• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Thoughts on the Deoxys situation

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Check the main site if you don't know what I mean. This topic seems to be generating a lot of heat.

Anyways, considering that most of us live nowhere near the three cities giving out the Aurora tickets, what do you think of all this?

Personally, I'm not very upset. Should I be? I mean, when's the last time Canada had a big event like that? We've probably only had one or two tops, both in places I could never have reached due to money/time issues.
So, yeah, what Nintendo's doing is unfair and only a sliver of the Pokemon community will get the tickets, but it's not like this is new for us. It has been happening ever since Red/Blue with Mew (ie. you could only get it through American-only contests/events). Besides, who says the tickets won't be released later on in a different way? I seriously doubt this'll be the only chance to get it.

Meh. Just my two cents. Guys?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
They'll never be released here. Not in any form at all. So, i'll be cheating. It is unfair. But it makes sense. They go to where it will be most popular, and get most money.

Hopefully with DS and Online WiFi, Gen 4 may be able to avoid this hassle and give out these Legendary Pokemon through the magic of the internet. Tis only a dream, but at least it holds some realism.

Damn Nintendo's New Jersey-hating heart. Now I can't get Deoxys. What Nintendo is doing is complete and utter bull****. Seeing as how I live in New Jersey, I want Nintendo to tell me how I can get to either Atlanta, Minneapolis, or Seattle. Go ahead, Nintendo. Tell me. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm sure the tickets will be given out in Nintendo Power magazines, and if they are, then I've got nothing to worry about. If not...I have an Action Replay, but I'd rather not cheat to get Pokémon I couldn't otherwise get. As of LeafGreen, I am cheat-free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Ditto.

Hehehe. Ironically, also a very good example of me using an Action Replay to get Pokemon i couldn't get otherwise.

QuagsireQing said:
I'm sure the tickets will be given out in Nintendo Power magazines

That's another thing. Nintendo, have you ever considered the people who can't get issues of Nintendo Power? Huh? How do they get the Aurora Ticket? Huh? Huh?!

Oh, Gary, I censored it myself. Can I uncensor it? :twisted:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
We don't censor the moderate swearing because we believe that our members would be mature to use it in a moderated sense. I'll probably put a censor on at least one word. (It begins with C) but the rest, even the F-word, will be left uncensored.

Until some stupid idiot ruins it for you all that is.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Seraphina said:
QuagsireQing said:
I'm sure the tickets will be given out in Nintendo Power magazines

That's another thing. Nintendo, have you ever considered the people who can't get issues of Nintendo Power? Huh? How do they get the Aurora Ticket? Huh? Huh?!

Are you not American, though? If you are you should be able to get an NP issue, even if it must be mail ordered.

If you're not, though, I know how you feel, but like I said - we couldn't get Mew either. This stuff has been happening for so long that it only seems natural for NOA to screw us over. Sad, but true. :?

I guess it goes back to the age old question: To have secret Legendaries, or not to have secret Legendaries? If they weren't secret everyone would have them, but it would cut down dramatically on their importance. They'd lose all of their specialness.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I'm all for special legendaries. It gives the games an extra touch.

I'd just prefer it if they bothered to get the giving away of these legendaries correct.

Here's hoping for some WiFi obtaining with Gen 4. ^^

So why do most special legendaries suck so much? It makes the reward so much more meh.

By the way, you think your'e chances are bad (Looks at location) AND im smalltown :(

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Meangreen said:
So why do most special legendaries suck so much? It makes the reward so much more meh.

By the way, you think your'e chances are bad (Looks at location) AND im smalltown :(

You don't think Mew or Deoxys would be worth having? I for one do ;)

I can't say much for the other two because I've never trained my Jirachi nor even got a Celebi. Either way, I always liked Celebi to an extent... Even Jirachi has grown on me. Blame the movies :)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Celebi's good as a supporter. It's not a great offensive attacker but it's more than enough to carry the rest of your team if you need it.

Jirachi's ok... it's Steel type gives it great defense whilst it's Psychic abilities give it great power too.

