that? You lost all the starter types? Well you need a starter... I know! Spin the wheel again, and you can pick any starter you want!

Playing in a game where certain types don't exist? Just remove them from the wheel, and you get less spins for that game.

The amount of times you spin it affects the difficulty of the challenge. Now have fun!

Short and sweet version:
    -General Rules:
    -Spin the wheel. Write down the results.
    -Minimum difficulty: Spin 4 times, 14 types left
    -Recommended difficulty: Spin 8 times, 10 types left
    -Maximum difficulty: Spin 12 times, 6 types left
    -You can only have ONE of each type on your team.
    -IF Fire, Grass and Water are all locked, you can freely pick your starter. Spin for an additional type to lock.
    --When possible, this extends to the secondary types of the starters' evolutions.
    --If, for some reason, you DON'T want to pick a starter, just drop it in a box as soon as you can.
    -If a Pokémon has two types, it counts towards BOTH types.
    -If a Pokémon evolves into another type, it counts towards that type as well.
    -If a Pokémon LOSES a type as it evolves, it does not count towards that type.

--This is so Eevee can be used if you KNOW what to evolve it into.

-Game-Specific Rules:
    -In Pokémon Yellow and Let's Go! Pikachu: Electric is always unlocked. Remove it from the wheel, but don't subtract total spins.
    -In Pokémon Let's Go! Eevee: Normal is always unlocked. Remove it from the wheel, but don't subtract total spins.
    -In games before Generation 6: Remove Fairy from the wheel. Subtract 1 from the total spins.

-In Generation 1 games: Remove Steel and Dark from the wheel. Subtract 2 from the total spins.

-Optional Rules
    -BONUS TYPELOCKE MODE: Apply Nuzlocke rules

If you have any questions, let me know! I'd be happy to answer.

#1 Kaleb Advent, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Helios., Merciless Medic and Ooftello like this.
  2. Cáscara Olas

Cáscara Olas Previously IExistToo

I'm defiantly gonna give this a shot but I should say that the links just sent me to a renting service site xD. Anyway I'll. let you know how it pans out but I'm gonna do 8 types without nuzlocke rules in Pokémon X (T'was my first game)

3. Huh, so it does. Someone else must have gotten the same URL when using that URL shortener. I'll just use the original URL then.

By the time you read this, it should be updated with the real wheel.

4. Cáscara Olas

I can still choose between.

Normal
    Rock
    Bug
    Ghost
    Steel
    Fire
    Psychic
    Dragon
    Dark
    Fairy

Guess I’m choosing Fennekin lol.

Ooftello likes this.
  5. Guess so. What do you usually pick?

6. Cáscara Olas

Chespin probably but I if not Froakie was defiantly second because Delphox is Arceus's mistake.

7. I mean, I like Delphox, but I'm not gonna judge.

Also you keep using "defiantly" instead of "definitely."

8. Oh hey, just noticed you still have Fairy. Since you're playing X, that means you can get Xerneas if you want.

9. Cáscara Olas

Just realised that, although I might do without legendaries. Also I'm planning to start it later so if you want I can keep updating you. :)

10. This is quite interesting, I will try this on Pokemon Ruby. I'll do the 8 timed spin.

• Bug
    • Dark
    • Fire
    • Flying
    • Ghost
    • Grass
    • Water
    • Poison
    • Rock
    • Steel Pretty good selection and surprisingly got all starter types.

11. Cáscara Olas

Who you gonna choose?

12. I think Torchic because I usually pick he other two. Also because Swampert would be banned with that secondary ground typing.
    Edit: I almost picked Torchic before realizing Blaziken is part fighting.

#13 Ooftello, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  13. I think you should add a shiny clause because I just found a shiny Zigzagoon.

14. I only said you couldn't use them on your team. I never said you couldn't catch them. You know, just in case something like that happens.

Merciless Medic and Ooftello like this.
  15. I thought this was a typelocke thing that I was doing (where you have to use a specific type or types throughout the whole run) and then I realized it is the exact opposite of this. XD I may do this on one of my Pokemon games. Not sure which.

16. Welp, I'm gonna play through Pokemon White with the recommended difficulty and no nuzlocke rules, and the types I am locked out of are:

-Poison
    -Bug
    -Grass
    -Ghost
    -Flying
    -Fighting
    -Normal

So I can't use the Wild Pokemon near the beginning and the ones in the forest, and I also technically can't choose Snivy or Tepig since I won't be able to use it when it evolves.
    Oshawott it is! Not overly upset about it, I just wish I could have a new option, since I always choose Oshawott.

Merciless Medic likes this.
  17. Maximum difficulty on White. LET'S GO!!!

I'm locked out of Steel, Psychic, Water (bye Oshawott), Ghost, Ice, Electric (mmmm poor Zekrom...), Fighting (bye Tepig), Poison, Fire, Ground, and Flying.

I can only use Normal, Grass (yay, Snivy), Rock, Bug, Dragon, and Dark. Alright, a team of Serperior, Druddigon, Watchog, Boldore, Liepard, and uhhhh.. Is there a Bug-Type I can use? There's Leavanny (I already have a Grass-Type, so no), Scolipede (but that's Poison, so no), Crustle (I already have a Rock-Type, so no), Karrablast, Shelmet, and Durant (but that's Steel, so no). Jeeez...... and I can't trade them, so which do I choose? XD

Helios. likes this.
  18. Helios.

