• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Will to Go On

Who is your favorite character in TWTGO?

• Will

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lucian

• Eusine

• Aaron

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Karen

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • The Strange Boy

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Will

• Lucian

• Eusine

• Aaron

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Karen

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • The Strange Boy

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
Had to make a new account to post this since my old one was deleted. :p I will leave after this but I hated to leave this unfinished.

Chapter Eighteen
Coffee Shop Conversations

Karen shivered, inching closer to Aaron as they walked to Mahogany Gym. It was definitely getting colder; it was already December—and Christmas was quickly approaching.

Christmas…

Aaron walked into the Gym alone, relying on nothing but his friends’ “good lucks” for victory.

Will and Aaron entered the local coffee shop in hopes of finding something hot to drink. There was the typical café crowd—a couple chatted happily in one corner. Two businessmen talked earnestly, immersed in conversation. A man sitting by himself stared thoughtfully into a coffee that had been long gone. Another man, this one very young, sipped his favorite coffee—one that he got every day, in fact—while typing on a laptop. Will looked curiously at the screen, but could only make out a few phrases. The words “Aspirations of an Emperor” headed the page, but the rest was blocked and Will felt it would be rude to engage the young man in conversation. Minimized on the screen was a tab that read “NSM Forums – Index”. Karen touched Will on the shoulder lightly and asked him what he wanted, breaking him from his thoughts. He and Karen bought a coffee each and sat in a booth together, the pink on their noses the only color on their faces.

“Hey…” said Will slowly. “Isn’t that…?”

Eusine was buying himself a drink at the counter. He paid the barista and turned around.

“Eusine!” said Karen, waving. “Over here!”

Eusine grinned broadly and came to their booth.

“Ah, hello, my friends!” he said happily. “Might I take a seat?”

“We insist,” said Will, and Eusine sat down next to Karen.

“So, friends,” said Eusine, “what brings you here?”

“Aaron is taking the Pokémon Gym challenge,” said Will.

“Oh, really?” said Eusine, looking mildly interested. “And you, madam, are all right with that?”

“Of course,” said Karen, puzzled. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Well…I only wondered…” said Eusine, looking as if he wished he had not spoken. “Anyway, all that matters is that we are here, no?”

“I suppose,” said Karen. “How goes the search for Suicune?”

“Ah, not so good, miss,” said Eusine, his smile fading a little. “A sighting here…a sighting there… but they do not connect, if you catch what I throw. I am hunting all over the region… and yet Suicune stays in the same place no longer than a minute—no longer, I say! It is all very confusing, but I feel that it will be worth it, miss…yes, indeed.”

“That’s good,” said Will, wanting to take part in the conversation. “At least you’re really enthusiastic about what you’re doing.”

“That I am, my friend, that I am,” said Eusine.

Suddenly the PokeGear that was clipped onto Eusine’s pocket started beeping. He jumped and pressed a button on it.

“Sorry, my friends, but I must go!” he said apologetically, racing out the door with Suicune-like speed. “Till next time, miss!”

“Bye,” said Karen, but he was already gone.

They sat drinking their coffees for a silent moment.

“He’s always nice,” said Will. “Not a mean bone in his body.”

“Not one,” agreed Karen.

They sat in silence for a little longer, then the shop door’s bell broke them from their thoughts. A couple was walking in—Oh, no, thought Will in an annoyed way. Not him again…

“What do you want, then?” asked the awkward boy with bright blue eyes and a spiral notebook at his side.

“I’ll take just a hot chocolate, please,” said Margaret of Goldenrod, her teeth chattering.

“Right…” said the Strange Boy. He walked up to the counter and said to the barista, “She’ll have a hot chocolate…and I’ll have…” He scanned the menu in a criticizing sort of way. “…I suppose I’ll have an iced cappuccino,” he said. Both the barista and Margaret looked at him incredulously.

“What?” he asked self-consciously.

“You’re having a frozen drink? In this weather?” said Margaret, looking at the Strange Boy as if he was crazy—which, Will decided, he already was.

“You know where I’m from,” said the Strange Boy, rolling his eyes. “Besides, I could never turn down an icecap.” He paid the barista—he looked slightly confused while handling the money—and they started to head towards the seating area. The Strange Boy paused at the young man who was typing on the laptop, nodded in acknowledgement and said, “Grapefruit” while smiling in that annoyingly superior way of his.

“Quick,” hissed Karen. “Put your head down and act like you don’t notice them.”

Karen herself turned away to look out the window, becoming interested in a bird Pokémon flying overhead.

“Hey, guys!” called Margaret happily. Karen groaned.

“Hi!” said Will, forcing himself to smile.

“Well, this has been nice, Will,” said Karen, a little pointedly, standing up quickly. “But Aaron’s probably finished with his Gym battle right now.”

She dragged him out of the shop, the Strange Boy looking after her in a thoughtful way.

“Ugh, that last thing I needed was to talk to him,” Karen said, rolling her eyes.

Will privately agreed, but was too nice to say so.

Aaron was just walking out of the Gym (Will marveled at the fact that he never got to see those battles) and smiled at them.

“What do you say we head west from here?” he said, and the other two agreed to go into the Ice Path.

“Soon I’ll be done with this Gym business,” said Aaron thoughtfully, “and we’ll be members of the Elite Four. Weird, huh?”

“Yeah…” said Karen. “Weird…”

Thoughts of an approaching Christmas put Karen in good spirits, and she soon forgot about the coffee shop.

Which, of course, was exactly how the Strange Boy wanted it…

Chapter Nineteen
It’s All Ice Under the Bridge

Not surprisingly, the Ice Path was cold. One really only had to look at its name to figure that out. However, none of our travelers thought that its name might actually describe exactly what it is—a path of ice.

“I think that we should try to get through here as qui-quickly as possible,” said Karen, her teeth chattering together.

“Why?” said Will. “I think that Ice Pokémon would be cool to catch.” He paused. “…Get it? Cool?”

Karen gave him a reproachful look and turned to Aaron.

“Wh-what did you do with my j-jacket?” she managed to stammer.

“I think you’re too cool for a jacket,” said Aaron dismissively. He paused. “…Get it? Cool?”

“It wasn’t funny the f-first time!” she seethed, hot with anger despite her freezing body. “Give me my jacket!”

“You don’t have one,” said Will, reading a map absently.

“Yes I do!” she screamed.

“Wait,” said Aaron slowly. “Do you mean that ugly, bright green one? Oh, I gave that to a homeless man I saw on the streets in Goldenrod.”

“WHY?” shrieked Karen.

“He looked cold,” said Aaron blankly.

“NO!” she shouted angrily. “WHY didn’t you tell ME about it, as it was MY freaking jacket!?”

“Well…” he said, frowning. “I thought you would get angry.”

“Why would I be angry!” she shouted, half laughing in a maniacal, highly frightening sort of way. “ME! Imagine that, Will! ME, angry! ME! Can you even SEE why he would think that?”

“Yes,” said Will vaguely.

Karen glared at him, then turned away to face Aaron. Remembering that she was mad at him too, she folded her arms in a way that was half to show her anger and half because she was freezing and needed to hug herself for warmth.

“It’s alright, Kare!” said Aaron brightly. “Look on the bright side!”

“There IS no bright side!” she said hotly. “We are in a freezing, dark, slimy, disgusting, CAVE! A CAVE, Aaron!”

“A cave?” said Aaron.

“YES, AARON!” she shouted, her voice echoing. “A CAVE! A large, naturally hollowed-out place in the ground, or in rock above the ground, that can be reached from the surface or from water!”

“I know what a cave is!” said Aaron, looking hurt. “You take me for some sort of idiot!” She merely looked at him angrily, and he said indignantly, “She thinks I’m stupid! STUPID, Will! Me! Stupid! Can you even SEE why she would think that?” he asked in an offended way.

“Yes,” said Will vaguely. They continued to walk…and walk…and walk… until finally…

“I see a light!” yelped Karen.