Mind you, i wouldn't ever train Legendaries for anything other than to simply train them. It's the cheapest thing in the world to actually use them in real battles, that includes against your friend and against Colosseum.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
*Cough*Battlemasterthingyearlierintheyearwherewinnerhadjirachikyogremetagrossandrayquazza*Cough*

I really need some cough medicine...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
QuagsireQing said:
Using "legendaries" isn't cheap at all. They're just other Pokémon as far as I care.

I know we don't agree on this argument, but it's no lie that it takes A LOT less skill to win a serious battle with a team of Legendaries verses common Pokemon. You basically just need to know the type-chart and have a few decent moves, not much strategy. That's why I consider them cheap. If anyone can win, even unexperience players, the games are failing to achieve one of their major goals. Use them for fun all you like - might as well train them to the best they can be - but don't get be surprised when I say "I want a real battle, so no Legendaries"

And the reason I'd vote against their usage in a tournament?

Player one: Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza
Player two: Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh
And so on...

You don't think that would happen? Only players against Legendaries wouldn't use them. Any newbie would be all for it. That's exactly how most of my high school battles were fought, too, and they all sucked...

Btw - I do understand that the lesser ones like Suicune and Moltres aren't much stronger than the average Poke so I'd usually let them slide, but if someone's going around training all three Legendary Beasts... uh-uh. They can be more creative than that.

Meh... this debate has been argued so many times I'm getting sick of it :?

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Fact: My Yellow Charizard beat the shiznay out of a Zapdos. Back in the days when i could actually battle real-live people who had real-live trained Pokemon. ^^

I'm sure i could easily mimic the victory today if i had the chance too. Especially since my Trogdor kicks my Yellow Charizard's arse.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I did actually spend a good few seconds considering plane tickets to Seattle, but £450 for one pokemon is more than even "more money than sense" girl would be willing to spend :shock: (£20 for Jirachi, ok. £450 for anyone, not ok.)

I'm assuming that after this Saturday, Aurora Tickets will start turning up on eBay the same way that Eon Tickets did. I expect I'll "have" to invest in an e-reader just for that...

baratron

Staff member
Heh. I should point out that I don't actually have much money - I just have very little sense :D.

My friend has gone to Tokyo for a conference and is under strict instructions to go to the Pokemon Center while he's there. He is not really into video games at all, and was somewhat scared by the email I sent him detailing all my favourite Pokemon, with links to pictures of them. I also listed all the (mostly rhythm action) games I want, along with how much I'm prepared to spend for any of them. When he gets back in 2 weeks time, I'm going to be one of: a) broke but happy, b) broke but still not happy, c) flush with cash and clutching a t-shirt with the slogan "My friend went to the Pokemon Center and all I got was this lousy t-shirt".

Well, good luck, and hope it's option A.

Meh. Now that I can't get the Aurora Ticket through PRA, I can always scrounge off of Ricky. Who gets Nintendo Power. :p

Or if they do it like last time, when they had the Eon Ticket in Toys 'R Us, I'll scrounge off of them.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Whoo... The way to obtain Deoxys is lengthy o.o

http://www.pokemon.com/deoxys/ *Need flash to view it*

On second thought, it just looks lengthy. It's actually only a few steps ;p

For anyone who doesn't feel like checking the link, you unlock the Mystery Gift option by going to any PokeMart, reading the questionaire on the desk, and entering the words "Link Together With All". If you've done it correctly the shop keeper will react and the game will tell you that after you save you'll be able to Mystery Gift. Another fun thing for the wireless adaptor ^^

baratron

Staff member
Just in case you don't already know, according to several sites, the Aurora Ticket is NOT an actual piece of paper ticket, or even an e-reader ticket. It's a download that is put on your cartridge at the Nintendo Event. That's why you have to attend with your game cartridge. And it's the only opportunity you have to get it - unless a cartridge with the download on is sold :/

ARGH!!!

Eon Tickets on the other hand are e-reader tickets, and are fairly easy to get hold of - they come up on eBay all the time. I found one that's available to any country and another only available to the US on eBay just in a quick search.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I was starting to think that after reading more about it on the official website. Crappy as heck. As much as I resent them, it looks like I'll be resorting to an Action Replay afterall :?