• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The thread of quotes...

This is the thread where you can post any quotes you heard and liked. I'm only going to post one for now, although there are many more that I like.

"Frodo: "It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance!"

Gandalf: "Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo?
Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or evil before this is over.
The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many."

The Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkein

This is such a brilliant quote, and for me is a great argument against capital punishment (and from one of my favourite books as well!)

Please share your quotes below~

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ahh... A new quote topic. I love these things~
But for now, I'm going to be lazy and repost some stuff I'd posted in the original thread. :3

"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious... And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." ~ Walt Disney

A couple of quotes from Buffy the Vampire Slayer:

"I look around at this world you're so eager to be a part of and all I see is six billion lunatics looking for the fastest ride out. Who's not crazy? Look around. Everyone's drinking, smoking, shooting up, shooting each other, or just plain screwing their brains out 'cause they don't want 'em anymore. I'm crazy? Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts." ~ Glory

"Passion. It lies in all of us. Sleeping. Waiting. And though unwanted; unbidden, it will stir, open its jaws, and howl. It speaks to us. Guides us. Passion rules us all. And we obey. What other choice do we have? Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love, the clarity of hatred, and the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion, maybe we'd know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank. Without passion, we'd truly be dead." ~ Angelus

Finally, a conversation I adore from Angel, season 2. The episode "Epiphany":

"I feel like such an idiot."
"A lot of that going around."
"I just couldn't ... My whole life has been about being a cop. If I'm not a part of the force, it's like nothing I do means anything."
"It doesn't."
"Doesn't what?"
"Mean anything. In the greater scheme, in the big picture, nothing we do matters. There's no grand plan; no big win."
"You seem kind of chipper about that."
"Well ... I guess I kind of worked it out. If there's no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. 'Cause that's all there is. What we do. Now. Today. I fought for so long for redemption; for a reward; finally, just to beat the other guy. But I never got it."
"Now you do?"
"Not all of it. All I want to do is help. I want to help because I don't think people should suffer as they do. Because if there's no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness is the greatest thing in the world."
~ Conversation between Kate and Angel

Rereading through the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, so I'm gonna throw in a few of my favorite quotes because that's where my head is at XD

"This planet has — or rather had — a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much all of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy."

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

"You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen."

Arthur looked up. "Ford!" he said, "there's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out."

"Ford," he said, "you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."

"But that's not the point!" raged Ford "The point is that I am now a perfectly safe penguin, and my colleague here is rapidly running out of limbs!"

"For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much — the wheel, New York, wars and so on — whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man — for precisely the same reasons."

"Simple. I got very bored and depressed, so I went and plugged myself in to its external computer feed. I talked to the computer at great length and explained my view of the Universe to it," said Marvin.
"And what happened?" pressed Ford.
"It committed suicide," said Marvin and stalked off back to the Heart of Gold.

And that's about it for me because otherwise I'll just keep posting quotes xD

Chadwyck said:
"You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen."

Yessssssss.

Anyway, I think I'll spam some Portal quotes now |D
(if you haven't completed Portal then these might have some spoilers. Just warning, yo.)

"The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Companion Cube cannot speak. In the event that the Companion Cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice."

"Good news: I figured out what that thing you just incinerated did. It was a morality core they installed after I flooded the enrichment center with a deadly neurotoxin, to make me stop flooding the enrichment center with a deadly neurotoxin, so get comfortable while I warm up the neurotoxin emitters."

"That thing you burned up isn't important to me. It's the fluid catalytic cracking unit. It made shoes for orphans. Nice job breaking it, hero."

"There was even going to be a party for you. A big party that all your friends were invited to. I invited your best friend the Companion Cube. Of course, he couldn't come because you murdered him."

"Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said "Goodbye" and you were like "No way!" And then I was all "We pretended we were going to murder you"? That was great!"

"Maybe you should marry that thing since you love it so much. Do you want to marry it? WELL I WON'T LET YOU! How does that feel?"

also, can we post lyrics here~? I promise I wouldn't, like, spam a whole song, but y'know |D

On the subject of Portal (2);

'All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!' -Cave Johnson

Wheatley: 'You two are going to love this big surprise. In fact, you might say that you're both going to love it... to death. Love it until it kill– until you're dead. [chuckles] All right? I don't know whether you're picking up on what I'm saying here, but...'
GLaDOS: 'Yes, thanks. We get it. [Chell and GLaDOS enter a elevator] All right, he's not even trying to be subtle any more. Or maybe he still is, in which case; Wow, that's kind of sad.'

Torchwood;

Jack: And this is Ianto Jones. Ianto cleans up after us, gets us everywhere, on time.
Ianto: I try my best.
Jack: And he looks good in a suit.
Ianto: Careful, that's harassment, sir.

Owen: I hate the countryside. It's dirty, it's unhygienic. And what is that smell?
Gwen: That would be grass.
Owen: It's disgusting.

Owen: How'd you know that?
Ianto: I know everything! And it says so on the bottom of the screen.

Ianto: I have searched for the phrase "I shall walk the Earth and my hunger shall know no bounds," but I keep getting redirected to Weight Watchers

Yogscast;

Simon; -'Do you prefer the backdoor method?'
-'OH MY GOD, IT'S AN EVIL CULTIST!' *looks at sheep*
-IT APPEARS I HAVE DIED! I'M WRITING THIS NOTE FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE! IF YOU RECEIVE IT, I'M GOING TO HAUNT YOU, YOU SON OF A BITCH!'
*In Old Peculier's voice* -'I feel twenty year younger! That makes me eighty-seven now!'
-'Old woman, I demand your finest bacon!'

Lewis;
-'Your little boy has grown up... Into, like, thirteen little boys.'
-'Oh yeah, I've seen one of those! It's a fridge!'

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Oh boy. I have TONS of those.

"Nothing more need be said. I'm sure you have all discovered, by now, your true selves. The smiles you wear are no longer false masks. You may find yourselves troubled or suffering or lost in the future, but there is nothing to fear - look to your soul for your true self. No matter what trials you may face, that will be enough for you to weather the storm.

Now, go forth, into your bright futures!"

~ Philemon, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona (PSP)

"Indifference is the strongest force in the universe. It makes everything it touches meaningless. Love and hate don’t stand a chance against it. It lets neglect and decay and monstrous injustice go unchecked. It doesn’t act, it allows. And that’s what gives it so much power."]

Gaia Jerusha Pala Thion, Joan D. Vinge's "The Snow Queen"

Frank Herbert's "Dune"

"Parting with friends is a sadness. A place is only a place. "

~ Thufir Hawat.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

~ The Bene Gesserit litany against fear.

"Hope clouds observation."

~ The Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Moiham.

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them."

"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience."

"A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it."

~ The First Law of the Mentat.

"If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets."

~ Gurney Halleck.

"Muad'Dib learned rapidly because his first training was in how to learn. And the first lesson of all was the basic trust that he could learn. It's shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult. Muad'Dib knew that every experience carries its lesson."

~ From "The Humanity of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan.

"Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little bit to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain."

~ From "Muad'Dib: Family Commentaries" by the Princess Irulan.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in. He must reflect what is projected upon him. And he must have a strong sense of the sardonic. This is what uncouples him from belief in his own pretensions. The sardonic is all that permits him to move within himself. Without this quality, even occasional greatness will destroy a man."

~ From "Collected Sayings of Muad’Dib" by the Princess Irulan.

"Anything outside yourself, this you can see and apply your logic to it. But it’s a human trait that when we encounter personal problems, these things most deeply personal are the most difficult to bring out for our logic to scan. We tend to flounder around, blaming everything but the actual, deep-seated thing that’s really chewing on us. "

~ Lady Jessica.

"My father once told me that respect for the truth comes close to being the basis for all morality. 'Something cannot emerge from nothing,' he said. This is profound thinking if you understand how unstable 'the truth' can be."

~ From "Conversations with Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan.

"What do you despise? By this you are truly known."

~ From "Manual of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan.

"Science is made up of so many things that appear obvious after they are explained."

~ Pardot Kynes.

"To save one from a mistake is a gift of paradise."

~ Stilgar.

"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future. "

"It's easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."

~ Thufir Hawat.

"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."

"When religion and politics travel in the same cart, the riders believe nothing can stand in their way. Their movement becomes headlong – faster and faster and faster. They put aside all thought of obstacles and forget that a precipice does not show itself to the man in a blind rush until it’s too late. "

~ Bene Gesserit proverb.

"You cannot avoid the interplay of politics within an orthodox religion. This power struggle permeates the training, educating and disciplining of the orthodox community. Because of this pressure, the leaders of such a community inevitably must face that ultimate internal question: to succumb to complete opportunism as the price of maintaining their rule, or risk sacrificing themselves for the sake of the orthodox ethic."

~ From "Muad'dib: The Religious Issues" by the Princess Irulan.

"Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive."

~ Pardot Kynes.

"The thing the ecologically illiterate don’t realize about an ecosystem is that it’s a system. A system! A system maintains a certain fluid stability that can be destroyed by a misstep in just one niche. A system has order, a flowing from point to point. If something dams the flow, order collapses. The untrained might miss that collapse until it was too late. That’s why the highest function of ecology is the understanding of consequences."

~ Pardot Kynes.

"Much that was called religion has carried an unconscious attitude of hostility toward life. True religion must teach that life is filled with joys pleasing to the eye of God, that knowledge without action is empty. All men must see that the teaching of religion by rules and rote is largely a hoax. The proper teaching is recognized with ease. You can know it without fail because it awakens within you that sensation which tells you this is something you’ve always known. "

~ Conclusion of the Commentaries in Appendix II: The Religion of Dune.

"Think you of the fact that a deaf person cannot hear. Then, what deafness may we not all possess? What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us?"

~ From the Orange Catholic Bible.

"A world is supported by four things ... the learning of the wise, the justice of the great, the prayers of the righteous and the valor of the brave. But all of these are as nothing ... without a ruler who knows the art of ruling. Make that the science of your tradition!"

~ Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Moiham.

I'd assault all of you with quotes from B5 as well, but... fffffffff- that series is too damn quotable. >>

Now for a couple of famous Gurren Lagann quotes:

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?!? - Kamina

Don't believe in yourself, believe in me who believes in you!- again, Kamina

Tales of Vesperia:

"Prepare to die eggbear!"- Karol

(In a wimpy voice) "Prepare to die eggbear!"- Yuri

And here I was secretly hoping for a gourmet meal..- Yuri when he meets Belius.

(I'm not sure if I absolutely have this memorized or not)

Yuri: Let the cry of victory resound!

Repede: Rarf! Rarf rarf rarf!

Yuri: Alright! -Battle quote.

Estelle: The cry of victory!

Repede: *Yawn*

Estelle: Repede!? -another battle quote.

Judith: Maybe I should show a little more?
Raven: YES! OH GOD YES! *falls over* -random skit

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a new world:

Marta: *giggle* You were so amazing Emil!

Emil (Ratatosk): Shut up! That was nothing!

Marta: I love the way you said that!

Emil R: I'm not fighting anymore!
battle quote

And finally:

Would I rather be loved or feared? Easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much I love them.-
Some random guy, also one of my friend's senior quotes.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Aristotle verses BIG MASHY SPIKE PLATE!"

~Wheatly

"When life gives you lemons, make apple saucee and wonder how the HELL you did it."

~Some random person I can't remember

Estelle: Our weapons are love!

Yuri: Justice!

Raven: Sexualitaaaaaaaaayyyyyy....

Rita: Would you stop!
- Vesperia battle quote.

Collin: You idiot! You mispelled San Francisco! Now it says Saf Sanscisco!
Chip: Well you know I'm not a good spellerer!
- Improvaganza, Collin Mocherie and Chip Esten.

"This article is about the woman who gives the player their starter Pokémon in Unova." - Bulbapedia

Why do I find this line so amzingly funny?

"Listen. What's that smell?" -Ghostbusters

"Prepare..for...unforeseen..consequences." -The G-Man

"You spoony bard!" -Tellah, Final Fantasy IV

"Properly read, the Bible is the most powerful force for atheism ever conceived." -Isaac Asimov

"You..you've got a vibrating laser?" -Ace

"Welcome..welcome to City 17." -Dr. Wallace Breen

My quotes...