“No!” cried Aaron in despair. “No, Kare! Not now! You can’t leave me like this! DON’T GO TOWARDS THE LIGHT!”

“WILL YOU SHUT UP!” she screamed, and raced out of the cave and into Blackthorn City.

Once the other two caught up with her, she was in the middle of town. Unfortunately, it was freezing outside as well, and a small flurry of snow was showering down with great gusto.

“Come…on…” said Karen, shielding her eyes from the gently falling snow. They all trudged against the howling wind, trying to keep the snow from their eyes, when they finally arrived at the Pokémon Center.

They all went inside the Pokémon Center, and Karen collapsed on a couch. Aaron came over and sat next to her.

“Well…” she murmured defeatedly. “At least there’s one good thing about going through that horrible, horrible, cave.”

“What’s that?” said Aaron, looking down at her and smiling.

“That super annoying, arrogant kid with the blue eyes will still be back in Mahogany, meaning that there’s no way he can just pop up and give us mysterious advice and try to seem like he’s all weird and solitary…” she said bitterly.

“He is all weird and solitary,” Aaron pointed out.

“I know,” sighed Karen. “I just hate the way that he smiles. You look at him, and he smiles like he knows something that you don’t. Like he’s soooo intelligent and the rest of us are all fools. No…” she continued thoughtfully. “Not like we’re fools. More like…we’re all puppets. And he’s controlling our strings. You know?”

“I don’t know,” yawned Aaron. “Interesting theory.”

Karen sighed and sat up.

“Anyway,” she said, “we haven’t seen Lucian in a while.”

“Oh, him,” said Aaron resentfully. “I hope we never do again.”

“Mmm,” said Karen uninterestedly.

Suddenly overcome with tiredness, she yawned, leaned onto Aaron and fell asleep.

The next morning, she awoke in a bed, apparently placed there by someone. Today was the day, she realized grimly.

Aaron was going to obtain his eighth and final badge.

The three of them met in the lobby of the Pokémon Center and talked for a moment.

“Good luck,” whispered Karen as she hugged him.

Aaron didn’t say anything, but nodded importantly. He left for the Gym, isolating the other two.

They sat in silence for a little time, when suddenly in the door ran…

“Professor Elm?” said Will incredulously.

Indeed it was.

Elm was not looking good. His hair was uncombed, and he kept running his hand through it worriedly. He looked slightly out of breath.

“Karen! Will! Where is Aaron?” he said urgently. “I need to tell you something about the Pokémon Gym challenge, immediately.”

“Is this what you tried to tell me through my broken PokeGear that day?” said Karen disdainfully.

“Yes!” he said, looking distraught. “I’ve been looking all across the region for you! It seems I was always in your shadow. Everywhere I went, people had seen three kids running around, one with bright green hair. And now, I find you… But I fear it may be too late,” he finished grimly.

“What is it?” said Karen uneasily. She had a strange nauseous feeling in her stomach, like a rider on a roller coaster does just before he takes the plunge down the hill.

Elm began to pace back and forth.

“As you already know, only one of you can take the Gym challenge. This is because something happened with the Johto Elite Four.” He took a deep breath, stopped pacing with, it appeared, some effort, and turned to face them. “There are only two open spots in the Johto Elite Four. However, there is an opening. If the Gym challenge was taken, and completed successfully, that would prove strength beyond belief.” He swallowed painfully. “Anyone who completes the Gym challenge in Johto has no choice but to join the Elite Four in Sinnoh, which is far more powerful than ours here. I’m very, very sorry to have to tell you this, children.”

Karen was in an alternate reality. Everything was moving in slow motion. She heard but she didn’t quite understand. Someone, somehow, must have made a mistake. Elm must have misspoken.

“Not…Johto?” she managed to choke out.

“Not Johto,” confirmed Elm sadly.

“So Aaron will be…gone?” she said woodenly.

“I’m afraid so,” said Elm ruefully.

Karen’s vision was blurred for a second. She wasn’t crying. It was more like her eyes chose to fill with tears; she still didn’t—couldn’t—quite believe what was happening. She wiped them, ignoring the painful lump in her throat.

