• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS The Skarmbliss problem

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I'm doing research for an upcoming Clinic report and want all anyone has to say on the famous 'Skarmbliss' problem.

I personally have no experience of it, so full explanation of the problem and your own encounters of it.

I want stuff I can quote too.

The special report will be up sometime between now and July. It may not be the next report but it will be around soon enough.

All and any comments are appreciated.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Don't know much about the Skarmory issue, but I've found that when it comes to NetBattle Blissey a Fighting Pokemon with Guts tends to do the trick. Blissey tends to rely on Toxic, Soft Boiled, and Sesmic Toss... Possibly Double Team/Minimize aswell (I could be horribly mistaken and this isn't the standard set at all, but it's the one I've contended with the most). My Hariyama moveset very much destroys it:

Bulk Up
Vital Throw
Yadda, yadda

Bulk Up a bit to raise your attack stat, wait till it Toxic's you to induce the Guts attack-boost, then use the never-miss Vital Throw - 1-hit KO (even with its oober high HP stat). No having to worry about its damn healing.

Of course everyone isn't going to use this specific moveset and Pokemon just to beat the darn thing, but the basis of my strategy is still the same: power-up and use a never-miss attack to rid yourself of its healing and evasive-ness issues. Having Guts around just makes things that much sweeter.

Meh. It's the brute-force approach, but it works.

EDIT:

I'll add a bit more description to my post.

When I first downloaded NetBattle I was warned to watch out for Blissey. It is considered one of the cheap "ubers" - not to be confused with Legendaries. Uber in NetBattle just seems to mean anything that's a bitch to fight, Legendary or not. Now, I think the reason why Blissey is such a threat is because of its high HP stat and ability to heal. It can withstand pretty much all normal attacks unless your Pokemon is powered up (which mine was the times I battled against it). Raising its evasiveness only adds to the pain, as well as something like Toxic. Blissey's attack stats may be horrid, but with Toxic and its ability to survive for long periods of time it doesn't matter. Again, though, I'm not 100% sure if the moveset I listed above is the "uber Blissey" people talk of. For all I know it could have Sesmic Toss or Substitute instead. Someone else will have to confirm it.

My experiences with Blissey have all been the same, though. They bring Blissey out, I switch in Hariyama, they Toxic me (a bad move), I use Bulk Up once or twice, then I let it rip. I don't think I've lost to Blissey using this strategy before, although some opponents will switch out to twart it - not all. Some think Blissey will survive the strike... :p

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Do you know what the "standard" Skarmory moveset is? I'm just surprised that people seem to find it so "00ber" when my own experience has found it fairly useless & easy to KO in battle.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
After reading stuff at Pokeschool it seems that Skarmory and Blissey are usually only a problem if they're together, and it has something to do with Blissey using Toxic, switching to Skarmory, and Skarmory using Spikes and Roar. It's the old infect-the-whole-team approach by forcing the switch. Substitute may possibly be involved in the strategy too, though. Not really too sure... Again, never really had to deal with it.

Katie, hand me the master sword.

The skarmbliss problem is that Skarmory and Blissey when used together are rather difficult to defeat. (I wonder if that's exactly what Linkachu and Baratron could have been discussing..... :roll: )