• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Trainer Card Maker Bugs/Glitches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit by Teapot: This thread related to TCM3, which ran on a completely different codebase to the current Trainer Card Maker. If you have a problem with the TCM, please post it in the forum that contains this topic!

List of known bugs/glitches that I was able to create:

Trainer name field is not sanitized for specific JavaScript inclusions: Example: '; die would break the card, however the data is still displayed.

Trainer name field does not accept ' characters without backslashing them (three times) yet the game allows such characters. Example: A'mione would return A\\\'mione.

Trainer name field doesn't permit special characters such as ō and the like, which can cause problems when using dealing international cards.

Selecting a Pokemon's gender before selecting their image does not work and can create problems

You can make impossible cards, such as ones with no name, no pokemon, no friend code.

The trainer card maker is still an amazing piece of work, do not take this thread as criticism, but rather things that I would think if fixed would make it more user friendly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also found another bug, don't know if this happens to you but when you try and change the Characters Name Colour (e.g. White) it will change the Friend Code instead and yes I am clicking on the colour thing beside the name.

Re: Welcome Back!

The site looks cooler than ever, but sadly the TMC doesn't work for me :'( but it seems to work for everyone else which is a good thing for them. Whenever I try to pick a different character, background, or choose a pokemon the card disappears and all I see is a little white box with a red x. Do I have to download something in order to make it work? Please reply.

Moose said:
List of known bugs/glitches that I was able to create:

Trainer name field is not sanitized for specific JavaScript inclusions: Example: '; die would break the card, however the data is still displayed.

Trainer name field does not accept ' characters without backslashing them (three times) yet the game allows such characters. Example: A'mione would return A\\\'mione.

Trainer name field doesn't permit special characters such as ō and the like, which can cause problems when using dealing international cards.

Selecting a Pokemon's gender before selecting their image does not work and can create problems

You can make impossible cards, such as ones with no name, no pokemon, no friend code.

The trainer card maker is still an amazing piece of work, do not take this thread as criticism, but rather things that I would think if fixed would make it more user friendly.

I know this prob not a bug but everytime i try change something on my trainer card the pic turns into a red X with a lil box around it,i just wonder if you knoq the answer if it could be that i don't have right java or maybe there another problem?

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
PokeGirlPraure said:
Some pictures of Pokemon change their pallet once put on the card, even if it's shown normally once selecting :/
This is because of the compression used on the image - basically, this is the best quality we can reasonably use on the card.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Re: Welcome Back!

lemon87 said:
The site looks cooler than ever, but sadly the TMC doesn't work for me :'( but it seems to work for everyone else which is a good thing for them. Whenever I try to pick a different character, background, or choose a pokemon the card disappears and all I see is a little white box with a red x. Do I have to download something in order to make it work? Please reply.

There are only one of two reasons this would happen:

1) Your browser/internet connection is not loading the image for whatever reason.

2) The script creating the image has encountered an error and isn't creating the image correctly.

There shouldn't be many options for the second reason to occur, and unfortunately, without any more specific information about how it occurred for you, I can't help.

PokeGirlPraure said:
Some pictures of Pokemon change their pallet once put on the card, even if it's shown normally once selecting :/

I explained the reason for this in a recent post in the background submission topic. Essentially, because of the image format we have to use for the system to be able to make transparent images, we're limited to 255 individual colours - which can be quite easily filled up by complicated backgrounds, Pokemon and trainers. Changing the background or the trainer may be enough to combat the issue on a per-case basis, but the fact is that there's no way around this in the system. It's a flaw of the tools we've got available and we can only make do.

eward990 said:
I also found another bug, don't know if this happens to you but when you try and change the Characters Name Colour (e.g. White) it will change the Friend Code instead and yes I am clicking on the colour thing beside the name.

Sorry, but I can't replicate this at all. It's performing completely normally for me. I will need more information about what browser you're using etc to be able to look into this any further.

All the other issues will be looked into immediately - expect an update very soon.

The Trainer Card Maker doesn't work period. I can run my mouse over the options and get highlighted items but, when I click on something, nothing happens. Absolutely nothing. I can't even move on from Anime Background. Hope this is a simple fix because I've been waiting for this to come back online ever since you guys took it off.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
pokedemon said:
The Trainer Card Maker doesn't work period. I can run my mouse over the options and get highlighted items but, when I click on something, nothing happens. Absolutely nothing. I can't even move on from Anime Background. Hope this is a simple fix because I've been waiting for this to come back online ever since you guys took it off.

Turn on Javascript.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Then I'll need more information about your browser, OS and exactly what does and doesn't happen.

When you navigate over the menu at the top, with the Pokeballs, do the Pokeballs open? If not, that's a javascript issue on your end one way or another.

