• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Tropius opinions

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Between both Stel and Secad telling me I should train a tropius, I've decided to XD
I'm probably going to go with a more defense based set, but this is every set I could come up with

Physical Chlorophyll attacker

Tropius@Yache Berry [weakens ice attacks]
Adamant Nature
Chlorophyll ability
Sunny Day / Swords Dance
Earthquake
Leaf Blade
Aerial Ace

With a Base attack of 68, might not do so hot, but I'm trying to come up with and weigh everything I can. Swords Dance is a possibility with this set, probably in place of Sunny Day, but without the speed boost, I'd worry that it wouldn't even get to perform it's duties... I've been thinking about a Castform which would entirely solve that problem. EVs in attack and speed.

Special Chlorophyll attacker
Tropius@Yache Berry [weakens ice attacks]
Modest Nature
Chlorophyll ability
Sunny Day
Solarbeam
Air Slash
Hidden Power Fire / Silver Wind

Only 72 special attack, but with Hidden Power Fire, it could do a pretty good job, without it, I'd be hoping to flinch or get lucky off of Silver Wind. Special attack and Speed EVs.

Full-out Solar Power set
Tropius@Life Orb/Wise Glasses
Modest Nature
Solar Power ability
Solarbeam
Air Slash
Hidden Power Fire / Synthesis
Silver Wind

More than 520 special attack with the Life Orb, and about 440 with Wise Glasses. requires something else to set up the Sunny Day, and probably isn't worth it without the right Hidden power. Life Orb means it'll be losing HP faster than if it was hit with a status effect, so it probably won't get more than two attacks out before fainting. EVs either full special attack and speed [could help with some pokemon] or split defenses and full special attack.

Wallish Solar Power set
Tropius@Heat Rock
Modest Nature
Solar Power ability
Sunny Day
Synthesis/Roost
Solarbeam
Hidden Power Fire / Air Slash / Silver Wind

Roost eliminates the rock weakness, lowers the weakness to ice, gives back the electric resistance, though I'll drop the fighting resistance, and ground immunity becomes a resistance. Seems like a decent trade off for restoring half of its health, no? I don't know if I lose the STAB on Air Slash, but it's safe to assume so, and with this tropius as slow as it is, I'd prefer hidden Power Fire even if it did still get STAB. HP Fire offers better coverage and gets the equivalent of STAB from Sunny Day [leaves it horribly open to fire types, however].
Synthesis offers a full heal in place of the trade off with Roost, and Solar power working against me with attacks coming at me, Synthesis may be the better choice.
EVs will be split between defenses and full Special attack, or 170 EVs in each.

Leech Seeder
Tropius@Big Root/Leftovers
Bold or Calm nature
Chlorophyll ability
Leech Seed
Roost / Protect
Substitute / Toxic
Air Slash

Chlorophyll for a speed boost should sunny day come into effect with another pokemon and because Solar Power would be nothing but harmful if it came into play. Air Slash offers Grass coverage, which is really all it needs to go with Leech Seed. Roost restores HP, should Leech seed alone not be enough, and it also gives the trade-off I mentioned above. Toxic to speed up the killing process, which could be better combined with protect than roost. Substitute would prevent status, and I'd most likely be using it when whatever I'm fighting is about to die, so the switch in can't hit me directly yet. Many choices with this set, and it seems like the best for Tropius, given its stats. EVs in Defense and Special Defense, none in HP to further benefit Leech Seed, but I might put the extra 6 in it to aide with an extra substitute.

I like the Wallish Solar Beamer - as it's stats and ability to make this set fit the best.
Move-wise, Roost is much better with only increasing vulnerability to Bug, and HP Fire seems to be the most useful for coverage.

As for Roost: you lose the Flying typing till the end of the turn. So in theory, if you moved after the opponent, losing the Flying typing after, so it doesn't matter. You do regain the subtype once the turn ends. So you keep your STAB still.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Thanks for the info...

I suppose Roost would only be useful on Chlorophyll sets where I can turn it into a heal and defensive move at the same time... unless I have Sunny Day on something else, that pretty much means Roost is out of the question.

I guess Roost would almost always be better on a Sunny Day set - alowing more defense other than a new weakness to bug and actually being hit by Earthquake (No one would want to risk trying to though.) although Synthesis would heal ALL damage, so...
Healing, or Healing and defense?

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Damn people for changing crap up D:<
and at the same time I curse the fact all of my tactical knowledge spawns from second gen when it WAS a full heal in the sunlight >>

I'd still go with Synthesis on the slower sets, and more likely to use Roost on the faster ones, since I get no added bonus for roost on the Solar Power sets, and need the extra recovery anyway.