• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Torrential Flow

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Mono-Water team this time :D

Wailord @ Choice Scarf
Hasty/Naive nature
Water Veil
EVs: 28 Attack, 252 Special attack, 228 speed.
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Selfdestruct [?] / Hidden Power Electric

According to smogon, Wailord can get selfdestruct somehow... I'm assuming third gen. This set is pretty much ripped from smogon for that matter, I couldn't think of anything better and I wanted scarfed Water Spout for my anti-lead XD [went ahead and took their EVs too]
Water Spout - This will hit amazingly hard.. 225 Power after STAB, 337 in the rain, both provided my health is full. With Choice Scarf, I shouldn't have any trouble hitting off full-power at least once.
Hydro Pump - Set power at the cost of accuracy... and pretty well because nothing else fits on this set. I might drop it for HP Electric instead of Selfdestruct if I find myself never using it.
Ice Beam - Coverage and anti-dragon lead. Choice Scarf should put me ahead of any non-scarfed dragons I run into.
Selfdestruct - While not as powerful as Explosion, selfdestruct still boasts a power of 200 in case I decide to put an end to Wailord.
Hidden Power Electric - Would give me coverage of everything except Lanturn, combined with water and ice.

Relicanth @ Damp Rock / Life Orb / Leftovers
Adamant Nature
Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed
- Rain Dance
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Always a favorite of mine. STAB Head Smash still hurts. A lot.
Rain Dance - Sets up my speed above Electrode, who could otherwise destroy me. Given this is a water team, Rain Dance far outshines Rock Polish even for being temporary. So long as I send in against a physical threat, I'll be fine for the setup
Head Smash - 150 power + STAB = 225, nothing else needs to be said.
Waterfall - Boosted to a respectable 180 power after rain, and more accurate than Head Smash. Also boasts a flinch chance if I know neither will KO.
Earthquake - Only for SE coverage, otherwise it's outshined by the above two attacks. Only a minor note, but it can save me from being paralyzed by static.

Starmie @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Offset sweeper set. I love trick.
First three attacks - All are for coverage, and can take advantage of the Choice Specs before I trick them, should I choose to.
Trick allows for a permanant Encore and gives the oppurtunity to completely screw with my opponent's held items selection

Kingdra @ White Herb / Life Orb [Leftovers if Dragon Dance]
Brave Nature
Swift Swim ability
EVs: Heavily mixed
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Draco Meteor
- Rain Dance / Dragon Dance

Coverage only shy of Empoleon and a lot of power to boot. Has enough speed to cancel the nature entirely, so it's not a hinderance like it might seem at first.
Waterfall - 180 Power in the rain with a flinch chance even. Primary attack until something resistant shows up
Outrage - 180 Power with or without rain, probably the finale attack once I know I'm about to be KO'd
Draco Meteor - Two-shot with the held item and STAB to boost itself to a massive 210 power.
Rain Dance - Turbo speed and boost waterfall in one swift move
Dragon Dance - Will give a more permanent speed boost and will boost Outrage in addition to Waterfall. I'd probably use this with leftovers to combine with Kingdra's surprising ability to take hits.

Blastoise @ Zoom Lens
Quiet Nature
Torrent ability [I think that's what it was anyway]
EVs: Mixed, mostly between attacks some into defenses/HP
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Rollout
- Yawn

If the rumor that Zoom Lens actually increases accuracy by 20% is true... This set has it made.
Hydro Pump - 96% accuracy after the lens. Basic STAB, and very powerful in the rain
Focus Blast - 84% accuracy after the lens. Powerful coverage on a lot of types
Rollout - 100% accuracy after lens. Wildcard attack that [hopefully] nobody will expect. To be used in conjunction with Yawn for a free turn.
Yawn - 100% accuracy period. Use to ensure either sleep or switch. If my opponent sticks in and decides to be put to sleep, I get at least two free turns on Rollout right there. Even if they switch and aren't put to sleep, one free turn is probably enough to frighten unless they switched to something with subs or that is resistant to Rollout.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Careful Nature
Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 Defense, 252 Speed
- Screech
- Confuse Ray
- Poison Jab
- Waterfall

Physical Tentacruel to throw off anyone I'm facing. Screech's ability to double confusion damage as well will probably mean a lot of switches. Poison Jab over toxic since a lot of grass types are part poison, and this Tentacruel was supposed to be anti-grass annoyer for the most part. [Ice beam was dropped for waterfall's physical damage]
I kind of covered all of the attacks in the generic description above.. so I don't think I need to bother individually breaking it down XD

This team was thrown together between midnight and 2 AM, so there are probably significant holes in it... too tired to write a summary here at the moment, so I'm just going to go to bed now. XD

Ruko, I don't see any holes in it, but I'm not the best so yeah =p

Answering the Selfdestruct question:
According to Bulbapedia, Wailord gets Selfdestruct by move tutor on Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness apparently.

That's all I can suggest, really. >>

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
First thing of note is that you have three candidates for Rapid Spin and no-one actually carrying the move. Starmie, Blastoise or Tentacruel may want to drop a move to make space for it, especially since with two Pokemon carrying Choice items, you may be switching around a bit.

I'd go with Damp Rock for Relicanth - mono-Water begs for some rain, and people probably won't carry Thunder just for Rain Dance (although my friend's Jolteon does - he has a Rain Dancer though.)

Not much more to say than that really - this, notably, is the first time I've ever seen Wailord try to do something other than be fat, ugly, and dead shortly afterwards.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Chances are I'll shove rapid spin onto Starmie or Blastoise, or even just replace Blastoise altogether... I sort of wanted to squeeze my anti-electric lure mantine into this, but that wouldn't help with any part of my rapid spin issues XD

I just couldn't find the proper place for the move, so I figured I'd experiment and see what I used the least.

The only thing I can see wrong is that if Relicanth holds a Life Orb and uses Head Smash without the Rock Head ability, then it will take high damage from recoil. Other than that, I'd agree with the above comments.

Seconding the "Relicanth sans Rock Head" note, although obviously if you can get a rain dance up and abuse it well, Swift Swim is very very tempting.

I've seen a few Gigatitan videos featuring a Wailord abusing Water Spout to good effect, but I'd question the combo of a Choice item and self-destruct/explosion on any pokemon. Not that it's impossible or a bad idea, just that I'd give it some careful thought/testing first.

Can't think of anything else on the rest.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Rock Polish / Rock Head is the other combo Relicanth can do, but Rain Dance / Swift Swim works much better for this team...

Relicanth has base 130 defense and base 100 HP, so it can take a physical hit very well, as well as building recoil damage. Sometimes taking a toll on one's self is worth the recoil if you take out three pokemon in the process XP
But I went with Damp Rock in the end.

As an after-test synopsis of this team: It's horrible.
Wailord isn't fast enough to outspeed any of the leads I face, even after the scarf... there's just nobody who leads with slower pokemon anymore, and when people choose fast pokemon, they go for base 120-130 or carry their own choice scarf. Sorry KoL, I couldn't do Wailord any more justice than others could :p
Relicanth and Kingdra do fine, but I knew they would - they were included from past experiences with them.
Blastoise never lived long enough for Rollout, but did good on the other side of things
Starmie did well, but not better than any other trick+choice pokemon really would have. [Did manage to swap around on a choice scarf Tyranitar once though XP]
Tentacruel relies too much on set up, and can't take hits well enough unless I drop the speed training. Good offset support overall, but didn't work well with this team.