• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Trainer Fanfictions and Role Plays: Advice and Critique (Stories for Critique Only)

Hello, there. I am surprisingly one of the more popular Charms authors, and I am writing a Trainer Story right now. A Trainer Story is where you take your Trainer OC and their friends and set them off in the Pokemon World. Now, to keep this post small, new spoilers will be added for advice on the fanfic, so keep a look out for when I add a new one. OC mentions are in this a bunch, so Role Play advice for your OC is here as well.

1. Use an OC you think would work for the story. Don't make the same thing over and over, or else it gets boring. Display your best areas of writing and what you see as a Trainer Story.
2. Let them have travel companions. Travel buddies are self-explanatory, but shake things up. Let others request OC's for your story, or make new OC's yourself.
A cliche is something in a story or movie that is cool at first, but is so overused that it becomes unoriginal and shows a lack of creativity in your story or movie. A simple way to avoid being called out for this is to use it once or twice throughout your story at maximum. This prevents you from resorting to that plot and you'll become more creative.
1. The oh-crud-I-overslept-and-I-don't-get-a-starter-so-get-a-really-cool-Pokemon cliche.
2. The this-Pokemon-is-injured-let-me-take-care-of-it-and-catch-it-because-Wynaut cliche
3. And the Mary Sue cliche, where virtually your character is invincible, uncontrollably powerful and attractive, and they are the center of the universe. More about that later.
This horrifying abomination known as Mary Sue or Gary Stu is something that is virtually perfect. Honestly, a 10-year-old catching a legendary Pokemon, capable of murder is totally plausible (not really). Becoming the downfall of an evil alliance is possible, but really hard. Nonetheless, these characters are perfect, and the laws of the universe bend to revolve around them. As stated in the Role Play rules, a seasoned Trainer is fine, but a Rocket executive-cat hybrid with 200+ Pokemon with a backstory involving a contract with unholy Arceus clones is unacceptable.
My good friend Lunar Emperor can delve better into this, but this is the hardest part of every Trainer Story. The Pokemon. See, everybody picks Charizard, their favorite starter, and whatever Eeveelution is in the top 1 for the 33 seconds they're in that position. Don't do that, unless your OC is pretty much you. Pick Pokemon that reflect their personality, heritage and goals. Lunar Emperor used his OC, Daniel, to name an example of my last sentence. Here is the link to his story regarding this topic. https://pokecharms.com/works/choosing-pokemon-for-your-character.30337/
Backstories are simple, yet powerful forces in stories that affect your character. First, you start with their home. Where they live affects their personal likes and dislikes, and it affects how they do life. Next, their parents. What do their parents do for a living? Are they popular battlers or Performers? If so, your OC may feel pressured to surpass their parents by peers, and they can get challenged a bunch by others to see if they hold their parental figure's legacy. Next, have an event that they remember. Whether it be tragic or happy, make sure it's simple, like "Their maternal figure died" or "They loved battles as a kid." Keep it simple, and make sure that these three things are noted when making the OC.
1. I personally found it helpful to have your OC travel in the region of your first game. Everything becomes ingrained in your head, and you can add other destinations and a lot more if you have the game somewhat memorized.
2. Never have more than 3 travel companions. It clutters your head and you get your story mixed up. If you have a lot of companions as a meeting type deal in one chapter, that's fine. But don't have way too many people to keep up with.
3. Have your character travel through about 4 regions throughout the story so that they can't claim to have traveled the entire world. While I'm at it, if they want to travel the world, let them do that because fulfilling goals is good in a story.
4. About goals, if your character wins a League or Grand Festival or Master Class, have them only win one of those competitions so that they aren't too overpowered. Of course, they have to be strong enough to get that way.

Alright, so now that I have given you advice, I will have a critique list for Trainer Stories. Your number is determined by when you request you fanfiction to be critiqued.

Last edited: