• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join The Strange Lights of Route 14

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Shiro’s mind was a whirlwind of confusion. This couldn’t be real! There’s no way Dana could have been taken by the Lights! When did they get her? She was fine when they were on the cliffside looking at the stars. Then they fell asleep. Was this the trio’s doing? Did Calvin, Jackson, and Chase get to her? But if so why wasn’t she with them? And why didn’t Shiro wake up from the commotion they would have caused? Then the Lights got her before they arrived. No, she would have still been up there. Then after? But then when did she leave? Did they get her while she was with Shiro? Was that even possible? If so, why not him too? Why was he the only one left?

There had been six Trainers on Route 14 that night. One fell unconscious as soon as the night began and was left in a Hidden Grotto. Had she been the first victim? Maybe, but then why wasn’t she on the cliff too? Or why hadn’t she attacked from the start? Forget it, nevermind her. She wasn’t with the boys and she isn’t here now. As for those three, Shiro had a pretty good idea when they got picked off. Each one at some point left the group for one reason or another. But Shiro never left Dana’s side nor she his. So why her!? Why was he the only one left?

“What’s wrong? Why do you look like you’ve seen a ghost? Is there something on my face?” asked the possessed girl. The way her voice sounded was a lot clearer and nuanced then the other thralls. Were it not for her soulless eyes, Shiro would have hoped that he had made a mistake due to adrenaline. But any hope he might have had was quickly dashed when the Lights contorted Dana’s face to one of malevolence. “Is that better, now?” she taunted. Shiro felt his heart sink. No, it wasn’t. Such a look didn’t suit her pretty face at all.

His knees began to grow weak as both his body and mind started to shut down. What was to become of him now? Was he too going to become a slave to the Lights? Why was he the only one left? Dumb luck? To be their plaything? To be tormented by the people he met tonight, who could have been friends under different circumstance. His gaze lingered on Dana. Who could have been more? He saw her mouth move as if speaking by no sounds reached him other than his own rapid heartbeat throbbing in his ears. At last his knees gave out. Shiro collapsed to the ground just in time to feel a splash of water hit the back of his windbreaker. All at once his senses returned to him as he spun around to see Close Call standing over him with his fur still coated in water from his Aqua Jet. Did... did the Floatzel just try to kill him? Per Dana’s order? No. It was the Lights. They did this! They were controlling them both, just like Calvin and the others! But it was different this time. This time Shiro wasn’t outnumbered. This time he wasn’t worried about where someone was because this time she was right in front of him. Only now he knew she was one of them. Hopefully he could change that. He had to. But first he had to keep them from killing him.

“Dana. Close Call. I’m sorry, but I am going to defend myself!” declared Shiro with renewed resolve. He reached for Mizuki’s Pokéball and with a swift flick of his wrist sent her out to battle her fellow otter. “Attack Close Call with Slash Mizuki!” he commanded. The Formidable Pokémon drew her Seamitars then let out a mighty roar as she charged at Close Call.

"So... what now?" Calvin asked as he and the other thralls trekked down the hill to the waterfall.

"We're on standby, you fucking idiot," Chase snapped. The real version of him had every right to be mad. All the time he'd spent in Undella—surfing at the beach, walking around shirtless, and chatting up girls—had gone to waste. The reason he'd fallen in love with the sea was simple. It got him wet, in more ways than one. In a region like Unova, where every fat kid set off on a journey at age 10 to get out of middle-school P.E. but didn't end up winning any badges because the sole mention of "Gym" made him curl up in a ball, the town of slim, scantily clad swimmers was a rarefied ocean paradise. Yet the moment he decided to do something worthwhile—explore a mystery other than a hot chick's distant figure with his eyes—he got told off by a kid way smaller than him, rebuffed by the one functioning girl in the group, and picked off sooner than anyone else. Staring at his Alomomola's flat form, which floated in the river as it waited for Chase and the others to embark, reminded him of chests. Flat chests. When all he wished to do was bury his face in the cradle of a full bosom.

At least that's what the lights had understood, controlling him as long as they did. Why had so much time passed until they claimed their next victim? It had taken them a while to get a handle on Chase, since they'd overlooked the fact that he thought with a part of him other than his brain.

"What's with the cursing? Didn't your sister teach you manners?"

"Sorry. I'm just playing the role of the alpha male, since that's the personality our masters inherited and keeping us subdued is easier the more they conform to the people we once were. Wait, how do you know about my sister?"

"I visited her yesterday. Everyone's so focused on the Strange Lights of Route 14 when the real story is the night before."

"Fuck you."

"Haha, I'm just kidding. I know about your sister because we're controlled by the same beings, so I have access to your memories and vice versa," Calvin explained. "The one thing I don't know is what we're gonna do while Dana takes care of Shiro. Any ideas?"

"Well, why don't we start with the reason each of us is here in the first place?" Chase suggested. "I came to discover the truth behind the lights rumors. That's what I tell people, anyway. In reality I got wasted at a friend's villa last night and heard about the lights thinking there was another party out here or something. What about you?"

"Just passing through to get home," Calvin said. "Jackson?"

The foreigner had long mastered the art of not drawing too much attention to himself, lest the authorities snag him and ship him back to Hoenn. He'd silently followed the other two's conversation and melted into the shade of a sombrero that he'd gotten from somewhere, a weed whacker in one hand to cut a path through the stubbornest of bushes and disappear at a moment's notice.

"I did, in fact, come here to investigate the lights myth. Because immigrants end up doing the jobs no one wants," he muttered. "By the way... I would kindly ask that you stop calling me Jackson. That's just an alias I assumed when I entered this country. From now on, you shall refer to me by my true name... Jaxón Gutierrez."

"Is that really your name, or are our masters having too much fun recreating our identities? When did you become a walking stereotype?" Chase questioned.

