• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Trick Room influenced team

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Porygon-Z @ Life Orb/Choice Specs
Download
Modest
-Agility/Trick [depending on item]
-Tri Attack
-Thunderbolt / Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam / HP Fighting
EVs:
252/252 for specs
HP
60​
DEF
116​
S ATK
252​
S DEF
80​
The first of two pokemon on this team not geared specifically for living in trick room... however, PoryZ doesn't have the highest of speed stats anyway and can still feasibly live with the training I've given [The agility one, anyway]
Agility will raise my speed above and beyond Electrode's max speed... Paired with Download, I should be able to get some pretty good attacking in. Should.
Trick just because there really isn't anything better to put there, and it goes well with a choice item equpped.
Tri-Attack offers STAB, and neutral to all but three types.. as well as packing quite the array of effects.
Boltbeam for perfect coverage outside of Magnet line, as well as being slightly more powerful overall.
Pulse + HP Fight would offer me completely perfect coverage with Tri-attack. Though the attacks are weaker than boltbeam, they also specifically target the types Tri-attack can't hit: Rock, Steel, Ghost.

Ninjask @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
-U-turn
-Aerial Ace
-Night Slash
-X-Scissor
EVs: [keeping HP offset for Stealth Rock purposes]
ATK
252​
DEF
4​
SPD
252​
My trusty scout. Never failed me before, though that doesn't mean he won't now >>;
U-turn basically the entire reason this for this Ninjask's existance. Get in a STAB CB'd attack and flee before you get poked and die.
All other attacks in case I want to leave Ninjask in at some point, particularly if I think I can kill something and that it feels worth sacrificing my scout for... the attack choice is because the next best choices are Return and Metal Claw.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry [ground]
Quiet Nature
-Fire Blast
-Dragon Pulse / Various Hidden Power
-Earth Power
-Explosion
EVs:
HP
128​
DEF
64​
S ATK
252​
S DEF
64​
0 Speed IV
Aside from low speed IV, this Heatran isn't actually built for trick room, but can probably work fairly well in it without speed item/training.
The fact nearly everyone who uses a heatran equips it with a scarf and speed training is why this set will work. Send it out as a bluff on something that I know will switch from it [and many things will]. Get off an appropriate attack based on what I think will switch in, keeping in mind that they'll have no clue what my speed is if they switch... and the trap is set. They still probably think I'm faster, and that I'm locked into what move I used on the switch.
Explosion is just for a killswitch to anything I can't counter well and don't want to switch from.
All other attacks are for coverage and power.. the strategy with this set lies more in the item choice and a mimicry of a standard set.

Dusknoir @ Leftovers / speed lowering item
Relaxed Nature
-Curse
-Trick Room
-Gravity
-Earthquake
EVs:
HP
252​
ATK
252​
S DEF
4​
0 Speed IV
[EV swapping is very likely if I find that I'm not using EQ as much as suiciding out]
Works very much the same as my last Dusknoir, except that it's much more of a team player. Curse causing a switch, and then instead of pain split, Trick Room on the switch so I'm faster [more than likely]. From there I can decide what to do based on what comes out.
Curse is the main reason this set works.. can also be used to suicide out after activating trick room.
Trick Room because it's fun to mess with the highly sweeper-oriented teams that exist. Also protects Dusknoir from speedy taunters that may switch into the curse
Gravity for making Earthquake quite the godly move, and it adds more of a 'screw 'em over' factor to the set. Also allows ground moves to hit everything [see Heatran and Hariyama too]
Earthquake based off of Dusknoir's surprisingly high attack stat [base 100], as well as gravity coming into play, makes for an obvious choice.

Hariyama @ Leftovers / Sitrus Berry
Brave Nature
Guts ability
-Belly Drum
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break/Cross Chop
-Earthquake
EVs:
ATK
252​
DEF
128​
S ATK
128​
0 Speed IV
EVs may be swapped around if I feel like the attack is overkill after Belly Drum, or need more defenses.
Very slow and tankily built. Perfect for trick room, and yet can still function without it too.
Belly Drum because who wouldn't combine maximized attack with a priority move?
Bullet Punch See above statement. Will also help once trick room's inevitably short time is up.
STAB A lot of options here, but I lowered down to just these two, since I'd rather not lower my defenses. Crosh Chop would be almost solely for snorlax, who can abuse my own Trick Room. A critical hit can break through boosted defense.
Earthquake power, and will work with gravity for as long as it lasts. Payback is really the only other option here, which was counterproductive to the fact Belly Drum hurts me and that I'd be faster than a lot of foes for a bit.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Sassy Nature
Liquid Ooze ability
-Rapid Spin
-Giga Drain
-Poison Jab/Toxic
-Surf
EVs:
HP
40​
ATK
148​
DEF
252​
S ATK
68​
0 Speed IV
Was actually thrown together rather randomly... wanted it to be able to wall-break to some minor extent. I'm really looking for advice with this one, if you have any XD
Rapid Spin is for obvious reasons
Giga Drain Can heal me and offers pretty decent coverage when paired with a water attack.
Surf primary STAB and my most powerful move.
Poison Jab for secondary STAB, as well as grass coverage. Gives a decent shot at poisoning too, if I ever want to try my luck
Toxic would leave me entirely walled by Grass/Poison pokemon, which poison Jab doesn't, but might make a better utility anyway.

I like this team much more than my last one, because it feels a lot more like -I- actually made it. Trick Room and Heatran I'm especially looking forward to playing around with... as well as finally getting around to using Hariyama competitively.

Pory-Z and Tentacruel are sort of random on this team... but I figured an agility Pory would be worth trying out, and I needed a rapid spinner for my Ninjask to function at all.

I don't see any glaring weaknesses with this team, so please point anything you notice out... though I should say I don't care about any of Ninjasks weaknesses as it gets KO'd by anything that isn't fighting or ground.

It looks good, but you could have some problems because of only being half a Trick Room team, and you could find opponents using Trick Room against you.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
The reason the entire team isn't Trick Room oriented is the fact that the move only lasts for five turns.. I've got plans for at least a few of the pokemon that could use it against me, though Snorlax will be a problem no matter what I try.... I just have to play right.

As I see more pokemon using it against me, I'll adapt the team.. as is, only Ninjask is truly hurt by trick room, while PoryZ and Tentacruel can be replaced with more fitting team members if need be.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I agree with Ruko. If your Trick Room does go down the drain and you're left without it, if you can't fight back effectively without it you're very likely screwed. It's similar to most Rain and Sandstorm teams carrying Pokemon that don't benefit a whole lot from either - it allows for better balance in the team (although admittedly, cramming a group of Steel-types into a Rain team does give them some benefit - enough of that though.)

Moving on, I'd give Pory-Z the Life Orb since you already have one Choice Item user in the team, and having two is pushing it a bit. Otherwise it's OK. I'd stick with Leftovers on Dusknoir since he really doesn't need a Speed lowering item - the guy is slow as hell anyway, and Hariyama would probably be better off with the quick, one-shot boost from Sitrus Berry anyway.

A (somewhat risky) option for Tentacruel would be to ditch STAB altogether and opt for Ice Beam over Surf in the last slot. Although you have no STAB, you get much better coverage overall, and it also frees up Toxic in the third slot for you - worth taking into consideration.