• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Underground

I come in peace, be kind ;D

Long story short, I got into 3rd Generation rather late (around 6 months after FireRed and LeafGreen were released), and I admit it was the rehash of my beloved Red version that got me back into the franchise.
Anyway I was instantly hooked and decided I wanted to try my hand at the DS games, but only after I had finished experiencing the 3rd Gen game.
Well I just bought Platinum, and I have a few questions regarding the underground.
I have the kit to get into the underground. How do I mine though?
How do I get spheres? So far all I can do is enter the place and "explore." I can't really do anything else.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,

-AZ

Much of what happens in the Underground is on the touch screen. Now I don't have Platinum yet, but I don't think it'd be much different from Pearl in how the Underground works.

When walking around, if you just gently tap the touch-screen near a wall, you might see some little sparkly stars in the wall. Walk over and interact with it. From there it's a fairly simple case of using the big mallet to find evidence of an item, then using the little pick to dig it up. I'd suggest using the stylus for that, as it's much slimmer than your finger and therefore you won't be hitting more than one square at once. You of course work against the fractures, if the wall fractures too much it collapses and anything you haven't dug up is lost.

I think that should help.
Also, I think GameFAQs has a couple of useful guides. Google 'em and such.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I have the kit to get into the underground. How do I mine though?
How do I get spheres? So far all I can do is enter the place and "explore." I can't really do anything else.

Just to add to what Tatile said, did you talk to the old guy multiple times after getting your kit? He'll give you several different tasks to do while in the underground and explain them in detail beforehand. One is how to find/dig stuff up, another is burying spheres, and another explains how you make your secret base in the Underground. It's pretty informative to do, so I suggest you give it a go ^^

Thanks for the help guys.
Just one more question.....

[quote name='Tatile]When walking around' date=' if you just gently tap the touch-screen near a wall, you might see some little sparkly stars in the wall. Walk over and interact with it. From there it's a fairly simple case of using the big mallet to find evidence of an item, then using the little pick to dig it up. I'd suggest using the stylus for that, as it's much slimmer than your finger and therefore you won't be hitting more than one square at once. You of course work against the fractures, if the wall fractures too much it collapses and anything you haven't dug up is lost.[/quote']
How do I access these instruments, like the mallet and pick? I have the kick, but I can't figure out how to access the tools once I'm in the underground.

They are part of the kit. Once you find a sparkle in the wall, go up to it and press A. You will instantly be changed to the mining screen where you have access to the mallet and pick.