"Ever since I fell under the lights' spell in the Hidden Grotto. I made sure to stash the drugs I'd smuggled across the Unovan border in some bushes before they led me away, however."

"Drugs, huh? There may not have been a party, but that's the next best thing."

The thralls descended the waterfall and arrived where the bushes parted under Jackson's unlikely leadership. None of them was actually in charge, and all had equal knowledge. But puppets were more fun when assigned the same distinct roles that people possessed in society. When this was all over, perhaps they could venture beyond this route, blend into the masses, and achieve greater things.

"Hold on." Calvin stopped just outside the entrance. "If I remember correctly, someone's in there."

"Oh yeah? There's three of us and one of them," Chase growled, slamming his fist into his cupped hand and storming in. "We'll kick their ass."

The Grotto interior revealed little more than a sunken bed of leaves where a person had once rested. Chase and Jackson hadn't been present when Jocelyn was dropped here. Calvin had conveniently walked off then. The only reason they knew it was a human rather than a Pokémon was Dana, whose memories had supplied the missing pieces. They kept their wits about them as if Jocelyn might drop from the ceiling like an attacking spider.

"Why are we treating her like a Bug-type? If it's a chick we're looking out for, then she'd be a Grass-type, because girls have-"

"Can it, Chase," said Calvin. He was no less soft-spoken than he was pre-possession. That, or the self-proclaimed alpha's big mouth made everyone seem quiet as a Rattata in comparison—Alolan in Jackson's case, since the mustachioed variety was closer to his national origins.

"I see no reason to be scared. If there's a girl here, we might as well have some fun with her..." the foreigner muttered as he frisked the bushes at the Grotto's end for a trace of white powder.

"Are you trying to get deported?" scolded Chase. "You're exactly why we need to make Unova great again."

"Ew, you're a Republican?" Calvin grimaced.

"Of course I'm a Republican. I'm from Lacunosa Town. They literally built a wall."

"To keep out an Ice-type dragon. Get your history straight."

"I'm not a fan of ICE, especially when they come knocking on my door," Jackson said. He reached a little deeper into the foliage and produced six bags of a snowy grain. "Unless you mean the drug."

"Holy shit. Is that actual contraband?"

"I don't know. Maybe they're just packs of sugar I left behind to attract wild Pokémon and save me from the lights. That's what happens when you slather honey on a tree in Sinnoh, anyway," Jackson replied. He eyed the other thralls seriously and tore the bags open. "We'll just have to snort them and find out."

~~~

"I'm sorry, but someone with no experience can't become a trainer here."

How had Dana gotten to this point? Not long ago she'd passed a route full of trainers and told herself she wasn't one of them. Yet she now stood at the front desk of the Driftveil City Gym and hoped to be. Had she not almost drowned, she could have found employment as a swimming instructor. An indoor pool had no rip currents. But fear had seized her more tightly than the tide and not let go. She'd eyed the local rec center's most popular attraction like a sloshing death trap and decided it wasn't for her.

"...But we do need someone to clean the Gym after battles."

The receptionist had thrown her a lifeline, so to speak. Here was work that she and Close Call could do. That was the name she'd chosen for Floatzel, because it was not only the first thing she'd said to him but also an imperfect rhyme for his species. The "Flo-" and "Clo-" complemented each other, and the "l" consonance at the end of the second syllables sealed the deal.

Dana's first week on the job was hardly as flawless. She lacked the most basic command over her Pokémon—the moves he knew, their practical application, and the giving of orders—which was rather unfortunate, considering hers was a tall one. Clay's gym, where everyone except for her and a Clerk named Katie was a big, beefy dude, contained more testosterone than a pubescent teenage boy. The messes would be tough to clean even for a seasoned Pokémon handler.

Of course, it was Katie who ended up showing Dana the ropes, because "cleaning was a woman's job," to quote Worker Don, and the miners didn't know a thing about it. She could have berated her male colleagues for their backward thinking, but then she remembered that they'd literally been living under a rock. Besides, could she be so bold? As a young, impressionable new hire in a job she needed more than the other way around, she didn't grasp which behaviors should raise a red flag and which were standard fare in the workplace.

Thankfully, Katie pulled her aside one day before she could see the worst. That was the moment Dana received a proper introduction to the Pokémon world. Differences in strength between men and women didn't matter when the region was crawling with powered monsters. The extent to which she could master them determined her worth in society. If she wanted to be treated fairly, Katie advised, she needed to hone her skills as a trainer.

"I heard about your situation, and I understand you're not interested in battling," she'd said. "But for self-defense purposes, everyone should know how to tell their Charizard to bite a pervert's balls off."

Dana wondered if staffing a squalid gym like this one had coarsened Katie's speech over the years. Close Call had suggested that she simply dump trash on anyone who got on her nerves. Not only was it payback for the ocean litter, but it was also well within her job responsibilities. She wouldn't be making more of a mess. She'd merely be mixing the gym waste with the human waste to dispose of it jointly.

"I'll help you out. Every day after we're done taking challengers, meet me on the battlefield and send out your Pokémon," Katie offered, before Dana did anything petty. She was grateful her senior had extended a hand when she did, because over the next few months, the sexist comments crept more and more beyond the bounds of the acceptable. Every morning that she swiped into work, she had to keep her Trainer Card—particularly the Trainer Class/Occupation field that said "Swimmer"—angled away, lest she invite wonderings from older men about how she looked in a swimsuit.

"You know I'm a minor, right?" she'd fumed.

"We're all miners!" they jeered back.

Under Katie's tutelage, she'd overperformed. Save the dirty remarks, the Driftveil City Gym was as clean as it could be at each day's end. More importantly, the girl who didn't know a thing about battling months prior went on, with the aid of Close Call's type advantage, to defeat every colleague who catcalled her. Yet no matter how thoroughly she trounced her opponent, she couldn't win respect. Neither from those who didn't deserve it in the first place, nor from the Gym Leader. She'd once ventured to Clay's chamber on the lowest floor and calmly voiced her concerns only for them to be dismissed. It was her word against that of the Workers, with whom he'd dug long before his days as a League official. His first impression of Dana wasn't a good one, and when she humbled her fellow employees in battle over the slightest provocation, it only fed the notion that she was a troublemaker.

Eventually, she decided she'd had enough. She stormed into work one afternoon and demanded to see Clay. She'd worked up the confidence to assert herself this time. If he refused to comply and fired her, great, she was quitting anyway. No one took her seriously. It was the busiest hour with several gym challengers ahead of her. The only real attention she got was comments about how she looked extra "thicc" today. All she did was stuff a bunch of Super Potions into her blue hoodie, but that was enough to get the miners' imaginations going. Would it suffice to conquer all the visiting trainers? Probably not.

"I know what you're thinking, Dana," Katie said, coming up from behind and standing at her side, "and I support you wholeheartedly. Anything less and it wouldn't balance out the crap you've had to endure."

She drew her Pokéballs, and then the attention of every civilian battler in the vicinity.

"I'll hold them off. Go do what you need," she assured the teen with a grin.

Dana replayed that image in her mind to preserve her sanity. All that stood in her way now were her coworkers, as lecherous in triumph as they were in defeat. She began to make quick work of every man who stepped to her. His Pokémon, to be exact. But she wanted nothing more than to knee the trainer in the groin whenever he sent out a Drilbur and said, "Prepare to get drilled." Or when Close Call knocked it out with a Water Gun and he commented that at least one of them was getting wet. Or when a particularly hard-of-hearing employee started unzipping his pants when she asked for directions to the "mine shaft." Or when she wondered why Clay's room was so far down and a staffer responded that he preferred being on the bottom.

Though Katie had been with Dana through all her unpleasant times, there was nothing she could do now. The challengers had overwhelmed her and advanced to the elevator. She only hoped that her apprentice would sail back to the surface on a different platform and part the crowd.

But as she'd done with everything else Katie had guided her through, Dana overperformed. The battlers descended into the depths and revealed her smiling brightly on an adjacent lift, parting instead the very darkness that swallowed them. Her mentor couldn't figure what it meant. Had she accomplished what she'd intended, or was she masking immense pain?

"So... how did it go?" Katie asked.

"After an intense fight, I got fired," Dana confessed. "Honestly, it's a huge weight off my chest."

And it was. She'd exhausted all her Super Potions and was much lighter on her way out the door. Clay, who was apparently the president of a company, had pulled a formal notice of termination out of the suitcase he toted. The girl unfurled it and claimed the Quake Badge nestled inside before slipping it into the trash.