Elm stood there awkwardly, and after a moment just sat down in an armchair uncomfortably.

Will quietly placed Karen in an armchair of her own, where she sat blankly for a long three minutes until Aaron came back into the Pokémon Center.

“Hey, guys!” he said, grinning broadly, waving his shiny Rising Badge in the air. “Look what I…Kare, what’s wrong?” he said, noticing her and Will.

Karen’s eyes filled with the tears that weren’t tears again as she shook her head firmly. She wasn’t sure what she was saying no to, but she couldn’t quite do anything else.

Elm explained the situation quietly to Aaron, getting up from his armchair. Aaron turned pale with shock as the realization dawned on him.

He sat down on the couch near Karen’s armchair and asked Elm quietly, “How long do we have?”

“You have about three weeks,” said Elm unhappily. “The last ship to Sinnoh for six months sets sail on the first day of the new year.”

Elm must have felt slightly out of place there, because he said an awkward goodbye and left the Pokémon Center.

Aaron and Karen both got up and embraced each other tightly.

“These next three weeks,” whispered Aaron promisingly, “are going to be the best of our lives.”

Karen could still say nothing, but nodded painfully.

She didn’t have to see him to know he was telling the truth.

And Will, feeling that it would be prudent to leave them on their own, went off to bed, wondering…

Chapter Twenty

Exactly two weeks later, December twenty-third, several people across the Johto region—and two in a different one—received a small piece of paper with the following words typed:

“You are invited to come to a party tomorrow night, on Christmas Eve. It will take place in Ecruteak City, at my estate—26 Isolé Avenue. Come or do not come. It is your choice. ~SB”

Among those who received an invitation were Karen, Aaron, and Will. Karen’s read slightly different than all the others—that is, exactly the same, except it was signed “The Puppetmaster”.

Karen gritted her teeth when she saw that—partially in annoyance, and partially because she had to give him kudos for the irony.

The three agreed to go to the party the following night.

Chapter Twenty-one
At 26 Isolé Avenue

Karen, Aaron, and Will were walking around Ecruteak City, attempting to locate 26 Isolé Avenue, the address of the Strange Boy’s party. It was December 24, and gently snowing.

They arrived at Isolé Avenue and Will gave a sharp intake of breath. There was only one house—and it was standing on the piece of land which on their previous visit had been barren.

Neither Karen nor Aaron seemed to notice, but went to the front door and knocked on it twice. Almost immediately the door was opened and the Strange Boy greeted them.

“Welcome, friends,” said the Strange Boy with a wry smile. “Glad you could make it.”

“Well, that makes one of us,” said Karen with a very forced smile. “Thanks for inviting us…?” she said, and then paused. “I’m sorry, I don’t believe we ever got your name,” she pointed out.

“That is correct,” he said gravely. He led them inside without another word.

Karen glared after him.

“…Of all the unsatisfactory people…” she muttered under her breath, but followed Aaron and Will.

Inside, there was a very, large, old-fashioned room. Christmas music was playing and several people were dancing to it. Will was highly surprised to see several people that he knew. In fact… Will started to look at every person individually and found that he had met almost all of them, at some time or another, during their travels.

Bill, the young inventor of the Pokémon storage system, was talking pompously to the young boy who had been practicing Headbutt in the Ilex Forest. Near them were the irritable nurse from the Violet Pokémon Center and the old man who had talked to them about the Goldenrod Gym Leader: they were dancing together slowly and were looking as if they had never been happier. Also among the crowd were the five Kimono Girls, dancing slowly in a circle around a thin boy who was looking very bewildered. He kept trying to squeeze past one of them, but the Kimono Girls were too close together and kept advancing. Finally a tall boy, a few years older, delved into the circle and helped the boy out. Will heard the first boy stammer “Thanks, Winter,” and the second one sigh, “Don’t mention it, Jub…” and they both went to sit down with the boy from the coffee shop (Grapefruit), who had been watching the scene with some amusement. The tall boy—Winter—asked of a mischievous-looking girl, “Would you get the cards out, ETF?” ETF grinned and stuck a pencil behind her ear as she pulled out a deck of cards—and they began to play.