"Fantasy redefines Reality."
"In order to understand fantasy, you must first understand reality. Only then will you gain the knowledge needed to weave an tale of legends."
"Writing is like mining. Although you can choose to dig anywhere you like, some areas are more bountiful than others."
"Let poetry flow through your body and infect you like the most vicious poison..."

"Love is the only truth, pure as the well of youth, until it breaks your heart..."--Ariel, Kamelot's Epica/Black Halo

"Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. So, study hard, and BE EVIL!"--Anonymous

"The streams of sorrow can wait for tomorrow, but the hours of gay can stay here today."--Erucia Mantoka

"kotomi: tomoya guess who?
tomoya:hey! wait a moment, I feel your boobs pressed on my back
kotomi: I feel your boobs.... your boobs?
tomoya: stop talking like a Russian gymnast"

-Clannad episode 12

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
“Hey, Rio. You were asking if there was some meaning in this world. When I was the only one who survived, it was all I could think about. Why had I, alone, survived? What did it mean? And I realized, I’m sure there’s no meaning in this world… But isn’t that wonderful? That means you can find your own.”
- Felicia, Soranowoto

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
"A long time ago, Nunnally, Suzaku, and I talked about something. We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form. If I'm not mistaken, I think it was Suzaku who said that the shape of happiness might resemble glass. His reasoning made sense. He said that even though you don't usually notice it, its still definitely there, you merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light." - Lelouch, Code Geass.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
"Bury the pain of losing your loved ones... into the arms of your friends." - Erza, Fairy Tail

"I'd rather betray the world than have the world betray me." - Cao Cao

"Living in a world without emotion, without meaning, would be anything but life. It would be stagnant, and would be little more than experience that is never put to use; a world that's closed and incomplete. That's a world I wouldn't want to live in." - Lelouch, Code Geass

"I stand before you not as your King, not as your Commander-of-Arms, but as your fellow man. I come to you seeking not your strength or your wisdom, but your belief. Faith and belief, not only in your leader but in individual self are what will bring us victory. Faith that we are protecting our country, our rights, our people: that is what will win; not numbers or superior tactics. The power of the human heart is the greatest strength mankind can ever wield, and if we unlock its power here and now, there is no enemy that can truly defeat us. My brothers, let us ride: not unto victory, nor unto death; but unto history. Let history see this as the moment that we stood our strongest, held fast to what we hold dear, and did the hardest thing to do: the right thing." - Me, combining some of Richmond from Richard III with a bit of Sun Tzu, adding a touch of Code Geass, and just a dash of Mobile Suit: Gundam 00. Improv for a drama tournament: awesome.

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
"It's always difficult to keep personal prejudice out of a thing like this. And wherever you run into it, prejudice always obscures the truth. I don't really know what the truth is. I don't suppose anybody will ever really know. Nine of us now seem to feel that the defendant is innocent, but we're just gambling on probabilities - we may be wrong. We may be trying to let a guilty man go free, I don't know. Nobody really can. But we have a reasonable doubt, and that's something that's very valuable in our system. No jury can declare a man guilty unless it's SURE. We nine can't understand how you three are still so sure. Maybe you can tell us." - Juror #8, 12 Angry Men

"I have to really want to - to bring them back in front of my eyes. The rest of the time they... they sleep in my mind, and I forget. And so will you. Oh, yes, you will. You'll find there's so much else to think about, to remember. Our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing! Because nobody in the universe can do what we're doing." - The Second Doctor, Doctor Who

"Ambrose, you know what? Adrian's scared, too. All the time. But he doesn't let it stop him. Okay, now you tell me: what does he have that you don't have? "
"He has you." - Sharona Fleming and Ambrose Monk, Monk

"You mean we are all just copies? Of originals?"
"That's it."
"Who made the copies?"
"God. The Demi-urge."
"He should have used both hands, shouldn't he?" - John Merrick and Frederick Treves, The Elephant Man (Play)