~~~

There was a light at the end of every tunnel, a silver lining to every dark cloud. As far as Dana's experience at the Driftveil City Gym was concerned, that was Katie. So the lights did away with her, squeezed the positive memories from the possessed girl's being and left her a wrung towel of herself—twisted, monstrous, dirtied, and wronged. The harassment was all she remembered. The moment the lights committed the warped recollection to her brain, a new reason to hate the world—more potent than the loss of a fond memory from her journey—hit her like a drug. Shivering with the sudden inspiration, her merciless stare waned and was replaced with a smirk—a bowl brimming with evil, slighter than a full grin or else her negative emotions would spill over and she'd scream like an unhinged demon. The confident smile of a girl who hated so passionately that she loved it, harnessing more power to destroy Shiro than he could fathom.

"That's not how you start a fight..." she chided. "Close, you know what to do."

The weasel rushed Mizuki head-on, accelerating with Aqua Jet and blitzing across the otter's vision. Then, he disappeared. Made himself scarce. Slipped his lithe body inches away from the ground right under the quadruped's nose and exploded upward, throwing out one hand after another to execute a Double Hit.

Last edited:

Psycho Monkey

Mizuki slashed at Close Call only to catch a trail of water as he dashed out of the way with another Aqua Jet. The Sea Weasel Pokémon then zipped around directly in front of her giving her the ol’ one-two punch with a Double Hit to the face.

“Hang in there Mizuki! Hit him back with Revenge!” countered Shiro. Mizuki raised her forelimbs and slammed the butts of her Seamitars down towards Close Call’s head. The Floatzel may be fast, but were the Lights fast enough to be able to react and move their puppet in time to dodge an attack at that close range?

That got Shiro thinking. He thought back to his battle on the cliff with the boys and how for just a moment Calvin managed to break free. It meant the Lights were actively controlling them and, for Calvin to briefly regain his senses, it meant that their control wasn’t absolute. Right now he knew they were simultaneously controlling four humans and at least just as many Pokémon. Unlike on the cliff though, Close Call wasn’t fully independent. He still required the bare minimum direction from Dana while the last three Pokémon attacked without a word from their Trainers. Of course this could just be psychological warfare from the Lights to confuse Shiro and catch him off balance. Only one way to find out.

“Lights!” Shiro shouted fixing his gaze on Dana. Her body seemed to be quivering with rage and her face contorted with hate making it hard to stare for too long. “What is your game here? What are you hoping to accomplish with all of this?” he demanded. If he could distract them, have them focus all of their attention on him, then maybe one or more of their other thralls could break free.

If a Floatzel was homesick, did that also make him seasick?

That was about as deep as the questions in Dana's mind got. Her parents must have realized, in the months that had passed, that she was fully committed to running away. Her pithy texts about how she got a job as a swimming instructor betrayed none of the confusion she'd experienced in the first three days. She couldn't tell them that her actual employment was Pokémon-related. She had too many secrets, and that kept her from missing them.