In the corner, the Strange Boy was joining Margaret at an old piano and they were presently playing a simple duet. Eusine was explaining about the Pokémon Suicune to Professor Elm, with much hand motion. Elm looked a little awkward; rather, he was looking at Eusine with something that was half intrigue, half caution. The small girl whom they had helped with Oran Berries to her Miltank was sitting at a small table with the attendant from the Ruins of Alph and Margaret’s five-year-old sister, Whitney. And the man from the ticket booth at the traveling circus was sitting in an armchair near the fire, gently snoring.

“Hey, guys,” said a slightly timid voice near them. They turned to see Lucian, looking a little sheepish.

“Umm, hey,” said Karen cautiously. “What are you doing here?”

“I got an invitation,” said Lucian, looking a little surprised. “And I thought I’d come…could be fun, you know…”

“I’ll bet you don’t get invited to many parties,” said Aaron flatly.

Karen looked over at him angrily. “Honestly, Aaron. It’s Christmas. Can’t we just be nice to him? This one night?”

Much to Will’s surprise, Aaron laughed loudly and grabbed Lucian in a hug.

“Just kidding, man!” he said, grinning. “Glad you could make it.”

Lucian turned bright red and stammered something, then carefully broke free. He nodded gratefully to all of them and went to sit at a small table with Cynthia and Norman. Norman looked a little more noticeable than normal, and Cynthia looked radiant in a long dress. Aaron stared at her while walking, and as a result banged his head into a pole that rose from the floor to the ceiling. Karen laughed.

The night wore on. Some of the older people had more than a bit to drink. Suddenly the Strange Boy turned the station on the radio, so quickly that Will was fairly sure no one else had seen him do it. The radio emitted a very strange tune, but very catchy. Abruptly, and all at once, everyone felt the inexplicable urge to dance to the music. Everyone leapt up from their seat and quickly seized the nearest dance partner; and without saying a word, they all began.

Aaron danced with Karen. The nurse danced with the older gentleman. Winter danced with ETF. Norman danced with Cynthia. And although there were more boys than girls at the party, everyone seemed to have a partner. At the center of everyone, the Strange Boy danced with Margaret, an elegant, complex dance, all the while looking piercingly into her eyes with a wry smile on his face.

They continued in this manner for about eight minutes, then suddenly everyone swapped partners.

Grapefruit danced with the attendant from the Ruins of Alph. Eusine danced elegantly and confidently with Karen. Bill danced with Margaret’s five-year-old sister. Elm danced with the young girl from the farm. Nobody cared.

Suddenly everyone swapped partners again.

Will danced with Karen. Aaron danced with the elderly nurse. Winter danced with each of the Kimono girls in turn. Norman danced with ETF. And the boy called Jub—although he was a good few inches shorter than her and his eye level was with her chest—was dancing rather vigorously with Cynthia, who was appearing a little flustered and kept having to push Jub back an inch or two—he kept getting closer and closer…

Eventually several people stopped dancing and sat down as the song changed to a very slow one. Will sat down on a couch, deep in thought for some time, when the Strange Boy sat down next to him. There weren’t very many people left dancing: Karen and Lucian, Aaron and the girl called ETF, and Eusine and one of the Kimono girls were among those still present. Cynthia, who had apparently been unable to escape Jub, was waltzing slowly with him, Winter and Grapefruit looking on and rolling their eyes.

“Pretty good turnout,” said the Strange Boy happily. He set down his spiral notebook on the coffee table in front of the couch.

“What are you always writing in that?” said Will suddenly. He had abruptly realized that he wanted to know very badly.

The Strange Boy hesitated. He put a hand on its cover protectively. “I don’t think I’m supposed to tell you, Will.”

“You’re not supposed to?” said Will, puzzled.

“Would you really like to know?” said the Strange Boy finally.

