• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Tun's Trainer Sprite Tut c:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well ... hullo. c:
I'm here to present a tutorial~! A couple of people have previously told me that I should make tutorials, so I decided to go ahead and make one for trainer sprites, and post it here, on 'Charms :D

There are three parts, all of which I'll present in different posts. c:

.: Hair :.
1. So, first, take your sprite. c:
sv135c.jpg

I'm using the female cyclist from B/W, but you can use whichever sprite you wish~ :>

2. Shave your sprite's head! o:<
2dm5uee.jpg

Get it a nice, round shape, slightly smaller than the amount of hair they previously had~! (be careful, though!)

so1o2g.jpg

Make sure your hairline is just above the head - don't make it too high up, but keep it small enough~ c: (take note of my writing on the sprite c:)

4. Make a little colourschemechartthing for your hair :D
2zq4k60.jpg

Colour in the gaps of the hair your standard colour (second lightest) and onto the next step we goooo c:

5. Now, use your third darkest shade to shade in some bits on your hair :3
2cxb8te.jpg

Be sure to take note of your light source, which, in PokeMon, is usually in the top left corner. c: (I changed the outline of the hair accordingly, too, which you will probably want to do now c:)

6. Now, add in the second darkest shade to the very dark spots and highlight the top of the hair~
rc52rr.jpg

I usually do the highlights round about where they are in this tutorial sprite. c:

And that is that for the hair~!
Now it should look something like this ... :
ir3lus.jpg

Tune in for part twoooo~

~Tun​

Part two, here we come :D

.: Clothes :.
(This part is slightly longer, but here we goooo~)

1. Draw the outline of your item of clothing!
1z4ldok.jpg

(I'm doing a short-sleeved over-the-shoulder shirt)

2. Colour in the clothes -
1zm1bnm.jpg

- with usually the lightest shade for textiles :3

3. Add in shading and alter the colour of the outlines c:
69hueo.jpg

Make sure to pay attention to creases and folds, and read the writing in the above picture! :3

4. Add in the second darkest shade in the darker areas.
1418tmr.jpg

Pay attention to the text above :>

5. Make some black outlines in the darkest areas so it has more depth c:
245lhjp.jpg

Aannnnnd this is what the finished shirt looks like~
x1yhed.jpg

Follow these steps for any other items of clothing~!

.: Additional Trouser Tips :.

6. Follow steps 1+2 for your trousers :D
fp3xb8.jpg

Read what all the text says on the above picture~

7. And lastly,
nz1yxc.jpg

Once you've followed the rest of your steps, they should be looking something like that. ^^

Part 3 coming tomorrow (hopefully)~ ♥

~Tun​

Okay, so, the third and final parrrt~

.: Finishing Touches :.

1. Time to touch up the shoes~
1z2i1hk.jpg

As said in the above diagram, laces are hard, but can add as a nice feature. ^^

2. Add in some black in the darkest areas; as done before with the clothes (see above post). c:
opsmp.jpg

3. 'Kay, now we're going to go onto the shirt designs (not needed, but it looks nice :D)
2zog8w5.jpg

I'm doing a simple heart-and-rainbow design~

4. Now, adding the design onto the shirt,
nbq36c.jpg

Don't worry if it doesn't fit! That just makes the shirt look even more 3D and realistic ^^ (especially if the patient's body is turned slightly, not completely facing the focus point)

5. Now, shade in the pattern/design to match the shading of the plain T-shirt :D
mv145l.jpg

6. The subject is wearing fingerless gloves, so I'll explain how to sprite them here :>
2hmegd3.jpg

7. Shade in the gloves~!
k3un10.jpg

(Well- ... the picture says it all :V)

8. If your subject is a PokeMon trainer, and is holding a PokeBall, I always enjoy changing the colour of the PokeBall to suit them.
2cna92c.jpg

(Last step~!)
9. (the picture basically says all for this last step. c:)
10nfdhk.jpg

Now, with all that put together, I'd say it should have changed - something like ...

2ngs86u.jpg

This.

toooo ...

aope8j.jpg

This~! ♥

If you have anything else you'd like me to cover in this tutorial, just comment below and I'll be sure to cover it~! <33

~Tun​

I just said it in chat, but I'll say it here as well; that is amazing. I am DEFINITELY going to use this tutorial whenever I get into spriting :>

Weeds said:
I am DEFINITELY going to use this tutorial whenever I get into spriting :>

^ Me too =3 Thank you Tun for putting this up, I shall use it and put it to good use. Thanks!

Hey Tun! This tutorial is great. It actually helped me quite a bit in touching up some of my skills like the creasing and the hair. I think that maybe there should be one more step on how to change a trainer's pose just to add that extra layer of personality. Keep up the awesome work!

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
From a fellow spriter, I also find it useful to make copies of my sprite and put them to the side, in case I mess up somewhere and decide that I want to go back (and if you use paint, sometimes it won't let you undo after a certain number of strokes). Plus, it helps you see how much youv'e progressed from the original sprite~

Anyways, this was really helpful, Tun! I reallly like what you did with the hair, since that's always been one of my weak spots.

One thing I would really like for you to cover is probably Frankenspriting or splicing, since I've seen a few people attempt to do it but make the body parts look out of place. And maybe a tip or two on scratching? ^^;

Tun, I love this tutorial! ^^

This has really helped me learn how to sprite trainers, and mughshots! Using red to outline the hair and cothes really helps me~

Instead of rounding the head right below the original hairline, I like to just finish the actual head and add on the hair later.
Also, I like to use three colors for the highlights in the hair. I just like how it looks when I finish :V

I mostly follow this tutorial, but I just add my own little twists here and there ♥

This tutorial was really simple! I went from that first sprite you started with, to this:

sprite1.png

And, for a bonus, I wanna give you this Nidoqueen I recolored for making this awesome tut =]:

nidoqueen1.png

This is really useful! I got a question though: what do you use for obtaining your sprites? Is there some sort of database that you have knowledge of? Enlighten me please 8)

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally use The Spriters Resource for mine, seeing as they have enough PokeMon sprites to shake a stick at~ Just go onto tge DS bit, then click on P and look through for Pokemon games! They have Diamond/Pearl, Platinum, HG/SS and Black/White. They also have the older games in other sections, too!

But yeah, it holds trainer sprites, mugshots, PokeMon sprites, backsprites, menu icons, bag/item sprites, maps and rooms ... Almost everything you'd ever need ♥

And if you get bored of PokeMon, it has loads of other games too! Or if it's just the main series you're bored of you can find many a PokeMon spin-off~

Hope that helps!

(also, I'm thinking of making another part to this tutorial, covering splicing and scratching. I can't guarantee it'll come soon, but it'll come :>)

Tunolipede said:
I generally use The Spriters Resource for mine, seeing as enough PokeMon sprites to shake a stick at~ Just go onto tge DS bit, then click on P and look through for Pokemon games! They have Diamond/Pearl, Platinum, HG/SS and Black/White. They also have the older games in other sections, too!

But yeah, it holds trainer sprites, mugshots, PokeMon sprites, backsprites, menu icons, bag/item sprites, maps and rooms ... Almost everything you'd ever need ♥

And if you get bored of PokeMon, it has loads of other games too! Or if it's just tge main series you're bored of you can find many a PokeMon spin-off~

Hope that helps!

(also, I'm thinking of making another part to this tutorial, covering splicing and scratching. I can't guarantee it'll come soon, but it'll come :>)
Awesome this helps a bunch. Thanks 8)

Last edited by a moderator:
You have inspired me. Not only have I been creating sprites using this, I have made my most recent one into a fail animation =D
2rhac0m.gif
This was made from the Nursery Aide sprite. And yes, I know there's a problem with a backround. I fail :|

This was definitely helpful. I'm a new spriter (as you surely know by the little bit I think I've shown), and this was just amazingly helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.