Close Call was a different story. She'd promised him—as long as she stayed far from the rails—a better view of the ocean than the Driftveil shore, so here she was, leaning against the cabin wall of the ferry to Virbank City. They'd lucked out, embarking in time to see the closing phases of day play out before them. The sky shed the smile it had worn to reveal something less innocent, the sparse red clouds streaking its blue face with a lover's blush before it disappeared under the covers of night and set about making a new day, the crescent moon digging into the sheets like a nail.

Details like these stood out in the darkness, because there was nowhere else to look. If the ferry route hadn’t hugged the shore so closely, she could’ve lost herself in an endless expanse of sea, her sole ground in reality that whatever her next move was, the future would open up to her the same. But civilization never strayed too far, so neither did her mind.

"I’m sounding more and more like you each day," Dana verbalized.

What’s that supposed to mean? Close Call asked.

"I mean that this trip isn’t exactly a getaway, and you’d enjoy it more if we couldn’t see where we came from."

I don’t mind a few rocks. It’s the litter that gets on my nerves.

"What counts as litter?" Dana prodded. Anything man-made, like Liberty Island in the distance, would’ve been her snarky answer. "I thought you just didn’t like people, since you were so eager to see me dump trash on their heads at the Driftveil Gym. Not that I didn’t consider it."

I know a wild human when I see one. Those jerks deserved it.

"Speaking of wild," Dana said as the ship rolled past the vibrant colors of Virbank’s graffitied walls, "you’re probably gonna like this place. Canals run between every sidewalk, so if you ever feel like avoiding someone, just hop off the railing and swim after me."

Close Call didn’t need to be so discreet about it. He wasn’t the only one who was uncomfortable passing others here at this hour. A human would be better off swimming home than walking by a dark alley in one of Unova's rougher cities. He considered sleeping on the docks, or staying on the ferry where both of them could get some rest.

But wherever they went, danger seemed to follow. The moment Dana glimpsed five threatening figures pressing a young man against a wall in the distant light of a Pokémon's flame, she took off in their direction.

If I wanted to avoid someone, you wouldn't let me, Floatzel said with a sigh, and bounded after her.

~~~

If Shiro expected Close Call to dodge, then he was either plain stupid, or still grappling with the reality of what he had to do. The former made defeating him easier, but how much of a mind would there be to possess?

The lights, despite the boy's confidence, were in every position to find out. Close Call's arm whipped out with surprising force and connected with Mizuki's left seamitar. Though his Slash normally had a high chance of dealing critical damage, this was a defensive move—not enough to sweep Samurott off her feet but slam her blades off course and lock them in a stalemate.

A short-lived stalemate. Two limbs against one of his didn't favor the Floatzel. So despite the fangs bared, blows dealt, and blades drawn, the sole execution was that of a retreat. Just as his right arm began to falter, his idling left pawed the earth and sent a slap of mud into Mizuki's face. With a mighty crack of his tail, he kicked off the ground and withdrew.

It wasn't clear whether the boy spoke first or the Samurott acted on instinct. But when the latter plowed through the mud like dirt on the windshield of a speeding car, Close Call realized that he wouldn't get away so easily.

"Catch him with Aqua Jet!"

Thunder and lightning flashing at once, Dana mused. She couldn't be impressed like she'd been at everything else Shiro had done, for emotions were no longer hers to control. Besides, this was nothing. Dana and Close Call's minds were presently one. Shiro and Mizuki could be as in sync as humanly possible and still wouldn’t hold a candle to them.

"The gap between us is as vast as the stars are far..." she lamented.

Or perhaps they were near. Much nearer than they could anticipate. Like an ancient treasure that crumbled at the touch and made a fool of the man who'd fought, killed, and betrayed for it, the sea weasel loosed a flurry of stars the moment Mizuki made contact—pelting her at close range, each stinging like the haunting rebuke of every slain innocent whose soul now swirled around him. In Floatzel's case, it was a version of the truth that the lights had warped into a harsh judgment. Shiro was the one responsible for his and Dana's current state. Close had been confined to his ball and trusted him to protect her, yet he couldn't even do that. If he'd known what she'd experienced—hell, if he'd been more of a man than the boy he was—he'd have stayed vigilant and never let this happen to them.

If one spent enough time under the lights' spell, the voices that whispered curses in the dark of his mind grew louder—first a suggestion, a gentle rewiring of a rational thought to something uglier, then a conviction that drowned out all reason and left what his slavers had wanted him to believe floating on the surface. The goals of the masters and their puppets aligned. The stars of Close Call's Swift? They disappeared, leaving nothing in their stead. Floatzel, much like his being that had vacated the shell of himself, had vanished.

"I'm not a pawn in someone's game, Shiro," Dana replied. "I'm doing this because I want to. I'm doing this because for the first time in a while, I felt safe with a boy."

The Close Call that reappeared was a mere shadow in the trees. The next wave of Swift followed, raining down on Mizuki from his perch, the honing barbs sure to find their target. He darted from one tree to another at a speed less recognizable than the last, cutting across the clearing until he was little more than a blur in the air, a wind that brought a shower of stars as surely as it blew. Aqua Jet. Agility. Another. The words that Dana and Shiro exchanged would hurt him more than they helped, for Floatzel would make himself scarce in that time and power up.

"You couldn't protect me, Shiro. I've had enough of you." Her expression mellowed from disdain to love. How had she grown so fond of someone after only meeting him that night? The answer to that question was something she hadn't understood until now. Conflict brought people together. Whether it was famine, war, natural disaster, or a mystery that they'd bared their emotions to each other in solving, Dana bonded with him more than she ever would have had the circumstances differed. Moreover, she saw in Shiro what she hadn't seen in others. He was raw, innocent, and genuine, as quick to blow up on Chase as he'd shrunk into his hood when he'd said too much. Every reserved character had something to hide, and when she'd wander into the dark corridor of his personality wondering what it was, the monster that dwelled there would press her against a wall.

Perhaps that was the third and final reason Dana had opened up to him. The journey had taken its toll on her, and she'd been on the brink of collapse. He showed up when she desperately needed someone to depend on, her pain so burdensome that she readily shed the weight of her guards.

But the lights chose what to do with that information. Of all the buried thoughts they'd heaped out onto her conscious awareness as they tunneled deeper into the caverns of Dana's psyche, this one sat in the sun, untouched. A realization that would hit her like the heaviest stone if she ever broke free, but one that was useless to them. The only string of thoughts that mattered was that which made her dance, for she was their puppet.

"As much as you try to deny it, my expression shows how I really feel," Dana said. She was referring to the hateful one from before, and the loving one she wore now. If Shiro's blue eyes could discern what was truly written on her face, her statement would give him no relief. For there was a wryness to her sweet smile, a question of whether the boy saw the monster he'd allowed her to become.

And, with the stars swelling to a storm around them, perhaps an invitation to descend into madness with her.

Last edited:

Psycho Monkey

Close Call blocked Mizuki’s strike leaving the two Water-types struggling against each other’s might in a stalemate. Ever full of surprises, the Floatzel slapped mud into Mizuki’s face before breaking free and pulling back in an effort to regroup.

“Catch him with Aqua Jet!” shouted Shiro wanting to press his advantage while he had it. The Samurott darted after her foe as fast as an ocean current after a storm but it was all for naught. The moment she collided with Close Call his body seemingly exploded into white stars of light that struck Mizuki like shurikens.

“What!?” Shiro blurted. Was that Swift? Did he use the attack as Mizuki approached or was it some sort of illusion? Unless Dana had a Zoroark of her own or if the Lights were in control of one then that couldn’t be it. Well it was dark and still foggy down here so a regular optical illusion was still a possibility. Whatever the case, the Floatzel was nowhere to been seen now. Where could he be hiding?

“Keep your guard up Mizuki. He could attack from anywhere.” Shiro urged. Sure enough, the next volley came from the Samurott’s right flank and before the Trainer could shout a warning, the stars struck true. In her own defense, the Formidable Pokémon blasted a Water Pulse at the tree the attack came from only to knock a few of the dying orange leaves from the branches. No sign of Close Call though. Another barrage came from her blind spot and once again she fired a Water Pulse at a target that was no longer there.

“I’m not a pawn in someone’s game, Shiro.” The boy turned his full attention to Dana who was finally answering his earlier inquiry. “I’m doing this because I want to. I’m doing this because for the first time in a while, I felt safe with a boy. You couldn’t protect me, Shiro. I’ve had enough of you.”

Shiro clenched his fists. Even if it was the Lights making her say these things, it still hurt to hear. The tone of her voice was the bitterness and sorrow of someone who had experienced a great betrayal. He wished that the Lights spoke emotionlessly like robots. It would be easier that way. Talking like this made it hard to discern if the words reflected the speaker’s real emotions or if the Lights, who or whatever they were, were just that effective at fully controlling a person’s heart, body, and mind. Even the expression on her face matched the pain in her voice further adding to the uncertainty. If only he could get through to her somehow. If Dana could break free, even for just a moment, he could understand how she really felt, not what the Lights were making her feel. Maybe he had been going about it all wrong. Whenever he addressed the person in front of him, he called upon the Lights. Maybe now he should switch up tactics and speak directly to Dana.

“You’re right Dana. I couldn’t protect you. But this isn’t just on me. We both let our guards down. We both believed we had solved the mystery of the Lights. We thought it was over, that it was that Stantler and that there was no real danger. I don’t know why the Lights took you and not me. This could have been the other way around. Hell, it could have been both of us but it’s not. I’m still here so I’m going to make this right. I’m going to save you and then together we’ll solve this mystery for real!” vowed Shiro with renewed determination.

A pained howl from Mizuki brought the Trainer’s focus back to the other battle he was waging. More Swifts had been fired at the Samurott causing her to be surrounded by an azure aura that flowed around her like water. So Close Call had done enough damage to her to activate her Torrent Ability.

“Mizuki! Rather than attacking where Close Call was or trying to predict where he’s going to be, flush him out with Surf!” commanded Shiro preemptively moving up to higher ground. With a mighty roar from Mizuki, the earth began to shake as a tidal wave of ground water erupted from the soil beneath the Samurott’s feet. She rode the deluge five meters into the air before crashing it back down to flood the battlefield in all directions knocking yet more leaves from trees that just floated aimlessly on the surface of the waves. Regardless as to where the Floatzel was hiding, this was sure to find him.

The cornered boy could hardly see a thing in the darkness of the alley. But it wasn't the absence of light that bothered him, or any other 13-year-old who'd lived in Virbank his whole life. Nor was it the unknown. He'd learned to paint his own picture of what the blackness hid when the sun didn't make it obvious. What scared him was when the light finally came, destroying his hopes and causing him to realize, too suddenly for comfort, that he'd been a fool. His overprotective mother had kept him at home when he'd wanted to journey, and Milo got it in his head that he could convince her if he went out, caught some Pokémon, and returned with a half-filled badge case. He wasn't so bold as to run away, but he had the money. And he'd found a third party that, for a small price, would give him the first four of the Unova League's badges.

Only when he'd met them here to complete the transaction, they turned out to be cheap replicas. He used up the courage he'd mustered on the way and called them out. But they were stronger than he'd reckoned, fainting two of his Pokémon and leaving his last on the ground, fighting to produce the smallest ember. Milo now had his back to the wall, piecing the illuminated parts of his aggressor's face into the puzzle of his own doom.

"What do you think you're doing?!"

He'd hang there in the man's grip, brace himself for his other hand's punch, and crumple to the floor like trash as four others kicked him into submission. When one was that certain of the immediate future, any intervening sight, sound, or presence didn't register. He must have imagined a girl's voice. But his attackers stopped and turned their heads, caught on the sudden suspense of a moment in which Milo was no longer the suspended. He kept silent once his captor released him and he'd slipped to the ground.

"Taking care of business, girl," the man growled. "And if you make it yours, we'll have to take care of you, too."

Milo would have feigned unconsciousness, were he able to close his eyes on the unfolding scene. The goons sent out their Pokémon and easily outnumbered the girl, whose sole ally was a Floatzel. The future hadn't changed. Someone else had just stepped in to take the blows. It was best to run from what he and Pansear were powerless to stop.

"Don't worry about me! Just get out of here!" he pleaded instead. The ruffians looked over their shoulders and made him instantly regret opening his mouth.

"I think I will make it my business," Dana reeled them back.

She'd sealed their fate. Milo knew how this story would end. He'd lain there observing the sparks of confrontation, but when it burst into a flame and the enemy Pokémon lunged at her, he could no longer watch. The cries, commands, and executions sounded all around him. The corners of his lips were drawn tighter to his face than he'd been to the wall. His eyelids creased like they'd pinched space between them and torn it open, taking him anywhere else.

He didn't know how long he'd stayed that way, but when he next saw, the girl had extended a hand. There was no trace of the thugs save their fleeing steps in the distance, and no proof of a fight once her Floatzel's glare softened. He was too bewildered to accept at first, but he grasped it at her slightest pull back.

"Wow. Okay. Relax," the girl said. "Why don't we start with your name?"

"M-my name?" Words didn't come naturally after he'd hung by his collar so long. Nor did the night usually demand more than a few whispers out of him. "It's... Milo."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Dana. My partner is Close Call, like what you just had," she lightened. "Mind telling me what that was about?"

No, he didn't. His words that had begun as a trickle quickened to a steady stream, dancing around the rocks of embarrassing details as best it could but ultimately spilling the whole truth.

"So you almost got mugged," Dana concluded. She was neither sympathetic nor unsympathetic. Now wasn't the time to talk about her own circumstances or claim that she understood what Milo was going through. The truth was that she hadn't asked her parents' permission to leave the house. If he wasn't simply too young for a rebellious phase and was genuinely a nice kid from a caring family, she wouldn't give him any ideas. At the very least, she'd lend him an ear. "Because you wanted to prove that you were strong enough?"

"Yeah..." Milo hung his head, the admission weighing on him like a log. His eyes rose with the burning questions that engulfed it. "How did you fend off five guys with just one Pokémon? How can I become that strong?"

"Well, for starters..." Dana was halfway between an answer and a shrug. She didn't think much of herself as a trainer. She'd only toughened out of necessity and had more to say about what strength wasn't than what it was. "You can't take shortcuts. If your goal is to win a badge, then that's something you'll have to work for. Isn't there a Gym in this city?"

"There is, yeah," Milo replied. "I haven't challenged it though. After tonight, I'm not even confident I can."

"Um." Dana's gaze passed between Close Call and the boy's injured Pansear, resolve welling deep in its stare as its partner's stirred with doubt. She was lucky, she mused, to find an opportunity to help just as she'd lost her job. "Would you do it if I did it too? We could train together."

~~~

Dana caught on quickly and retreated to an opposing hill. It was like stepping out of a painting. A new battlefield had swelled to the foreground, sending her eye on a hunt for the forest floor and her old advantages. The trees were two-dimensional now, submerged to their tops like orange blotches on a watery midnight canvas. But Close Call wasn't among them.

"Who do you think you're saving?" Dana met Shiro's gaze again as she spoke. "What do you even know about me?"

There were a host of things that could have descended on Mizuki as the deluge stilled. Silence. Uncertainty. Anticipation. Perhaps the slightest shift in the air that indicated Close Call's presence. But if she expected subtlety after a relentless assault, then she was as foolish as her trainer who thought things could go back to the way they were.

Floatzel crashed down on Samurott like a missile. There was never any flushing him out at top speed. He was so light on his feet that the boughs of trees might as well have been springboards. He'd taken to the skies, tails spinning rapidly, arms spearheading his dive. Whether it was the woods below or the air above, Dana consistently subordinated the environment in her schemes against the foe. A force of nature, those who'd faced her in the past had said.

"If it's about solving the mystery, then all you need to do is submit. Then you'll know as much as I do," she suggested. "And you'll stop talking as if this isn't the real me and I need 'saving,' just because it's not who you want me to be."

Last edited:

Psycho Monkey

Dana rebuked Shiro’s declaration as easily as he had made it. She claimed she didn’t need saving, that he didn’t know the real her, and that if he truly wanted to know the secret behind the Lights, he should surrender himself. Shiro clenched his fists in growing frustration. What was she implying? That she gave herself over willingly? That she wasn’t being controlled and that she and the Lights were working together somehow? He didn’t want to believe that was possible but how could he be sure? And what the hell was he trying to prove with that posturing just now anyway? Was his bravado just to show off to a pretty girl? If it was, it certainly wasn’t having the desired effect. He just wanted things to go back to how they were on the cliffside under the stars. They had a good mood going back there.

She was right about one thing. They had only just met each other a few hours ago, and sure they had shared a bit about their pasts and aspirations with each other during that time, but what did he really know about the girl called Dana? Shiro wished he had more time to learn more about her, but for now he would use what little he did know about Dana to hopefully get a genuine reaction out of her.

“No way in hell am I going to submit to the Lights!” he refused angrily. “And I thought you were stronger than that Dana.” he said pointing at her accusingly. “Didn’t you leave home to find your own path instead of the one your parents wanted you to follow? So why are you following the path the Lights want you to take? Is this really what you wanted to do with your life? You said wanted to help people, yet here you are attacking them in the middle of the night forcing them to follow your own warped agenda and reacting with violence if they refuse. I don’t call that helping. In fact, it sounds a bit like Team Plasma, don’t you think? If this really is the real you as you say it is, then you aren’t the girl I thought you were. You're a hypocrite and a liar.” Shiro felt his voice quivering but did his best to keep a measured tone to hide his shame. He felt like scum for using what she told him in confidence against her. He didn’t intend to take it that far, but the words just kept coming out and hated himself for it. He really didn’t want to hurt her but he also didn’t want to be hurt by her. Hopefully she would forgive him once this was all over.

While their Trainer’s engaged in psychological warfare, the two Water-types continued their battle of attrition. Close Call had launched himself from one of the trees and was now shooting himself at Mizuki like an airborne missile. The Samurott took it upon herself to dive underwater in an evasive maneuver so that when her foe broke the water’s surface and struck her in the back much of his momentum was lost thanks to water’s higher density and his natural buoyancy. That strategy wouldn’t work a second time though as the water was already receding back into the soil from whence it came. In a moment there wouldn’t be enough depth for her to dive again.

“Try to finish him off quickly Mizuki! Use Megahorn!” Shiro shouted returning his attention back to the fight he felt more comfortable engaging in. He had no idea how to handle Dana or what the right things to say to her were, but he knew how to direct his Pokémon in battle. That offered a small measure of solace in an otherwise perilous situation.

Mizuki lunged forward through the water as fast as she could until she was right on top of the Floatzel. By now the water level had dropped enough for her to plant her feet as she swung her head so that her horn was aimed at Close Call’s chest.

Whatever happened in the Virbank Gym couldn’t be worse than what she’d endured at Driftveil’s, Dana had once thought. So many men there had a thing for underage girls, she was shocked it wasn’t the Battle Subway and they weren’t all named Jared. But a five-dollar footlong didn’t sound so bad upon realizing that Clyde had drugged the free water he’d given her on the way in.

“It was meant for you, not your Pokémon,” Roxie clarified, as Close Call lapsed in and out of consciousness. The question of what they put in Fresh Waters for them to work better than the store-bought Potion had crawled like a half-dead bug in the shelves of Dana’s long-discarded thoughts. Now it buzzed with the swarm of her countless other protests, lost and unanswered in the roar of an ongoing concert. The scenes of her Gym challenge, which played out on the club’s side wall with accompanying health bars and status effects, said nothing of Floatzel’s condition but that he was “asleep.” The things she swore Roxie wouldn’t get away with were all part of a show.

“When I saw your pretty face on the security cameras, I knew I had to make special preparations,” the Gym Leader said huskily. “Which involved you ‘blacking out.’ And not the kind where you’re going back to the Pokémon Center.”

Dana should have left the moment she learned that her Grimer’s Black Sludge was a five-day-old turd. So many Virbank trainers gave their Grimer shit, she was shocked this wasn’t a bedroom and they weren’t all named Amber Heard. The force of each Poison-type move was so much greater than she’d expected that she’d stared at her rapidly thinning Super Potion stock in disbelief.

“The carpal tunnel in my arms makes it impossible for me to give you my badge even if you win…” the Leader added. She’d been strumming her guitar with her teeth all this time, and Dana hadn’t minded so long as it took her predatory eyes off her. Now that she got a closer look at the makeshift pick between Roxie’s smile, she noted the familiar glint of a League medal. “You’ll have to get it yourself. With your mouth!”

The girl prayed that Milo, whom she’d lost in the crowd on her way to the stage, wasn’t watching. She had not imagined that her second Gym challenge would be her first kiss, and that it’d be with a girl. She was 100% straight, which, if move accuracy and sexuality had anything in common, did not explain how she could miss so bad. If Dana couldn’t preserve her innocence, then perhaps she could at least save her friend’s.

“You’ll also get the TM for Venoshock, which is the perfect move to use on yourself if you ever misplace your vibr-” Roxie tried to say, but stopped to catch the Toxic Badge that slipped from her jaws.

“I’ve been afraid to ask… but what exactly happens if I lose?”

“Oh, nothing crazy,” the singer answered. “You’ll just join me, Nicky, and Billy Jo as the fourth member of our band. We’ll call it the Fearsome Foursome.”

Maybe it was the crowd’s energy, her altruistic desire to complete her challenge so Milo could start his, or the simple fact of waking up on the right side of the bed that allowed Dana to enter a sort of zone. No, it was the sheer realization that she was fucked that sailed like a needle in the draft of the day’s positive developments and pricked this part of her brain. There was a new, determined air to the girl who stood in Dana's place, who now wished that her friend could see her and be inspired. Her next words to her opponent were like a calm eye in the center of a raging storm, shedding the uncertainty of what she’d last said and walking the tight rope between fight and flight.