Will paused, then nodded.

The Strange Boy handed him the notebook resignedly and sat back. Will opened the cover. It was very full—in fact, there were only a few pages left in the notebook. He flipped to the first page. It read, “Will woke with a start. Glancing around frantically…

Will gasped.

“I knew it!” he said in awful realization. He turned to the Strange Boy and said in a hushed voice, “You’ve been writing this…the whole time?”

The Strange Boy nodded slowly.

“You’ve been controlling my whole life?” Will said in horror.

“No,” said the Strange Boy quickly. “I can’t control anything.”

“Then why?” said Will.

“This is how the best stories are written, Will,” said the Strange Boy, his eyes lighting up. “How can I know what happened in my story perfectly unless I was there myself? So I came.”

“You…came?” said Will, not fully understanding.

“Yes…” said the Strange Boy quietly. “I came. It was not that difficult. I came and I gathered facts about your life. And then…to actually meet the people I was researching…it was too much temptation. I had to approach you all…to talk to you. And I watch you all the while, taking notes on events that are happening.”

“So,” said Will slowly, “you’re going to go back to…your world…and pass this off as your own?”

The Strange Boy sighed.

“Well, I don’t know about that yet, Will… I don’t think I will. I’ll show it to others, of course—for what is an author without his audience! I really don’t know.”

“So…” said Will. “When do you have to go back?”

“I am leaving on New Years Day,” said the Strange Boy. “And, as I understand, I might run into you there.”

Will nodded. He did not quite understand this highly weird boy, but he didn’t need to.

“I think we’re going to leave now,” he told the Strange Boy.

He nodded and waved goodbye to them—Karen and Aaron were coming to join, along with everyone else who had been at the party.

“Goodbye, friends,” said the Strange Boy, seeing them out the door. “I’ll see you all next week.” He closed the door and they all walked off.

“Wait…” Karen said, pulling Will and Aaron toward her, allowing everyone else to pass. Everyone walked past them, except ETF, Winter, and Grapefruit. They were trying to wrench Jub from Cynthia’s body, but it appeared he was stuck to her with all-purpose glue. It looked like Cynthia was having trouble breathing.

Finally, they jerked him off and Cynthia took a huge breath.

“Bye!” said Jub happily, waving to her. She looked very flustered but more than a little pleased, and bent down to kiss him on the cheek.

“See you,” she said, and went to join Norman, who was folding his arms and glaring at Jub. The pair walked away, followed by the group of three who were dragging Jub, and all was silent.

Karen turned around to look at the house. It was as she expected: the house was gone.

“I thought so,” she said softly.

The land was barren once more. She and Aaron turned back around and went to the Pokémon Center. Will stayed behind. He stood there for a moment and at last saw them: the Strange Boy and Margaret were waltzing slowly, revolving on the spot, dancing to a song that no one else could hear.

Epilogue

It was New Years Day. Our favorite heroes were in the Olivine City harbor.

Will and Karen watched as Aaron set his bags down. He was leaving. It was official. Karen could procrastinate the thought no further, and she was working hard to fight back tears.

Will, too, felt a little odd as he realized that one of his best friends would be leaving the entire region.

A voice rang over the loudspeaker: “Attention, all passengers on the 1:30 ship. We will be departing for Sinnoh in approximately ten minutes. Please be on the ship in five. Thank you.”

“So,” said Karen, looking at the ground. “I guess this is goodbye.”

Aaron lifted her chin up to meet her eyes and said, “On that you’re wrong, Kare. This is ‘so long,’ not ‘goodbye.’”

“What’s the difference?” said Karen bitterly, turning away from him.

“A whole lot,” said Aaron. “It’s not like we’ll never see each other again.”

Karen knew that his words were honest, but she didn’t want to hear it right then.

“You might meet someone else,” said Karen accusingly.

Aaron laughed.

“Something tells me that no one else will have that same…spark that you do,” he said brightly.

She suddenly hugged him tightly.

“So long, then, Aaron,” she laughed miserably through her tears. “I hope you always miss my spark.”

“I already am,” he said unhappily, and they stood there in silence, Will looking away awkwardly.

“Is this really going to work out?” whispered Karen.

“I don’t think so,” sighed Aaron. “I was afraid this would come up…”

“I’m not saying I don’t want to be with you,” said Karen quickly.

“Neither am I,” assured Aaron hastily. “It’s just…”

“With you in another region…” said Karen, “…it’s not likely things are going to work very well.”

“I know,” said Aaron quietly, and let go of her carefully.

The loudspeaker voice spoke again: “Attention , all passengers on the 1:30 ship.
We will be departing for Sinnoh in five minutes. Please board the ship.”

There was a pause.

“We are talking to you, green hair.”

Aaron sighed and reluctantly picked up his bags, saluted his friends, and started toward the ship.

“Bye Aaron,” whispered Karen to herself.

“Guys!” shouted a voice behind them. “Wait up!”

Karen and Will turned around and saw, to their surprise, none other than Lucian running towards them at his top speed.

“Am I too late?” he gasped. “Is the ship gone?”

“No,” said Will. “You have time.”

“Good,” he said in relief. “Because…” he continued, drawing himself up, “…I’ve decided to join the Sinnoh Elite Four.”

Karen raised her eyebrows and said, “That’s interesting.”

“And…” he continued, hesitating, “there is something else that I want to confess.” He shut his eyes tightly, then said as quickly as he could: “Karen, I’m doing this for you. I’ve always loved you, from the first moment I laid eyes on you. And even if…if…if there’s no chance in the entire world I could ever be with you even if everyone else on the earth was dead…I have to tell you.” He opened his eyes and exhaled with relief.

Karen looked at him momentarily with shock on her face, but in a second shook herself. She leaned forward, kissed him on the cheek, and said, “Well…there might be some chance.”

Lucian broke into a wide grin, shouted, “HE WAS RIGHT!”, and bolted towards the ship just before the gates closed.

“…if everyone else on the earth was dead,” Karen said.

“Hello, friends!” called a voice once again from behind. This time it was Eusine coming to greet them.

“Hey, Eusine,” said Karen. “Are you leaving, too?”

“I could never!” laughed Eusine. “Suicune is found nowhere else in the world, you know, besides the Johto region. “I came because I heard one of my friends was leaving and I wanted to see him off.”

Will bit his tongue to keep from asking if Eusine had actually come to see if the friend leaving was “Miss Karen.”

“He’s gone,” said Karen, smiling sadly.

“That is too bad, miss,” said Eusine, shaking his head mournfully.

“Eusine,” said Will suddenly. “Look.”

The elegant Pokémon Suicune stood right in front of them, looking out over the water. Eusine’s eyes widened as it turned around, leapt towards him effortlessly, and licked his face affectionately. It then winked one of its monstrous eyes and bounded away.

Eusine stood frozen in shock for a moment, then whooped loudly and ran after it with amazing speed. Will and Karen heard him shout, “Till we meet again, my friends!”

“Let’s see,” said Karen, counting on her fingers. “That’s Aaron, Lucian, and Eusine… I think there’s really only one more person we might see today…”

And there he was.

Getting ready to board his own ship, and saying goodbye to the pretty-faced Gym Leader of Goldenrod, was the awkwardly thin, bright blue-eyed boy, with a now-full spiral-bound notebook at his side. After Margaret turned away, the Puppetmaster, the Strange Boy, turned to Karen and Will and winked. Will knew what the wink said. The Strange Boy was moving on to bigger and better things. With this story’s end came a more intense, larger story’s beginning. The Strange Boy got onto the ship going who-knows-where and turned his back to the Johto region, looking only forward.

Will watched the two ships’ retreat until they were gone, then Karen touched him lightly on the shoulder and said, “Will…let’s go home.”

They were all part of a bigger story, Will realized. All of them. But then he lay those thoughts aside and followed Karen home. He was going to live the rest of his story to the fullest—sometime in the future. For now, New Bark Town was his obligation, where his father would be waiting…

FIN