Helios. Previously RisingGarchomps

Okay guys, check this out. I span the wheel to find out what types I would have, I think this is a very interesting idea by the way. I put on the hardest difficulty rules. 12 times. 6 types left. This is brutal, especially in certain generations. The rule where you cant use a Pokémon with banned secondary typing is probably the most brutal because it means especially in the lower generations where there wasn't much of a variety of Pokémon with one type, they are all gone, cutting off most options.

Here are the types BANNED for me:

Grass
    Water
    Dragon
    Fairy
    Ground
    Fire
    Ice
    Bug
    Steel
    Flying
    Dark
    Ghost

This adds so much more difficulty because I now cannot use my starter Pokemon. I have to rely on early route pokemon, but Bug is gone. Luckily, I didnt get poison or Normal removed. That means i'm left with:

Poison
    Fighting
    Electric
    Rock
    Psychic
    Normal

I then randomized the generation to find out what game i'll playing should I do this. I got generation 1. Yep, basically the hardest game to do this format in with only these types. There isn't a lot of good ones out there and it looks like i'll be relying on Normal pokemon at the start of the game like Rattata with the occasional Mankey thrown in there. At least I can go and get a Hitmonchan or Hitmonlee should I go to the fighting dojo in Saffron. The Electric type does open up an opportunity. I could potentially take Pikachu as my electric type and go for Pokémon Yellow. However, that Pikachu doesn't evolve and there are better pure electric types in the game I believe. One major issue is how many typings in gen 1 also came with another typing. For instance, most rock types were also ground e.g. Geodude and Onix. As a result, I have made it further harder on myself in that I can't use ANY rock types as pure rock did not exist in this generation. You've got to thank later generations like gen 2 and 5 for mixing it up a bit and introducing this concept with mons like Sudowoodo and the Roggenrola line.

List of Pokémon I can use:

Ekans Line
    Grimer Line
    Koffing Line
    Mankey Line
    Machop Line
    Hitmonlee
    Hitmonchan
    Pikachu Line
    Voltorb Line
    Electabuzz
    Jolteon (and Eevee, i'm assuming I can have one or the other and then have the other type they share, this is a tough one)
    Abra Line
    Drowzee Line
    (Mewtwo is postgame)
    Rattata Line
    Meowth Line
    Lickitung
    Chansey
    Kangaskhan
    Tauros
    Ditto
    Porygon
    Snorlax

A lot of normal types to choose from compared to the rest. You can see that before this occurred it was already very limiting. I plan to do a nuzlocke to make this EVEN harder. And I don't normally finish a pokemon game...wish me luck.

#19 Helios., Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Ooftello and Merciless Medic like this.
  19. Friendly reminder: If you're locked out of all the starters, you get to choose one, and you get to choose which available type(s) to replace it's type(s) with. This is much more common on harder difficulties, but always possible.

However, if you WANT to keep the types and not use a starter, just drop it off at a box as soon as you can.

Merciless Medic, smew178 and Helios. like this.
  20. The rules have been updated! I added an extra subrule below the starters rule, as well as a rule for type removal on evolution.

Merciless Medic and Helios. like this.
  21. Alternatively, you could use the Universal Pokemon Randomiser to change the Pokemon to a non Fire/Water/Grass type Pokemon.

This seems interesting, especially because I have a copy of Platinum lying around somewhere...

Aight, here's the results:
    Ice (and nothing of value was lost)
    Poison (and nothing of value was lost)
    Dragon (and nothing of value was- OH WAIT HOLY-)
    Ground (This means trouble. Volkner could be a wall here.)
    Dark (noooo... Houndoom... Murkrow.... Umbreon....)
    Grass (Welp we can yeet Turtwig out the window...)
    Fire (And there goes Chimchar... guess I'll have to pick Piplup)
    Rock (sad Roark noises)
    Water (wait WHAT? Welp, time for the Universal randomiser...)
    Steel (nooooo Bronzong... :( )
    Bug (eh...)

So the remaining types are: Fighting, Psychic, Flying, Electric, Ghost and Normal.

Fighting will be a good Physical types throughout the run, and Psychic will prove to be useful, too. Ghost is an excellent type, having some crucial immunities. Flying, Electric and Normal are OK types. I'm glad the wheel didn't take away Flying, too, because then my options for Fly would be very limited. HMs are OK, as far as I'm concerned.

To have a full team of 6, my whole team must be compromised of pure types (i.e no secondary types), which I see being a problem. I'll also use the Universal Pokemon Randomiser to make trade evolutions evolve at Level 37, since I'm going to be having a few of those.

As for my starter, I'll just use the Universal Pokemon Randomiser to make my starter a Flying... oh wait. There are no pure Flying types in Gen 4. Welp, at least I have Normal, so... I'll make an unspoken rule that I can use a pure Normal type on my team too. Because the Normal part in a Normal/Flying type technically does nothing because Normal is only weak to Fighting and Flying resists Fighting. Could see myself using a Ghost type starter, since those are cool, but then I would probably flop against the early route Normal types unless I grind my brains out. I'm probably going to pick an Electric or Normal type.

Two more rules, I can't use items in battle (held items are allowed) and I can't catch more than 6 Pokemon. Ever. Gift Pokemon instantly get released.

Wish me luck...

#22 Sharksuitguy17, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020