• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Three Pokemon team

Right now I have the following (only posting basic stats, more info upon request)

Weavile level 60: Ice Punch, Brick Break, Night Slash, Swords Dance
Blaziken level 60: Fire Punch, Brave Bird, Rock Slide, Sky Uppercut
Dodrio level 60: Drill Peck, Tri Attack, Torment, Roost.

I'm not really looking for competition team building, just general 'I wanna have fun with just these three' moveset help. I've already given them good EVs for what they have (which is mostly ATK and SPD, or DEF in Blaziken's case) and I just need some ideas of if I should swap out a move here or there to get better type coverage.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
OK, here's how it is:

- Weavile's standard really, consider Ice Shard and Pursuit as options too, but what you have is fine. Don't get too reckless with Swords Dance though, as Weavile can easily be KO'd on its Swords Dance turn if up against something that hits reasonably hard.

- Blaziken does NOT want Defense training, ever. Instead, Blaziken should try focusing on using its mixed, wall-breaking abilities to open holes in the opponent's team. As such, Fire Blast or Overheat is a better Fire-type attack to have since it severely wounds any Pokemon who have high Defense, but low Sp.Defense. On the other end of the spectrum, your Sky Uppercut works well to wipe out Pokemon with high Sp.Defense but poor Defense. SuperPower would work better than Sky Uppercut for this, but the Attack/Defense drop it comes with makes it a bit less reliable. Blaziken unfortunately lacks Grass Knot, with only SolarBeam available for Water-types (don't do it) so the third attack would be personal preference/filler here, although I'd give the fourth slot to Vacuum Wave on the grounds that Blaziken's mediocre Speed could do with a priority move to back it up. A blend of Attack, Sp.Attack and Speed EVs would work best here.

- Dodrio was fearsome in Gen III, and while he's not quite as dangerous now as he used to be he can still cause a great deal of damage. Due to Dodrio's poor defenses and Sp.Attack though, Torment, Tri Attack and to a lesser extent Roost aren't too viable as move options. However, this set could aid you:

Dodrio @ Focus Sash
Adamant/Jolly
Early Bird

- Drill Peck
- Flail
- Endeavor
- Pursuit/Steel Wing/Taunt

Simple really - drop your HP to 1 by getting clobbered with the Sash to protect you, then Flail anything that's frail and Endeavor anything that has high defenses and/or resists Flail. Drill Peck works on Ghosts as does Pursuit, while Steel Wing hits Rock-types (although you're probably better off Endeavor-ing most Rock-types) and Taunt gets a mention to further fluster a wall that switches in if you're against a human opponent. Fun stuff, but Flail requires a re-breed - Return works fine in its place otherwise, but it won't have anywhere near the same amount of power as Flail would at 1 HP (Return does just over half Flail's damage here.)

As requested, I'm gonna post all the stats as they stand currently.

Weavile @ Life Orb (I don't have Choice Specs at the moment)
Quirky Nature
ATK: 172
DEF: 102
Sp ATK: 90
Sp DEF: 135
SPD: 186

Dodrio @ Sharp Beak
Hardy Nature
ATK: 161
DEF: 97
SP ATK: 120
Sp Def: 97
SPD: 142

Blaziken @ Wide Lens
Modest Nature
ATK: 160
DEF: 107
Sp ATK: 185
Sp Def: 102
Spd: 124

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
You certainly don't want Choice Specs or any Choice item at all if you're running Swords Dance.

Your natures are also poor. Both Weavile and Dodrio have natures that do nothing, and Blaziken's nature raises its Sp.Attack (which is good) but drops its Attack (which is very, very bad.)

Well, I did say at the beginning that this wasn't for anything serious. Just having fun online and playing with them a bit. That's about it. x3 But eh, I'll take a look into giving them some EV training. I have plenty of the berries to negate the training. :p

For in-game these guys don't look bad at all, where fast sweepers like these guys are great.

Weavile - Looks great! Definently use a Focus Sash on him.
Blaziken - Gerudo Ganon is over course right that Modest would mean your Special Attacks would be better, so you may want to switch his moves over to that to make him more effective. Otherwise, BraveBird is gives another powerful STAB move that you can sweep with.
Dodrio - Although this set looks interesting, You could try a more direct approach (like your Weavile) with Drill Peck, Return (assuming your Dodrio really likes you), and more moves like Steel Wing, Pursuit or Quick Attack. I also like to use Acupressure for the fun of it, although that's definently something you'd want to try in-game only. It's Attack is obviously much higher than it's Special Attack, so you'd want to use that much more.

Blaziken - Gerudo Ganon is over course right that Modest would mean your Special Attacks would be better, so you may want to switch his moves over to that to make him more effective. Otherwise, BraveBird is gives another powerful STAB move that you can sweep with.

Just as a little note, Luigi. Blaziken is a Fire/Fighting type, so it doesn't get STAB from Brave Bird, a Flying type attack.

For in-game these guys don't look bad at all, where fast sweepers like these guys are great.

Weavile - Looks great! Definently use a Focus Sash on him.
Dodrio - Although this set looks interesting, You could try a more direct approach (like your Weavile) with Drill Peck, Return (assuming your Dodrio really likes you), and more moves like Steel Wing, Pursuit or Quick Attack. I also like to use Acupressure for the fun of it, although that's definently something you'd want to try in-game only. It's Attack is obviously much higher than it's Special Attack, so you'd want to use that much more.

See, this was the kinda thing I wanted. I was planning on raising them all to level 75 and taking on the powered up Elite Four, but most folks seemed to assume I wanted competitive play. x3

The main reason to have a team is for competitive. Once you beat the "powered up" Elite Four, there's no real point to have a team unless it's for competitive.

[quote author=Luigi777 link=topic=7311.msg132564#msg132564 date=1266643400]

Just as a little note, Luigi. Blaziken is a Fire/Fighting type, so it doesn't get STAB from Brave Bird, a Flying type attack.
[/quote]

*Gibbsslaps self* Of course, my bad.

HydraBlisk - There's always the Battle Tower/Battle Area. ALthough you're right, after that, competitive is pretty much it (and a lot more interesting too).

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Most of the Battle Frontier facilities require a competitive team anyway, except Battle Factory for obvious reasons.