• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Sheer Force + Life Orb Conundrum

This has had me confused and I was wondering if someone could clear this up.
Serebii says that if a Pokemon with Sheer Force uses a recoil move while holding a life orb it doesn't receive damage from the life orb. However, other places are saying that if a Pokemon with Sheer Force uses a move that Sheer Force powers up while holding a life orb it doesn't receive damage from the life orb. I'm not sure which to trust. I'm more inclined to believe the second one as more people believe it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've been wondering this, too, but don't have my own Life Orb yet to test. Bulbapedia says the latter, but there have been so many contradictions with info this gen that I really can't believe anything but actual player reports...

Right, tried this out on my Japanese Black Game.

Gave my Druddigon a Life Orb and used the following attacks:

-Slash
-Crunch
-Dragon Claw
-Chip Away

Of the four moves, Druddigon did not receive Life Orb recoil when using Crunch, which without sheer force, lowers the defense of the opponent by chance. I think this pretty much confirms that Sheer Force does indeed nullify Life Orb damage, but only if used with a move that normally has an effect. (Don't know why it didn't work with Slash though, since that also has a critical hit ratio effect)

RX said:
Right, tried this out on my Japanese Black Game.

Gave my Druddigon a Life Orb and used the following attacks:

-Slash
-Crunch
-Dragon Claw
-Chip Away

Of the four moves, Druddigon did not receive Life Orb recoil when using Crunch, which without sheer force, lowers the defense of the opponent by chance. I think this pretty much confirms that Sheer Force does indeed nullify Life Orb damage, but only if used with a move that normally has an effect. (Don't know why it didn't work with Slash though, since that also has a critical hit ratio effect)

Sheer Force doesn't work on moves with high critical hit ratios (unless they also have secondary effects.)