I'm running the latest Mozilla Firefox on both Windows Vista and Windows 7, Java has been updated and is running on both. When I'm on the home page and news page, the pokeballs open when scrolled over, other pages, they don't. On the Trainer Card Maker, when I scroll over anything that I can select dealing with the Trainer Card Maker options, I get a blue outline and the pointing hand for the pointer and with the buttons that allows you to move from picking background to going to selecting your pokemon or trainer, they become highlighted and have the pointing hand but nothing happens when I click on them.

I'm not sure what else I can do with Java. I've enabled and updated it.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Not Java; Javascript. In Options, go to "Content" and make sure the option to enable Javascript is ticked.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Try also disabling whatever adblock software you may be using. It sounds an awful lot like there's a javascript error affecting you on only certain pages - but there's no way it could be coming from the site's own code, or it'd be happening to more people.

If that doesn't work, try installing Firebug and sending me a screenshot of any errors it picks up.

Re: What more would you like from Pokecharms.com?

Oh! I'd better mention: there's a background that needs to be fixed on the trainer card maker. It's in the category "Pokemon Games"-- the one with suicune on it. It's pretty messed up and won't even let you add pokemon. So that should probably be improved. ^_^;

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
While I already PMed Alex about this, I'll add the glitch I've found here as well.

When selecting your Pokemon: if at any point you hit "Enter" within the text field, your card will be erased and you'll be taken right back to step 1.

I've tested this on both Chrome and Firefox and on two different PCs and the problem still exists. This doesn't happen during the "Trainer Details" step, only when writing within the Pokemon name field.

Hey, guys! Here's a bug that no one's thought about: THE TRAINER CARD MAKER ISN'T FUCKING WORKING.
I can get to the page, but when I try and click on anything--change trainer, insert pokémon, insert friend code--nothing happens. I use an i-Mac, so can that be part of the problem? I doubt it is, but I could really use some feedback.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Really no need for that language now was there? -_-

Just tested and I have the same problem. I'm on a Mac, but I can't see that being a problem. We shall see. Bit of patience and hopefully it'll be up and running shortly now we know the problem exists. Thanks for reporting the issue~

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It's working for me, but it's running incredibly slowly. I need to wait a good minute or two before trying to do something on it. For the record, I'm using Firefox on Windows 7 Home Premium.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Working fine and fast for me now. Just made a new card to test it :up:

Trainer Card Maker Help

Soo...

I can't access the trainer card maker no matter what I do. It brings it up, but I can't do anything. I can't click backgrounds, I can't switch to change my trainer, nothing; and I have no idea what the problem is.

I've tried restarting my computer, clearing my cache, everything! So im thinking it might be the site itself? I'm not sure...

By the way, if this is in the wrong forum, im terribly sorry. I just wasn't very sure where to put it...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I merged your post with this topic.

My best advice for now is to try using the TCM at a different time of day. If it's still not working, let us know. Also share which browser and operating system that you're using. It might help solve your particular issue.

Well, I usually use IE. But I even tried using my Google Chrome, Firefox... And still nothing. And Yes, I also do have Java enabled...

But ill check with a certain time of day. Is there any idea on what time I should try??

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
CherieBits said:
But ill check with a certain time of day. Is there any idea on what time I should try??

Personally, no. We just noticed with someone else recently that the TCM started working again after an or so hour. I'd assume it was due to website traffic but I'm not fully sure.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
CherieBits said:
And Yes, I also do have Java enabled...
Javascript. :) There is an important distinction as they're completely different technologies, despite the confusingly similar name. Javascript will be in your browser settings. I assume it's working, as you've tried all three browsers, but it might be an idea to check.

The other thing that's worth trying is making sure you're going to:

[tt]http://www.pokecharms.com/trainercards/[/tt]

instead of:

[tt]http://pokecharms.com/trainercards/[/tt]. There is a known bug where it only works with the www attached.

Whenever I type in a pokemon name, it usually brings up the name and I can click on it and it will take me to that pokemon, it's not doing that anymore.

When you enter the name, don't actually hit enter. Wait for the name to show up underneath, and click it. Actually hitting enter, at least for me, brought me back to the main TCM page.

I'm on my laptop, I have Javascript enabled, and it still won't make any names appear, even if I wait for like ten seconds. And I've done this on Firefox AND Google Chrome.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Are you using [tt]http://www.pokecharms.com/trainercards/[/tt] instead of [tt]http://pokecharms.com/trainercards/[/tt]? If not, that's why that won't work.

Also, try the other suggestions in this thread - you never know.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Fabulous, I like it when we can make things work :D Not a problem! ^^

On the card with Typhlosion in the background, it raises the trainer so the head is not being shown. What is happening?
Plus Typhlosion is my favorite Pokemon. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.