• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Type Contradictions

You know how some Pokemon just have the weirdest type combos? This topic is to discuss those. I think the most odd typing is for Gligar and Gliscor. It's a scorpion, yet it's GROUND/FLYING. If anything, it should be poison flying. Another odd one is Barboach/Whiscash, being Ground/Water.

What do you think is an odd type combination?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Ground/Flying is an effing awesome type combination. >>;

I don't find any type combination to be weird. I find a few of them to be creative and interesting. But it still amuses me to see Normal/Anything-But-Flying combinations, like Bibarel and Girafarig. It's like... when you have a special side attribute you're hardly 'normal' anymore, right? >>

Also, there haven't been Psychic/Dark or Electric/Ground combinations yet. Personally, I quite like type contradictions.
But why is Heracross part fighting?! Seems pretty docile to me...

I find Ground/Flying quite normal if you take Ground to be all Naturey and such (not quite as Naturey as Grass mind you).

And I have to say, agreeing with Stel's point that he raised. Interesting, and it does, now that I think about it, make little sense :p

I do like odd and different type combinations ^^ It would be sooo cool to have a Fire/Water type because it would remind me of an underwater volcano...or a geyser.

Psychic/Dark would own so hard

I agree with Stel, Ground/Flying is a cool combo, but not for a scorpion. >>;; Another odd type combo, Psychic/Fighting. Seriously, they are opposites, and when put together.... I don't even know.

Another odd type combo, Psychic/Fighting. Seriously, they are opposites, and when put together.... I don't even know.

You get an oriental style monk? Focused in mind and body.

There aren't many type contradictions that I can think of, Electirc/Flying is the only one I can think of, though I'm not sure if that really counts as I think only Zapdos has that typing.

LoN, dirt is the essence of nature, it's where green stuff comes from, and where green stuff goes when it's dead. Scorpions are fairly well known for being, you know, in the ground and what-not, so that makes sense somewhat. It's also crossed with a bat. Almost like a child's imagination spawned a being mixed of two foreboding, but misunderstood, creatures. So Gliscor kind of makes sense, Jirachan >.>

Ish.

What about Ground/Flying?

how about a grass and steel type or a rock and water type or the fact lugia is psychic flying but that gives it good advantages against grass.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
How about you read the thread before making stupid, inane comments? >>; Warning. This is practically SPAM.

... On second thought, scratch that. I read the rest of this little idiot's posts, and he is not worthy to even be allowed on this forum. Banned.

Also, Jira, PokeMon are not the creatures they resemble. >>; I'm yet to see a semi-anthropomorphic scorpion creature with SIX limbs, a very mammalian face and goddamned gliding wing-membranes. Just because it has a tail like a scorpion doesn't MAKE IT a scorpion. >>

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I always thought Electivire should have been Electric/Fighting myself - it certainly looks brutish enough to pull the typing off.

Fire/Ice would definitely be one of the most peculiar type combinations in existence. The Pokemon would be perpetually melting itself in an endless cycle of agony...or just become a pure Water-type in the process.

Dark/Psychic is something I'd like to see in future generations even though it does clash somewhat, although the one type combination that I'd want to see more than any is Grass/Dragon. Quite a clash, in so much that this dragon would have trouble breathing fire (like almost all the Pokemon dragons can) without setting itself alight at the same time.

Personally the type contradictions never bothered me. I actually look forward to seeing awkward match-ups with every generation that comes out. I've been wanting to see a fire/ice type for quite some time. I just hope that if they do it, it won't be nearly as lame as Kirby's fire/ice power from Crystal Shards.

I think we might actually see a grass/dragon, seeing as that is the only other 4x weak to ice that we've yet to get.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
/cxzjv;lkajalj;lsagkjds;ljalks YOU SPOKE ITS NAME
YOU MUST DIE.

(Kills KoL with badly drawn MSPaint Lightning)

Also, Grass/Dragon's 'problems' breathing fire - moot as now there is a grass type that can use a fire move - Roserade during Sunny Day.