“Sorry, but I’m not interested in a foursome.”

~~~

“You’re right. I’m not the girl you thought I was. I'm a liar and a hypocrite, and you shouldn’t trust a word I say...” Dana replied. “I’ve been dishonest with myself for so long, striving for a purpose I didn't yet know, ‘helping.’ But I got to a point where I was running toward nothing and away from everything. There was a void in me that wouldn’t fill no matter what I did.”

The feeling she’d denied for the latter half of her journey was like the water that drained under Close Call's feet, a hole sinking the strong walls of the person she’d worked to become faster than she could replenish it. She didn't think she could lose her foundation so easily, when the welcome result of a clean environment and the unsuccessful outcome of Milo’s Gym challenge were equally purposeful beams to the positive construction of herself. A part of her wanted to make Shiro understand. But she realized that they could never quite be on the same page lest he do what he refused and surrender.

“I know you don’t believe the things you said about me, because you still speak of this path as if it’s not my own,” Dana said solemnly. She raised her hand, then drew it back—the faintest signal to Floatzel when she had no real influence over him, or to Shiro, who was slipping away. The closer Mizuki got, the farther Dana’s partner drifted to her peripheral vision, subtly swaying the course of Samurott’s charge with Whirlpools that blossomed under her steps. The most drastic turn came like the swift jerk of a sink handle just as she planted her feet, stopping the flow of her resistance and driving her horn toward the empty air.

“The lights gave me a purpose, Shiro. One that going to White Forest with you never could. One that can only be fulfilled if I defeat you here.”

A normal trainer’s words would have danced in the sudden stillness of that decisive opening. But the resolve in Dana’s tone had not changed, even as the winds of battle blew in her favor. Her partner’s subsequent strike, which concluded the fight and laid Shiro’s before him, was merely a cold edge to her steely conviction.

Last edited:

Psycho Monkey

As agile as ever, the Floatzel side stepped Mizuki’s strike and landed the decisive blow to her right flank causing her to topple over. Shiro cursed under his breath at the inevitability of this outcome. Close Call was clearly the stronger Pokémon even without the Lights pulling his strings. Shiro doubted Mizuki could have won even in a friendly battle with Dana. But he was still just one Pokémon and he had taken a few good hits from the Samurott meaning Shiro’s next Pokémon should be able to take him down.

“You did well out there Mizuki. Rest now.” called Shiro returning his Starter to her Pokéball. No sooner than he did, Close Call turned his attention to Shiro and raced at him with Aqua Jet faster than the Trainer could blink. “What the--!?” he yelped as the Sea Weasel Pokémon grabbed his arms from behind holding him tightly. No matter how much Shiro struggled, he couldn’t break free from the Floatzel’s grip to reach any of the other Pokéballs on his belt.

“Don’t worry Shiro. Soon you will understand everything.” Dana said calmly as she walked towards him. “You just need to submit.” Above her head he saw a silhouette obscured by the fog. The shadow razed an arm which began glowing. Green. Yellow. Red. Shiro began struggling even harder as fear started to take over.

“No! You won’t use me for this!” he shouted closing his eyes tightly and turning his head away.

“Submit!”

The boy could feel his head being pulled forward by some invisible force. No one was touching him so what could it be? He now felt as if a vice was clamped around the inside of his skull squeezing his brain. The pain was unbearable!

Open your eyes and submit!

Was that voice inside Shiro’s mind? In spite of the danger, Shiro did as commanded. Anything to make the pain stop. A sleek brown human sized being levitated before him with its arm in his face flashing red, green, and yellow. Beheeyem. Why didn’t he realize this sooner? He could have prepared better if only he knew what he was really dealing with. But the longer he stared the foggier his mind became.

“It’s... Lights...” he whispered groggily.

Yes, that’s right. Sleep. Sleep is safe. Sleep is comforting. Sleep is eternal. Now, forever sleep. Sleep in the darkest abyss. You shall wander the abyss forever. Good night Shiro. Our new vessel.

“What’s... happeni...” trailed Shiro as his consciousness faded away.
---------

When Shiro’s body fell limp in Close Call’s arms the Floatzel released him causing the boy to slump to the ground. The Beheeyem around him shrieked gleefully over their victory. What fun they had playing with him this night! Yes, much fun indeed! To think this human thought he stood a chance and could best them when he did not even know the rules of their game. Such a pitiful creature. He had done well to last this long but now the game was won as it always was.

Six humans had wandered into their territory and now all six were theirs. First the prideful one. Then came the foreigner. The fearful one made three. Plucking the runaway from under the hero’s nose was all too easy. While the runaway played her game with the hero, the first three were able to find the frail one and bring her into the fold as well. Five vessels. One left. And now the hero had been claimed as well. A fine addition to their collection.

Yet still one loose end remained. The beckoner was still unaccounted for. No matter. It was no longer any concern. The beckoner was now masterless and grossly outnumbered besides. They now controlled countless puppets to fight for them and shield them should it interfere. Indeed, what new thralls did the would-be hero possess? They knew of the sealion, the digger, and the bird from their games and early reconnaissance had revealed a toothy dragon as well. They probed Shiro’s mind to get him to give up his secrets. Ah there! His last two were a fire monkey and... a tricksy fox!? The Cerebral Pokémon hissed in anger. So that was the source of the bamboozle on the cliff! Creatures of the dark like this one had a certain resistance to their power of the mind making them impossible to control or predict. While its illusory power would have been useful to them if they could convince it to ally with them, it was too dangerous if it refused. Tricksy foxes could not be trusted. Need that one, they did not!

The hero needed to be punished for using such a deception. He would pay with his memories! To make the runaway easier to control they took or distorted her happiest, most precious memories leaving behind only anger and hate. His pain would be more severe. From him they would take everything. His name. His home. The faces of his loved ones. His adventures as a Trainer. His childhood. His dreams and aspirations. Everything was to be ripped out and purged. The hero would be left an empty vessel to play whatever role they wanted to give him. He could be a brilliant artist or even a scholar! He could be a samurai of old or a Knight of Plasma! Ah yes. That would be a fun role. The runaway too. She hated Team Plasma, she loathed them, despised them. But what is hate if not the opposite of love? If those feelings could be reversed, then a fanatically loyal Plasma she would become! Oh what a fun, glorious game this was turning out to be! The others shall partake willingly in this façade as well!
---------

And so it was that the Beheeyem would play with their thralls like dolls acting out all sorts of deranged scenarios for their amusement. When the sun finally rose, the aliens departed for their hidden lair leaving the six humans cast aside like yesterday’s trash for the next passerby to discover and report to the police. Yet more victims of the unsolved mystery that was The Strange Lights of Route 14.